This July “I Will”… Welcome aboard!

Options
MadisonMolly2017
MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,015 Member
edited June 2021 in Social Groups
v6f262uxjbjl.jpeg

It's a brand new month! What's your favorite part of July?

What healthy habit would you like to work on this month? Is it something new or a continuation of your June focus? Whatever it is, let's dive in and make it happen! We are here to support you every step of the way!

Habit Stacking:
We highly recommend habit stacking as a great way to build a new healthy habit. Simply attach the habit you want to create to a habit you already have using this structure:

AFTER I ________________________

I WILL __________________________

EXAMPLES:
After I brush my teeth, I will floss one tooth.
After I drink my afternoon coffee, I will put on my walking shoes.
After I put away my breakfast dishes, I will prep 3 servings of vegetables for the day.
After I clean up after dinner, I will plan tomorrow’s dinner & move necessary items from freezer to refrigerator.
After I weigh myself in the morning, I will drink 2 cups of refreshing, cool water.
After I start my coffee brewing, I will stand on each leg for 30 seconds.

TRACKERS/James Clear
Daily Trackers - of any kind - have been shown to assist in the creation & mastery of new habits per James Clear in his book “Atomic Habits,” which is a favorite of the members of this group.

We also highly recommend his free Thursday newsletter. Quick read & a great mid-week boost!

For newcomers & a great review for the rest of us…
Chapter 3 of Atomic Habits with sign-up for his free newsletter:
https://jamesclear.com/three-steps-habit-change

TYPES of TRACKERS
Paper - plenty of free ones or create your own. A simple sheet of paper works! Check out the trackers of @77tes in past months!

Tracking apps - some are free

Physical - move a marble,, paper clip, etc into a jar each day or color code them as @summerskier does

Emoji - @TexasGardnr @nebslp are fond of these! Look in prior month’s to see how effective they are!

Whatever helps you celebrate your baby steps and successes will work. Using trackers makes you much more likely to change your behavior!

NEWCOMERS:
If you are new to our group, welcome! Please let us know what you will be working on and how we can help! Just a suggestion: set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on!

You might frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This July I will...")
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks reinforce the habit you are trying to build.)
6. What help do you need from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of July?

🌸Maddie & 🌷Denise
@MadisonMolly2017 & @themedalist
Co-leaders

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,818 Member
    Options
    thank you Maddie for posting the July!
    May I also suggest posting a link to the July thread and the habits group in the challenges or motivation areas of the MFP total community?

I have just now looked at the beautiful trackers everyone shared at the end of June.. One thing I was thinking about for habits was sort of like maintenance. I want to work on habits that I will do for the rest of my life if possible so choosing what to work on for me is very important. I am only on a quick lunch break but will be on vacation tomorrow so I think I will post my July I will then.

Welcome to all the new faces.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    So, it has been difficult for me to establish new habit patterns the past few weeks with going back to work in the office. I have felt like I am always on the go and using every spare minute trying to keep up with household and work. Until I crash after dinner for a few hrs before bedtime. Some of my daily habits which I established while WFH are going to have to fall by the wayside while I focus on things I can keep up.

For example. Instead of trying to organize and favorite my photos daily, I can change and do that weekly but still keep up with moving the favorites to USB thumb drives once a month. Not taking as many photos since I am not walking around the neighborhood during the day etc...

So all that said, there are still 2 things I REALLY want to do and continue to do on a daily and on going basis.
    1) I want to monitor my blood pressure. I noticed I missed a day when I was running late to work last week. So while I am waiting for my oatmeal to microwave - 2 minutes - I will take my blood pressure
    2) I will declutter 1 item from the house or my work area each day when I am changing in the evening after seeing Bandit or whenever I am in the closet this month. (not that I am OUT of the closet or need to be ROTFLOL....) B);)

July 1 - BP taken check
    July 2 - BP taken, decluttered a pair of shoes which I haven't worn in years and altho almost new are quite uncomfortable so every time I put them on, I take them right off again. trash.

Note I would love to see a SUMMER declutter thread started up again. I am totally motivated seeing everyone's progress on that! I am starting in my closet this month because I just have too many shoes I NEVER USE. I did a massive update on my closet back in 2017 when I hit maintenance and now 4 years later it is time to admit that things I kept and STILL HAVE NOT USED need to go.

@SummerSkier
    Renamed & changed verbiage a bit on declutter strand

It’s now 2021 DECLUTTERFEST! This way we have a record of our yearly decluttering (at least since end of January!

Sounds like you have done a spectacular job of prioritizing & adapting your habits for your new work situation. Bravo!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Mrs_Hoffer wrote: »
    @SummerSkier I go back to work in the office next week as well. I've been WFH for almost 16 months so it will be difficult to change gears! Lol. But they only want our building at 50% capacity for July and August, so for now I will be in the office 2 days one week, then 3 days the next week (alternating schedule). I will have to get up about 4:15am in order to leave my house by 5am, to be at work in Columbus by 6am! I have Tues 7/6 off as a VAC day as we're going out of town for the holiday, but it'll be "interesting" to see what my new morning routine is going to look like! Oh, and I almost spit out my oatmeal when I read about you being out of the closet! :lol: Thanks for the laugh!

