Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Options

Replies

• DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hello! Paula, that is awesome that you are still in touch with high school friends! I have one friend that I stay in touch with by email but she lives a couple of hours away. I had actually been avoiding people from high school because I was a very different person as a teen than I am now, but, at the reunion, everyone was so nice and seemed happy to see us, so I am now facebook friends with a few of them. I am so happy to hear of your good lab results!
    Shari, I am still fighting weak,splitting and chipping nails, too. At this point I think that they need to grow out and have the weak areas replaced by stronger ones. As they chip and split, I am clipping off those ends. My hope is to be able to have pretty nails again by mid October when we have our national dog gathering. I hope you will be able to get extra rest this weekend!
    I saw the ortho Dr. yesterday and he thinks that my hip, knee and now ankle pain are due to a pinched nerve in my back. I don't have arthritis in my hip and knee (was sure I did!) but I do in my back. He is ordering an MRI-I'll see how that plays out with insurance. I did get some medication that allowed me to have a good night's sleep. He said that I could stay active......I saw a video of me gaiting my dog around the ring at the shows.....the dog looked great but my gait was terrible! I was in so much pain all weekend and it showed in my movement. I need to work on that and losing weight would be a great start! If only..... Have a fun weekend!
  • Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I went to a very small high school in a very small town. We had only 112 students in our graduating class. Most of us have been together since 6th grade so that allowed extra time to bond. Of the 8 of us who typically zoom together, only 2 remain in the area where we grew up. The other 6 of us are scattered around other parts of PA as well as parts of VA and NJ.

Shari, I hope you are able to get some extra rest this weekend. As you know, I find sleep very helpful in my day to day life. If I don’t feel well rested I am not good for much of anything. I recently read, too, that naps can contribute to a longer life.

DW, I am sure the pain from your pinched nerve is terrible. When I was a child my dad had a pinched nerve, and it was really painful. Any idea what might have caused your pinched nerve?

I had another so-so day. I wasn’t as compliant as I was earlier in the week, but I wasn’t as far off as on some other tough days. I am doubtful now that I will see good news at my weigh in with my doctor on Monday. Tonight John and I watched the new live action version of Disney’s Pinocchio starring Tom Hanks and really enjoyed it. I thought of you DW as we watched it. Are you making any plans for Disney World yet? I understand that the prices for just about everything there have increased tremendously. Tomorrow is Penn State football at noon. John is a graduate of Penn State and has been a Penn State football fan from the time he was a little boy. I will “watch” the game with him but will probably read a book at the same time, paying much more attention to the book than to the game.
  • shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I had a good weekend. Not a weight loss friendly one though. We had a crab dinner with friends on Friday night, I went to a leader training retreat (I opted to just go out for the day on Saturday), snacked on the junk food, I had a good eating day yesterday and got lots of relaxation.

Pinched nerve pain is so terribly painful. I hope you find relief and a remedy to correct that. I know it can take a long time to heal. I will be praying for you DW.

I didn't know there was a live action Pinocchio. I will have to check it out. We have enjoyed Tom Hanks' movies in the past. It's been a long time since we have seen one.

There was lots of football at our house yesterday. A reminder that I am going to have find a hobby for Sundays this winter while Jim watches football.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    A crab dinner sounds like a wonderful start to a weekend! Enjoying the time and relaxing is so important. Good for your Shari!!

John came up with another Tom Hanks movie for us to watch yesterday, A Beautiful Day, about Mr. Rogers. Fred Rogers was a native of Pittsburgh we have that Pennsylvania connection to him too. Tom Hanks plays Fred Rogers (2019 film). It was soooo goooood! I just loved watching it. John has a gift for coming up with movies that I enjoy.

I saw my doctor this afternoon and was surprised that my weight was up by only one pound. I am quite pleased since I did more than my share of birthday celebrating with cake, wine, pizza, etc. over the past few weeks. Maybe my attempts to be compliant on the other days helped keep me from a big gain. Today is a good day so far, and I am not unreasonably hungry. Happy about that. Everything at my appointment was great, and my doctor was very pleased. She told me to keep doing what I am doing. My blood pressure was great (124/82). All of my lab results are normal, even the glucose, which I was concerned about given the history of diabetes in my family and my excessive weight. I am motivated to lose weight to stay away from diabetes. All of my cholesterol numbers are good too. I attribute that to taking high quality supplements including Omega-3 fatty acids, red yeast rice, and others. I spend a good bit of money on these supplements, but I feel that it is worth it given my good results.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello! Paula, HUGE congrats on that excellent check up! Shari, that crab dinner sounds amazing!
    I have my mri tomorrow morning. After I was contacted that it was approved this afternoon things moved quickly after that. I’m surprised and happy that I won’t have time to stew about it. I won’t have results until 9/22/22. The medication is helping but then I hurt my hand on Sunday and have moved it the wrong way causing a great deal of pain about 3 times. It seems as if everything if falling apart. On the bright side, my eating has been very good. No other news here- have a good evening!
  • shariletts
    Options
    Paula- such good news from your doctor's appt. Can't wait to for my next appt, it's been two years. DH will check out a new doctor next week and if al goes well, then I will set an appt too. I will be up more than one pound since my last dr's visit but I will keep trying to drop some of the extra weight I gained this summer.

