Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Replies

• DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 331 Member
    Hello! Shari, have a great vacation!! Paula, I hope the food festival was as awesome as it sounds!
    I had my Dr appt to discuss the MRI results and will start PT on Tuesday . It seems that arthritis in my lower back has narrowed one side of my spine and is causing pressure in nerves in my right leg. He increased my medication and I am looking forward to PT to find out what I can do to get stronger and prevent increased pressure. From what I’ve read, losing weight would be very beneficial 😂😂😂like I haven’t been working on that for 20 years! I’m continuing to walk and do Silver Sneakers but gave up yoga about a month ago due to the discomfort. At any rate, I am continuing my weight loss journey with renewed motivation for my health and to be able to continue with my dogs. I hope to be checking in here more regularly! Have a great week!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 1,045 Member
    Safe travels Shari! Enjoy, enjoy!

I had a great time at the food festival but was absolutely exhausted when we got home. I was a total of about 5 hours from the time I left home til we got back. That really wiped me out. I did eat too many pierogie, but now that is out of my system, and I probably won't have them again til next year. Buster was a great guy in the car with everyone. This was the first time my 2 friends met him, and of course he was a big hit. It was also the first time all of us have been together since the pandemic began...a very nice way to be together again. We all talk on the phone with each other (we are all at the same church), but since I am not back at church we haven't been all together till today.
  • Paulawilldo
    (don't know why this got cut from my post above)

DW, Good news that PT could help alleviate your pain. I have tremendous respect for physical therapists. John has had PT from the time he was little until he was in his early 20s. All of the physical therapists we met have been very good and very helpful. I hope you have a good experience and that you reap the benefits of their expertise.
  • shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 893 Member
    Glad you enjoyed some pierogies Paula. I am not sure I could eat them only once a year. I may have to try my hand at making them again.

I really hope PT will do a lot of good DW. Together we have to get this weight loss train moving again.
  • shariletts
    We made to Las Vegas. The travel went very smoothly for us. I am so excited to be on vacation. DH and I have very different sleep schedules so I will have to be patient waiting for him to wake up and get the day started. Have a good day all!
  • Paulawilldo
    Shari, So glad you had a safe and smooth trip. I am excited for you to be having this much deserved vacation. I hope you relax and have fun every day. Will look forward to hearing about your trip.

Today was a relatively productive day for me and a healthy eating day too. I hope to do reasonably well tomorrow, my friend Sandi's birthday. She and another friend of ours are coming here to celebrate her birthday with a take out lunch from a local restaurant (to be determined when they get here). Our friend is making a special dessert for Sandi's birthday (something with pumpkin that Sandi has enjoyed in the past). So I think I have a chance to stay on the healthy side as we celebrate.

Praying for the folks impacted by Hurricane Ian, including my relatives who live in Tampa FL.
  • DW2022
    Hello! Paula, I join you in praying for the people in FL! Shari, I hope you have a fabulous vacation!
    My first PT appointment was this morning. I’m going twice per week for now and have homework ( exercises). She said that my gait problems have been developing over time and it will be several months before I see any change. We are working on strengthening my core to support my spine better. I have had significantly less pain since starting the medication but the Dr.mentioned wanting to eventually wean me off it. It is not a narcotic but it would be good to make progress and get off it!
    I have another dog show weekend but it is close to home and I am happy about that! Have a good Wednesday and Paula, enjoy the birthday celebration!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Wonderful news DW that you are experiencing less pain. Are you taking an NSAID (non steroidal anti-inflamatory drug) for the pain? I am just curious because I have on going pain every day. I have been on an NSAID for quite a long time. Speaking of pain, I recently developed pain in my right shoulder. I think it came from lifting a heavy box over the weekend. The pain is worse when I try to lift something, so I am being extra careful right now. Sheesh, always something!

We had a very very nice birthday celebration for my friend. I know she appreciated it very much. We ordered take out. I got chicken piccata. It was absolutely delicious. It came with pasta which was also so good but once again too high in carbs for me. My other friend (not the birthday girl) brought us more fresh veggies from her garden. With autumn here now, this might be the last such gift from her till next year. I am now stocked up again with tomatoes and peppers which really does help me to stay on track. Let's hope!
  • DW2022
    Hello! I’m happy to hear that the birthday celebration was so fun! Our tomato garden is done for the season and our green peppers didn’t do well. I’m taking gabapentin for the nerve pain but occasionally take ibuprofen for other pain. I’ve been faithful in doing my PT exercises and have another appointment tomorrow. I also have to do a dog bath for the show on Friday. I just discovered that I once again get one of my favorite tv shows “Living Alaska”. Have a great Thursday!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Thanks for the info on your med DW. It makes sense now that I think of it given your nerve pain. I know someone else taking that med, and it has help with nerve pain. Congrats on keeping up with your PT exercises. John learned a lot from his many years of PT. He still does some of his PT exercises to this day.

I did my grocery pick up today and am once again well stocked with healthy foods. But, John wanted pizza tonight so I agreed. It had green peppers and mushrooms so at least there were veggies lol. Today went by really quickly as did the entire week. Hard to believe that tomorrow is Friday and that October starts on Saturday! I am hoping for a little down time tomorrow and Saturday, but of course I have a to do list to take care of for Friday. Still deciding what I will do on Saturday.
  • shariletts
    We made it home and had a wonderful trip! So relaxing and I think that has gone a long way to help my mental stress. I want to keep a more relaxed attitude as I think that will assist in my weight loss efforts.

Even after a week of vacation I am going to enjoy a day of sabbath. As much as I like to keep busy, I know it's important to have a day of rest and I want to keep that rhythm up.