😃😃 After I ... get up and while I'm drinking my morning cup of coffee..... I will spend 10 mins on my bible reading and morning devotional.

😃😃 After I ... have breakfast, I will .... do 5-10 mins of yoga/stretching and then immediately upon finishing I will walk 500 steps down the driveway to the mailbox and back.

As far as a SUMMER Declutter thread -- I currently have a "just one thing" policy where each day, while I'm doing my 20 mins of housework (yes, I only do 20-30 mins each day, and I have a schedule for that as well!), I will make an effort to declutter just one thing. Although sometimes it becomes a 5-10 minute cleaning effort in itself, I don't allow myself to feel guilty if I can only do JUST ONE THING. I'll put that "one" declutter item in either the donate box (currently in the garage), or the trash, or put it where it belongs! It works well for me.

@Mrs_Hoffer
    I know you will adapt to your work changes & figure out what works for you going forwards, I’m glad you are able to somewhat gradually go back - should make it easier?

I’d love to see the 20-30 min cleaning schedule you (or anyone else) have created! I’ve seriously been thinking of creating one.

Best,
    🌸Maddie

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,818 Member
    Options
    Maddie, I really like your idea for the 3 groups on the tracker. It makes a LOT of sense to me. And it is a great reminder of how successful we are. I don't think I really have this work thing change figured out as it has only been 3 weeks so far. Week 2 I tried doing a lot of prep on the weekend for the week but honestly that just felt like I was working too hard on my time off to get ready for the week so I am not sure I will do that all the time. I know it takes a lot longer than 3 weeks to cement new habits. Thank you for changing the declutter thread so it's more "available" for posting for the entire year.... <3

Teresa, I think that YOUR work is doing things a lot smarter than mine. At mine they just said EVERYONE BACK FULL TIME now and there was no gradual implementation. We were all also required to wear masks which was a change for me too. I think going back 2 to 3 days a week in the office would be a lot better honestly and I hope at some point my local HR figures out we are not all just goofing off when we are WFH. You would think after 16 months they would see that we were productive remote. I do agree that there are some REAL benefits to being in the office for sure but the corporate guidelines were 2 days July thru Aug and then full time in Sept. Not all at once. However without set schedules it might also be less effective to do random days in. I like your workplace idea. Getting up earlier is hard and I had to as well to get my runs in. I started with 15 minutes earlier the first week and then moved it to 20 minutes. I will go to 30 probably next week. One thing I can tell you is that it was EXHAUSTING that first week full time and I ended up taking vacation on Friday because I knew I was flagging. Next week masks are only required on the honor system for those who are not vaccinated. I think that people who CHOSE not to get vaccinated and not folks who CANT get vaccinated will show who wears masks. The choosers I bet don't but the immune compromised or cant get a vacc probably will.... :)

Terri I just got thru reading all your spoilers! I think you have a great plan for July!~!!!!!

@77tes are you going to continue to the tree pose? It's interesting to me that your balance was better in the mornng vs evening.. I can totally comprehend that as there are a lot of things which to me are easier in the am (morning person) also.

@nebslp have you decided on your July?
    @texasgardnr I am sorry that you are struggling in June. Hopefully July will be better? I think you have made the right moves as far as small changes to avoid the video addiction.
    @PKM0515 are you going to join us for July? Are the meds still going well?

Summer aka bON
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,167 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Building Healthy Habits - July 2021
    Terri: Female; 76 next birthday; Living in Northern Ireland; married > 55 years; ex Maths teacher; volunteer group leader for U3A (University of the Third Age - lifelong learning charity)
    SW: 227 (Mar 2014) (joined MFP Jan 2015)
    LW: 142.9 (Jan 2021)
    CW: 144.8
    GW: Maintaining < 145
    Day 1: It's gone fairly well so far. The habit stacking seems to work really well.

Solid Habits - - This is roughly the order in which I developed my solid habits.
    Log ALL CI/CO: This was the first habit I developed when I joined MFP. Logging my food was an eye opener. 6 years + later, logging is an essential part of my morning routine. I log my basic food, adjust quantities as necessary. and add in exercise as it occurs throughout the day. I eat a varied diet, mostly fresh foods, with a good proportion of fruit/veg.
    2. Weigh/measure portions as accurately as possible: Although I ate mostly very healthy, my portion control was practically nonexistent.
    3. Stay under goal (Daily) I choose to stay under my allotted calories each day, and factor in small treats. I have no forbidden foods. I take the view that a very little of what you fancy does you good and stops feelings of deprivation derailing progress.
    4. Balance macros/micros (Daily) I have found a ratio of carbs/protein/fat which works for me, so I stick with it as close to it as I can. I do modify it from time to time.
    5. Hydrate adequately (Daily)
    6. Steps > 7500 (Daily)
    7. Mindfulness Practice/meditation ((Daily - morning/evening)
    8. Stretch before/after workouts
    9. 15+ minutes Cardio > 5 days a week
    10. 15+ mins Strength > 5 days a week
    11. 15+ mins Flexibility > 5 days a week
    12. Active hours > 6 (Daily)
    13. Practice self-care (Daily)
    14. Be creative
    15. Learn something new (daily)
    16. Stay up to date with accounts (monthly)