I trust the MRI goes well DW. Waiting for results is always hard, but I am glad it isn't too long of a wait. Do you think you pulled a muscle in your hand? It's not broken is it?

I am up early today so I can get in a bit of a workout on my elliptical. I will be sitting most of my day at work so this will be good for me. I need to go in to the office today, it's become quite busy at work for fall start up.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    DW, Will be thinking of you in the morning as you have your MRI and will offer prayers for good results.

Shari, Congrats on your morning workout! I so admire folks who do that!

A marginal eating day for me. I started out ok with avocado toast for breakfast. It was a busy day because I packed too much into too short an amount of time: took Buster for his heartworm test, had to do a grocery pick up, then an online church service prior to our Monday Bible study which was moved to Tuesday this week. I barely had time to do the readings and prep for Bible study as our study guide is sent out the day of the class so that doesn't leave a lot of time to go through it. So, while I was out and about, I did a drive through at our favorite hot dog shack...not healthy at all unless the hot dogs get credit for the probiotic qualities in the sauerkraut....LOL. I plan to be home all day tomorrow and expect healthier food selections!
  • shariletts
    Options
    I had take out yesterday Paula. You are not the only one. I drove to a small town a half hour away to meet a friend. Dairy Queen was our halfway point. I kept it simple, but when I tracked the calories, it was pretty eye opening.

I had busy days and evenings. I haven't had time to do some regular chores, so that will be my weekend. Maybe I will burn some extra calories!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, There is a DQ just a few miles from my home. It is VERY tempting to me quite often. I find their food to be of a higher quality than most fast food restaurants in our area.

Unfortunately I am having a mediocre week. Weeks like this will result in maintaining weight at best, not losing any weight. Tomorrow my friends Kellie and Greg are coming again for pizza (and wine for me and Kellie and beer for John and Greg). We all enjoy these evenings so much. I am usually able to limit my pizza to one or two pieces and my wine to one glass. But I will have to be very careful during the day to not go into the evening unreasonable hungry....or portion control goes out the door. I spent part of today cleaning in preparation for their visit and will do more tomorrow. I don't have to fuss to much, but I do like to freshen things up when visitors are expected.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello! I hope you are both doing well! I survived the MRI and won't get results until 9/22. I am feeling quite a bit better thanks to the medication the Dr. prescribed. My excitement for today was going with my SIL to get a new rescue dog. She is about 5 years old, is mostly a Bulldog, and was surrendered to rescue after years of being used for breeding. My daughter was working at the time but had given her approval. This makes 3 living dogs but one is on her last leg, and they have two cats.
    My eating has been pretty good but I need to increase my exercise as able. I need to work on increasing my strength! Have a blessed Sunday!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    DW, My heart is smiling reading about your daughter's new rescue! I bet their home is full of fun and love. Bless your daughter and her hubby for what they are doing for these animals. I think I would have more dogs if my health/walking allowed. Glad your knee is feeling better. What type of med did your doctor prescribe?

I had a wonderful evening with Kellie and Greg on Saturday. I had 2 pieces of pizza and one glass of wine but was low on calories during the day to "save up" for the evening. It worked out well for me. Today was another good day and most of my meals for the week are planned. I am finding that when I plan my meals ahead of time I am more likely to stay on track. I expect this to be an easy week with no real challenges til Saturday when I plan to go to the church where I grew up for their food festival. I won't be able to go inside but some friends are going with me and will pick up whatever I order.
  • shariletts
    Options
    DW- so exciting to have a rescue dog added to the family. I hope it will adjust quickly to it's new home.

I agree with you Paula, when we meal plan we do so much better to stay on track. I also had a glass of wine last night.

DH has a meet and greet with a doctor today. If that goes well he will book a physical, then if he says that goes well, it will be my turn. We really need to have a family physician so I hope we will be a good match for each other. It is a female doctor, I have had two male doctors over the last 30 years so this will be a bit of a change- for both of us!
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello! My daughter and SIL's new dog seems to be adjusting well! I saw her today. She is more ornery than her appearance would suggest. She looks like mostly Bulldog but a tad too heavy and that girl can get her front paws up on the kitchen table! Their two larger dogs wouldn't dream of doing that! I love to see a little ornery in a dog!
    Paula, I'm so happy that you had a nice time with your friends! Shari, I hope the new Dr meet and greet went well! I've had quite a few female Drs. and have liked most of them!
    Our plans to visit Disney are on hold indefinitely. Between Covid and then the cost of everything being so high, it's not a priority anymore. I couldn't get my husband on board with it but don't understand why-he loved going when the kids were younger so I assumed he would want to go with the grandsons.
    I've had a good day food-wise and got many steps in...I tried on a fall skirt that I was counting on wearing to a dog show and the waist is about 2" too small...I know it fit at some point in the last 5 years-LOL!! I received my invitation to work the November election but am being assigned to another precinct that is about 7 miles from my home. I will accept the assignment and happily take more training since this should be a larger election. My appointment for the MRI results is Thursday morning-that can't come soon enough! Have a great Tuesday!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, having a good reliable doctor means so much, especially as we get older. I have been with my family doctor, a woman, since 1999. I started with her soon after she began her practice. I am very happy to be with her all of these years. Hope you and Jim find a doctor that works well with you.

