This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    edited January 2022
    I can't believe how long it has been since I posted. Time can pass quickly.

Congrats to all who have lost weight. Pam, I wouldn't recommend an accident either to motivate the loss but do take advantage of the positive aspect of the accident.

I had my appointment with the cardiologist. He basically wanted to see how I was doing since I have to wait for a hospital room to start the new med. I'm still waiting. Our state is being overwhelmed with Covid so I don't see a room becoming available soon. The hospital also is getting patients from other hospitals who have run out of beds. The National Guard is in over 20 hospitals and will be in the one to which I would be admitted if ever.

It was black ice time this morning, so I had to cancel my orthopedic appointment in the city. The next available appointment with that doctor is March 3. Hopefully, I can get that heart med started by then. It is one that can cause quick negative effects so hospitalization is required for it to be started.

I did get my Moderna booster shot on Saturday. It wiped me out so that I slept most of Sunday.

I have a car appointment next Monday, so I hope the roads will be ok by then.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I weighed my myself today for the first time since my sister’s death. I had gained about 5 pounds during the last couple months of her illness. As of today, I’ve lost two of those pounds. I’ve had up and down days with all the stress but I’m trying to restart in the right direction.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I’m also down another pound as of this morning. Since breaking my arm in the accident, I have lost 6 pounds and am keeping them off, so I’m pleased with that. I guess it gave me a good jumpstart, although I wouldn’t recommend this method, lol!

Today I have an appointment for teeth cleaning and checkup. That’s about all the excitement I have planned for, but who knows what else the day may bring?

No, broken arms are not recommended for anything. At all!

Congrats on the pound. YEAH!!!!!
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I weighed my myself today for the first time since my sister’s death. I had gained about 5 pounds during the last couple months of her illness. As of today, I’ve lost two of those pounds. I’ve had up and down days with all the stress but I’m trying to restart in the right direction.

It's been an awful couple years. It's a wonder we haven't all gained a ton Good job on the 2 pounds!!!
  • mdubbs1
    Jean that's terrible that people who need it can't get hospital beds.

There is no way the pandemic would ever have been pleasant but it could have been so much easier if so many of our fellow countrymen weren't morons. Two years ago I remember thinking "oh, we'll become a nation of mask wearers like countries in the far east". Shouldn't the fact that tens of thousands fewer people died because of the flu last winter while we were masked have been enough all by itself to encourage mask wearing? Yeah, I was giving my countrymen WAY too much credit. Then the vaccines came and everyone I know is struggling for an appointment and, again, my fellow countrymen shocked (and disappointed) me. You'd think I couldn't be shocked any more but I bet I can be.

Actually I was shocked again recently. There was an article in the news about Maryland hospitals - how many beds they have and how many were occupied. Forget occupancy. I was shocked by the first of those numbers. Given the tax advantages hospitals get, and the HUGE salaries their leaders get, if you'd asked me to guesstimate the number of beds I'd have added a zero to the end of all the numbers I read. I still can't get over how few beds these hospitals actually have. I always felt their executive compensation was ridiculously high (I mean, heck, I could run a hospital) but now that feeling is increased by a factor of 10 or so also.
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--There are some Covid breakthrough cases in the hospital. They are individuals who had pre-existing illnesses whose Covid was lessened by the vaccine. They are not on ventilators. The vast number of Covid patients are those who chose not to be vaccinated. My favorite excuse of theirs is that vaccination violates their rights. They don't realize their decision not to vaccinate may violate the rights of others to a healthy life if they become a carrier. It is ok to vaccinate a kid for school required vaccinations but not to take a Covid vaccine to protect themselves and the rights of others. Gr-r-r-r! I never thought I would see the National Guard with special training being called in to help hospital staff. I remember a hospital closing because of low patient load. How times change!
  • Helene610
    I saw a news story about a nurse working in an OK hospital. They are completely full and many are Covid patients, most untaxed. Meanwhile, her 61 yr old dad is on a ventilator in a different hospital. They didn’t say if he was vexed bit I’m guessing he’s not. Meanwhile, his daughter is working 12 hour shifts and can’t visit him. So many sad stories, many of their own making.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--You are correct; there are many sad stories, most of their own making. I really don't see a bed becoming available for me soon. I've waited a month so far. There are those in more serious condition than me.
  • KonaKat
    Another day of snow and cold. I don't know which I am more tired of--:winter or Covid news. At least, comfort food isn't calling.
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Another day of snow and cold. I don't know which I am more tired of--:winter or Covid news. At least, comfort food isn't calling.

