Daily Check In

Options

Replies

• sunshineyourway
    sunshineyourway Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All.. I am trying to catch up reading your posts. So sorry I have not been around for awhile. Trying to play catch up now. I just created new thread for April Goals and need to finish calculating my March miles..

Gloria, your pictures are great from your race. Sounds like you all had so much fun.. I could never qualify for Half Fanatic now since many of my local races have been cancelled or terminated. I sure miss the Raleigh Rock N Roll which use to be in April. Last year I finally broke down and just paid for the lifetime membership for the Half Fanatics, so I would not have to keep paying every year. It has paid for itself with the Running shoe discounts and race discounts. I qualified with doing 3 HM within a 63 day period. Back then I was running about 2:10 for my time and the best was 2:08 finish time, here in Raleigh. MY goal was to get a sub 2 hour finish. I hope you have another great race coming up. Is it this weekend? I was looking back on my FL HM's and saw I had one I did in 1:56. Holy Moly. That must have been when I was training with my young friend who was in the Airforce. I finished a Full Marathon back then at 4:09. Best time ever.

Hi Becky, I have not finished reading all your posts but will hopefully today. I am so thrilled to hear your good news from the doctor. I am also thrilled to hear of you being able to get out to the Lake and your walking without cane. You have been doing so well with your recovery..

Here are a few pictures from the Tobacco Road Race I did in March. I will have to add the one with my H Fanatic meet up later. My hubby gave me a new computer that he was using and it did not transfer over.
    Have a Wonderful Day All!

6ml0hjgji2nc.jpg
    fa3ukgq22syk.jpg
  • gloriawrightcook
    gloriawrightcook Posts: 4,265 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I am still having PC issues, hopefully we have figured out what to do until I can get this one fixed or replaced. It is so hard posting from the phone. It was in the low to mid-60s today but a bit rainy. But I was able to get out for three miles and it went pretty well. I am not going to do another half, at least not for now. I've got my eye on a half for September but I need to focus on building my endurance up - what I am doing now is not working. I can do three or four miles but after that, I am in too much pain. I am going to do a 10K for Memorial Day and I am going to sit down maybe tomorrow and work on a training plan so that I can build up to six miles with a good pace. Sharon, you are just amazing with your mileage, pace and races! I hope one day I can get back there....I was looking at my times for the half that I did Saturday - this was my seventh time doing that race and I am so far off from my best time on that course - it makes me feel bad.
  • basoranno
    basoranno Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nice job Gloria! One of the races I used to do had a long hill. It was the turnaround for the race. All the times I ran this race, that hill was the killer. I really miss that race. Last fall was the end of that race. That seems to be the norm around here. The 8k I used to run was this last Saturday and not even 400 people raced. It used to be so many more. Plus none of the people I used to run it with were there. I think people get tired of the smaller races. The large races do well. The Tri we used to have here stopped for the pandemic and I don’t know if it’ll ever happen again. The guy that took it over is now our Mayor.
    My shoulder has really been bothering me. Tried to make an appt with my primary Dr today but the earliest I could see him is May 4. I’m going to leave a message with my Ortho Dr and see if he can help me. It bothers me most when I’m trying to sleep. Not good.
    Today I wasn’t sure what kind of exercise to do. Looked like rain outside so I went on the Elliptical. Afterwards it looked like the sun was trying to come out so I did dog walks. They were slow but I got my steps in. I had to walk them separately so I needed to take it easy with the first one. My big dog was more of a training walk. He’s so good with me but then again we didn’t have to deal with people or other dogs. It’s raining now and it looks like it’s going to be wet tomorrow too. We sure are getting our April showers.
    I hope everyone’s day went well today!
    Have a great evening!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    My PC is totally dead now - I will try to check in from time to time on my DH's PC. Mine will be sent to Dell - hope that they actually fix it this time. Last time they didn't. It is still under warranty. Frustrating!

Becky, hope you were able to get in with the ortho. Yeah, not good when you can't sleep well. A few races around here have disappeared as well but I don't think it was because of Covid. Like you said, I think it was because people don't want to do smaller ones anymore. There are still plenty around but a couple of favorites aren't around anymore. One of the good ones that we loved was a 10 miler but I had to quit doing that one because it had a two hour time limit and as the years passed, I was just not sure if I could do it in that time, and I didn't want to risk it. Last time I did it one of my friends came in last - I think she was just over two hours. That was in 2018 I think (not sure). One race we have here used to be a 5K and a 15K - they had a time limit for the 15kK. I did it every year but then I had to quit that too because I wasn't sure if I could meet their time limit. I think not many people did the 15K so now it is a 10K. I did it last year and it was a lot more fun. I will do it this year too. That is the next race I am scheduled for at this point. I said no more virtual races because it is dumb to spend money to run at home but I did sign up for three with my BFF - and there are cute medals. It's through Disney and the theme is Frozen so we might dress up as Anna and Elsa and find special routes to run (not around home) for those. We will do something to make it fun, and maybe go to our favorite coffee shop afterwards for a treat.