Sorta Solid Habits
    • 1. Choose healthy snacks
    • 2. 1 > 15 mins Declutter sessions (Daily)
    • 3. Purchase essential items only
    • 4. Read > 1 book from 'to read' pile
    • 5. Complete > 2 ongoing craft projects (monthly)

New Habits
    I have registered for the free 'tiny habits' starter course. I used the 'Getting Started' option and the habit recipes to write my new habits. Looking forward to getting started on Monday 6th July.
    • 1. After I ... get out of bed each morning. I will ... walk 400 steps 🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️
    • 2. After I ... flush and wash. I will ... do 5 wall push ups 🚽🚽
    • 3. After I ... turn on the kettle. I will ... drink a glass of water🚰🚰
    Tracker is a work in progress, as am I. 😂
    I will repost maybe once a week.
    poewpdk6kq68.jpg 517049zmdkjrcqj5.gif

THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES OR SHORTCUTS to achieving permanent change.
    REMINDERS: One or two thoughts which keep me on the straight and narrow.
    • Daily weight fluctuations are normal, and can be as much as 2 lbs a day for no apparent reason.
    • A general downward trend is what we are looking for.
    • Eating out can cause apparent weight gain because of high sodium levels, but usually goes quickly. Drinking extra water helps with this.
    • The human body does not react instantly to what we do to it. Sometimes it can take several days to see results.
    • Plateaus are a normal part of the process. The body is consolidating and adapting to your new way of eating/exercising.
    • The closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it becomes to lose weight, as your body becomes more efficient at using what you feed it.
    • When you exercise you build muscle, which takes up less space than fat, so use measurements as well as weight to assess your progress.
    • Getting/Staying fit and healthy requires a lifestyle change for most people.
    Stick with the process. It DOES work! But it does take time, effort, and most of all, patience!

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,167 Member
    Options
    Commiserations to those of you about to have to go back into the office. You're a resourceful lot, so I'm sure you'll work things out for yourselves. Adaptation is part of life. I'm not planning to stop taking precautions anytime soon. I'm exercising personal responsibility for my own health and wellbeing.

I did a lot of decluttering when I did Home Solutions 101 a few years back. Especially in my kitchen and wardrobes storage. I swap out my clothes twice a year, and trynto weed out anything that I no,longer wear. I have a bag waiting to go to charity shop. Still needs to be kept in order.

Like @Mrs_Hoffer - I have a daily routine. I also have a very nice house elf who does a lot of the chores.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

w8ntdksu8gqu.jpeg
    7/1 Did it all. My tracker definitely helped!
    calories✅ I “closed the kitchen” when I go my calorie limit. Also switched back to nonfat milk from 2%. I actually like it better. Had been drinking 2% (Hubby prefers) to avoid buying two kinds.
    steps✅ Went out 7/20 pm - cool, some live music, took some nice photos
    arms✅ (Triceps)
    golf ball✅
    Massaged muscles ✅
    tracked all food✅ Yay!!
    art✅
    drawing✅

Will post a photo of my tracker tomorrow!
    Yay! 1 down, 30 to go!!
    I’ve turned the corner.

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @PKM0515 I hope your kittens are thriving, and you’ll join us in the July I Will”🐈🐈‍⬛

@nebslp Will you use the Habit Bull app again?! 🐂

@angelic843 what habit will you work on in July? 😀

@BodyTalking I visited Czechoslovakia as a teen with my family in 1972! Such lovely people! I think your English skills are amazing!! I also plan to use your pick de galo salad idea this summer!’🥗 Yum! What will your habit(s) be for July?

@pamelaromanczuk25 How’s it going? Do you want to make any modifications to your plan for July?

@tryingtoloveme97 How’s your glass of 💦 habit going? What are you considering for your July plan?

Some of the group plans to take BJ Fogg’s free 5-day Tiny Habits course, beginning July 6. I highly recommend his very good, short, and exceedingly helpful offering!!

https://tinyhabits.com/

Best,
    🌸Maddie

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Our Habits will always change - both in small & large ways, as we react to our changing as we grow & change

It occurred to me that successful maintenance is when we’ve mastered:
    1) recognizing when old habits aren’t enough
    2) creating new ones
    3) trying them out & modifying UNTIL THEY WORK
    4) practicing towards automaticity!

I am SO GLAD to have so many of my favorite MFP pals in this group! We are putting in the hourly, daily, monthly effort to make our lives Healthy & Happy (and as easily successful as possible, so we have more time for our other endeavors)!