Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Replies

• Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 1,046 Member
    Shari, Hope you and your mom had a good visit. And how nice to take the cabbage rolls to her! I haven't made any in a very long time but have purchased them at various church festivals when given the opportunity. Seems like everyone makes them their own way. One of the biggest compliments my dad ever gave me was when I made them for the first time after my mom passed away and dad said mine were as good as hers. I relate to you with the lack of weight loss and awareness of what others might think or say. I have been at a weight standstill lately too. Some days I do well, but other days I undo my progress I think.

My cousin passed away this morning a little after 9 am. She was in her home less than 24 hours. It seems like she was just waiting to be at home before she died. I am glad that they were able to get her home.
  • shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 893 Member
    I am so sorry for your loss. The human spirit is a mystery and so beautiful to be able to stave off death at times when there is a desire to be at a specific place before one passes. My uncle wanted to die in Belarus when he near the end. He made trip from Canada to Belarus, he went straight from the plane to the hospital and died that same day (or very soon after). May God have grace on her family as they grieve the loss.
  • DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 331 Member
    Hello! Shari, your cabbage rolls sound delicious! Paula, I continue to pray for your cousin and her family! My SIL who needs prayer is named Jor.
  • Paulawilldo
    DW, I will add your SIL to my prayer list. Thank you for your prayers. Shari, thank you for your prayers too.

Two of my close friends from my old church came here today for lunch. We ordered delivery. It was kind of a belated celebration for one of their birthdays. We ordered delivery and had a little wine with lunch as well as a very small but decadent birthday cake (chocolate raspberry....one of my favorite flavor combinations). It was just what I needed after so much stuff going on with my cousin's illness and death. I enjoyed the company and meal but didn't do much good for my weight loss plan!
  • DW2022
    Hello! My apologies for the previous post. I sat down in my chair and was falling asleep, noticed my spelling error and thought I’d corrected it and added more to the post…apparently not… my SIL’s name is Joe.
    Paula, I’d missed the post that your cousin passed. I am so sorry for your loss .
    Yesterday I had a basal cell spot removed from my face and will have two pre cancerous spots frozen when I get my stitches out. My years in the sun are catching up with me! This morning it is a root canal …that might slow my eating briefly. Have a Good Wednesday!
  • shariletts
    My mom had a basal cell cancerous spot removed from her nose yesterday. I haven't seen her, but she said she has 17 stitches. I think they had to lift off the skin from her nose, remove the blister type cancer and stitch her up. She said the procedure was not easy, but I am glad she is on the healing side of things now. I hope your experience was much easier DW! Now a root canal. I trust all will go well for you.

Nice to have some friends over Paula. I also had take out and cake. It was DH's mom's birthday. I didn't think I should be the one to go over to celebrate as things are very strained. We all faked that everything was fine. I believe they think if they are nicer to me, everything can be normal. It can be, but our relationship won't be very authentic. I see my counsellor tomorrow. I think she will say if that is what they want, that can be fine. I know DH is worried about trying to talk about the deeper hurts and feelings because they will make us outcasts. I am okay with that, but it will be up to him. I am going to be okay as long as I don't see them too often, and that I can stand up for myself when I need to. That is the hard part for me. I get hurt, but I don't say anything and then it sticks with me too long. I know I am making progress with counselling. Thanks for reading.
  • Paulawilldo
    DW, Thanks for telling me Joe's name. When I read your other post I thought perhaps Jor was short for Jordan. Will continue to pray for him. I have had several friends who had experiences with pre cancerous basal cells taken care of. It seems to be occurring more than ever these days. You are right about days in the sun catching up! Good luck with the root canal too.

Shari, nice of you to celebrate your MIL's birthday. I imagine it wasn't easy but probably did mean a lot to your DH. I understand getting hurt as your described. I am like you in that way and then have to work on letting it go. I have gotten better at that over the years and feel good when I do so, but it isn't easy.

John and I had our 6 month dental check ups/cleanings today. All went well. Craig stayed with Buster while we were gone. Buster did well and cried only a little when we left. He likes Craig a lot and is accustomed to having Craig around here so it wasn't as stressful for Buster without John and me. I didn't have a great eating day today, but it wasn't horrible. It looks like the next few days will be "at home" days for me with more time for me to focus on what matters....staying on track. Now to focus on motivation too!

• shariletts
    I have my bloodwork appt today at 8:10am. I made it early so I don't have to fast too long. I can eat breakfast once I get home again. Then I have counselling at 3pm.

It is always good to have a good dental check up. Cleanings are not that fun, but so necessary. I hope we can all focus on staying on track the next couple of days. I did some stress eating yesterday which isn't something I typically do so staying on track today is super important. I have good food ready, I just have to decide to eat it rather than grab something not healthy.
  • DW2022
    Hello!
  • Paulawilldo
    DW and Shari, Hope your Thursday was a good one! I did ok today, much better than the past few days, a little high with carbs, but not horrible. I was so happy to be at home with few real demands. I so enjoyed a day like today. I had a very limited to do list so it was easily and quickly accomplished. Tomorrow will be similar to today....but even better for my food choices!
  • shariletts
    We made it to Friday. One of my favorite days because it is the start to the weekend. I am so thankful.
    I will work from home most of the day, and wrap it up at the church with a youth Christmas party.