Today it was rainy but I was able to get out between storms. I think part of my problem is my natural pace is 10:30 to 11:00 minute/mile but I don't have the endurance for that pace anymore and I have such a hard time slowing down, so today I set my Garmin to alert me if I was running faster than a 12:00 min/mile. I did that along with 4:1 run/walk intervals and I did okay - probably about the same overall pace or a bit slower than when I did 1:1 intervals. It was a short run, just under three miles but I need to practice pacing myself so this was a good thing for me to do. It was pretty warm and humid and I wore a t-shirt, but that wind was fierce and I was not very warm!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Ugh! Our furnace is out and it is cold in here - and we are going to have temps that are like January for the next few days so UGH!!! I did my strength training today, another focus on stability and mobility and it was easier than yesterday. Then I walked. It was a bit chilly and windy, which made me even more cold when I got home since it is freezing in here with no heat! DH called someone to come look at it but they haven't called back yet.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning! Finally we have sunshine. It was a nice day yesterday. I just did a dog walk. Knees were sore from standing in one place too long the night before. Low 60’s today so I will head to the lake soon. I had to down my dog yesterday which messed up my back a bit. Still hurts a little. Want to go to a chiropractor so bad but not willing to risk a move that will mess with my hip.
    Gloria-sorry about the furnace going out. This weather has been crazy. We aren’t going to have a Spring again I’m afraid. Only a month till planting season for us and no warm weather in sight. We will have a few 60 degree days and then we get 40’s and rain and snow. We never got a major winter storm this year. We could still get one but the later it gets, the more doubtful we will.
    I should get moving so I can get to the lake before it gets busy down there.

Stay warm and have a wonderful Sunday!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Glad you are getting some good weather Becky! Today is great here, 77 and sunny, a huge change from the past couple of days. So the furnace is fixed but I guess we don't really need it now. I got out and ran three miles, pretty slow though. My joints hurt. Probably too much sugar yesterday. Then I walked another mile.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good afternoon! We had nice weather. That’s all changed now. I wanted to get out for a walk yesterday after the elliptical workout but my knees said no. It wasn’t cold but it was very windy. Garage door Spring broke so I was stuck at home until they came and fixed it. Then we had storms come thru. Lots of hail and rain. No severe weather here but about 20 min away from us they had tornado warnings. This weather is so unusual for us this time of year. Today it’s gloomy and misty. We just had a quick burst of sleet and snow.
    I took today as a total rest day. After doing over 9,000 steps on Sunday and then continuing to exercise afterwards, my knees were killing me. They don’t bother me on the elliptical but by late in the afternoon they do.
    I’ll be back at it tomorrow again. I’m planning on doing my grocery shopping tomorrow for whatever I’m fixing for Easter. Just my boys and the girls will be here. Hard to believe it’s already Easter. It’s getting close to growing season. Can’t wait! First I have a ton of weeding to do and I haven’t quite figured out how I’m going to get it all done. Should be interesting.
    Doing pretty well with my eating. I still haven’t gotten in that scale. I’m waiting for a feeling really good sort of morning to do it.
    Have a nice evening!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Storms are here now! It just started. There is a tornado watch. We already had so much rain yesterday and now we are getting a downpour and it looks like it is going to last for a while. It got up to around 85 degrees today!! Hot. And it is humid.

I ran a couple of miles yesterday but my left knee is very painful right now. Don't know why. My right knee is the one that usually gives me trouble. Plus it was miserably humid, which I am not used to yet. I ended up stopping the run and walked the rest of the way. I did my strength training today and then walked with my BFF. Later this afternoon I thought my knee was feeling a bit better. I hope so because I would like to run tomorrow.

