Daily Check In

Options

Replies

• gloriawrightcook
    gloriawrightcook Posts: 4,256 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I didn't realize I hadn't posted in a few days. Becky, I hope you can get out and enjoy some fresh air and sunshine. It's hard not to feel down when the weather is so gloomy and wet.

So with all the crazy I didn't post for a few days. I am in the hospital. The swelling in my arm got crazy and we had to go back to the ER and they admitted me. I've been here since Friday. The attending physician said it will probably be Tuesday before I can go home but we are kind of hoping for tomorrow. There are some consulting physicians, one a surgeon and one an infectious disease doctor, who are consulting in this and they seem to be in disagreement about what is happening. The infectious disease doc says this is all about the spider bite (Becky, yeah these spiders are very common here). The surgeon thinks that I was bitten and it triggered an immune response and caused shingles. I just had shingles less than two months ago and it would be odd to have it again so soon, not only that, but the infectious disease guy says this blister pattern is not consistent with shingles. Also my whole arm is ballooned up - literally, it feels like a water balloon and I have a lot of loose skin but is so tight right now that it is super painful. My arms are tiny but right now my right arm is HUGE! The bite is painful, the rash is painful and the swelling is painful AND on top of that, I have a whole body rash of some sort and they don't know what is causing that. If it was just the spider bite, they would send me home. The bite might take a long time to heal but I don't have to be in the hospital for that. But they are observing me because of all of the other stuff. I had a CT scan to make sure there are no abscesses and no infection. My vitals are excellent and other than my arm is in severe pain and this other rash is causing discomfort, I feel okay. I know I won't be able to run for a while though. I cannot sleep because the arm pain is so bad. Tonight they will give me some pain meds (so far I have only requested Tylenol but tonight they want me to try something else) so that maybe I can sleep. I am also taking Benadryl and a pretty high dose of prednisone. My DH has been wonderful through all of this. What a guy! I am so exhausted so this afternoon he went out to get me a salad and I tried to nap - I can lay down with my arm this way, just too much pain but I was able to kind of recline in my bed a bit and slept a little. According to my record, I have gained 10 pounds since I have been here - I have only eaten salads and not much else (I can't eat the food here, blech, I should have requested vegan/gluten free) so I am not sure how this can be but they are saying it might be because of the meds and stress - and my glucose has been high every day, and that is really weird - I usually have good fasting glucose. Kind of worrying but until my body settles down and gets back to normal, I just have to try not to worry.
  • basoranno
    basoranno Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Gloria-I’m so sorry. That’s sound horrible. Prednisone tends to cause weight gain and it also will affect your glucose level. If taken too much it can cause you to be diabetic. Happened to my dad. He was able to manage the diabetes’ with pills and diet until he had to go to the hospital and for some reason they bumped up the prednisone to a higher level and then he had to have insulin shots. That became his norm. Once they wean you off of the prednisone you should go back to normal. Plus your weight gain should go down too. I hope you get to go home today or tomorrow and everything starts looking better.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Gosh, it has been so long since I have been running! DH says I should wait until my arm is fully healed but if I am feeling up to it, I might go out in the next couple of days. I have gone for two walks in the past few days, one with the group at Fleet Feet and one with BFF. I think the hospital bed weighed me wrong because when I got home I was more than ten pounds LESS than what they said and I guess in a way that makes sense because I was in the bed with clothing and three of their blankets, and one of mine. When I was in the ER my weight was just a little over what it had been that morning and that made sense because of my clothes and all, so it was crazy that I would have gained that much. So now I am a few pounds above where I want to be but still in the healthy range and I am good with that, now that the prednisone is done, hopefully I can loose that quickly.

Becky, how is the weather up there? I hope spring has finally sprung for you. It is going to be really hot here this week.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Gloria-Glad you’re doing better. Has the swelling gone down now? It’s probably best that you wait till you feel up to it.
    Our weather has improved. It was a beautiful day yesterday. Much warmer and sun. Today it’s been wet and I little cooler. Everything is starting to green up. The trees are finally starting to get leaves. By the end of the week it should be really nice. I need to get to the lake to smell all of the apple blossoms. 80’s this week. No running but my walking is slowly improving.

Happy Mothers Day to all of the moms! Have a great day!
  • sunshineyourway
    sunshineyourway Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

So sorry I have not posted in awhile. So much going on right now and since I doubled my running miles, I have been a bit worn out. In addition, I have been spending a lot of time trying to get my Organic Garden set up. My husband and I also started checking out some Fitness Centers and also went to do early voting for the 2022 Primaries.

