• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,509 Member
    Options
    2lk3m2vgujmi.jpg
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I’ve been MIA here, still catching up from my trip at the beginning of the month, but am getting there. Looking forward to the break to get back into my cooking, meal prepping, and exercise routine. I will be working, but not with a fixed schedule.
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    That's fine :)

I don't know where I stand in regards to my weight and what I want. I feel a little bit lost.
    I still track and come daily on the forum but I don't feel good about the way I am eating.

In the coming days, we will have 2 Christmas celebrations and my birthday.
    Then next Friday we go on holidays for 10 days with friends.
    I will exercise because I love to but I have near zero motivation for healthy eating.

I will come here to remind me that I care.

And like bON said on the other forum, it is far easier to maintain habits than to have to get back to where we were before quitting...
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    yqvkallfopiu.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    This makes me think of something my coach said : the food doesn’t come by itself or jump in your mouth. You place it there.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Maya440 sorry you're feeling a bit lost - worrying about the holidays and vacation is ok. Remember you don't have to be perfect, you're in amazing shape and it's ok to sometimes eat nice food. Motivation comes and goes, and you have great habits to fall back on. Getting a break is also good.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    0ezrdrjhyqio.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    2g083ueiqjn2.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Merry Christmas to you all !

I had 2 Christmas parties on Saturday and Sunday.
    I tracked all I ate on Saturday (ouch)
    I tracked half of what I ate on Sunday and the other half is for today. I will fast until 2pm at least. It is already 11am and I am not hungry at all anyway.

I had a great moment with both family (my side, and my husband’s side). I love Christmas 🎄

Today I plan to rest and clean the house, go for an hour bike probably. Dinner will be a dhal with sweet potatoes and spinach.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    hlnfq780zxk8.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    fliaorhrvl7m.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    How is your diet going on ?
    Are you finished with the 12 days ?
    What is up next ?
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    I have finished the 12 days of the McDougall plan. It went well but did not lose any weight which sort of surprised me. But must admit though I enjoyed the food I was eating I do miss a little chicken, cheese, and eggs.

I have a website that my husband found of a man that brought his numbers up so he did not have to have diaylsis - he offers a lot of information that he has researched and has talked to many kidney doctors around the world. All this information he is passing on for free. On his website there is a family cookbook (144 pages) where all the ingredients of each menu has been tested to make sure it was good for the kidneys and would help restore them. He also has a very long list of approved foods - have never seen such an extensive list as this - so am using it for my grocery list.

I am going to be starting up with the treadmill today and as of January 1 will be eating a lot better as now I have all the foods I know are ok for me to eat.

6v2fw9dufpwc.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Yes, I also thought you would lose weight but maybe you’re not overweight ?
    In that case weight loss would not be expected.

