This Year is Our Year for Success!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,648 Member
    I'm getting groceries this morning and spending the day working! Ho, hum! LOL!
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,936 Member
    I had my appointment this morning with my PCP for follow up on my BP medication change. He seemed pleased with how it is working so I will see him again in 6 months. Most of the appointment was spent discussing my accident and injuries that resulted from it.

Our weather is deteriorating. In the 90 minutes we were out of the house, ice began accumulating. More is expected throughout the day and night ahead. Luckily my doctor’s office is only 10 minutes from our home, so it wasn’t too difficult to get home. I plan to reschedule my appointment tomorrow with my ortho doc though. He is near downtown Dallas, and getting there on icy roads is not smart, IMO. DH is unwilling to try it and since I’m not allowed to drive yet, I don’t really have a choice, even if I was willing. I’ll ask about doing a televisit, but I doubt that will be acceptable since they like to x-ray my arm at each visit.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I had my appointment this morning with my PCP for follow up on my BP medication change. He seemed pleased with how it is working so I will see him again in 6 months. Most of the appointment was spent discussing my accident and injuries that resulted from it.

Our weather is deteriorating. In the 90 minutes we were out of the house, ice began accumulating. More is expected throughout the day and night ahead. Luckily my doctor’s office is only 10 minutes from our home, so it wasn’t too difficult to get home. I plan to reschedule my appointment tomorrow with my ortho doc though. He is near downtown Dallas, and getting there on icy roads is not smart, IMO. DH is unwilling to try it and since I’m not allowed to drive yet, I don’t really have a choice, even if I was willing. I’ll ask about doing a televisit, but I doubt that will be acceptable since they like to x-ray my arm at each visit.

YEAH about the doctor visit!

Wild that you have ice that far south and it's 66 degrees here today! With ice they'll probably have a lot of cancellations and maybe even be glad to head home.
  • mdubbs1
    There's a layer of ice over everything this morning but it's to get to 50 degrees or so by noon. Bizarre weather to say the least. Anyway feeding the colonies will be done a little later today which means dodging the idiots on "the car street". It's a street of little independent car businesses and apparently keeping the street open so customers can get to them has never occurred to them as a good idea.
  • mdubbs1
    jnenrphyl8ig.png
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I had my annual visit with my dermatologist for a whole skin check. I passed with flying colors. My mom and sister both had skin cancers so it’s made me more aware of sun damage. DH had his annual hearing test and exam yesterday and he also had a good checkup. We made a trip down to the gluten free bakery and stocked up the freezer for goodies for him.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I had my annual visit with my dermatologist for a whole skin check. I passed with flying colors. My mom and sister both had skin cancers so it’s made me more aware of sun damage. DH had his annual hearing test and exam yesterday and he also had a good checkup. We made a trip down to the gluten free bakery and stocked up the freezer for goodies for him.

Sounds like good news all around.

My dad had skin cancer issues but that was because he coached high school baseball in the spring, played golf frequently, and spent his summers working outside in Gettysburg supervising teenage boys in whatever playground activities they did (including one year Dwight Eisenhower's grandson when he was visiting his grandfather at Eisenhower's Gettysburg farm). I guess if you have to make money in the summer that was a pretty good gig.
  • mdubbs1
    Remember Maks from Dancing with the Stars? He's in Ukraine.

https://people.com/tv/maks-chmerkovskiy-kirstie-alley-ukraine-war-post-dwts/
  • PamS53
    edited February 2022
    https://nextdoor.com/p/QpCrprbsKh7H?utm_source=share&extras=MjAxMzY5MjA=

I couldn’t get the picture to post, but here’s a link to a guide to petting a cat.
  • mdubbs1
    After a disappointing week last week I lost a pound and a half this week - decided to celebrate by making my ticker look less like winter and more like spring!

813jqqd5lusk.png
  • mdubbs1
    Some days I feel like I could eat anything!