I finally caught up on adding up my mileage for March, April and the beginning of May.. WOW, last month I ran 165.51 miles. The most I have ever done running only three days a week.

I joined a fun Challenge on FB called Run the Year (Edge) Run 2022 miles for the year. I just made my 700 mile bib. I don't have a treadmill but to keep a streak going, on non run days I do the Indoor Running with Leslie Sansone. Just 1 mile to keep it going. That is not included in my totals posted here. I just record actual outdoor running miles.

It is fun. Here is a link if you want to check it out..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XbfW90grUk&ab_channel=WalkatHome

I will have to come back to catch up on all your posts later. Wishing you all a great week!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hey Everyone!

Sharon, that looks like it would be a fun video. I haven't tried anything like that before! But I do have my rebounder to run on - there are YouTube videos for "running" a 5K, etc., on the rebounder and it is really fun. Well, with all of my setbacks it seems like this is not going to be my year to even hit 1,000 miles for running.

Becky, apple blossoms, that sounds so pretty and they must smell so nice! I am not sure if we have a lot of apples here - I think not but I could be wrong. I am kind of in the mood to do some flowers outside this year - I never do that but it was mostly because of work you know? If I am going to, I need to plan what to plant and get on it - I am like a month behind on planting if I decide to do anything. I saw some beautiful pansies today, they will die soon because it is too hot here. And I saw some beautiful roses. Our stuff has been blooming for a while but this were just brilliant.

I ran this morning, yikes, just missing a couple of weeks and I feel like I am starting from scratch - or maybe it was just because it is HOT. I did about three miles, and it actually felt really good but it was so darned slow - I was already slow, I don't need to be slower, lol. But I was so glad to be out RUNNING! I did some intervals, at first it was 4:1 and then it was 2:1, just because it had been a couple of weeks and I felt like I needed to take it easy. But it wasn't easy!
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Evening! Our summer weather is continuing. Love it! Don’t like it being so humid though. Storms last night. Not bad. Mostly a cloud to cloud lightning show with some rain.
    I was hoping for another 10,000 step day today but ended up shopping for a few clothes. I’m pretty desperate right now for bottoms. I try to concentrate on eating right and exercising versus the weight gain. Having the nice weather keeps me going.
    Gloria-I’m glad you were able to get out for a run. I know it’s not the kind of run you’d like but you’re able to get out and do it and that’s great! You’ll get back on track in no time.
    I’ve been doing the elliptical almost daily. I find it’s very good for my knees. If I could get to the lake more then I wouldn’t use it as much but it seems like these weeks are always busy right now. Trying to find the time to get everything done is challenging. I’m hoping next week will be better. DH will be in FL so it’ll be me and the dogs. Hopefully I can get some training in.
    90’s in the forecast for Thurs! I’m really loving this weather.
    Sharon-I love seeing all of your miles. I checked out that video. I think I could probably do that. The jogging wouldn’t be too bad.
    Well, time to get moving here!

Have a nice evening!
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Good Morning All..

I did get my 13.12 mile run done yesterday, but it was rough. I have been having GI issues since my doctor increased my Armour Thyroid meds and she has me taking it in the morning. I use to take it before bedtime because when I wake up to the smell of coffee, it is not easy waiting 30:00. I may try taking one at bedtime and then the other one when first waking and see how that works. Let's just say, I made a lot of stops yesterday.

Gloria, what is a rebounder? Sorry to hear about all your set backs on running. I know you will get back to it soon.
    Becky, hopefully you will find more time in your schedule to get out to the lake while the weather is so nice. You have been doing great on your elliptical. I sure wish I had the space for all that. I use to have my home gym/workout room when living in FL. Those machines never made it up here. So sad. It is taking a lot of time getting this house organized. I would love to eventually add a sunroom/fitness area to the back of the house.

Got to go. Today will be my indoor run and then Gilad's Challenge workouts. Wishing all a wonderful day.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Friday! Becky, is it still good weather there? It's been hot here too. Have you been out to the lake this week? So awesome that you have the elliptical. I really want an exercise room (Sharon, I want one too, my DH says we will fix one up for me but it never happens, we really don't have room since he takes up half the house with his TOYS)! I do have the old treadmill. I really need a new one though.