that’s nice that you have find such a great resource. I hope you can stick with it ! Let us know how it goes.
    on my side cheese is the thing that I missed the most in a vegan diet, and that’s why I’m vegetarian, but I don’t eat so much of it, mainly when we eat outside at restaurant or friends.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    wvie4e81tq6j.jpg
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I've been reading through some of these chat pages and you folks have some great conversations :)
    I'm gearing up for a weight loss challenge here on MFP and am facing a dilemma: The challenge starts on January 3rd and I'm going away from the 6th to the 20th. My dear hubby and I are going to spend the two weeks helping out my BIL (long story I won't go into right now, maybe in another post). My plan for next year is to go 100% vegan at home (I'm currently a cheese-loving vegetarian), and if I have to, revert to vegetarian when out.
    So my dilemma is that DH and BIL are not vegetarian (and not on a weight-loss diet) and, while cooking here at our home isn't difficult, I think it will be more so when we're at his place (10 hours away). Since we're driving down to his place I can bring a bunch of food with me so I can just reheat there and supplement with some quick veggie stir-frys, rice and salads. I have recipes for Walnut Bean Burgers and a Sun-Dried Tomato Lentil Loaf that I'm going to make next week, but I want to basically bring enough food for 3 meals a day, 14 days. I have two other recipes that I can make there because they're quick and easy (not a lot of ingredients and one pan).
    If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. I'm especially looking for stuff that I can make here and that will easily wrap. I don't want to bring soups/stews because the containers will take up too much space. Any good recipes for homemade vegan protein bars? Other types of loafs/patties that I can wrap in foil for travel, etc.? Any help would be much appreciated,
    thanks, Spring
  • henridw2095
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi Spring @SparkSpringtime69 - I recently also went on a trip while tracking/losing weight. Can you shop/cook there or prepare food by mixing at least? I made sure to have access to a food scale and basically just fended for myself. Mornings, I had oats with fruit and nuts and nut/oatmilk (muesli style, but overnight works too). Other than that, I kept it simple. Sandwiches with peanut butter, packaged smoked tofu, fruit, and one very quick veggie pan in the evening with some vegan protein. I'm mostly cooking for nutrition, so I wasn't super picky what goes into those pans, sweet potato, tofu, some veg like zucchini, cabbage...in the US I make sheet-pan style meals, but in Europe I did it on the stove, either is fine.

I'm not into protein bars, since they have quite a bit of added sugar, but like the taste of luna bars (nutz over chocolate). I carried a luna bar with my to Europe and back, it's now on the shelf at home - with me gloating at it :). I also don't make patties, mainly because it's too much work, sorry, but there are many patty recipes out there....

I will add that it's easier to transition into veganism slowly. Challenges and New Year resolutions aside, it's a long game and takes a bit of practice. I also had a non-vegan meal during my trip, visiting some elderly relatives who had made a nice cake and set a very nice table for me.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hi Eva @henridw2095 Thanks for the suggestions :) I can shop/cook there but I'm hoping to not be in the kitchen too much so my hubby can cook the stuff for him and his brother. It can be time consuming because BIL never wears his dentures, so everything has to be cooked until it's very soft yuck :s. So basically we cook some stuff to our liking, pull it out and leave BIL's in for longer (pasta, veggies, etc.)
    I am planning to saute up pans of veggies a few times a week, but I want to get a lot of protein stuff done here before we leave.
    Love the muesli idea, I can pack a bunch up in a baggie, just pick up some plant milk when I get there and do the overnight thing - easy peasy. Quick question-do you use regular rolled oats or the quick-cook kind?
    I'll probably avoid the sandwiches to avoid the bread. I'll also buy some tempeh and tofu that I can toss in with the veggies.
    I like your Luna bar story, I also don't buy packaged protein bars for the same reason. I have a protein bar recipe I tried a long time ago, but they didn't stay together well so I thought I'd put the question out there in case someone has made something that they liked.
    I think the transition to vegan won't be too hard, all I really need to do is give up the cheese. I've been using plant milk for years (I usually make my own) and haven't had eggs for probably close to a year now. Of course that doesn't include things that have egg/milk in them like your cake, which I'm sure was delicious ;) . I won't be kicking myself if I eat something like that occasionally, I just don't want it to be a regular thing.
    Thanks again.
  • henridw2095
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69

for overnight or cooked oats I currently use Protein Oats from Bob's Red Mill. But quick cooking works as well, especially if you plan to skip the soaking or cooking.

When I'm in the US, I generally like to eat Ezekiel brand bread and English Muffins, but understand people who skip bread. My preference for this brand is an old one, from before when Americans learned how to bake European type bread. There is still no equivalent of great German whole-wheat/grain bread here :'( - at least Ezekiel is good as its own thing.

Canned beans and salsa also make for a quick meal. I just rinse the beans, heat in the micro and toss with a bit of salsa. It's a real emergency meal.

When I was in Germany, I would cook at times my parents didn't. They cook lunch, so I cooked dinner...
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    o71zd95pbtsc.jpg