DW, I love reading about our pet stories. Your daughter's and SIL's new dog sounds like a cutie full of spunk. Please keep us posted about her. I think it is great that you are working at the election. From friends I know who have worked them here in PA, it tends to be a very long day, but they always enjoyed it.

My week is off to a great start for healthy eating. I stayed very much on track with no temptations and no desire to stray. Now to keep this going. Today went by really quickly, and I am not sure why. I did not accomplish my to do list today and am kind of annoyed with myself about that, but I will carry over the undone tasks to Tuesday.

• shariletts
    Options
    DH didn't end up going to the Dr appt as she was sick so the appt has been rescheduled for October. A bit of a delay, but not too bad. I hope to go in November.

Sorry to hear that your trip to Disney isn't going to happen soon DW. I don't think I could get my DH to go with me or grandkids if we had them. He has been a few times and he figures that is enough. I love to go, but not when the line ups are too long. I do hope go again someday.

Yesterday I drove to a small town ten minutes away and went to their leisure centre to work out. There is a better leisure centre 15 minutes in the other direction too. I may try that one again. It costs more, but it has more amenities. I am not losing weight so I am hoping by lifting some weights to build muscle will give me a bit more luck.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello! Shari, I’m sorry that the Dr visit didn’t happen! That is great that you are going somewhere to work out! I pay a small amount monthly for a Planet Fitness membership and need to start using it! Paula, I’m happy to hear that your week is off to a good start!
    I’ve had a good day food and exercise wise! Tomorrow I have a nail appointment- just for a manicure and strengthening polish. At this point I have 7 healthy nails and 3 that need to grow out more. I am happy for the progress and am still hopeful to be able to have pretty gel polish by mid October. Have a great Wednesday!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, October is getting here quickly. Hope your DH's visit to the doctor happens in a timely manner. Yay for you for working out and trying new places. We have a community center in our township, about 2 miles from where I live. It offers some good exercise opportunities and classes, but I never felt comfortable trying anything there when I was able to do so.

DW, Congrats on your healthy day! And also for taking time for your nails. I'd say 7 out of 10 is pretty good! The other 3 will come along.

I did well again today with my eating. And I am happy to report that today I accomplished one big "to do" task which took several hours and a few little ones that were more time consuming than I expected. I have another big task to take care of tomorrow (again at least 2 hours) and am confident I will get it done. I also have a number of smaller tasks again which really need to be completed tomorrow. So my day is fairly well planned out for Wednesday. I get my nails done on Thursday and will take care of some errands then too.
  • shariletts
    Options
    My nails are in terrible shape lol! I have been trying to grow out the shellac polish I had put on in July. I have the opposite of DW. I have 3 out of 10 nails that are look okay.

I thought I would be really sore after my workout, but so far I am just a bit sore. I hope I worked out hard enough. I am going to work out from tomorrow evening.

No progress on the scale this week. My goal was two pounds, but so far zero. I have four more days, maybe one pound will find it's way off before my trip.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, as you probably know, sometimes workout pain catches up with us a day or so later, but I am glad you didn't feel any pain immediately...and maybe not at all!

I did ok today. My eating was very much under control. I am glad to have my nails freshened up again. My new nail tech is very nice. We discovered today that she was 2 years behind John in school, having attended the same elementary, middle school, and high school he attended. She said she remembers him.

I did well with my to do list today and have already planned a lot to do for Friday. On Saturday I have plans to drive with 2 friends to the church where I grew up. They are having a food festival. I won't be able to go in to the festival, but I have placed an order that my friends will pick up for me. We will be getting pierogie, halushki (cabbage and noodles), and haIupki (filled cabbage). The pierogie at my home church are the absolute best. I will have to be careful, but I know I will enjoy them.
  • shariletts
    Options
    My workouts are going well. I was a bit stiff, but not the kind of pain I was expecting so that was good.

That is a nice connection to have with you new nail tech Paula. My nails are currently in very bad shape. I need them to growing out but is is a very slow process.

Enjoy the food festival Paula. That sounds like my kind of food. Yum!

We head to Vegas tomorrow so I will MIA until next Saturday or Sunday. I know everyone's eating will be better than mine. I hope I don't gain too much more weight while we are away.