Sharon, a rebounder is a mini trampoline. A couple of people in our 5% challenge have one (Ceri being one of them) and they were posting about them a lot. It is really good for core too. I really enjoy it but the problem is that I don't have a great place to keep it so it is a pain to haul it out and put it away. YES, I NEED an exercise room. I didn't really believe I would get a good workout on the rebounder but I do, it is awesome! I use it more in the winter - when it is nice like this I want to get outside!

Last night I enjoyed an easy walk. This morning I did some run/walk/run intervals. It was warm out but it really went well and I felt great. Slow and easy. I felt happy. My Garmin said I was "Productive." LOL. I don't know what I will do tomorrow - I would like to do six miles but if I go with my friends, they will mostly walk (and run a little) so I should probably go by myself so I can mostly run (and walk a little). We will see, I am open to whatever. There might be some storms too so that might impact the plans as well.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    We have been having beautiful weather. Thursday though was hot and humid. Too early for that kind of weather. The trees are finally full of leaves and everything is so green right now. I just love it. No lake walks yet. Depending on how I feel after outdoor work today, I may go down there tomorrow.
    I did my elliptical yesterday and then grocery shopping and more plant shopping. Finished potting my flowers and then continued with my weeding. For some reason my knees were not happy yesterday and so I didn’t get as much done as I would’ve liked. This morning everything aches.
    Had a Dr appt on Thursday and found out I have pretty low iron. It never came back up after hip surgery. That explains alot about how I’ve been feeling especially after I exercise. I used to feel energized after exercising and now I’m tired. He wants to do a iron infusion but that’s dependent on insurance. Otherwise I can take iron pills. I still have some from after my surgery. I’m just not a fan of those.
    Gloria-it sounds like you’re doing much better. I do like my exercise room. I use it a lot especially now.
    Busy weekend ahead and the beginning of the week will be busier than I’d like but after that my routine should be back. I’ve always told everyone that my exercise comes first before anything else and I do the elliptical most days but the walking needs to increase. I’m moving earlier now so hopefully the lake will become a reg. thing again very soon. Just in time to be attacked by Red Wing Black birds! Plus momma geese!
    I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Oh wow Becky, is there some kind of food you can eat to get your iron up? When I was in the hospital my RBC was low but no one seemed too concerned. I will be having bloodwork done at the rheumatologist next week and that at my PCP in June, so if it is still low, I wonder if they will want me to do something. I feel fine though, maybe just tired.

Why do the red wing blackbirds attack Becky? Is it because they have babies? I know about the geese for sure, we have a lot of geese here! I like them okay despite the fact that they are rude and messy (they roost in our driveway). They can be vicious when it comes to their eggs and their babies! I got a picture of some last weekend when I was out running.

I went with my friend Monica to run/walk this morning, more walking than running but yikes, she walks so fast! Sometimes I think she walks faster than I run!

77dx8duonygm.jpg
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    I did my little run today, did run/walk intervals. I got started so late and it was already very hot. It's not super humid here yet like it will be but it is humid enough and there wasn't a lot of wind. By the time I got to mile 3 I was feeling it and walked a bit more. I have to get acclimated to this and I need to remember to carry my water with me.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Evening!
    What a beautiful weekend. Perfect weather. Today I made it a little over 3 miles at the lake. The apple trees are in full bloom. There is a park bench under 2 apple trees that I sat under. It smelled so good. My knees were killing me today unfortunately. I’ve done a lot of bending the last few days plus exercising. Yesterday was my rest day from exercising but I sure did get my exercise in by doing yard work.
    Gloria-the blackbirds are protecting their nests. They come from behind and will pretty much hit you in the back of the head. The first time it happened I swore someone slapped me in the head. I turned around ready to slap someone back but no one was there. Just the darn bird. Now I’m prepared! Sometimes they’ll be jerks and just poop on you. The geese? Yes, they will hiss at you as you’re going by. They only do that when there’s babies.
    Tomorrow is going to be a definite rest day. We take my Dh to the airport and then off to have lunch with my son. The rest is needed.
    I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Enjoy your evening!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Wow, I have never had birds do that to me! We have birds here with nests, but I haven't seen a lot of those kind of birds around here (actually I did see some flying the other day, but I have never seen a lot of them). I hope your knees feel better Becky. And yard work is very hard and strenuous!

I walked today, and the weather was beautiful. The humidity is down and there was a nice northerly breeze. That won't last long so I guess I should have taken advantage and run instead, but I ran yesterday...so, it is what it is. I don't know if I will have time for anything tomorrow, I've got the rheumatologist and then continuing professional education (and that is far away from here) so we will see how things go!
  • sunshineyourway
    Options
    Good evening Everyone..

