Music in the kitchen helps !
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,500 Member
    Options
    fzisbydyzky6.jpg
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hello Marilyn, how are you doing today ?

On my side, I am still sick but at least I have accepted the fact that I would not exercise as planned for a week of so (stopped already since last Tuesday) and I feel better for accepting that it is not such a big deal.
    Yesterday I did a small walk and I watched a film. I think I will do the same today.
    I also promise the kids to bake a cake and tonight it will be pasta.

Did I told you that on Thursday I made chocolate chip cookies and I only ate 1 of them ?
    So proud !
    And happy because everyone loved them and this was a pleasure for me to have prepared it.

Eva, I see you are also still sick. What will be your comfort activity today. Also a movie ? I hope you can relax and take care of yourself.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    I am doing well, thanks for asking. Got my stitches out on Wednesday, arm is itchy but that is because it is healing inside so they tell me. Now for the fisquala to mature and be ready for when I need dialysis which I pray will not be for some time.

Havent been on the treadmill now for about one week - and I need to get back doing it. Also have taken back to eaten bread since I had the flu - and that has affected my weight - so now back to making sure I eat properly, getting in all the water necessary to help the kidneys and to do my daily walk.

Have a great day everyone

h2zpaiy9n1qs.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Ah bread !
    My husband looooves bread. He goes buy fresh bread each day. It is never good for me. First it is high in calories but also I usually eat it with something that is high in calories as well (either cheese or chocolate spread or peanut butter).

I also try to avoid it but that means I need to have something else ready. Because bread is there, on the counter, and easy to grab.
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Ah bread…I also avoid good bread. When I first moved to the US many years ago it was so hard to find good bread that I stopped eating bread and i stead started eating oatmeal for breakfast and cooked food for lunch and dinner. Now of course it’s easier to find tasty bread, but the habit has stuck. I do eat Ezekiel bread, but it’s somehow its own thing.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    nh01a271fc0k.jpeg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Ah Eva so you live in the states. I thought you lived in Germany.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    I live in Chicago! Chicago is great, but I wouldn’t mind living in Germany again. I grew up in the South West of Germany…
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    galnghyk0sn3.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Hello there,

7th day inside to get rid of my bronchitis. It starts to work. I didn't took any pills today. Still coughing but that is gonna take a t least 3 weeks.
    Tomorrow evening I have a run session with the club and I think I will go. Gently but still, getting back outside !

I weighted myself this morning and the trend is downwards. Proof that exercise is not what counts when we talk about weight.
    I ate something very good tonight, a vegan taco pie. I am going to post the picture in the corresponding discussion later.

I hope @henridw2095 you're feeling better as well ? And some news from our other herbivores @Curvykinkycurls @AnnPT77 ?
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    i3m7mp7i719e.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    Hi everyone - sorry to have dropped out for a few days. Still struggling with the cold, but will try to get back to the gym for some lighter exercise today. We lost one of our older guinea pigs on Monday and she will leave a big hole in our family. She had heart disease and bladder inflammation, so she had required a lot of care over the last two years. She was the sweetest girl and we will miss her.

Like @Maya440 weight is looking good this month, despite a smaller calorie deficit. I'm down 3 pounds in November so far and have reached my November goal of being consistently below BMI 25 (I started November at 25.1 - which is still "overweight" - and have been below that for more than 10 days now, in the "healthy" range. BMI is obviously not that meaningful, it's not like I got a lot healthier in the last 10 days...but its one measure doctors use, so it's nice to be below that. I agree dieting is easier when not also doing intense workouts, interesting observation.

Yesterday I pulled out some old clothes from under bed storage, it's crazy how many sizes of clothes I have. Some clothes are now already too big to wear, some are starting to fit, and some are still too small. Very little fits just right at the moment, since I refused to buy clothes when I was that weight and gaining, but then bought some clothes when I was heavier. Once I reach my weight goal some time next spring, I will clean out and donate or sell everything that is too large or outdated or too worn. I might also get some of the nicer items altered or alter them myself. The most sustainable clothes are still the ones you already own...
  • Maya440
    Options
    Hello Eva,
    I hope the gym session felt good. It must be nice to rediscover new « old clothes », congrats on being below BMI 25. It is indeed not always meaningful in terms of health but it does mean you’re lighter !!

I had a difficult day today. I went for a run yesterday evening bu my lungs did not appreciate the cold air and today it was difficult for me to breathe properly. I wanted to bike tomorrow because the weather will be nice but that’s probably not so reasonable…
  • henridw2095
    Options
    It felt great to be back at the gym…didn’t overdo it today, this was just to get back into my regular schedule. Will probably go again on Friday and may add a restorative yoga class after, since it’s a holiday here.

Sorry you’re still struggling with breathing. Not much choice but to stick to what you can do without making it worse.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    i1lth4un5wfl.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Still not okay.
    I ate too much chocolate in the afternoon. I wasn't even hungry. Now I don't know what to cook tnigh. I have no energy to think or do anything. My son wants to eat French fries.

I know that on the other side of the planet it is Thanksgiving. So I guess you will all be eating too much today. I whish you all a very nice moment with your family. Let me know what you ate. As an herbivore on Thanksgiving maybe that's a little tricky ?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to the USA-ians, and positive wishes on our holiday for your well-being!

Maya, I'm sorry your illness is still hanging on. I empathize. For me, often respiratory things are really persistent that way. It sounds like you're tuning in to the fatigue and adjusting, which is IMO the right decision. I hope you feel better soon!

