Options
    gjaholy33 wrote: »
    Daily Post

Thursday 10/21

Track yes
    Calories yes under
    Exercise yes 60mins of Interval workout
    Water 110oz

Goals/Comments: so still feeling horrible but forced myself to get up and make my smoothie and workout.

OAN: My Aide passed me off by refusing to clean my bathroom so I decided that she could go home. Had a conversation with the agency and told them was thinking about terminating their services all together. Then got in my head with thinking about situation(Side bar so as not bump heads I have been trying to do more and more by myself). Since moving to Charlotte the work ethics down here sucks. So instead on going through my 12th or 13th Aide in over a year I've decided going it alone. If need be I'll ask for help.

Friday

Track kinda (Intermittent fasting)
    Calories zero
    Exercise yes 30 minutes of Interval workout and 20 minutes of Walking
    Water 120oz

Goals/Comments: Woke up feeling so much better 😌. I had my 1st doctor appointment over the phone at 8am yearly follow up with cardiologist. She was super impressed with my results of 64lbs since she saw me last and my resting HR went from 121 to 73 (a huge accomplishment 👏🏾) Explained to her about my concerns of the high cholesterol and she said my body needs time to catch up.

My 2nd appointment not so good. Although this new GI doctor is impressed with my new lifestyle turns out I have 2 hernias. 1 hiatal hernia and one ventral hernia. WOW! He also want to start a bland diet (THAT'S NOT HAPPENING) but I will start back on pantaprozole 2x day.

Lastly it got too late to eat (like to eat my last meal before 7pm) so decided to extend my fast to 1140am Saturday so that means I'm on a 40 hour Intermittent fasting journey only 2hrs to go 🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾

Wooo !!! 40 hours IF is unbelievable. You have lots of patience to reach 40 hours. If I were in your place I would fall down and after I recover from hunger I would eat till my tummy is full 😉 ..Lol
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    DebJB30 wrote: »
    chublet25 wrote: »
    Plateaus.....

I am wondering about your experiences with plateaus....have you had one/some, and how long did it/they last and how did you overcome it/them? I have read that you could try eating more for a bit (slippery slope for me) or changing your exercise routine. Did those work for anybody? How did you keep from throwing in the towel like I always did?

Pat

I wrote you a long response to this (because the whole subject of plateaus is really interesting to me). Then I lost the whole thing... So here's a shorter version... I'm kind of a geek and I like reading about the science of weight loss. Too bad knowing how it works doesn't automatically translate into making it work for yourself ;) I have been on the up and down yoyo experience, too.

The one thing I wanted to share is something that I recently learned about the way the body will work to maintain equillibrium after a certain amount of weight loss. It will become more efficient in movement and studies have shown that people unconsciously reduce steps, and other movement. NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis includes unconscious movements such as tapping toes, fidgeting, moving hands while talking, etc). All these unconscious movements add up to a calorie burn that can range from 250-500 a day or even higher for some individuals. When the body is trying to restore equilibrium and wants to conserve energy, it reduces these movements. This can contribute to a plateau in some cases and give people the sense that their metobolism is slowing down, when it is really just the body trying to compensate for the weight loss.

I found this to be fascinating. To compensate for this, increasing voluntary activity with more exercise and steps is one way, and I've also read that it's helpful to "trick" the body out of this by temporarily increasing calorie intake, as you mentioned. I know you mentioned that being a slippery slope, but I think this is still a controlled amount of calories, just a slightly higher amount, and you still track it. For me, I get in trouble when I don't track.

Personally, my problem has been my willingess to give myself "breaks" after losing 10 or 15 lbs, and then the breaks have no end. Nothing wrong with short breaks, but this time I'm committed to keep tracking everything I eat, and keep weighing myself, and staying active, for the long haul.

Ok.. So, not that much shorter after all....

That actually makes perfect sense, that your body adapts. I mean, we are wired to survive periods of not having enough food. Having unlimited food is relatively new in the time frame of human existence, after all. Thank you for this. Fascinating.

I am getting sick and tired of restricting my calories and being hungry. How on earth am I going to maintain my new weight if I can't eat more than 1400 calories a day for the rest of my life? Drink a lot more tea?
  • walk4today
    walk4today Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    walk4today
    October week 3
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    PW: 240.2
    CW: 242.8
    This was a rough week. Some family drama and stress-related eating over my calorie limit, birthday cake (not mine) and making poor snack choices. Back on track this weekend!
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options

That actually makes perfect sense, that your body adapts. I mean, we are wired to survive periods of not having enough food. Having unlimited food is relatively new in the time frame of human existence, after all. Thank you for this. Fascinating.

I am getting sick and tired of restricting my calories and being hungry. How on earth am I going to maintain my new weight if I can't eat more than 1400 calories a day for the rest of my life? Drink a lot more tea?

We are absolutely designed for this and it's absolutely true that the way we're used to eating and having food available the way we do is definitely a new concept and it's sort of telling too if you look at it historically. I watched a documentary once that highlighted the way food was marketed to us and I might have watched it with my mouth hanging open. We're really set up to fail.

Also the idea of limiting calories to lose weight isn't always the best approach either, more research is coming out lately that suggest intermittent fasting is much better for long term weight loss and overall health. Also, it doesn't have as much of a calorie restrictive focus and one of the things that I have found works best for me.

Counting calories can be a useful tool, especially since we've lost sight of what is a normal portion size. I do believe it has it's place but I don't believe that calorie counting is king and is the only or even the best way sometimes. Thoughts to keep in mind.

