Daily Check In

Options

Replies

• sunshineyourway
    sunshineyourway Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hi Gloria and Becky.. Good to hear from you both.

I am thankful I got my Thursday morning run in after my Cardio workout and yoga this morning. As I was turning on my Road to get home, it started to sprinkle lightly. Now it is pouring. The temps will drop this evening and more than likely the roads will be ice. We are expecting sleet/snow tomorrow. Not looking good for my long run on Saturday. We shall see.

Gloria, I hope that pain on your right side straightens out.. Is the track you run on indoors or is it outdoors?..

Becky, sorry to hear about your PT. I am wondering if your doctor could send in another order for your shoulder too. Insurance Companies are very picky about having orders specific for PT to be paid for.

My son is doing better now. I told him he was very lucky to have had his vaccines/ booster and flu shots. It could have been worse.

Well, I got to go. Cleo my Cockatoo Bird is ready for some food and a clean cage. Talk later.

• gloriawrightcook
    gloriawrightcook Posts: 4,266 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! Beckie, what a joy it must be to get out and walk around the lake again! I hope you can get everything straightened around so you can get the help you need to walk comfortably and run again if you want to! And it sounds like you want to! Has the weather there been okay this season? I always think of you when I put on my Athleta Altitudes because you are the one who told me about them in 2020 I think, and now I love them so very much and have three pair that get used for all of my outdoor runs! It is not as cold here as where you are but I tend to be chilly and these are a blessing.

Sharon, I hope you don't get a lot of ice. I can't say it enough times, ice is TERRIBLE!

The track where I run is outdoors at one of the high schools here (Hendersonville High School for anyone who follows Taylor Swift, that is where she went to high school, we have a lot of country music stars in our community). I think there is some sort of impingement or weakness on my right side. When I have to step up to get up stairs, I can hardly lift my right leg. I wish I could pinpoint the issue on my own so I can look up exercises on line. When I went to physical therapy a few years ago they had me jumping on one leg on a mini trampoline to help strengthen that side. I sure did hate that exercise but I ordered a rebounder/mini tramp yesterday and I am going to use it that way to help strengthen things up, and it will also come in handy for cardio on days when I don't run. The other thing is that even back then a few years ago there were some issues with my mobility in my thoracic area and they had me working on that, and then again a year ago when I went to PT we worked on that again, so I am pleased that the mobility workouts I have been doing on Wednesdays have some exercises to help that. Part of that is just bad arthritis in my spine. I remember when I did Marine Corps Marathon and the pain in my back was excruciating and I had to walk a lot after I hit 13 or so miles. So it's a drawn out saga that I hope I can fix but might just have to deal with at some level.

This morning the roofs were white and there was some snow in the grass - not much though, barely a dusting. I wasn't sure about the streets. They didn't have school because of possible black ice and the feels like/windchill was 13 so I did go with the treadmill, as expected. I have to guess how far I went - Garmin says 9.75 miles and I needed nine so I can only hope that it is somewhat accurate. I did have to pause the Garmin a couple of times and stretch my back and hamstrings so if I hadn't paused, it would have been a slower pace than Garmin shows - I am always faster on the treadmill because my gait is totally different and the incline is not working right so it is flat - unlike outside where we have a lot of hills (my Garmin is always run on elevation gain anyway, I never have a clue how much elevation change there is, my Garmin will tell me I've gone ten flights of stairs when I am just walking through the house).

I still need to do upper body and yoga today, since my run was almost two hours it feels like the day has flown by and now it is getting close to dinner time. Run Happy everyone!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Got my rebounder today and did a very short session of cardio just to test it out. Fun stuff, but I need to get used to it! I did my strength and yoga today and again, I can tell something is very off on the right side - when we were doing Beast Holds, the trainer called out to lift the left leg or right leg - and I cannot lift the left leg - which is a weakness on my right side. Ugh, I have to figure this out. It is a bad imbalance and likely what is causing the knee and back problems when I run.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Today my workout was supposed to be a mile time trial. I went to the track in the afternoon after it warmed up (it was like 12 this morning and I don't know if there was a windchill or not, I was NOT going to run in that). So when I got to the track, there were dozens of kids running on it, both directions. Looked like track practice. So I left, came home, did my cardio, yoga and jumped on my rebounder. I changed the mile run until tomorrow and I hope that the track is available. I want to run on the track Monday afternoon as well so I hope the track is open after school that day.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    I went to the track today and YAY, no kids there. But my watch messed up and I didn't do my whole run. I only ended up with about 1.25 mile and I should have had at least two miles I think. I think it was user error with the watch, it skipped the whole mile part - it went from the warm up to the cadence drills to the cool down - and I didn't realize it. I was doing the mile but the watch was counting down the cool down. So I ended up quitting at that point, probably should have canceled the run and started from scratch. My "time trial" ended up being about half a mile and my pace wasn't quite where it should have been, a bit slower than last time. I have a dentist appointment on Tuesday so I should try to do my long run tomorrow.
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Happy Monday All!

