Chat

1666768697072»

Replies

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,551 Member
    edited September 30
    Thank you, y'all have been in my heart as well since it went up the middle of the country! I'm concerned about Carole since she is in Eastern TN! If you are out there, Carole, please let us know how you are doing!

We were fine. A little bit of wind and rain, but we only got a couple of the tailing edges of the storm. Much of the mountain area of NC, western side is devastated. I haven't seen much on TV about Hickory, where we lived before, but I've heard it was hit too, although not as severely as other areas. Praise the Lord we were spared. We were watching a YouTube video on some of the areas and one town was completely wiped out, not even debris left behind! Parts of Hwy 40 are completely gone. Prayers for those who are suffering right now.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    I was worried about Carole, too! Pepper Basham (author) is right in the middle of a mess, I guess. She has sporadic cell coverage, but no water or power. The roads are basically gone, but they were lucky enough to be able to get far enough to get water. Flushing the toilet seems to be an issue - getting enough water. She said they are counting the 1.6 gallon flushes. I am hoping that they found creek or river water to use and aren't having to pay for drinking water to use. She said they were very lucky that they had a full tank of gas in their car. They were cooking on their grill.
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,756 Member
    Yes, Kim. I hope you're staying high and dry. Praying that it didn't hit hard in your area.
  • Restfinder
    We didn't get as much from this storm as we got from the storm the week before! We did fine. I sent a note to Carole and she and Beth and Daniel are all fine. She said she was going to try and get on soon. She's been without electricity or communication for a couple of days. Praise the Lord. It's hard to believe that they suffered so much from a hurricane that far inland. That's usually where we run to when there is a hurricane on the coast! There's another storm out there heading in the same direction as well! God knows!

I have my CT scan tomorrow. It's a rough breathing day today as well as pain on the right side. I couldn't cross my leg yesterday the pain in my inner thigh was so bad. Now my hip is aching and I'm having to be careful about how I move that leg. Thank you for your prayers y'all.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,809 Member
    Praying, Kim. Let us know when you hear something about the MRI.

I'm glad you got ahold of Carole. I was a bit worried. I watched a video today about the vast need for helicopters. Evidently that is the main way that they can find a lot of the people in the mountains, and the government is not helping. There are a few military helicopters from what I have heard, but they can't do anything until they get orders, so they are grounded. The helicopters that are going in with supplies and extracting people are doing it on their own dime. I can't verify, but it sounds pretty true. I would share the video link, but the language on it was horrible!
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,756 Member
    edited October 4
    Praying your CT scan goes well today, Kim.

On another note, did you hear that FEMA is running out of money? They do not have enough to cover the rest of hurricane season. That's because they were using their money on other things... Praying that people here who need the help are able to get it.
  • Restfinder
    Thank you for your prayers. I called my doctor's office this morning to see if the results were in. They are sitting in my chart but the doctor hasn't looked at them yet. I may not know anything until Monday! I've left it in the Lord's hands.

I was watching a little bit of Glenn Beck this morning and he had gone to NC and was in a helicopter taking people out of different areas. While they were driving somewhere he saw a FEMA truck behind a deserted building and the people from the truck were sitting around a card table. They had just gotten there and they were going to take the names of people who had needs and get it to Washington so they could get a check out to them. How they are going to do that when people can't get to them and when their banks and post offices and mailboxes and homes no longer exist - well, guess they hadn't thought of that. There was one other FEMA truck there, setting up showers for the workers, not the people in trouble, but for the workers trying to help them. They had helicopters going in and out of the Hickory Municipal Airport (right down the street from Mom's old house) and they were the regular people who brought their helicopters to help those in need. They'd pick up a load of food and goods and go find where folks had left X's on an open space and leave stuff with them or take out those who wanted to leave. It is going to take billions of dollars to just handle the infrastructure, let alone the homes that will need to be rebuilt. Hundreds of lives lost and probably a hundred more lost in the debris who they haven't even found! And, the government is nowhere in site, or doing useless things that aren't helping anyone! How on earth can Kamala be that close to Trump in the polls!?! I was watching one of the guys YouTube videos of his flying in to help people and I got to thinking that those people have no idea what the area around them looks like. They don't have phones or TV's to have seen any of it, just their neighborhood. They know that roads are washed away, but they haven't seen that whole towns have disappeared! Ach, so sad.

I hope that y'all have blessed weekend. Love you!