I'm tired of both! At least we know the snow/cold has an end date. But that's about all I can say. We got a little snow/ice over night. Right now it's sunny and very cold (cold for here anyway). I'm doing chores. I wish I could give in to comfort food but I know I can't.
  • mdubbs1
    DH has been bugging me to make chili. He even printed some recipes off the internet. I told him there's no way he'd eat anything made from those recipes (which had heavy doses of chili power, jalapenos, etc.). Where we come from "chili" is more "tomato/hamburg/kidney bean stew". There's nothing spicy in it. Anyway, this morning I made a huge pot and he's anxiously awaiting dinner time. I guess I should be happy he's content with something so easy to make. I even found a little room in one of the freezers to freeze some.
  • mdubbs1
    I saw a news story about a nurse working in an OK hospital. They are completely full and many are Covid patients, most untaxed. Meanwhile, her 61 yr old dad is on a ventilator in a different hospital. They didn’t say if he was vexed bit I’m guessing he’s not. Meanwhile, his daughter is working 12 hour shifts and can’t visit him. So many sad stories, many of their own making.

What I don't know is why I continue to be so taken aback by the idiocy. You'd think I'd have reached some level of acceptance or something. But I have not.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    We will have a nice warm weekend here, but possible snow and sleet is predicted for Wednesday through the end of the week. Some of the predictions are reminiscent of last year’s bad ice storm where we were without power for 3 1/2 days. Supposedly our electric grid has been fixed, but I’m glad DH took some proactive steps since then so that if we do lose power we have some options to keep some heat, lights, and power for the refrigerator and freezer.

This morning I made a dessert for DH to take to a church function tonight. I’m slowly, carefully, getting back in the kitchen and doing fairly well. He had to help me a little with this dessert, but I did almost all of it on my own. And last night I made shrimp quesadillas, which is one of our favorite meals, entirely on my own. It feels good to be able to cook and bake again!
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    We will have a nice warm weekend here, but possible snow and sleet is predicted for Wednesday through the end of the week. Some of the predictions are reminiscent of last year’s bad ice storm where we were without power for 3 1/2 days. Supposedly our electric grid has been fixed, but I’m glad DH took some proactive steps since then so that if we do lose power we have some options to keep some heat, lights, and power for the refrigerator and freezer.

This morning I made a dessert for DH to take to a church function tonight. I’m slowly, carefully, getting back in the kitchen and doing fairly well. He had to help me a little with this dessert, but I did almost all of it on my own. And last night I made shrimp quesadillas, which is one of our favorite meals, entirely on my own. It feels good to be able to cook and bake again!

That's great that you're working your way back to what you enjoy! I really hope you don't get pummeled by the weather.
  • Helene610
    My town on the Cape got 20 inches of snow from yesterday’s blizzard. Meanwhile, it dropped to the 30s overnight and only reached the 50s during the day. We had news stories about iguanas getting cold stunned and falling out of trees. They’re a non-native nuisance and cause a lot of damage. They advised putting them in a bag and taking them to a vet to be euthanized. They can be a couple feet long and are pretty scary looking.
  • mdubbs1
    My town on the Cape got 20 inches of snow from yesterday’s blizzard. Meanwhile, it dropped to the 30s overnight and only reached the 50s during the day. We had news stories about iguanas getting cold stunned and falling out of trees. They’re a non-native nuisance and cause a lot of damage. They advised putting them in a bag and taking them to a vet to be euthanized. They can be a couple feet long and are pretty scary looking.

Wow! I guess you're glad you're not there right now.
  • mdubbs1
    I lost a pound and a half last week. Keeping my nose to the grindstone.

w5yspvw6jl8w.png
  • KonaKat
    Gr-r-r-r! I just accidentally deleted my post. This is the short version.

Pam--Glad that you are back to doing some recipes. I hope you don't lose electricity this weekend.

Helene--I imagine despite Florida being cold that you were happy to miss the big snow storm.

Maryanne--Congrats upon your weight loss.
  • mdubbs1
    Wondering if this might finally be the year I hit goal. A weight I haven't seen in aeons (and which is still
    set as "normal" BMI at a height I used to be. LOL!). I'm at least 1/2 an inch shorter now but refuse to change my goal unless/until I meet the old goal.

I know, talking to myself, "Dubbs, don't get ahead of yourself; it's only been a month". LOL!

mrw0jcnhlaiw.png
  • mdubbs1
    cv0b7yked260.png