My weight is right back up, but that is after a week of eating out. I think it will come back down in a day or two. I feel like my metabolism is functioning better and I really hope that is a key to losing weight.

DW- so glad you are making progress with the nerve pain you are experiencing. I hope you find full relief very soon.

Paula- I need to restock so I have healthy food choices on hand. I don't really care for pizza, but that is because when you work with you it is a go-to menu item. It is usually cheap pizza too. DH loves pizza but it's not very often I will agree to having it. Maybe once I retire we will have "good" pizza from time to time.
  • Paulawilldo
    Welcome back Shari! So wonderful to read that you had a great vacation. I applaud you for enjoying the sabbath today. I agree with you....it is important to keep that rhythm.

I have struggled to stay on track the past few days. Every now and then I cave to the "hungries," and that is what happened. Even today I could be doing better. I haven't weighed but am certain my weight is up again. It is a dreary, gray, damp, chilly, and very windy day here. It is a great day to be indoors. I am tempted to revert to high carb comfort food on a day like today. So far I have managed to avoid it, but I know I must really fight off this temptation for the rest of the day.

My shoulder pain is lessening but not completely gone yet. I am hoping it was just a strain or sprain that will heal over time. The pain is stronger depending on how I move the shoulder and what position it is in.

All in for a good week to come!
  • shariletts
    We had a lovely fall day here and I was able to spend some time outdoors. We had a fire although we didn't need it to keep warm.

I had a better eating day yesterday and today should be even better. My weight is still up at the highest end for me. I will have to work diligently to get it to start to shift down. I think I can do that today as I have the food choices all ready to make it easy.

i am sorry to hear that your shoulder pain is still affecting you Paula. Maybe a couple of more days and will start to have some relief. If not, you may need to get it checked out.

My goal is to be down one pound this week!
  • Paulawilldo
    Shari, I am sure you feel good to be getting right back on track after your vacation. Your goal is reasonable, and I know you can work diligently as we all strive to succeed together. Now is our time!!!

I had a great, almost perfect eating day today. I feel super about this. I made a soup in my blender and that helped keep me on track. I used a lot of fresh tomatoes from my friend's garden, added some seasonings including fresh garlic, added low salt chicken broth, and also blended in drained chick peas. I got the recipe online from Vitamix. The soup is delicious. We have enough for tomorrow. John is not much of a soup eater, and he said I should make this again and again. I think I will do so and will probably get a little creative and add other ingredients to experiment a bit.

My shoulder pain comes and goes. I am taking that to be a good sign, as long as it isn't getting worse. I didn't accomplish my to do list today because I felt a little tired, but I did enjoy the day, so tomorrow I will work harder on my list.

• shariletts
    Soup is so good this time of year. It's great that you found a soup that both you and John love. I have left so many tomatoes behind as I grew way too many this year. Even after eating them everyday and canning I have so many left. Next year I will plant half as many. I never made soup though!

I did not lose any weight yet. I will need to be more diligent today. I am tracking what I eat again so I expect that will help me see where I am going wrong.
  • Paulawilldo
    I started tracking the past few days but always end up skipping something by the end of the day. Ugh!
    I know that when I am more consistent I do better.

Here is one of the photos from Buster's photo shoot in late August. I finally got them...I was slow in deciding which ones I liked best to include in the package I purchased. Sorry the picture posts so large. I don't know how to make it smaller.
    o01rup10hvmi.jpg
  • DW2022
    Oh my goodness! Buster is SO CUTE!! Personality plus!! Shari, I’m glad you are home safely and had a nice vacation! Paula, I hope your shoulder feels better soon!
    I had a long weekend of dog shows and am also working toward getting back on track. I’ve also been thinking of soup and got onions at the store today. We have some of our homegrown tomatoes in the freezer and it has seemed cold enough for healthy chili. I might have time tomorrow . I had a PT appointment this morning, which was challenging . Have a good evening!
  • shariletts
    Buster is a cutie! Thanks for sharing a photo.

I hope the PT, while challenging is making an improvement for you DW.

This week I am learning a new software program. We get to stay home to watch the online training videos. I am catching on and pleased about that. Love that I don't have to commute, although I do have to go into the city this afternoon.

No weight loss to report yet, but I am eating at my upper limit. Tracking sure helps and I hope that I can keep at it.
  • Paulawilldo
    Thanks DW and Shari for your kind comments about Buster. He is certainly our sweetie pie.

DW, chili sounds so good to me. It is always a favorite in our house. When I make it, I make enough so we have it for a few days which gives me a break from cooking when I serve the leftover chili. Sometimes I make it with ground turkey.

Shari, good luck with learning that new software program, I admire you for being able to keep up with things like that. I am not very good at anything technical and am glad I have John to help me when I get stuck on even simple computer issues.

My day today was only so-so. I didn't stray too far, but again my carb count is higher than I like. I wasn't feeling at the top of my game and felt a little more tired than usual. But I did manage to pick up a grocery order and did well with that. It has been so very rainy here the past few days...remnants of Hurricane Ian, but of course nothing nearly as devastating as the damage in Florida and other southern areas. The dreary weather could be contributing to my lack of energy, maybe.
  • shariletts
    I wasn't too hungry yesterday and didn't eat too much, but my choices could have been much better. I will make better choices today for sure! I made it to Friday and we have a long weekend so that is exciting. No plans for tonight and I am happy to relax at home. I do have to drive in to the office today.

DH is very sick with a cold. We tested for Covid but he was negative. He said the cold is bad, but it does feel different to Covid.

I wanted to let you know that my nails seem stronger now that they are growing out. I did run out of collagen and haven't been eating as much gelatin, but now I know it does make a difference so I need to get back on having one or the either in my diet daily.

It's hard to keep all of the good habits going all at once for any length of time, but I won't give up.