This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    My niece is a director of nursing for a Neuro unit at a large hospital in Houston. She told us at Christmas that for non-Covid units, it’s basically a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy when anyone calls in sick. Many of her nurses don’t get tested for Covid because then they are required to report a positive test and take more time off work than if they just say they have a cold or the flu.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I would hope they are taking at home tests so they don’t bring Covid to work to share. They could say they have the flu and stay home without reporting the test while keeping others safe. But that probably makes too much sense. I upgraded us to the N95 masks after multiple news reports said we should do it. I have to say it’s easier to breath with the N 95. The design doesn’t sit quite as close to the mouth.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I would hope they are taking at home tests so they don’t bring Covid to work to share. They could say they have the flu and stay home without reporting the test while keeping others safe. But that probably makes too much sense. I upgraded us to the N95 masks after multiple news reports said we should do it. I have to say it’s easier to breath with the N 95. The design doesn’t sit quite as close to the mouth.

I guess it depends if you need to show a negative test to go back regardless of why you said you were out.

Interesting about the masks. DH is convinced I wouldn't be able to breathe in them. I'm doing okay with the KN95 masks I bought to try out his theory. They bother my eyes - probably should try a different batch.
  • mdubbs1
    edited January 2022
    PamS53 wrote: »
    My niece is a director of nursing for a Neuro unit at a large hospital in Houston. She told us at Christmas that for non-Covid units, it’s basically a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy when anyone calls in sick. Many of her nurses don’t get tested for Covid because then they are required to report a positive test and take more time off work than if they just say they have a cold or the flu.

Answers that question! (I'm reading in reverse order here. LOL!) I guess some places don't have a rule that you have to have a negative test to come back regardless of why you're out or say you're out.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    DH told me this morning about Omicron parties. People trying to get it. Have they not seen the exhausted, sometimes in tears, ICU personnel on TV? His answer is they aren't watching the news stations Probably right.

WTH??? These people are just plain crazy!

I’m mostly only going to medical appointments right now, but it still gets me out of the house. I have OT today and Friday, and I see my ortho doc Thursday morning.

I ordered a new compact and lightweight hairdryer from Amazon that should arrive today. While I was drying my hair Friday my old one died. I had had it for at least 20 years and mainly used it for travel, but it was perfect for me to use right now because it was so light that I could hold it with my weak right hand. My usual dryer is too heavy for me to hold right now. I’m hoping the new one will be similar in weight and function to the old one. I also used it at my SIL’s house because my other one blows the breakers in her house. It’s a nuisance to have to go outside to where her breaker box is located to throw the switches every few minutes until my hair is dry, lol!

What we go through for our hair!! I had to choose this week between DH's over caution (IMHO) and my hair appointment. Took some thought. Just kidding. LOL! But it was even harder to postpone that appointment than to restart food deliveries. I decided to postpone instead of cancel so hopefully the hairdresser knows I'm not abandoning her forever.
  • Helene610
    When I was wearing the pleated paper masks, they’d slide up over my eyes. I was constantly pulling it down so I could see where I was walking. That didn’t happen with the N 95 Mask. Plus the straps go around the head instead of behind the ears. They’re definitely more comfortable to wear and I can breathe better. I bought Honeywell from Amazon.
  • PamS53
    I ordered some new masks yesterday. Boy are they expensive! I’m hoping they will be more comfortable than the pleated ones we’ve been using. I have to continually adjust them because they creep up under my eyes, too. I tried double masking with them but that was just too uncomfortable for me.
  • Helene610
    I need a mani/pedi but I keep putting off making an appointment. I need to do it before the nails start breaking. Part of it is I shared with Amy what I was going through with my sister. She went through the same thing with her mom being terminally ill. It got emotional. I’m getting by by keeping busy but I’m sure she’ll ask about my sister and I’ll have to tell her she’s gone. I can only put off the manicure so long but maybe I don’t need to do it this week.
  • mdubbs1
    I ordered some N95 masks to see how I do.

It was fairly warm here today but we may get snow this weekend. Yuk!

Read a hilarious piece in the Washington Post this morning about the 24+ hour traffic jam on the Beltway. Basically saying "you know we can't handle snow here; why the heck did you get on the Capital Beltway in a snowstorm? Just stay home!" We really can't handle snow here. I went to Sun Valley once and was amazed at the snow moving equipment.
  • PamS53
    I had my 6 week follow up with my ortho doc today. He’s pleased with how my arm is healing, but still does not want me to start any weight or resistance training. I’m also not allowed to drive yet. My next appointment is in 6 weeks which would put me at 2 and a half months post surgery. My OT people will not be pleased as they are really eager to start resistance training since I’ve basically met all of their range of motion and flexibility goals.