Well, I totally missed my long run this weekend. Saturday was snow and Sunday the roads were still a mess. Sunday I just did some extra cardio to get my steps in. The roads appear to be clear now but temps very cold this morning. I plan to run Tuesday morning and will go for my 13.12 miles then, since I missed it on Saturday. Trying to keep my streak going of one HM a week. I also belong to the one line running group for Run The Edge- Run 2022 in 2022. Of coarse alone, I will never make it running three days a week, but I hope to get in maybe 1500 for 2022. With my 4 other team mates, I know we will make it.

I am getting ready to do Gilad's Lord of the Abs - Hard Core. And is it Hard. Then my favorite two Hip Opener Yoga's. I may try to do another workout too, just to get more fitness minutes for the Winter Challenge..

I hope you al have a Wonderful Monday and Week ahead.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hi Sharon, glad you stayed safe and didn't get out in that snow and ice. But I know you want to keep up with your streak! Hope you can get out tomorrow. I had a goal for mileage this month but missing so much for snow and ice, I won't even come close. I did my long run today, what can I say, just frustrated as always and I am not giving up but I wonder if I just need to focus on shorter distances for a while. Unfortunately I have three longer races coming up so I need to stick with it. Anyway, I did seven today and it was slow but fine for the first five and then the last two not great. It was really nice weather and I am glad I got it done. I did lower body strength this morning and it is a deload week, sort of like taper I think, in that we did the same amount of weight or higher, but only two sets of ten for each of the exercises. It says lower body but it is a lot of core too and there is some upper body in there as well (such as rows, planks, etc). One thing they say is that if you can't do all of the exercises well, maybe redo this section - and I can't really do squats very well - even when I had a personal trainer for a long time I really struggled with that. One of the trainers really worked with me and still....so I don't know what to do, if I have to do squats well, I might never progress. I still need to do my yoga,
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    My next run is supposed to be at the track on Thursday but now I have another dental appointment that day (I had my teeth cleaned today but I still need to get the tooth filled from the root canal that I had a couple of weeks ago, it has a temporary right now). So my appointment is at 1pm and school gets out at 3 pm, I think I can still do it. Otherwise, maybe I should try for tomorrow but Thursday is the only day it is supposed to be warmish and I would rather do it that day. Did full body strength this morning and might do rebounder this afternoon. Have to do yoga later too.
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Hi Gloria..

So thrilled I was able to get my 13.12 mile run done today. It started out great but with the cold I slowed down and decided to take it easy. Not sure what the weather will be like Thursday morning. I did see 19 degrees. Hopefully no rain. I will probable go out later with hopes it warms up some.

Squats are something I am not to thrilled about either and lunges. And I do not like planks. I don't mind the side plank, put the front push up type, no for me. I have to modify that and also burpees.

I did not have time for Yoga today, so I will make sure I do that tomorrow.

Got to go make some dinner. Will chat later.
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Good Morning! Happy Thursday. It is freezing outdoors. I woke up too early so that is why I am able to post this morning. Just saw this post from Jeff Galloway on FB. Just what I needed to motivate myself to get outdoors for my run today. Thought I would share.

Jeff Galloway: Chances are if you get out there for five minutes you will want to, and be able to, do your whole workout! Exercise has a unique way of turning on brain circuits that release good hormones. It will improve your mood, outlook and overall feeling just by getting out there for 5 minutes (but you will probably be out there for longer).

So true. I have done that before but this morning, I really needed to see this.

Getting ready for a fun Cardio warm up and some Yoga. Plan to get out a bit later, maybe around 9 am. Temps are in the low 20's right now. Thankful it did not get below 20 degrees, like I thought it would.

Have a wonderful day!
    .⁣
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Brrrr, these mornings are so cold Sharon! I agree with Jeff Galloway, once we get out there, we usually find our way!

