TEAM: The Slimsons (October)

Options

Replies

• vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options
    I’m going camping this weekend so I’m going to do my weigh in today instead of tomorrow if that’s ok

Oct week 3?
    PW 208.2
    CW 205.7
  • DebJB30
    DebJB30 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    [quote=
    Comments: Man, I had really thought I'd been posting, turns out, I was way behind! Ugh. How does time get away from me like that. [/quote]

Same thing happened to me. I just logged in, and thought - How did it get to be Friday already??

Monday

Track: Yes
    Calories: Over
    Exercise: Yes: 7,000 Steps

Tuesday

Calories: Under
    Exercise: No

Wednesday

Calories: Over (It was my birthday - predictable!) :)
    Exercise: Yes: 5,400 Steps

Thursday

Exercise: Yes: 7,400 Steps

Goals/Comments:

I've joined a StepBet, and that is really helping me stay motivated to get my steps in. I'm not eating my exercise calories back, though. I don't trust my FB calorie burn estimates. I have my calories set at 1,300 and usually I can stay under that unless I snack on unhealthy food or start drinking calories.

• DebJB30
    DebJB30 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    chublet25 wrote: »
    Plateaus.....

I am wondering about your experiences with plateaus....have you had one/some, and how long did it/they last and how did you overcome it/them? I have read that you could try eating more for a bit (slippery slope for me) or changing your exercise routine. Did those work for anybody? How did you keep from throwing in the towel like I always did?

Pat

I wrote you a long response to this (because the whole subject of plateaus is really interesting to me). Then I lost the whole thing... So here's a shorter version... I'm kind of a geek and I like reading about the science of weight loss. Too bad knowing how it works doesn't automatically translate into making it work for yourself ;) I have been on the up and down yoyo experience, too.

The one thing I wanted to share is something that I recently learned about the way the body will work to maintain equillibrium after a certain amount of weight loss. It will become more efficient in movement and studies have shown that people unconsciously reduce steps, and other movement. NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis includes unconscious movements such as tapping toes, fidgeting, moving hands while talking, etc). All these unconscious movements add up to a calorie burn that can range from 250-500 a day or even higher for some individuals. When the body is trying to restore equilibrium and wants to conserve energy, it reduces these movements. This can contribute to a plateau in some cases and give people the sense that their metobolism is slowing down, when it is really just the body trying to compensate for the weight loss.

I found this to be fascinating. To compensate for this, increasing voluntary activity with more exercise and steps is one way, and I've also read that it's helpful to "trick" the body out of this by temporarily increasing calorie intake, as you mentioned. I know you mentioned that being a slippery slope, but I think this is still a controlled amount of calories, just a slightly higher amount, and you still track it. For me, I get in trouble when I don't track.

Personally, my problem has been my willingess to give myself "breaks" after losing 10 or 15 lbs, and then the breaks have no end. Nothing wrong with short breaks, but this time I'm committed to keep tracking everything I eat, and keep weighing myself, and staying active, for the long haul.

Ok.. So, not that much shorter after all....
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Well I completely forgot to track and post yesterday and today and forgot to weigh in smh
  • walk4today
    walk4today Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Daily Post
    Friday
    Track: yes
    Calories: yes, over
    Exercise: yes
  • southgirl94
    southgirl94 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    October Week 3 - Fri, 10/22

Exercise: None
  • FushiaKat
    FushiaKat Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Daily Post Friday 10-22-2021

Calories: Yes - Under

Goals/Day/Comments: I was in terrible pain most of the day and didn't move as much as normal. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
  • Bemybestby60
    Bemybestby60 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Daily Post Friday
    Track yes
    Calories yes and over
    Exercise yes treadmill
  • gemwolf110
    Options
    Username: gemwolf110
    Weigh in week: 3
    Weigh in day: Fri
    Previous Week's weight: 223.8
    Todays Weight: 223.4
  • gemwolf110
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Daily Post (Thursday)

Track: Yes -late
    Calories: Over
    Goals/Day/Comments:
    Reached step goal

Daily Post (Friday)

Track: Yes - late
    Calories: Yes
    Goals/Day/Comments:
    Exceeded step goal
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    Options
    Plateaus.....
    I am wondering about your experiences with plateaus....have you had one/some, and how long did it/they last and how did you overcome it/them? I have read that you could try eating more for a bit (slippery slope for me) or changing your exercise routine. Did those work for anybody? How did you keep from throwing in the towel like I always did?.

Pat

Hey Pat, I hear ya. 1st Congratulations on your steady progress.
    2nd what you've concluded makes perfect since to why I sometimes plateau when I reach 320s every time I tried before and maybe we do tend to slack off and not really be strict about what we're putting in our bodies. This is something I'm going to pay attention to while on this journey. Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    Bemybestby60
    October Challenge Week 3
    Wednesday weigh in
    Previous weight 193
    Current weight 186
    I didn't do anything different to lose 7lbs. My calorie intake was the same. Less exercise. I just don't understand 😕. But I will take it.

