Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Options

Replies

• Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Shari, I applaud you for making something new. I like to experiment with new recipes too. Great that it takes good....the rest will come along next time. I bet it would be easier too to make it in your slow cooker. Let us know what you learn from the podcasts about nutrition. I am with you on the stress issue. My stress is not high now, but I am certain I gained the bulk of my weight during the last 12 years or so of my employment. My job became more and more stressful during those years. I am so glad to be out of there!

I did ok again yesterday and have healthy meals planned for today. Yesterday I went all day without feeling fatigued and without needing a nap. That is a big deal for me, since most days I need at least a brief nap at some point. And the night before wasn't even a particularly restful night for me. I allow myself to nap because I know how important sleep is in terms of managing RA. So maybe, just maybe, things are looking up for me with the RA.

Remembering our military who gave their lives for their country. Memory Eternal!
  • DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!! I’m back! I tried to check in with you over the long weekend but the hotel Wi-Fi wouldn’t permit me getting on the Community section of this site. Both of your floors look so nice and both rooms have so much natural light! Very uplifting!!
    After indulging too much at the dog shows, tomorrow I weigh in once again and start over! With the class reunion right around the corner, I need to get myself together!! Unfortunately, I will be volunteering at another dog show next weekend. A club that I belong to is putting on the show so I need to work it. The work is good exercise and fun but the food choices aren’t the most nutritious.
    My youngest dog didn’t sleep well in the hotel, which meant that I didn’t sleep well because I had to get up with her to stop her barking. I am looking forward to a good night’s sleep tonight! Have a great week!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    DW, I too have had difficulty when using hotel Wi-Fi, several years ago, the last time I traveled anywhere. You certainly have a busy schedule lately with your wonderful dog shows! I can understand how difficult it is to make healthy choices when few, if any, healthy choices are available. Never easy!

I have had a couple good days again. On Tuesday I made a very healthy veggie laden stir fry with some beef and turkey too. I made enough that we will have it again today. I love being able to just reheat an evening meal at times rather than having to cook something new. Yesterday was also an easy day as I made just some veggies as neither John nor I were very hungry.

My energy level yesterday wasn't great, but it is a little better today. I am glad that I was able to rest a bit yesterday. It was unseasonably warm here yesterday with temps in the 90s for the 2nd day in a row. Our weather is more seasonable today but we are having rain too.
  • shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I would love to go on a trip, but we don't have anything planned. A trip to the mountains is too costly in the summer. Hotels go from $160 to $350 a night. We can't go anywhere since we have no one to look after Moe. Just one more year and we will have our youngest back who will watch him for us. My dad isn't well enough to come stay out here at the farm and my mom doesn't want any dogs inside. We will enjoy our summer here. I have my garden, which I love. I plan to go away in the winter with a friend so that is something to look forward to.

I am listening to a few podcasts from Freely Rooted. Not all of the episodes apply to me- way past pregnancy and raising children. There are episodes on how to correct adrenal fatigue after chronic stress. I find it very interesting and relatable. I am trying their meal plans, just easing into them. It's way more food than any other diet I have been on. I think it's been helpful in reducing how much stress I feel in my body. Even if it is a placebo, I will take it.

I am not doing well with any kind of weight loss, so I am hoping that if I learn how to manage my stress emotionally with counselling along helping nourish my body, it will bring my weight back into balance. I do hope to a lower number. I don't want to keep gaining year after year. I will see what happens over the next month.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello! I hope you are both doing well!! I tried to post last night and couldn’t stay awake to finish the post. I worked at a dog show all weekend and was exhausted. I also had too many goodies available to eat all weekend but am back trying to get the scale to go down but am not following a specific plan. I have been walking the dog for exercise for both of us. Somehow knowing that she needs the walk is more motivating than me needing the walk.
    My next dog show will be a hour from here, which is awesome! I’ll drive back and forth from home. I’ll be showing my dog myself but will need to get her comfortable with showing outside.
    It’s about 1 1/2 months until my class reunion so I need to start seeing some results or figuring out how to get results. Here’s hoping for a great week for us all!!
  • shariletts
    Options
    DW- I have not been exercising as I had been. I have been watering my garden, which adds up to a number of steps, but it is not good enough. My son goes home today, so I am going to get back to a better routine tomorrow. Like you, I am running out of time to figure out this weight loss thing. I have one month before I throw out any clothes that no longer fit, or are too tight. I wish you well at the dog show.