Yesterday was the most insane day. Just very hectic. I had the rheumatologist first thing in the morning (more on that later) and then I met one of my besties in Nashville for lunch. Got home and then went to run with BFF. It was cold but I was dressed for running - but then BFF decided to walk instead and I wasn't dressed warmly enough for walking and about froze to death. LOL, not really but I was not comfortable at all. DH and I had a bunch of errands to do in the evening (such as go to Sam's, the pet store for cat food, the pharmacy). Did strength and yoga last night, Wednesdays are stability and mobility. It was just go go go.

So Tuesday night when I went to jump on my rebounder I had the worst pain in my lower back and I couldn't even do it for a couple of minutes, it hurt so badly. Yesterday at rheumatologist she said she is changing my diagnosis from rheumatoid arthritis to psoriatic arthritis. As I sat there waiting for my bloodwork I looked it up and wouldn't you know it, symptoms of psoriatic arthritis can be an inflamed sacrum and toe pain! This might explain some of my difficulties lately. She is wanting to put me on some horrible medication for this and I am really afraid to take that but also wonder if it will help me. The bloodwork will tell how my inflammation is but she said my hands are very swelled up right now too. The other thing is, I always have such a hard time running in the morning...I am just in a lot of pain and my feet are always very swelled up and my shoes are tight (they always say to try on new shoes in the afternoon when swelling is the greatest but my feet are always much worse in the morning) and this is another known symptom. It explains a lot.

I have the dentist today and then as long as my mouth (and my back) doesn't bother me too much, I might go to the track - I am supposed to do speedwork today. I already did my strength training (upper body) and yoga.

Another one of my running friends texted me this morning and said she has Covid - luckily I haven't seen her in a few weeks so no concerns about being exposed but yikes. It seems like just about everyone is getting it now.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    My back is feeling a little better and I hope maybe I can run this weekend. Tomorrow it is supposed to be super cold so I am not so sure about it! Windchill might be in the single digits. I have two friends asking me about running with them tomorrow, so maybe. I did my strength training and yoga this morning, yoga was so hard!!!! Wow!!! (the theme today was STRONG, I didn't feel very strong in this practice).
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Happy Friday All!

Oh Gloria, I am so sorry to hear your arthritis is acting up. Interesting about the new diagnosis. I hope new meds help you.

Glad your back is feeling better.. Hope it is not too cold for you and you get to run with your friends. I hope your friend with Covid recovers soon.

I hope to get out for my run in the morning. We are expecting some precipitation later this evening and tomorrow morning. Mixed predictions so I will be ready just in case they are wrong.

Today was indoor Cardio and Yoga for me. I finished Gilad's 22 day challenge, so I have been doing more Cardio until next months challenge. I like to take a break from Strength Training.

Have a Wonderful Weekend All!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hi Sharon!!! Hi Everyone else, Jenn, are you still lurking? Hope all is well! Hi Becky!

Went and ran and walked with BFF this morning. Back and hip were not happy and it was 16 degrees so I wasn't thrilled either, ha! She wanted to do nine miles and since I have a 15K in two weeks that would have been good for me too but I don't have the endurance for that right now, which is scary because of the race coming up. I am wondering if I should drop to the 5K. The ladies I am doing the race with both have/had Covid so they haven't even been training so this will be a challenge for all of us. I am so frustrated that I sometimes want to just quit running! Anyway, I am going to go with another friend tomorrow and she is one of the ones who had Covid and she hasn't run in about a month now so I think she might need to walk more too. We will see. My shorter runs by myself do seem to go a lot better, and my track workouts/speedwork go better too. Anyway, I need to go my strength and yoga today still, probably will be later as I try to get some things done around the house.
  • basoranno
    basoranno Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. It’s been cold here also. Not a lot of snow. We haven’t had any major snow storms which is nice but we know they will come.
    Gloria-isn’t that arthritis the same as what the pro golfer has and advertises a med for? I hope whatever your RA Dr gives you works.
    I had my Dr visit this week. I have no restrictions except for the ones in my head. He says that’s ok. That as I get stronger I will get more confident in doing all things. I still walk with a cane due to my knees. I do walk without it in the house as much as I can. I discussed the exercises I needed to do to get rid of this limp and he showed me and explained to me what types of exercises to do. I’ve decided to cancel PT for now. He said as long as I work hard with these exercises I will do well. He also gave me an exercise for my shoulder. Ins. has been a pain. Not sure if it would cover 2 things. It hadn’t in the past and my reg. Dr has said they don’t like to do that. Plus I’ve started from square one with the cost seeing as it’s the new year. Bills are climbing. I decided to do early retirement. Not really want I wanted but I have no idea when I’ll be able to get back to work and 1 income is doable but it’s nice to have extra to do other things.
    The elliptical is getting easier. Funny that it’s harder on my good leg than it is on my bad leg. I still keep the time down seeing as I’ve got other exercises I need to do and they all go after my knees. I’d love to walk more but those below zero windchills tend yo keep me indoors. Treadmill works but I need to be careful to concentrate on my gait and I know your gait is typically different on a treadmill versus outside normal walking. Either way I’m doing what I can. Sat. right now is my rest day.
    Sharon-I’m not sure where I heard it from but the 5 mins. was always something I followed. I knew in my head that once I got out for that run I’d keep going. On those days where I just didn’t have it in me, I’d go to the lake and just tell myself 1 Mike is fine. I would hit that mile and I would keep going. Always felt great when I finished.
    Today is either a walk or elliptical for me. I may get outside if it’s not too windy.
    Have a wonderful Sunday!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Becky, I had to look it up because I had no idea, but it is Phil Mickelson who has psoriatic arthritis. My mom might have known had I asked her, she follows tons of sports, including golf. It sounds like you are progressing well with your recovery! I am so glad. You will surely improve as time goes on and it sounds like you are already doing a lot with the elliptical and all. I think when the weather gets better you will be especially motivated so that you can go out and walk by the lake.