Congratulations. . .sometimes your body just have to play catchup
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    vicky2767 wrote: »
    I’m going camping this weekend so I’m going to do my weigh in today instead of tomorrow if that’s ok

Oct week 3?
    PW 208.2
    CW 205.7

Awesome 👌🏽 hope you enjoy your trip
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    gemwolf110 wrote: »
    Username: gemwolf110
    Weigh in week: 3
    Weigh in day: Fri
    Previous Week's weight: 223.8
    Todays Weight: 223.4

Still on track! Keep it up
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    DebJB30 wrote: »
    Plateaus.....

I am wondering about your experiences with plateaus....have you had one/some, and how long did it/they last and how did you overcome it/them? I have read that you could try eating more for a bit (slippery slope for me) or changing your exercise routine. Did those work for anybody? How did you keep from throwing in the towel like I always did?

Pat

I wrote you a long response to this (because the whole subject of plateaus is really interesting to me). Then I lost the whole thing... So here's a shorter version... I'm kind of a geek and I like reading about the science of weight loss. Too bad knowing how it works doesn't automatically translate into making it work for yourself ;) I have been on the up and down yoyo experience, too.

The one thing I wanted to share is something that I recently learned about the way the body will work to maintain equillibrium after a certain amount of weight loss. It will become more efficient in movement and studies have shown that people unconsciously reduce steps, and other movement. NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis includes unconscious movements such as tapping toes, fidgeting, moving hands while talking, etc). All these unconscious movements add up to a calorie burn that can range from 250-500 a day or even higher for some individuals. When the body is trying to restore equilibrium and wants to conserve energy, it reduces these movements. This can contribute to a plateau in some cases and give people the sense that their metobolism is slowing down, when it is really just the body trying to compensate for the weight loss.

I found this to be fascinating. To compensate for this, increasing voluntary activity with more exercise and steps is one way, and I've also read that it's helpful to "trick" the body out of this by temporarily increasing calorie intake, as you mentioned. I know you mentioned that being a slippery slope, but I think this is still a controlled amount of calories, just a slightly higher amount, and you still track it. For me, I get in trouble when I don't track.

Personally, my problem has been my willingess to give myself "breaks" after losing 10 or 15 lbs, and then the breaks have no end. Nothing wrong with short breaks, but this time I'm committed to keep tracking everything I eat, and keep weighing myself, and staying active, for the long haul.

Love the humor but very informative as well.
  • SalluR
    SalluR Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    DebJB30 wrote: »
    Plateaus.....

Pat

Good info ..
  • SalluR
    SalluR Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Daily post Friday
    Calories: yes
    Exercise: did two hours of groceries shopping

Daily post Saturday
    Exercise: walked for 60 mins
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    Daily Post

Thursday 10/21

Track yes
    Calories yes under
    Exercise yes 60mins of Interval workout
    Water 110oz

Goals/Comments: so still feeling horrible but forced myself to get up and make my smoothie and workout.

OAN: My Aide passed me off by refusing to clean my bathroom so I decided that she could go home. Had a conversation with the agency and told them was thinking about terminating their services all together. Then got in my head with thinking about situation(Side bar so as not bump heads I have been trying to do more and more by myself). Since moving to Charlotte the work ethics down here sucks. So instead on going through my 12th or 13th Aide in over a year I've decided going it alone. If need be I'll ask for help.

Friday

Track kinda (Intermittent fasting)
    Calories zero
    Exercise yes 30 minutes of Interval workout and 20 minutes of Walking
    Water 120oz

Goals/Comments: Woke up feeling so much better 😌. I had my 1st doctor appointment over the phone at 8am yearly follow up with cardiologist. She was super impressed with my results of 64lbs since she saw me last and my resting HR went from 121 to 73 (a huge accomplishment 👏🏾) Explained to her about my concerns of the high cholesterol and she said my body needs time to catch up.

My 2nd appointment not so good. Although this new GI doctor is impressed with my new lifestyle turns out I have 2 hernias. 1 hiatal hernia and one ventral hernia. WOW! He also want to start a bland diet (THAT'S NOT HAPPENING) but I will start back on pantaprozole 2x day.

Lastly it got too late to eat (like to eat my last meal before 7pm) so decided to extend my fast to 1140am Saturday so that means I'm on a 40 hour Intermittent fasting journey only 2hrs to go 🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾

• gjaholy33
    Options
    Forgot about the other good news that happen yesterday 0s0htvyawyme.jpg

• gjaholy33
    Options
    SalluR wrote: »
    Daily post Friday
    Exercise: did two hours of groceries shopping

Daily post Saturday
    Exercise: walked for 60 mins

Wow 2hours😲😲😲 that was a major workout all that walking, reaching, bending, lifting, let's not forget carrying the bags too and fo. 💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾
This discussion has been closed.