Let's hope it is a great week for us all!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, I agree that the costs associated with traveling can be quite high. DW, you are fortunate to get a break in hotel fees through dog associations. Group rates help a lot. My days to travel are over due to my health issues. I am glad I traveled when I was younger, healthier, and able to do so. I miss being able to travel to see our family in Texas and Florida, as does John, but between my health issues and the high cost of travel, it just makes sense for us to be home....which we do enjoy anyway.

Can't believe I haven't posted here in about a week. That is unusual for me. Not sure where the time went. I had a very bad day on Saturday (slept just about all day)...an extreme flare that calmed down by later on Sunday. Otherwise I have been doing ok, mostly busy with a lot of online church activities. One of our book studies is over now till the fall so that frees me up a bit. Our Bible study with my cousin's church in Florida will finish in late June. Of course our regular and special weekday and weekend services continue as usual. I continue to be very grateful for live streaming.

I saw my family doctor yesterday and weighed in 3 pounds less than when I saw her in March. I felt so pleased, even with this small amount of progress. When I got home I read my office visit summary online and found that she noted that I gained 5 pounds. Wrong! I went back and checked all of my recent visits. Comparing all of my previous weigh ins at her office, none would support that I gained 5 pounds based on yesterday's weight. It infuriated me, but of course I doubt that I will bring it up, at least not right away. She is a great doctor (and overweight herself and quite a bit younger than me). I expect that she is sensitive to weight issues. Yesterday it looked to me like SHE gained weight since my last visit. LOL.
  • shariletts
    Options
    Hey Everyone- I am so out of routine! I am working at getting all of my healthy habits back in check. Finding supportive community on MFP being one of them. I am not sure what happened to change up my morning.

We have our last bible study meeting tonight. It is always a good time once I get there. It can be hard to be motivated to get out of the door.

Great news on the weight loss Paula. Not sure where the disconnect was with your doctor. I would be thrilled to be down 3 pounds!!! I am stuck at a high weight- but I am trying to nourish my body so it will let go of the extra pounds. It's seem like a physical and mental war.

• DW2022
    Options
    Hello! Paula- congrats on the weight loss! Shari- I’m with you in trying to get back to healthy habits! I’m back to mindless snacking at night and think I could make progress if I wasn’t doing that. I know what I need to do but doing it is the problem!
    I recently learned that my Dr, who I really like, is leaving in August. I am so sad about that because her mother was my Dr before she retired and I really liked her also! Another woman is taking over the practice and I will give her a chance …..Have a great weekend!
  • shariletts
    Options
    I have been monitoring my morning temperature and blood pressure- both are low. It wasn't that long ago that my BP was too high. I think my hormones are unbalanced and even after a week or two of eating more nutrient rich foods, I haven't made much progress. I will see what another week of my eating plan will do. I still haven't made the time to add in my exercise back into my daily schedule. I need to!

I really need to find a new doctor and book a physical this summer. It's not easy to find a doctor taking new patients these days. I will have to make an effort. I loved my do too DW. So sad he retired.