Becky, I remember when living in FL, I ran through the Mangroves and a small black bird came at me. I am thinking I must have been close to a nest.. Another funny thing was I was running with a friend down Bayshore Drive and she told me a bat flew right by my face. Yikes... I did not visually see it but really freaked out. Glad the weather was nice and you were able to get a 3 miler in at the Lake. Hope your knees feel better. I have gotten to the point, that I need to sit on a stool when working in my garden. As long as I don't lean to forward, I am OK. I forgot a couple of times, and it created problems with my lower back.

Gloria, thank you. I do have a rebounder too. I just did not know that was the name for it. My mom gave me one years ago but it did not make it during the move.. So my sister gave me hers. I love it too. In FL, I used it a lot when it rained- seasonal. Up here I use it in the Winter, when the weather is bad. I bring it out right in front of the TV and run on it.

I ran another 13.25 mile run this morning, making it #43 YTD. I am sure once it comes time to start training for Fall HM, I will drop down some. I really need a day for short speed runs. My pace has slowed so much doing HM length runs. Tummy issues too. I only hope this gets resolved. Feels like it has been going on for a couple of months now.

Got to go! Have a great evening.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Already Tuesday night, so another week is flying by! Sharon, I love the idea of a bench or stool for the yard, I think I am going to look into that.

I have been wanting to do more speed sessions but haven't lately. It's hard to get on the track these days. But school is out next week so then it might be easier.

Sharon, I hope your tummy gets better. That is so hard for runners.

I had such a full day with continuing professional education (that was kind of far away from here) and also a rheumatologist appointment so I got up very early to run - only had time for a couple of miles but it went well, did run/walk intervals but my pace was decent and I was so happy with it. Of course Garmin said it was "unproductive." Whatever!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    I'm tired today! But I did get up and do a short run this morning. It was slow but then I also stopped on the route and talked to someone I know who was also running so I guess that didn't help. I am going for a walk with my BFF in a while.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good morning!
    Another beautiful start to the day.
    I took another rest day yesterday. Well, I cleaned the house but no exercise. I haven’t been sleeping great and I actually took a nap yesterday afternoon. When I sleep in the afternoon I know I’m tired and needed it.
    Today I will start on the elliptical and see what other exercise I will do. I figured I probably shouldn’t have walked that much on Sunday seeing as my knees were already bothering me. Then sitting in a car for over 3 hrs on Monday did me no good either.
    The weather pattern is changing which is causing me to ache. Although it’s starting out nice, we have storms coming our way later along with a cold front which will drop our temps for the weekend. I seem to feel better with the warm, muggy temps.
    I start my iron infusions next week. I guess I get 5 of them total. I’m hoping that makes me feel a lot better.
    Time for the elliptical!
    Have a great Thursday!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hello! It is so hot and humid here today. The heat index/feels like is 96. Becky, I hope the infusions make you feel better! I am hoping that by adding some different foods to my nutrition I can get my RBC and hemocrit up enough. I had bloodwork done at the rheumatologist on Tuesday and I am hopeful the results will be good. Do they know what is causing that for you?

I didn't get up early (also due to not sleeping well in the night) so I didn't walk or run this morning. I did get a message from one of my friends asking about walking this afternoon after she gets off work and I told her okay. Hopefully the weather will hold out for us!
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    It’s a very soggy morning! We had over 4 inches of rain last night. Didn’t think it was going to quit.
    Gloria-my low iron if from having my hip replaced 8 mos ago. You lose a lot of blood. A lot of times they’ll do blood transfusions but the Hospitalist felt that iron pills would be enough. I didn’t realize that I needed to take them 3 times a day. I couldn’t do it. I took them for a couple weeks and then decided food was a better way to go. Worked the last time I was anemic and my surgeon at the time suggested food rather than pills. After all this time, my iron never went up so now I need to get it up. Hopefully I’ll feel a lot better afterwards.
    My knees are still hurting after all I did last week. I’m trying to exercise but I also need to take it easy until they feel better. I get so frustrated. Others bounce back quickly after surgery. I’m one if the unlucky ones that did everything right before the surgery and I’m trying to do everything right now but my body has different ideas.
    I have to do some shopping for my mom this morning after it stops raining so hopefully I’ll get my exercise in this afternoon.
    I hope everyone has a great Friday and a wonderful weekend. More storms this morning but they shouldn’t be a big deal.