This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Dog sitting going well. My friend is supposed to be picking Maggie up tonight. I didn’t think to ask him when his flight gets in. If he has any flight delays, maybe she’ll be here another night.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Dog sitting going well. My friend is supposed to be picking Maggie up tonight. I didn’t think to ask him when his flight gets in. If he has any flight delays, maybe she’ll be here another night.

One year I found a little dog eating the seed I put out for the birds. I called her Merry (for Merry Christmas). I brought it inside, went and bought a collar and leash and looked for a vet (my vet only does cats). The vet looked down his nose at me and said "ma'am, this is a pure bred dog, I hope you're not planning to keep it". To which I replied "if I keep it I'll be divorced, you want her?" One night I got home from law school and DH told me people had come looking for their dog (I guess I must have put up signs; this was long before the internet was ubiquitous). They had a sign in their hands that they'd posted, having carefully ripped off "reward" before they came to our house. I was sort of sad but between work and law school and DH no way I could have had a dog although at the time our yard was still completely fenced so letting her out wasn't a problem.
  • Helene610
    I’m a little surprised we never had a dog. DH loves dogs and if he ever asked about getting one, we would have gone right out and gotten a rescue. Cats fit more into our lifestyle though.
  • mdubbs1
    edited February 2022
    DH says this is "our last warm day". It has been rather unseasonably warm the last few days but if I just put climate change out of my mind, I won't complain.

I have a million work projects about to descend and not one I can start on today so I guess I'll move on to my weekend "to do" list.

I learned something new this morning. Apparently our neighbor (who doesn't really live in his house; he mostly live in his wife's house) has a septic tank. Apparently DH knew this. Apparently it's legal (thank you google). Color me surprised. I found this out upon returning from feeding and finding the street blocked. So NOT legal.

I really enjoyed Nathan Chen's gold medal performance. Unlike the boring music most of them are skating to these days, he skated to Elton John and threw a little hip hop dancing in toward the end.

I use a LOT of dry cat food in feeding and it rides around in my van. If there really is a possibility we'll be doing a cat show in mid March, I need to get it mostly used up as it can't be stored in our storage unit (unless I hide it in a rubbermaid tote or something). So I've got to mentally switch from "gotta keep that food supply up" to "gotta use that food supply up".

• mdubbs1
    If you haven't seen the Chevy Silverado commercial that's playing during the Olympics it's a hoot and a half:

https://youtu.be/a3ta5Q3ITUc
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    I loved Nathan Chen’s performance, too! I was so happy that he had such a good performance. I’m following the controversy over the Russian skater who apparently tested positive for a banned substance before the Olympics. It could mean gold instead of silver medals for the US team skate event. It seems like it’s taking them a long time to sort it out and make a decision.
  • mdubbs1
    edited February 2022
    fqurjby71nd9.png
  • mdubbs1
    edited February 2022
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I loved Nathan Chen’s performance, too! I was so happy that he had such a good performance. I’m following the controversy over the Russian skater who apparently tested positive for a banned substance before the Olympics. It could mean gold instead of silver medals for the US team skate event. It seems like it’s taking them a long time to sort it out and make a decision.

And apparently some of the skaters will likely be gone by the time they finally have a medal ceremony. That's a shame.

I have a lot of stray thoughts watching. Like why athletes don't seem to know to get out on top? Or why a 19-year old can't drink but can denounce her American citizenship (I realize we don't know for sure she did)?

• PamS53
    I think some athletes are in denial of when it’s time to leave their sport because they feel as long as they can compete at the highest levels, then they have a chance of bettering their own records. To even reach the level of Olympic athlete they must be extremely competitive and dedicated to their sport, so they just don’t know when they have reached their own personal peak performance. I suppose if they can qualify for their team or sport, then they have a shot.