Becky, I did my shopping for Easter today - it is just going to be DH and me. We are having turkey. I will fix him something for breakfast too, not sure what yet, maybe sausage and biscuits or maybe a sausage and egg casserole. Gosh, groceries have gotten so expensive!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    I got out and ran today, not super speedy but pretty good and I think it is because of the weather - it is in the mid-60s (which is colder than average for us), low humidity and there is a nice breeze. The sky is beautiful. Much better than yesterday when it was 85 and then we had those storms come through.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Gloria-I’m not ready for the 80’s and humidity. 60’s is perfect for me right now. So is your knee better? I always seemed to have that happen to me also. One day it was one thing, the next the other.
    Our weather had not been good. It has been so windy and the wind is very cold. Feels more like early Spring. The wind just won’t let up either. Looks like another Elliptical workout. My knees have been really hurting. I didn’t do any workout at all yesterday. Getting really frustrated as I can’t get in to see my Dr till May 12.
    I was trying on pants yesterday and I don’t have any that fit. I was so frustrated that I got on the scale and I’m up almost 20 lbs since my surgery. I was so angry! I require exercise to help lose weight and having to rest so darn much because of the aches, I tend to graze. I try and watch it though but I don’t think it matters. I’m lucky to burn 300 cal. Most of the time it’s under that. I got over 9,000 steps in last Sunday and my body was angry with me. I had to cut back this week. I know now I have to figure this out. I have my son’s graduation in May and I can’t show up in joggers. We went out for fish last night which I knew wasn’t going to be great for me. I tend to not get broiled everywhere cuz not everyone makes it good. Today I will eat well but tomorrow won’t be great. I’ll do my best. Plus I will exercise in the morning. I’ll get this figured out one way or another.

I hope everyone has a great Saturday and a wonderful Easter! I hope your weather is nice. Ours will be the same. Wind, clouds, maybe a bit if sunshine and highs in the low 40’s.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and Ramadan Murbarak to everyone who celebrates these holidays. Becky, are you having Easter dinner at your house? Ugh, I am sorry about your knees, that is so hard to deal with and I know you really want to exercise.

I got out today with a few of my friends (four of us to start) and walked/run. These are the ladies who like to walk up hills and then run down them. Two of them have very hilly races coming up in the next two weeks so they wanted very hilly. It was nice this morning, around 60 degrees. About halfway through our route I saw one of my good friends in the distance (she is the one who trained with me for my first full marathon AND did the full marathon with me). So I called to her and she joined us for the second half of our route. We did eight miles and mostly my hip, back and knees felt fine but we were walking a lot and not pushing too much. Tomorrow should be okay weather - not very warm for here, colder than average, but decent, maybe around 65. It has been such a quirky spring. We have had so much rain here and it has been colder than average since I think February. They were saying we wouldn't get anymore rain for a while but now they are saying it might rain, even tomorrow. So who knows. I would like to get in a short run tomorrow if possible, just two or three miles. I am cooking tomorrow too, probably will fix some breakfast for us, and then our Easter meal (we are having turkey).
  • basoranno
    Options
    Hello!
    I hope everyone had a nice Easter!
    Gloria-I did cook. First holiday meal since my surgery that I was able to do everything again. The weather actually was decent. Light wind and sunshine. We hit the mid 40’s.
    Today totally opposite. Windy, cold with snow showers. No accumulations but we’re tired of seeing those flakes already. Plus the wind makes it feel so cold!
    I’m so tired of indoor workouts but I’m getting it done. Plus today I got totally serious about getting these extra lbs off. I’m bumping my daily calories down a bit. I’ve been keeping around 1500 so I’m thinking I’ll keep with that. If I’m under thats great. I’m hoping for some outdoor exercise this week. I’m never going to be able to walk the whole lake if I can’t get out there. I’m up to 2.5 miles. Just over a mile to go. I’m trying to stay positive.
    Gloria-it seems like everyone has had a lot of rain. We’ve had more rain than snow this past winter and it’s continued into Spring. I’m glad you’re able to get out with friends to do your runs. I miss those days. Some day I hope to get those days back.
    Time to get moving here! I hope everyone had a nice Monday!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Oh gosh Becky, snow showers, yuck. I am glad it isn't sticking but I know you are ready for some real spring weather. It hasn't been overly nice here either. Colder than average and we had eight days in a row with rain. We are 9" above average for rain so far this year and actually already have received half our usual rainfall for the year. No wonder I don't want to go outside. I really wish we could put our winter coats away but I think we still might have some cold nights.

I got out and ran this afternoon. It wasn't super fast but not super slow either. But even though it was not fast it felt like I was working hard for it. Heart rate was up there on mile three (which is admittedly quite hilly). I had to stop and walk for a few minutes extra on that mile. I did 3.5 and then the last half was my fastest so at least there is that....and by the time I got to three my hip was bothering me. I need to be able to do six so I can do some 10Ks, and that is why I added the half today. I also have been texting back and forth with one of my former personal trainers. I appreciate his insights. Wish I could afford a personal trainer now but don't feel that is a good thing to do at this point.

