Replies

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,500 Member
    Options
    6g3fuy0zbly0.jpg
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Ah yes in French we say “gratin dauphinois”. I make it mostly with white potatoes.

I have a pneumonia and started antibiotics. Hopefully will be recovered next weekend. It is already ten days…
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I hope the antibiotics quickly turn things around, Maya!
    Maya440 wrote: »
    Ah yes in French we say “gratin dauphinois”. I make it mostly with white potatoes.

I have a pneumonia and started antibiotics. Hopefully will be recovered next weekend. It is already ten days…

The version of potatoes dauphinois I'm familiar with are a layered dish, usually with cream. Do you make it as a single layer pie crust, also? Is there a vegan version in your cuisine, i.e., what would you sub for cream?
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    oh no @Maya440 - hoping the antibiotics will work quickly!

@AnnPT77 the crust sounds delicious, I might have to try it!

I cooked quite a bit the last few days, but nothing related to Thanksgiving. Still enjoyed the break and the food.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    07bhaj8q3sir.jpg
  • Maya440
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hum from your question I understand I didn’t get the sweet potato pie.
    I went back to read your description. So in fact you use sweet potatoes to replace the crust of a pie. Then you can choose whatever fillings. Ah. My family is not very found of sweet potatoes. But I like them simply roasted in the oven.

There is a version of the gratin dauphinois on the Monkey and Me kitchen adventures that I like but usually I would simply replace the milk and cream by plant-based versions. It works well. The secret is to cut the potatoes very narrow (not sure that’s the good word).

I didn’t eat much today, not even 1000 kcal.
    I think I’m going to try a 3-day water fast as from tomorrow to help my immune system fight the pneumonia.
    I have done water fast in the past, the longest was eight days and I know I will feel better because I don’t feel hungry, my body signals for it.
    However it will be the first time I do this type of fast since I’ve stop bingeing earlier this year so I’m a little bit afraid of the days after but I think if I eat adequately and enough when I stop my fast it should be okay … and I know I will do this again in the future so it is a good moment to try.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    5qszgjkggux4.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    Talking about falls, I almost fell twice today…first I almost slipped on a wet spot in the hallway at home while cleaning two bathrooms in parallel, then I almost slipped on some unexpected ice on our way to dinner. Nothing happened…I hate the idea of falling, since I’ve busted my rotator cuff twice already.

I’ve tried to fast only once and it didn’t go well, I got very cranky and faint. But it sounds like others have different experiences! Hoping you’re recovering @Maya440 !
  • Maya440
    Options
    Thank you Eva

I have fasted several time and I love it. It is a little bit spiritual and I feel like I nurture my body.
    What is actually difficult is not the fast itself but rather the eating after the fast. To keep benefits it has to be extra healthy and cravings for unhealthy food are sometimes quite high.

This night I coughed far less and my nose is clear. A first since more than 2 weeks 😀
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    amqenkw26g98.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Hello !

@henridw2095 are you fully recovered ?

I have slept wonderfully well and I feel rested. Eventually getting back to myself.
    Today the weather is very cold but sunny. I will go for a walk. I am still on sick leave (until tomorrow included). I will probably work a little bit on my emails and such to avoid too much work later but it is fine to be "allowed" to rest fully.

My fast is going very easily, I am not hungry at all and haven't had a single headache or anything.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,070 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I hate the idea of falling, since I’ve busted my rotator cuff twice already.

I strongly recommend taking up a martial art if you haven’t tried that. I did tai chi for a few years (had to stop for reasons that had nothing to do with the tai chi) and I credit it with DRASTICALLY improving my balance, coordination, and proprioception (awareness of where I am in space). I haven’t tried any others, but I know for a fact that tai chi, kung fu, and judo teach you how to fall properly, i.e. without injury — which could be a lifesaver someday as we get older! I used to constantly sprain my ankles since childhood, and haven’t done that in years now.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    6qu0r8mcuvyo.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    I like that one @Marilynsretired !
    How are you doing ?
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Thanks for asking. Am doing as good as expected. Needed to make a trip to the emergeny on Sunday afternoon but blood work showed everything was ok though I was having muscle spasms/twitching. They have pretty much stopped, but am not dealing with very itchy skin. I believe it is all to do with the kidney function. I see the kidney doctors next week so am watching my food and increasing the water intake. On Sunday my kidney function was down to 9 - was 10 3 weeks ago - and 9 is not good but am not going to panic as I am feeling pretty good - just need to make sure I get in enough water to keep the kidneys as 'wet' as possible = really want to postpone dialysis as long as possible but it looks like it could be around the corner - which will really affect quality of lifestyle. But it will keep me alive for a bit longer - anyway feeling ok right now - thanks again for asking
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    e80k1o9gynwe.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Marilynsretired glad you’re feeling ok! 🫂. Love to see your daily posts.

I’m recovered but insanely busy getting ready to travel. traveling to Europe for a few days is far from my ideal, but my mom has been sick for more than a year and I try to visit.

I am planning to exercise a bit and track everything during my trip. Started doing yoga the last two days, mainly to stretch, since my lower back has been weird. Reminded me how much I love yoga (used to do it regularly).
  • Maya440
    Options
    Happy to read you're recovered Eva ! I am almost there as well.

I am sorry your mother is sick. It will certainly be good to see her.
    Yoga is great, I try to do it at least 20' per week... always sleep better afterwards.

This morning my son refused to go to school. he'd already sulked for 2 hours last night over a stupid frustration and I think he was just having trouble getting up. What a nightmare. What do you do when your teenage boy says no and doesn't move. I was at lost for ideas. Threaten to deprive him of his computer, blackmail him ? I hate that. I felt so powerless. And I know it is only the beginning.
    We will need to have a discussion tonight with my husband, the three of us...
    I take any advice you may have !
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    Maya440 wrote: »
    What do you do when your teenage boy says no and doesn't move. I was at lost for ideas. Threaten to deprive him of his computer, blackmail him ? I hate that.
    I take any advice you may have !

Your instincts are right: punishment will only lead to more power struggles, and you can’t physically make a teenager do anything. (Well there are ways of course, but you’re not that kind of parent.)

So what do you do? You flip the script! Do something surprising and positive. He’s expecting you to push back and give him a fight, so don’t! Turn on some dance music, make silly faces, tell a joke, cover yourself with a sheet and pretend to be a ghost. I don’t know your kid, but you know what might make him laugh. Laughter is a great tension breaker! The surprise and levity will throw him off his sulking, improve his mood, and give him a graceful way forward. Once you’ve started sulking and you know you’ve caused your mom frustration, it’s hard to figure out how to return to “normal” without lingering tension and embarrassment, you know? But if mom decides to be goofy instead, you might as well join in.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    8w3mgvzlq2dn.jpg