Also if you're hungry all the time, try intermittent fasting, or even an extended fast of 36-48 hours (trust me when I say this, it can help you). The reason we become hungry is hormone related. Leptin and Ghrelin are the hunger hormones and they can be trained and resetting them with an extended fast can be completely helpful.
  • AB0215
    Options
    walk4today wrote: »
    walk4today
    October week 3
    Weigh in day: Saturday
    PW: 240.2
    CW: 242.8
    This was a rough week. Some family drama and stress-related eating over my calorie limit, birthday cake (not mine) and making poor snack choices. Back on track this weekend!

@walk4today Hang in there. We're human and sometimes things gets to us, the trick is to not let a bad day or even a bad week set us up to fail for the future. Dust yourself off and look ahead to what you can change!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post Friday

Track: I started out so good, then somewhere along the line gave up
    Calories: Yeah, nope.
    Exercise: yes, 1 mile walk

Comments: So today was good and bad. I had planned on eating some extra and doing some active rest since Saturday is a Max Squat day and I'm trying to push harder so I'm preparing for that, but it's also disappointing on the scale when you intentionally refeed for that specific purpose.
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »

We are absolutely designed for this and it's absolutely true that the way we're used to eating and having food available the way we do is definitely a new concept and it's sort of telling too if you look at it historically. I watched a documentary once that highlighted the way food was marketed to us and I might have watched it with my mouth hanging open. We're really set up to fail.

Also the idea of limiting calories to lose weight isn't always the best approach either, more research is coming out lately that suggest intermittent fasting is much better for long term weight loss and overall health. Also, it doesn't have as much of a calorie restrictive focus and one of the things that I have found works best for me.

Counting calories can be a useful tool, especially since we've lost sight of what is a normal portion size. I do believe it has it's place but I don't believe that calorie counting is king and is the only or even the best way sometimes. Thoughts to keep in mind.

Also if you're hungry all the time, try intermittent fasting, or even an extended fast of 36-48 hours (trust me when I say this, it can help you). The reason we become hungry is hormone related. Leptin and Ghrelin are the hunger hormones and they can be trained and resetting them with an extended fast can be completely helpful.

I haven't been hungry until just lately. Which seems weird, and sort of backwards. Now that I need less calories I feel as though I need more? I am going to give IF a try. I will put off breakfast as long as I can and limit my food to a 6-h period, see if that helps. Maybe I'll work my way up to a longer fast, but I'll try this for a week first. Thanks for the suggestion. Restricting calories, cutting out all added sugar and salt (and making sure I spend those calories on vegetables and some fruit) has worked really well for me to date. But now it seems like it's falling apart on me and it's time for a change! Here's hoping it's the change I need!

Pat
  • tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Tdrjustus3
    Week 3
    PW: 246
    CW:244
  • walk4today
    walk4today Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Daily Post
    Saturday
    Track: yes
    Calories: yes, over
    Exercise: cleaning
  • FushiaKat
    FushiaKat Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Daily Post Saturday 10-23-2021

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes - Under
    Exercise: No

Goals/Day/Comments: Today was not much better in terms of pain. It took me 2 months to get over the second Covid shot I just hope it does not take the third shot that long.
  • southgirl94
    southgirl94 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    October Week 3 - Sat, 10/23

Calories: Under
    Exercise: 6,700 steps (~2.95 mi), including 50 min, 2.5 mi walk on greenway
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Daily Post (Saturday)

Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes
    Goals/Day/Comments: very active day and got all my errands done.
  • AB0215
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »

I haven't been hungry until just lately. Which seems weird, and sort of backwards. Now that I need less calories I feel as though I need more? I am going to give IF a try. I will put off breakfast as long as I can and limit my food to a 6-h period, see if that helps. Maybe I'll work my way up to a longer fast, but I'll try this for a week first. Thanks for the suggestion. Restricting calories, cutting out all added sugar and salt (and making sure I spend those calories on vegetables and some fruit) has worked really well for me to date. But now it seems like it's falling apart on me and it's time for a change! Here's hoping it's the change I need!

Pat

@chublet25 Some key things in that are you've cut out sugar---sugar is one of the things that makes you feel hungrier when you aren't. As you adapt to not eating it, you're less likely to have cravings. Also, remember IF isn't a one size fits all and you can start shaving off hours, like put off breakfast for an hour and add more and more time to that until you get to your 6 hour goal window. It's awesome that you're experimenting! Great job sticking with it and adapting as your needs chnage!
  • AB0215
    Options
  • Bemybestby60
    Bemybestby60 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Daily Post Saturday
    Track yes
    Calories yes and over
    Exercise no
    I just feel blah, overworked and under appreciated. Just feeling 😞 sorry for myself. I will give myself a day off and put my big girl panties back on. Just a vent.
  • WMEJA
    WMEJA Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    WMJA
    Weigh in Sunday
    CW: 209.5
    CW 209.5
  • Robandy12345
    Robandy12345 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Robandy12345
    PW 211.3
    CW 210
    Loss of 1.3

I ran one day and didn’t document my food. My covid job had me frustrated I didn’t even make it to basketball this week. Ate all the unhealthy food in the house. Starting this week with a new sense of urgency. Look for a nice improvement from me next week! Peace to all.
  • DebJB30
    DebJB30 Posts: 221 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    [/quote]

Pat[/quote]

I find IF really helpful at limiting calories, especially in the evening. I ususally do a 10:00 am to 8:00 pm window or the 12 - 8, but I find it hard to get all my calories in when I shorten the window. I'm always hungry the first couple of nights, but once I get into it, the hunger goes away. Drink lots of water, tea, or your favorite zero calorie beverage. It really helps in mangaging hunger.
  • DebJB30
    DebJB30 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Daily Posts:

Friday

Exercise: Yes, 5,400 Steps

Saturday

Exercise: Yes, 5,000 Steps