Counselling went well. I felt stronger and she challenged me in a good way too. Even if the issue does not get solved, I know how I can grow to be healthy emotionally. That is awesome.
  • Paulawilldo
    Shari, yay for feeling stronger!

I had a very good day today, one of my best in a long time for both healthy food choices and feeling rested enough to do a lot of tasks I have been avoiding. It is such a good feeling when my "procrastination tasks" are taken care of. I feel very free especially because I accomplished one job that I have been just too tired to tackle for some time now. It bothered me that it wasn't done, but I just didn't feel up to doing it until today.

I am expecting a quiet, peaceful, restful, and healthy weekend. I hope this weekend is a good one for all of us!

• shariletts
    Made it through the youth event. Today we are having a birthday party for DH. Lots to get done today to prepare for that. Still too much on my calendar and I can't wait for a quiet break.
  • Paulawilldo
    Happy birthday to your DH Shari! Hope you all enjoyed the party.

I enjoyed today but it seemed to fly by, and I am not sure why. I was sort of tired today but not to excess. I rested when I could. My friend stopped by unannounced with some goodies from her church pre-Christmas festival (my old church). It wasn't the healthiest of foods, but I managed to focus on portion control so I will consider that a relative success.

A blessed Sunday to all!
  • shariletts
    The party went well. We had such a tidy and clean house prior to the party. Lots of clean up to do in the kitchen. But we will tackle it, maybe tomorrow. I do want to have a day of rest. I know it's hard to totally resist treats. Portion control is a much better solution. I hope I can manage to do that today since we have some of my favorite snacks left over from the party.
  • Paulawilldo
    Wise choice Shari to have a day of rest. Some things need to be tackled sooner than others. I am sure you are good at prioritizing.

I had a good day of rest. I had my usual Sunday phone call from my friend Carol from church. She didn't go to church today because we had yucky weather (a wintry mix that didn't amount to much but there were quite a few slippery spots around our valley). But Carol called me anyway just to catch up. I also gabbed with John's Godmother who lives near Pittsburgh. She, too, missed church today because the weather in her area was "iffy." I realize that my friends and I are at the age where we don't take any chances driving on questionable roads if we don't absolutely have to. I did pretty well with my eating again today. I had more of the goodies my friend brought us yesterday. I feel like I made wise choice about what I ate. I am ready for a good week ahead!!
  • shariletts
    My day of rest was a got hi-jacked but in a good way. We ended up going to The Chistmas Carol play being held at a local theatre. Our Bible study group went. When they originally planned it, we opted out. I had been to that play before and DH doesn't like live theatre. But, one of the other couples couldn't make it, and we ended up going. It was very good, but it took up the whole day. We left at noon and were not home until 5:30pm. I was so exhausted that I crawled into bed at 7:45. I listened to a couple of podcasts and then fell asleep right until 6am this morning.

Ready for a good week and really really need to lose the two pounds I put on in Mexico. They are sticking with me for longer than I ever wanted them to.
  • DW2022
    Hello! It sounds like we all had busy but good weekends! I was at the orthopedic Dr early this morning for a follow up and now don’t go back until the end of March. Tomorrow I get my stitches out of my face. Shari, I hope your Mom is doing well post surgery!
    My weight is hanging in at a number I am not happy with but I have had 2 walks with my daughter recently. Sometimes she needs to step out to talk and release some emotions. She is becoming so strong and recently stood up to her FIL who is just a negative self-centered person. That is new for her but this situation is bringing out a new side of her. I went to church on Sunday and that was comforting.
    I’ve been telling anyone who asks that, even though my dogs look alike, they are not related. Last night I received missing pieces of my girl’s pedigree and her third and fourth generations on her Father’s side match my old guy’s 2nd and 3rd generations on his Father’s father’s side and his mother’s father’s side. They are related!! My old guy was NOT
    impressed 😂😂😂 I hope you both have a great week!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Shari, I can understand how tired you were after your theatre trip. I applaud you for getting to bed early! That is a very good self-care practice in my opinion.

DW, Very interesting info about your 2 dogs. We certainly don't have any info on Buster's lineage, but are probably going to do another DNA test, one that provides more specific info, just because we are curious. So nice too that you are there for your daughter....and combining your support with healthy walks.

I got a lot accomplished today and feel very pleased. Also, I stayed on track with no cravings or temptations. Still can't figure out though why some days are so much easier to stay on track and others are so much more challenging. My friend Kellie has been concentrating on losing weight in advance of her son's wedding next year. She is quite short and not really overweight but determined to look great for the wedding. So far she has lost 8 pounds by increasing her activity (including running a bit in addition to walking....she is about 62 yrs old). She has always been a healthy eater but now has increased her portion control. I am just amazed and impressed with her progress. She has inspired me!
  • shariletts
    I am up another pound, I can't believe it. I seem to be in an upward spiral over the last few weeks. I decided that I am going to fast over the next few days to get back down those three extra pounds that snuck on. I hope that I can do it. I have to go in to work today, and I always seem to feel my hunger more when I am in the office.

Fun to find out the genetics and relationships for your dogs. It is great news that your DIL is standing up for herself. I waited way too long to do that for myself and the change hasn't been very welcomed by others. I feel so much better knowing that I can do that for myself now.

I hope that I can mimic your 62 year old friend Paula! If only I could lose 8 pounds.