We definitely don’t handle snow or ice on the roads well here, either. The folks who move here from northern areas are always amused and/or frustrated by this. Basically, since ice and snowstorms are relatively rare occurrences, the cities and state don’t invest in the type of equipment needed to manage such events. Most of us just stay home if possible, after we go to the grocery store and clean them out for all kinds of supplies that might be needed.
  • mdubbs1
    I had my 6 week follow up with my ortho doc today. He’s pleased with how my arm is healing, but still does not want me to start any weight or resistance training. I’m also not allowed to drive yet. My next appointment is in 6 weeks which would put me at 2 and a half months post surgery. My OT people will not be pleased as they are really eager to start resistance training since I’ve basically met all of their range of motion and flexibility goals.

We definitely don’t handle snow or ice on the roads well here, either. The folks who move here from northern areas are always amused and/or frustrated by this. Basically, since ice and snowstorms are relatively rare occurrences, the cities and state don’t invest in the type of equipment needed to manage such events. Most of us just stay home if possible, after we go to the grocery store and clean them out for all kinds of supplies that might be needed.

Hopefully your doc will get you where you need to go. The therapists will adjust. I know mine did. It's nice they care enough to be frustrated!

We get the cleaning out of the stores too. I've learned that even if my regular grocery run falls in the "storm madness" time frame, I need to readjust.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Like most in the East coast area, I am facing another winter storm. This is a time that most are raiding the stores for needed items. I have no plans to do that as I am enjoying the comfort of the house.

My accomplishment for today is renewing my car registration online and trying to walk more but in the house. Somewhere I have a Leslie Sansone DVD, but I will do without it. I have a cardiology appointment on Wednesday in the city via our nasty serpentine roads in another county. Hopefully, the weather will permit the appointment. I am a chicken when it comes to treacherous road conditions.
  • mdubbs1
    1j40ofb4wjbl.png
  • Helene610
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Like most in the East coast area, I am facing another winter storm. This is a time that most are raiding the stores for needed items. I have no plans to do that as I am enjoying the comfort of the house.

My accomplishment for today is renewing my car registration online and trying to walk more but in the house. Somewhere I have a Leslie Sansone DVD, but I will do without it. I have a cardiology appointment on Wednesday in the city via our nasty serpentine roads in another county. Hopefully, the weather will permit the appointment. I am a chicken when it comes to treacherous road conditions.
    you can find Leslie’s walking routines on U Tube. Just do a name search for her.

• mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »

I'm a chicken on treacherous roads, too, and I'm sure ours aren't nearly as bad as yours (unless I drive "up home" which I haven't done since before the pandemic).

But I'm hoping you can make your doctor's appointment.

I have a good friend who moved to the Carolinas (I can never remember which one) because of the weather. I can't help chuckle at how hard these last couple storms have hit them compared to us.

• PamS53
    It’s very cold and windy here today. I made a pot of stew in the crockpot and I just put a loaf of beer cheese bread in the oven to bake. This is the first time I’ve tried to do anything more complicated than a sandwich since my injury, so it feels good to get back to cooking, even such a simple meal. DH did brown the stew meat for me last week when he made a different dish. He saved half the meat and froze it for me to use for this meal. I was able to peel and dice the potatoes and cut up the onion without help, so that’s big progress for me. Stirring the bread batter was a little difficult, but I got it done.

I’m a complete chicken about driving on icy roads. I’ve had to do it a few times when a storm struck while I was at work and I had to drive home afterward. My 20 minute drive turned into a 2 + hour, white knuckled ordeal. No w that I’m retired, I just stay home. Besides not knowing how to drive on ice (does anyone?), I know that most if not all of the other drivers don’t know what they are doing either. And they are all driving too fast!

If any of you saw the news reports today about a hostage situation in Colleyville, TX, that’s the next suburb over from us. The location of the incident is less than 5 miles from us.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - that's great that your physical ability to cook is improving!!

We got about an inch of snow with ice. Much of the storm again hit south and north of us. I'll take being in the bubble any time!
  • Helene610
    We woke up yesterday to a phone alert tornado warning. We got up (7am) Sunday and turned on the TV for details. We had heavy rains but no tornadoes on the island. Some touched down on the mainland about 15 miles from home. Several mobile home parks were hard hit. 27 homes were destroyed and 60+ homes were badly damaged. Miraculously, nobody died. Looking at the damage to those homes, it’s a miracle that everyone survived.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    We woke up yesterday to a phone alert tornado warning. We got up (7am) Sunday and turned on the TV for details. We had heavy rains but no tornadoes on the island. Some touched down on the mainland about 15 miles from home. Several mobile home parks were hard hit. 27 homes were destroyed and 60+ homes were badly damaged. Miraculously, nobody died. Looking at the damage to those homes, it’s a miracle that everyone survived.

I'm glad you didn't get a tornado. The weather has just gotten so unpredictable. Climate change in action.

We're supposed to get two more storms this week.
  • mdubbs1
    I'm going to go to the drive through at CROM's bank today. It's not convenient but we've now had a deposit go missing in the mail so I think I need to A bummer, though, for sure. This evening I think I'll go to the grocery store and pick up a prescription. DH wanted to know why I wasn't going this afternoon. I gave him the side eye because he's the one who said he didn't want me at the grocery store. While I'm there I'll look for a couple things I haven't been able to get online. I figure late in the evening, going through self checkout, shouldn't be too dangerous.