This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Jean, it’s so good to hear from you! I’m sos Rory the new medication didn’t work and that you have to undergo further testing and procedures. It seems that after a certain age, the medical stuff begins to take more and more of our time and energy.

I’m struggling with back pain that started yesterday. I’ve had lower back pain for years but had gotten into a good core strengthening exercise program that helped a lot. Mostly it consisted of hip bridges, crunches, and 2 minutes of planks. Since breaking my arm I haven’t been able to do the planks at all, and haven’t been consistent with the other exercises. It finally caught up with me yesterday. It always seems to happen at a very inconvenient time and this is no exception since we are having guests over Sunday night. Luckily, I have most of it under control as I have already made my dessert (home made ice cream sandwiches) and it’s in the freezer and I’ve mostly got the house cleaned (still need to dust and DH will vacuum). Everyone is bringing something to contribute to the meal, so the last minute rush should be pretty manageable. We are planning to grill hamburgers, but the weather forecast is for heavy rain Sunday evening so we may have to grill them Saturday and reheat in the oven. Not ideal, but better than trying to grill in the rain.

Well, drat! One things leads to another and none of it good! Here's hoping you can start to feel better soon and enjoy your company.
  • mdubbs1
    edited April 2022
    I got my second booster this morning. They made no fuss over me wanting Moderna instead of Pfizer. And the pharmacists have now apparently ceded injections to the clerks. No biggie; just interesting to me.

A little annoying that they now have the option to fill out the paperwork online BUT they don't send it to the pharmacy so you have to do it again in person.

Now I wait to see if I get any side effects.

Weird to have my vaccination card filled up. Wonder if it ever occurred to them when they originally (and I'm sure quickly) designed those cards that we'd fill them up in under 2 years. They always comment on how pristine my card is compared to most of what they see. It's because I keep mine in a fire proof box and carry a copy.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    We ended up getting our second boosters today at CVS. I made the reservations online. I first searched for Moderna since that’s what our other shots were. The shots were given in CVS stores inside Targets. The closest one was 20+ miles. I decided to do the search again using Pfizer. Turns out I could get that today at the CVS on the island. That’s about a 3 mile drive. I’d seen reports on the news that it was okay to mix and match the vaccines. I verified it with the pharmacist too. So we’re all set. I wanted to get them before we start driving north in early May. So far we both feel good and have no reactions.

We went out to dinner with our neighbors at a restaurant called The Tipsy Turtle. We’d been talking about getting together since before the Pandemic. We ate on the patio and had a great time catching up. We had to put the umbrella down because it was breezy enough we thought the wind could send it sailing.
  • Helene610
    Jean, it’s great to read a post from you. That stinks that the procedure didn’t help. I hope the tests help figure things out and that you can get a treatment that works.
    Pam, sorry to hear your back is acting up. Is your arm healed enough to go back to the exercises that strengthen your core. Are you still doing PT?
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited April 2022
    Helene, I still can’t do planks because my arm isn’t strong enough and I can’t fully straighten it yet. I can do the other exercises, but I really feel that the planks were the main ones that helped my back. Something to work toward, I suppose.
  • mdubbs1
    Some experts seem to recommend mixing; others don't say don't do it so I decided to go with Moderna So far, so good It's been over 24 hours and no side effects so far.
  • PamS53
    edited April 2022
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    Some experts seem to recommend mixing; others don't say don't do it so I decided to go with Moderna So far, so good It's been over 24 hours and no side effects so far.

Yay for no side effects! I thought I was home free after my booster when I passed the 24 hour mark, but at 25 hours it hit me like a tractor trailer ran over me. Hopefully your luck will hold.

I woke up during the night needing to go to the bathroom and noted that my back was no longer hurting. It was still painful when I went to bed, but has been fine since waking up to use the bathroom. I’ve been moving chairs around, putting a leaf in my dining table, moving the table, and still no pain. I can’t explain it, but I’m very grateful to be pain-free again.
  • Helene610
    I’m 48 hours past booster and neither DH nor I have had any adverse reactions. I don’t even have a sore arm. We still have to get our Tacoma in for an oil change and service before we start the drive home. We’ll be leaving within 2 weeks. Looking forward to stopping to visit my brother and sister in SC.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 wrote: »

Yay for no side effects! I thought I was home free after my booster when I passed the 24 hour mark, but at 25 hours it hit me like a tractor trailer ran over me. Hopefully your luck will hold.

I woke up during the night needing to go to the bathroom and noted that my back was no longer hurting. It was still painful when I went to bed, but has been fine since waking up to use the bathroom. I’ve been moving chairs around, putting a leaf in my dining table, moving the table, and still no pain. I can’t explain it, but I’m very grateful to be pain-free again.