It’s cold and windy here today, so a good day to stay in. Yesterday was lovely — temps in the high 70’s with no wind. I had to have blood drawn for my visit next week with my endocrinologist who orders my Prolia injections, so afterward DH and I went to a restaurant we like and had tacos and queso and chips at an outdoor table. It made a nice break in the day for us. We knew we didn’t want to try to go out to eat tonight as so many people will be celebrating Valentines Day and the restaurants will be crowded.
  • mdubbs1
    t3mq3dyvedwf.png
  • mdubbs1
    I fed the colonies this morning and went to the storage unit. I came upon a stalled city bus The car ahead of me drove around it, then just went blithely through the red light. I immediately thought of Pam and was just glad that in this instance an idiot driver didn't hurt anyone.

We're to get rain turning to snow today so I put out loads of food.

Sitting here and grumbling about food deliveries DH and I have agreed that by March 1 I'll go back to the hairdresser, grocery stores, etc. Our state is looking pretty good and I don't really think that will be all that dangerous. I intend to take a day or two off work and hit up a variety of grocery stores to see what I can find on my "can't seem to find it most places" list.
  • Helene610
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    If you haven't seen the Chevy Silverado commercial that's playing during the Olympics it's a hoot and a half:

https://youtu.be/a3ta5Q3ITUc
    There are actually two Walter the cat commercials. The winter one is funniest but both are pretty good.
  • Helene610
    I hope they make a few more about Walter. They’re hilarious. I love him chasing the mailman.
  • PamS53
    This is the cherry pie I made for our Valentine dinner tomorrow night. I suspect I won’t be able to hold DH off until then, but who cares, lol!

42f0t299d6it.jpeg
  • mdubbs1
    Pam, that looks fantastic!!!! My mouth is watering just looking at it.

I'll have my usual diet food today.
  • mdubbs1
    I lost a pound last week. Slow but steady hopefully. My next challenge will be controlling my birthday splurge. I've decided not to try to eliminate it altogether but to control it as I need to have the occasional period of food I love. I figure I'll put "packet days" before and after a couple days of eating some of the things I like (sticky buns, spaghetti).

h75uab2jfk3b.png
  • PamS53
    I’m trying really hard to hang onto the roughly 5 pound loss I had as a result of my hospitalization and surgery. I still occasionally indulge in a splurge of some sort, but try to compensate before and after with eating low cal until I’m back to my benchmark weight. Ultimately I’d like to lose at least 3 more pounds, which would put me in a new “decade” on the scale. That’s purely for psychological reasons as my PCP has said that he has no concerns about my weight even though all of the charts show me to be in the overweight category. The fact that I rarely drink and have never smoked weigh in my favor. My main risk factor is lack of exercise, which I really need to change but have little desire to do.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I’m trying really hard to hang onto the roughly 5 pound loss I had as a result of my hospitalization and surgery. I still occasionally indulge in a splurge of some sort, but try to compensate before and after with eating low cal until I’m back to my benchmark weight. Ultimately I’d like to lose at least 3 more pounds, which would put me in a new “decade” on the scale. That’s purely for psychological reasons as my PCP has said that he has no concerns about my weight even though all of the charts show me to be in the overweight category. The fact that I rarely drink and have never smoked weigh in my favor. My main risk factor is lack of exercise, which I really need to change but have little desire to do.

That's great that you're PCP is good with where you are with your weight!!

I've been focused on just getting back to where the cardiologist last saw me. But I'd love for this to finally be the year I go lower. Maybe, just maybe....... Heaven knows there's enough diet food in this house for a year.

What I haven't done is adjust by ticker, or my goal weight, to account for probably being at least 1/2 inch shorter. If I ever get down to this goal, I can either worry about that then or not!

I missed my treadmill session last evening because of the danged super bowl. DH actually made himself stay up. Otherwise I did good in that respect last week. Not quite up to where I want to be but better than I'd been for months. Plus I get a few extra steps just by feeding (almost) every day. As the weather warms up it occurs to me I should do a few extra steps at each stop and hopefully it will add up!

• mdubbs1
    2b10zlirccqe.png