I had some kind of sniffle-sneeze thing recently too (started on my birthday, which doesn't seem fair!). This time, I'm grateful that it seems to be subsiding relatively quickly, not my usual scenario. (I have early stage COPD, mostly asymptomatic; but respiratory stuff easily progresses to bronchitis. I think I dodged that this time, thankfully.)

I'm grudgingly transitioning into Winter workout mode. I told the on-water rowing group I coordinate that I was ending regularly-scheduled M-W-F-Sa rowing for the season, because the water is dangerously cold. (Our single rowing shells are only about 12 inches (30.5 cm) wide at the waterline, and very tippy. Sometimes they flip. We'd already been in the mode of rowing only 4-rower quads, these last weeks, because they're less likely to flip. At a certain point, though, even that starts feeling risky, plus the dock gets frost-covered and carrying the boats becomes more risky because of that.)

Today starts the Concept 2 (rowing machine company) Holiday Challenge, which I've done for quite a few years. I'm going to give it a shot again. The idea is to machine row 200k (or stationary bike 400k) on their machines between today and Christmas Eve, on any schedule one prefers. The company contributes a few cents per meter after 100k to a charity. We can choose from a small list of charities. I usually do this as a 6 days a week, one day rest, moderate steady state kind of thing. It's good for cardiovascular base.

I've had a C2 rowing machine since around 2004 or 2005. When I stopped the twice-weekly spin classes during the pandemic, I got one of their bikes. My plan is to alternate row and bike, which I did last year, too. The meters take around 40-45 minutes-ish for me, because I'm old and slow. :D

Maya, my tradition (even while vegetarian) is mostly to have had Thanksgiving dinner with my omnivore family. My late husband's family "kept me" for holiday purposes after he was gone, since I'm childless and an only child, parents deceased. They are always great about making sure there are things I can eat. Usually it's mashed potatoes, salad, sides like sweet potatoes or baked beans, and that sort of thing. Since I'm vegetarian, not vegan, I can also eat rolls, butter, pumpkin or other pies, etc.

Usually in recent years I contribute cole slaw, since my brother-in-law likes the way I make it (with shredded apples as the "secret" ingredient). In the past, I've contributed things like sweet potatoes baked with walnuts and pineapple, a whole cauliflower head with a nice sauce (because it looks dramatic ;) ), green beans cooked with fresh mushrooms, and that sort of thing. My families are pretty mainstream in their tastes, so not too experimental!

During the pandemic, I stayed home by myself, not wanting to carry my area's microbes over to the other side of the state where my in-laws live. I made a rule that I would eat whatever I wanted on the holidays, traditional or otherwise.

A couple of examples have been:

* herbed bread-based baked dressing with sweet corn and black beans, topped with a rich gravy made with sauteed fresh mushrooms, garlic, and caramelized onions. (Scary brown color, but tasty.) Non-vegan coconut custard for dessert.
    * Oven-roasted potato wedges; roasted butternut squash with toasted pumpkin seeds; roasted carrots and parsnips with balsamic glaze; and (not vegan) mac'n'cheese with roasted cauliflower, navy beans, cremini mushrooms, caramelized onions, garlic and fresh sage plus homemade buttermilk biscuits on the side, and pumpkin custard for dessert.

I'm not feeling very ambitious today. I'm at home alone not so much because of pandemic as my head cold (my SIL and BIL are elderly with health issues) plus my SIL is ill. We may reschedule.

I'm not feeling super ambitious, but I bought a huge range of fresh local veggies at the farmers market yesterday: Red potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, celeriac, green cabbage, sweet potatoes. I'm toying with the idea of some kind of sweet-potato crusted savory pie as a main. (Sweet potato crusts are great for this. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it!) I may roast some of the other veggies, too, and have some Georgia Candy Roaster squash that I need to roast and freeze. I think I could still find some non-frozen sage in the garden if I make squash soup or something like that.

Best wishes to all, and speedy/full recovery to both Maya and Marilyn specifically!

• Maya440
    Options
    Thank you for your long message.
    I enjoy reading it before I start my working day.
    I have slept well. Still coughing a lot and not feeling myself. The weather is nice and maybe I will try to go outside for a super short run or a walk this afternoon. I miss both day light and fresh air.

Wow that concept 2 holiday challenge is great. You must be super fit from your chest and arms. Well legs as well I guess :D
    I have tried cycling at home but I feel that very annoying. I prefer group spin class even if it means I have to go there in the evening.

Love that a whole cauliflower would look dramatic ahah. I tried once but burnt it. Not so easy to have the middle cooked without burning it.

My family doesn't particularly enjoy sweet potato but still I would be interested in that "sweet-potato crusted savory pie"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    The sweet potato crust is tasty, and super easy.

You just slice raw sweet potatoes thinly (like 1/8 inch or 0.3 cm), and arrange them slightly overlapping in a lightly-oiled pie plate. The potato slices around the edge can be cut in half and placed flat edge down to make them fit better. Spray or brush a light coating of oil on them. For most uses, pre-bake until potatoes are just tender, around 20 minutes at 350F/177C (moderate) oven.

It's good with many kinds of filling. I don't usually follow recipes for things like this, so I don't have a recipe for filling. (Don't remember exactly what I put in it when I've made it in the past, even, and didn't end up making it yesterday.)

The recipes on the web for this kind of crust are mostly quiche-like things, so some vegan variation on that theme would be good. Black beans, corn, and caramelized onions are great with sweet potatoes. The crust would also be good in a more flat pan with pizza-type toppings, I think.