I'm sure that's a mixed blessing. YEAH no pain. BUT I don't know why so couldn't replicate!!
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I’m 48 hours past booster and neither DH nor I have had any adverse reactions. I don’t even have a sore arm. We still have to get our Tacoma in for an oil change and service before we start the drive home. We’ll be leaving within 2 weeks. Looking forward to stopping to visit my brother and sister in SC.

No side effects? Great!!
  • mdubbs1
    I ate a little more than I should have this weekend. Definitely got to get back on plan today!!!! Sometimes I really miss eating whatever I want but I still like living so I won't go too far off the deep end.

I saw the This Is Us episode last evening that was Kate's (second) wedding. I keeping reading she's lost weight and had a clause in her contract requiring it, etc. but BOY was she big in that episode.
  • PamS53
    We hosted a party last night to have one more visit with our friends who will be leaving early next month for 6 months in their vacation home in Michigan. Everyone brought something to contribute, so that really helped minimize the workload for us. We grilled some burgers and I had already made dessert, which consisted of homemade chocolate chip and snickerdoodle cookies. I made ice cream sandwiches with store bought vanilla ice cream for the CCC, and homemade cinnamon ice cream for the snickerdoodles. The ice cream sandwiches were a big hit, which was nice since they really were easy to make and allowed me to do that well ahead of time. One of the couples who had planned to attend dropped out at the last minute due to concern about the weather. Rain had been predicted, but didn’t actually start until later. We missed them, but had a good time anyway.

I definitely ate too much, too. I’m trying to get back on track, but have a lot of leftovers to contend with.

I’m going to get my Covid booster on my way home from my PT session on Thursday. That will give me the weekend to recover, if I have side effects. I’ve had Moderna for all of my shots, so I think I will ask for the Pfizer booster this time.

And then I will turn my thoughts and energy to getting ready for our trip to the beach. We leave in a little less than 2 weeks for Fort Walton Beach, FL.
  • Helene610
    Just got back from a gathering at our HOA pool. About half the properties have new owners so we’re making more of an effort to form a neighborhood feeling. We’ve started doing Tiki Tuesdays. We bring a drink and gather to socialize. Tonight was the last one until next winter since most of us are seasonable and heading for home soon. We had nine people show and enjoyed about 90 minutes of socializing. We have a really nice group of neighbors now.
  • mdubbs1
    Sounds like you guys had some nice social outings. Hopefully the world will continue to make it possible to do that.

DH actually spent the time this morning to find out whether - and when - Kamala Harris had her second booster. I keep reminding him that the vaccinations aren't to prevent you from getting symptomless COVID - or even mild symptom COVID - but he's worked himself into something of a paranoia about the whole COVID situation.
  • PamS53
    Busy morning! I voted in a primary runoff election, then got my Covid booster shot, and followed up with an hour of PT. I’m hoping that the hour of exercise for my arm will reduce the soreness I get from the shot.

Now I’m home, doing laundry. The fun never ends around here, lol!
  • Helene610
    Maryanne, has your husband gotten all his vases? He sounds worried about whether they work. Kamela was fully faxed and boosted and had no symptoms. She was tested before meeting with Biden and that’s how they found it. She’s isolating and working from home.
  • mdubbs1
    edited April 2022
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Maryanne, has your husband gotten all his vases? He sounds worried about whether they work. Kamela was fully faxed and boosted and had no symptoms. She was tested before meeting with Biden and that’s how they found it. She’s isolating and working from home.

He's had 3 shots so far. I think he's dithering at this point, vacillating between going ahead with the second booster or waiting to see if a new vaccine comes along. I keep pointing out that probably lots of vaccinated people would test positive if everyone was testing routinely/regularly. The point of the vaccine isn't to keep you from testing positive, but to keep you from landing in the hospital or dying, which it's doing remarkably well.
  • mdubbs1
    Busy morning! I voted in a primary runoff election, then got my Covid booster shot, and followed up with an hour of PT. I’m hoping that the hour of exercise for my arm will reduce the soreness I get from the shot.

Now I’m home, doing laundry. The fun never ends around here, lol!

We should soon have our primary voting for governor Apparently I'm to tell DH who to vote for (huh????) so I'm checking out the web sites and the polls.

I know what you mean about the fun never ending. Some days I go to a grocery store I haven't been to in awhile to break up the week. LOL!
  • mdubbs1
    Snarky comment from a message board:

She put on 200 pounds in 2 years! That, my friends, is dedication.
  • Helene610
    Tell DH there’s a new Covid pill. After positive testing, pill needs to be taken within 5 days of onset. It’s another measure to make sure people don’t get as sick or end up in the hospital. Dr on the news said he prescribed it for one of his patients. She reported feeling markedly better the next day. I don’t remember the name of the pill but he can Google it. In the meantime, he should get the second booster. I haven’t heard of any new vaccines in the works.