eb3r1dxaf7rj.png

• Helene610
    We didn’t do a lot this weekend. I think we were recovering from all the driving last week when we went off island 2 days for medical appointments. We do several errands whenever we leave the island. We were invited to a BBQ Sunday night so I made a corn and bean salad and a Southern grape salad for dessert. Two of the guests are vegetarian so I wanted to make something they’d enjoy. The host grilled veggie kabobs for them too. Everyone loved my offerings. I made the bean salad Saturday because it needs a day to meld. I waited until Sunday to make my dessert.
  • PamS53
    A very dear friend of mine lost her husband a week ago. He had Type I diabetes, heart disease, and kidney failure, so he’d been in poor health for quite awhile. Even with all of those underlying conditions, his end came relatively quickly after having a procedure to open up arteries in his heart. He suffered a massive heart attack a few days afterward and was in the hospital for a little less than a week when the medical staff recommended hospice care. He had become non responsive and stopped eating. He passed about 2 days after hospice care began. His service will be next Saturday. They waited 2 weeks to allow family and friends who live away to make travel arrangements. They have lived in several parts of the country and her husband was a salesman for an international company, so he literally had friends everywhere. In lieu of flowers, I decided to bake some things for her to have on hand for all of the family and guests that will be in and out of her home this week. I’ve just finished baking the last of 4 different types of cookies. Some still need some finishing touches that I’ll do in a little while before I package everything up. I’ll probably deliver everything tomorrow morning on my way to vote in our primary elections.

I had planned to vote early but my plans were foiled by not being able to drive myself there and then polls were closed one day due to the ice storm. My appointment with my ortho doctor was also delayed 2 weeks due to the ice, so I’ve decided to go ahead and start driving as I believe he would have removed that restriction if I’d been able to keep the original appointment. At least I plan to try. If it is painful I’ll stop but it’s been 3 months since the accident and surgery, so I really think it should be ok.
  • Helene610
    When DH had bypass surgery, his instructions were to stop driving for 12 weeks. After his 12 week checkup, he asked if he could start driving. The doctor was surprised he hadn’t started already. When he reminded the doctor about the 12 week instruction, the doctor said few patients actually follow instructions. Of course, his wrist wasn’t involved.
  • PamS53
    It’s been 13 weeks since my accident, so I think that should be ample time. I have almost full range of motion of my elbow and wrist. The only issue is that my hand is still weaker than before the accident, but it’s getting stronger every day from use. If I can push the button on the side of the gearshift, I think I should be ok. I just have to learn the features of my new car since I’ve only been a passenger thus far.
  • mdubbs1
    When DH had bypass surgery, his instructions were to stop driving for 12 weeks. After his 12 week checkup, he asked if he could start driving. The doctor was surprised he hadn’t started already. When he reminded the doctor about the 12 week instruction, the doctor said few patients actually follow instructions. Of course, his wrist wasn’t involved.

I'm sorry but that gave me a chuckle. I'd have been your husband. Following the instructions to a "t".
  • mdubbs1
    We didn’t do a lot this weekend. I think we were recovering from all the driving last week when we went off island 2 days for medical appointments. We do several errands whenever we leave the island. We were invited to a BBQ Sunday night so I made a corn and bean salad and a Southern grape salad for dessert. Two of the guests are vegetarian so I wanted to make something they’d enjoy. The host grilled veggie kabobs for them too. Everyone loved my offerings. I made the bean salad Saturday because it needs a day to meld. I waited until Sunday to make my dessert.

I'm antsy after DH and I "locked down" for about 2 1/2 months. I'm gradually hitting up grocery stores to see if I can find some of the things I haven't been able to get in the online orders.

What is a Southern grape salad?
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    It’s been 13 weeks since my accident, so I think that should be ample time. I have almost full range of motion of my elbow and wrist. The only issue is that my hand is still weaker than before the accident, but it’s getting stronger every day from use. If I can push the button on the side of the gearshift, I think I should be ok. I just have to learn the features of my new car since I’ve only been a passenger thus far.

After I broke my wrist someone said to me "oh, we've all had to drive one handed at one time or the other". Um, no, we haven't. I'm just not that confident a driver.
  • mdubbs1
    edited March 2022
    It may be Mardi Gras in New Orleans but where I grew up it's Fasnacht Day. I guess the PA Dutch aren't the big partiers but they do like their sweets. Fasnachts are a type of donut.

Is this the future of grocery stores: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/25/amazon-go-grocery-supermarket-seattle-technology

(I saw the story on the NY Times and went looking for a source that doesn't require a subscription. I have no idea what this web site is but the story is interesting.)
  • Helene610
    Southern grape salad is kind of like a dessert. You soften 8 Oz cream cheese and combine it with one cup of sour cream. Add 3 T of sugar. Add red and green grapes and mix to combine. Add 1/2 walnut halves and dust the salad with a little brown sugar. I bought a package of Emerald glazed walnuts and used that instead of plain walnuts and brown sugar. I created the lazy woman’s version. The recipe called for 2 pounds of each type of grape. I used less because I didn’t want to spend $25 on just grapes.