I also found out some news about my heritage. I am mostly Finn. Since my dad is adopted I always wondered about his roots. My mom was curious too. She paid for half of the DNA test and I so surprised to find out that I am half Finn. I thought my dad would have more of a mix, but he is 100% Finn. I thought my mom would be 100% Russian since she was born in Belarus, but she had more of a mix with roots in the Baltics and Russia. All three of those regions border each other which I found quite interesting. My children are mad that I sent in my DNA. I knew they would be before I did it. I am okay with it.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, I understand your ideas about your hormones. Peri menopause and menopause really can do a number on hormones, and then with added stress, it can get complicated. I agree this is a physical and mental war. Interesting DNA results! I did my DNA several years ago and was identified as 100% Eastern European, which is what I suspected. Over the years, Ancestry.com has further refined the geographic explanation. The most recent update is Eastern Europe and Russia 76%, Baltics 20%, Balkans 3%, and Sweden & Denmark 1%.

DW, like you, I know what I need to do, but doing it consistently is a different story! For me some days are just so much easier than others.

Good luck to both of you with new doctors. I am grateful that I have been with mine since 1999. By the way, I had to call my doctor's office about another matter, and when speaking to the office gal, I told her about the inaccurate weigh my doc reported in the notes from my visit on Monday. The office gal looked up the chart and agreed with what I said and said she would tell my doctor. So far when I check my online chart the error hasn't been corrected....probably won't be. But, this is extremely motivating to me to drop more weight before my next appointment which is scheduled for September.

• shariletts
    Options
    I have been so bloated the last few days. I am not 100% sure what is triggering me. Maybe dairy. I have had more milk than normal lately. I hope it dissipates soon.

I have started to go through some clothes that no longer fit. I don't think I will get into them again so I will take them to the thrift store. Someone else can enjoy them. I found a size 0 pair of shorts. Not are they too small, they would be short to wear at my age. It will be nice to have more room in my drawers for clothes that will fit!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, I applaud you for going through your clothes. I used to do that from time to time but haven't done it a lot lately. I,too, could use the extra room in my drawers and closet. A size 0! Wow, I never ever was anywhere near that size. I think if I had something in size 0 I would frame it and hang it on the wall. LOL I cannot tolerate milk products as I became lactose intolerant about 13 years ago. It keeps me away from ice cream, but occasionally I have a taste if John is having some. For me, a spoonful or so doesn't cause much, if any, problem. I buy lactose free milk, more expensive, but worth it to me to have a bowl of cereal now and then. My past few days have been ok but not great. I don't think I gained, but I don't think I lost anything either.

It's been a sad beginning to my week. On Sunday a dear friend of my family passed away. She was 93. She, her husband, & son were extremely close friends of my family from way back in the 1960s. Her husband is still alive and was very much a 2nd father to me. He stepped in to help and support me at times when my own father and mother sort of didn't. We have stayed in touch mostly through letters in recent years because their hearing had failed quite a bit and phone calls were difficult for them to hear. I will not be able to attend the funeral because of my mobility and health issues. I can't stop thinking about her, her husband, and her son. Also, my friend Alice's husband passed away. He was 85, had dementia, and was in hospice care for the past few weeks. Alice is my closest friends from church. And again, I won't be able to attend the funeral. I have been in touch and supportive of Alice multiple times a day, especially in the last few days.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello! Paula, I am so sorry for all of your losses! I have been thinking of you since I read your post! Shari, I need to set a deadline for myself to either be able to wear clothes or pass them along. I have many pairs of jeans with tags on them that I got on sale because I would be able to wear them "someday". I think that I would be happier with myself if I just let them go! I will give myself until the end of August because that's when folks will start looking for long jeans again and that's when I should have time to purge clothes again.
    My Aunt's memorial service is being held in July (she passed in 1/21) and I learned this week that my son will be coming for a few days to attend. I encouraged him not to feel like he needed to be there but he does feel that way and I am thrilled to spend any time with him that I can!! I have been spending a lot of time helping my daughter. She is going through some stuff figuratively and literally and I have been helping with both. I am helping her with things at her home that I should be doing at mine -LOL!! I hope that you both have a nice weekend!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    DW, How sweet of your son to come for your Aunt's memorial service! He must be a really special guy. I bet your aunt was a special lady too.