This morning it was much warmer, probably closer to 30, so it felt so much better than yesterday. I met two women friends and we walked/ran. One woman had Covid a month ago and this was her first run in a month. She was afraid she would be too tired. I think she did well. While we did walk a lot, we did so some running including up a hill. She had said she wanted to do two miles but we did four. We stopped and took pictures on our last mile so that one was the slowest.
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Happy Sunday Evening Gloria, Becky and All. So happy to hear from you all.

I did not get to run this weekend. Two weekends in a row where we had bad weather. I just could not make myself go out the door with temps around 15 degrees. Monday temps should be around 28 degrees and warm up. I plan to run either 13.12 - 15 miles, depending if I can get out early enough. I am also thinking of running Tuesday and Wednesday to make up for lost miles these past two weeks due to bad weather. Than, hopefully another long run on Saturday.. I just hope the weather will be good on the weekend.

Becky, it sounds like your recovery is coming along fine. Glad your doctor gave you some exercises to focus on and that you will be dropping the PT. I hope your knees will strengthen up too during your recovery. Hopefully Spring like weather will be just around the corner and you can get out for your walks around the lake.

Gloria, your are so fortunate to have friends to get together with for walk/run. I had many friends that I got together with when living in FL but no one here in Raleigh.. How exciting about your 15K coming up..

My son will be arriving Thursday evening. I have not seen him since Thanksgiving so I am very excited. My husband has been sick with a cold hopefully not Covid. He has been feeling a bit better now each day. I was hoping our Covid Tests would have arrived by mail but not yet. We celebrated our 38th Anniversary last night. Got to go! Have a Great Week.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hello! I did lower body strength yesterday along with yoga. I love this workout program. Even though yesterday was lower body, there is also a focus on core which I really need. And mobility! Today my hamstrings in particular are sore and I should go ahead and use my massage gun to help that out. I did three miles this morning, felt slow but I was pleased as I didn't notice my lower back or knee hurting. I had thought about waiting until the afternoon to run because it is in the 60s - when I went in the morning it was in the 30s. Glad I got it done early because now it is super windy. Sharon, hope DH is okay and that he doesn't have Covid. And happy anniversary!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    I did a quick one miler on the treadmill this morning, just to kind of warm up. I might try to do that more often when the weather is crummy as it is today - I could walk today, I used to walk in the rain with a raincoat and rainhat, but I probably will skip that. I did my strength training as well, focus on Wednesdays is mobility and stability. I enjoy it.
  • basoranno
    basoranno Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! I was hoping I would have a couple of walking days outside but yesterday the wind was nasty and the temps dropped. Today it’s just cold. Although slow, I was able to get the time in on the treadmill and elliptical. It’s a slow go but I’m making progress. Not like you guys but I’m getting there. I’m determined! Little by little my confidence is building. We have some cold weather coming the next couple of days. Wind chill advisories but then we should see some 20’s and low 30’s.

Keep up the great work! Hopefully I’ll be up there with you in the near future. Not the running miles but just miles.