Okay, gonna go for now, maybe I can do some crafting this evening, or something productive.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Happy Friday!
    Another rainy day! Yesterday was really nice. We can only have 1 nice day and then we get days of rain. Anyone doing trails has nothing but mud. When it is nice, it’s windy. People are getting their bikes out now too. We want the nice weather!
    I was hoping the rain would hold off today. I did the Elliptical and then I was going to grocery shop this morning. It poured so I went after lunch. It’s musty and windy now so I’ll skip it. Hopefully we’ll have some dry weather tomorrow to get some walking in.
    Garden centers are starting to open here. Way too early for flowers.
    Gloria-so many areas are seeing all the rain. We definitely didn’t get as much snow as we did rain. I’m actually not going to complain. I’m no longer an active winter person.
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend and are able to get those runs in. I’ll be thinking about those runs!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    It's actually hot here today! Today was the Nashville Rock 'n Roll Half/Marathon. I am not sure what happened...they might have cut the marathon short due to the heat. Or maybe the person who mentioned it to me just didn't meet the cut off on time. I didn't do it this year (I have done the half a few times and the full once, it was way hotter the time I did the full and they had taken tons of people to the ER for heat related issues). I honestly didn't think it was too bad today. People were complaining about the humidity too but it is not that bad here. I guess for someone doing the marathon at a slow pace it did get pretty warm but for the half, it started out very nice and the dew point was very low.

Anyway, hope you got some walking in Becky! Usually stuff here is planted by now but it has been really cold this spring so I know a lot of people were waiting. Strawberries will be ready in the next week or so. I sort of want a greenhouse.

I ran with my BFF this morning - often times I run with her and even if we do run/walk/run intervals I struggle because she is a lot faster than I am, but I thought it went well today. We did six miles, very slowly, intervals, but we were consistent and I didn't have to stop and walk other than the walking intervals (last time I ran with her I ended up having to walk after a couple of miles and we only did four miles). I was very pleased with it.

This afternoon I am not feeling well at all. I haven't felt great most of the week. Ugh, I guess Monday I need to go to the doc if I can get in.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Just stopping by for a minute to say hi. I was bitten by a brown recluse spider on my forearm. It hurts just terribly, it's so awful. I walked one day with my BFF, I guess it was Tuesday, before it got super bad. But yesterday I couldn't run, it just hurts too much. I went to a clinic and she prescribed prednisone and some antibiotic that I can't even take, so ugh. I slept about two hours last night. Even with Benadryl I can't sleep. I am hoping I will be lucky and it will heal quickly but right now my entire arm is swollen up and it's purple. Hoping it doesn't rot my skin away as brown recluse bites can do. Last night my DH wanted to take me to the ER but we ended up not going.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Gloria-I’m so sorry to hear that. I’ve read awful things about that bite. We don’t naturally have those spiders here but they have made their way here via trains, etc. I guess they can’t survive our Winters. Yet! I remember reading someone in WI was bitten years ago. They figured it was on the laundry she hung up outside. Now I shake everything really good! I hope it gets better soon and doesn’t cause any more problems for you.
    Walking has been going well when I can actually get out. This weather has been awful. We see the sun maybe once a week. Otherwise it’s cloudy and rain. My body has been aching so bad. Luckily I see my Dr in a couple of weeks and hopefully I can figure things out. I have been so tired from lack of sleep but the last few night have been pretty good. In fact yesterday after lunch, I sat down to just shut my eyes for a bit cuz I was tired and I ended up falling asleep. I can never nap. So I figure I must’ve been pretty tired. Felt really good. When I got up, I took one of my dogs for a walk and to do a little training with him.
    I may walk this afternoon but this morning I need to do my moms shopping. Hopefully it won’t be raining.

Have a nice Friday!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Friday! I have to say that my state of mind is not so great right now. We ended up at the ER last night, and they put me on an antibiotic IV and also pain meds. They did release me and I am taking antibiotics for MRSA and staph. I was able to sleep better last night, I only had to get up one time to ice my arm and I thought maybe the swelling was going down but now it is swelling again so I am very anxious. My sweet husband has been taking care of me and helping me. I don't know if I want to try to go for a walk. Maybe my mind would feel better if I did.

Becky, you must have really needed that nap. Hope you didn't get rain.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Gloria-I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. I hope the antibiotics take care of this. Are these bites common where you are? Rest up and hopefully you can put this behind you very soon.
    Mentally I’ve been dealing with a lot. I haven’t felt this low in years. I’m talking about 8-10 yrs. Everyone is trying to help me feel better but I know it’s going to take time. This weather isn’t helping either. So, so tired of all the rain we’re having. The temps aren’t bad but you can’t get out and enjoy them. Hoping for some dry weather this week. As long as it’s not raining hard today, my plan is to get out for a walk at some point. My indoor exercise was better yesterday but I’d much rather be outdoors.
    I hope everyone’s weather is better than ours and that you have a wonderful Sunday!