Thank you DW for your kind words. A close friend of mine attended the funeral yesterday for my 93 year old friend. My friend called me last night and filled me in on things went. That helped me as it gave me a little sense of being there. I have been in touch with her son and through him with her husband. It's not the same as being there in person, but it is still a form of connecting anyway.

Yesterday was a good diet day for me. So far today is good too. My energy level these past few days has been pretty good which helps keep me on track. I have been focusing on going to bed earlier. I think helps a bit. I have a few items on my to do list today, but I am keeping it reasonable since today is a weekend day.
  • shariletts
    Options
    I have not been great with routine lately. I don't know what is going on, but I need to get my old habits back! One of them being checking in here. My sleep patterns are off as well.

I am sorry to hear about the losses and trust you will be able to hold onto the special memories.

I am not doing well at all with weight loss. It just won't budge and if anything, it just goes up. I am not going to go back on the 17 day diet. I think my metabolism needs to heal after all of my stress the last few years. I am working on it, but after two weeks, I don't think much has changed. I press on to keep learning and trying to adopt healthy habits. I will see if I can check regularly like I used to.
  • shariletts
    Options
    I am back- working on getting my routines back and checking in here is part of that, so here I am.

I don't think I overate yesterday even though I was out for dinner. I didn't finish my meal and I ordered smaller. We went to a Southern cooking restaurant and it ended up not being very good at all. But the company was wonderful.

This week the man that I issued a restraining order should be getting charged. He has broken it four times and my friend was ready to have the police arrest him. She is super stressed about it, I am a bit worried for my safety. I think he will blame me for getting charged. I will be keeping vigil about my surroundings going forward. He has a lot of money and is a complete narcissist and I just don't how revengeful of a man he is.

I am still stuck with my higher weight. I will see how today goes. It would help my motivation to see a downward trend begin.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello! Shari, prayers for your safety and your friend’s!! Paula, I hope you are doing well!!
    I have purchased another diet book. It focuses on protein timing so far. It is called The Whole Body Reset and is supposed to be for older adults. I’m just starting to read it and try it. I’ll let you know if there is any success.
    Tomorrow I have to drive a couple of hours with my husband to pick up a painting from a show that is over. Then, in the evening, we go to another art opening that is local. Have a great weekend !!
  • shariletts
    Options
    DW- let me know how the book is. I would be interested in picking it up if you think it looks good. I bought a menu plan for helping fix a slow metabolism. I think I was feeling better, but no weight was coming off. I am taking a bit of a break to see if I can lose some weight first. The daily calorie intake is 2200-2400 and that is hard to wrap my head around. I feel like I would gain weight if I ate that much, even if it is healthy food.

Enjoy your drive and the art! That sounds like a great way to spend time with your DH.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, So glad you are back in your routine and that checking here is a component of that routine. I so look forward and appreciate the sharing and caring that we have here in this group. I,too, will pray for your safety. It sure is a scary situation.

DW, Like Shari, I am interested in the info in your new book. Hope you have a nice time driving for the painting. Is your DH an artist? Are you? I have no talent in that area whatsoever. I always say that I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler!

I have been focusing on making healthy food choices and watching my portion size (that is always an issue for me). I have had a few good days again. I have been very fatigued the past few days which is why I haven't been posting lately. But this time tried hard not to cave on easy unhealthy foods. I have been resting quite a bit, and after I rest I do better with food choices. Tonight my friend Kellie and her DH are coming here for pizza. Kellie is the friend who drove me and John to meet and bring home Buster. She volunteers for the shelter doing marketing, promos, etc. We always have a nice time when we get together. They understand my mobility issues and are willing to come here instead of my having to go to their home. Kellie's DH is extremely thin and active (running, swimming, cycling etc.). Kellie is average build and likes to walk and cycle. The interesting thing is that her DH weighs and measures all of his food! He is exceptionally weight conscious! A good example for me. I need that type of self discipline. My hunger level usually seems to exceed my recommended portion size.