Chat room - what's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Eva @henridw2095, I Iike the Ezekiel bread too. The english muffins are hard to find around me. I think the Walmart nearby carries them, but I HATE going into Walmart so I tend to do without. I don't think I could go through a whole loaf of bread in two weeks, but if the Publix in FL has the english muffins I could pick them up.
    I've never had real German bread, but when my grandparents would visit for a holiday from Brooklyn, grandma would make klutens, mmmm.
    Beans and salsa are on my list of stuff to buy down there. Those two with some corn, cilantro and lime juice will make a quick and tasty chili (which DH and BIL might also eat).
    Great suggestions, thank you so much.
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 888 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 and avocado...yum...I might have to try that too.
    Not trying to push bread on anyone of course...but I have the same struggle, I buy it frozen and thaw it by the slice/muffin, either in the fridge (muffins) or while toasting in my toaster oven (bread).

I have never heard of Kluten...it seems to be a Northern thing. Funny how many local foods Germans have, with it being such a small country.
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hello, just reading all your conversation and it’s very interesting as I myself starting 10 days of holidays with friends today !!

the difficult thing for me will not be to eat vegan since I eat cheese but rather to eat normal quantities and avoid overeating.

I may try to eat overnight oats as a snack it’s a good idea.

I’ll probably skip breakfast to allow for drinks and chips before dinner and I think I will keep my standard lunch which is usually steamed potatoes and veggies. I can use frozen veggies so it’s ready in five minutes. The others will eat bread, cheese, ham and so on.
    I won’t focus too much on protein I don’t think it’s such an issue if I don’t have pkant-based protein during those 10 days.

Let us share how we are doing during those days we can help each other to stay committed!!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Eva, interesting about the regional thing. My grandmother was from Northern Germany. I can't remember what town, but I was just looking at a map and Bremerhaven is ringing a bell in my head so that might be it. I think the wursts might a local thing too. They used to have mettwurst and gruenkohl & pinkelwurst when they visited, or we visited them; also rouladen on occasion. Can't imagine eating that stuff now, yuck.
    I do the same fridge/toaster thing with Ezekiel!

Maya, overnight oats would make a great snack, I would eat them that way too. I generally eat a pretty big breakfast and not what most would consider traditional breakfast food. I go for dinner leftovers or something like that. Sharing how we are doing is a good idea - it can help keep us accountable.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,450 Member
    Options
    qgesqbdynywh.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    c653gd03ycxi.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Happy new year my herbivores friends !!

Big dream for next year is an half ironman in June. Whoop whoop !
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    x99yl5a3qn6l.gif

Have a fantastic first day of 2024!
    Spring
  • henridw2095
    edited January 1
    Options
    Happy New Year Friends!! 🤩 I wish everyone a healthy successful year, however you define success!! Let’s keep making healthy choices and saving animals 🐓🐮🐷.

@Maya440 Amazing goal to do a half ironman :)
    @Marilynsretired Rooting for you in your dietary changes 👏🏻
    @SparkSpringtime69 Have a nice visit with your BiL to get started!

Some of my goals for next year are to work towards an unassisted pull-up (to be honest, I don’t know how long it will take), consistently run 5k and resist the temptation to run further, reach my goal weight in March and improve body composition throughout the year (again, I don’t know how quick that will be). I do like the unknown, it keeps things interesting.
  • Maya440
    Options
    Great objectives.

I have a friend who has a candidose and will stop eating refined sugar for 6 months so I have committed to eat without refined sugar every Monday and every Thursday to support her. That won't be easy as I eat a lot of treats usually but let's try.

My holidays are going well. Today was a beautiful cold sunny day. I swim 2km and had a 2 hours walk in the snow. Eating is not really healthy but I do have my veggies every day and I track, that's my minimum.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone

Glad it is a new year - ready to have a better year than 2023 but am so thankful I am still alive as the doctors didn't think I would make it this far due to kidney failure. Boy have I fooled them.

Have made a commitment that this year I will eat 100% better than I did last year in order to help out my stressed kidneys and praying that the kidney number will go back up so I can avoide diaylsis for even longer

January goals are as follows
    1) Eat the foods that aid my kidneys, 3 meals, no snacks, sugar and flour to be reduced greatly
    2) Drink 72 oz of water daily
    3) No salt at all for kidneys
    4) Track all food
    5) Walk on the treadmill 30 minutes each day
    6) Write out the menu for the day the night before and stick with it.
    7) Read through the Bible this year (again) with my husband
    8) Quality time re praying
    ** 9) Goal is to lose 5 pounds this month

Today's weight 239.8 so goal for January 31 is to weigh in at 234.8 or less

osplwr15v4yv.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Marilynsretired these are great goals! Very proud of you for sticking around and fighting!

Why don't you and @SparkSpringtime69 join the accountability group both Maya and I have been in for a few months, it's great...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/145828-ultimate-accountability-challenge-january-2024

@Maya440 - I almost never eat refined sugar. It's a matter of practice - your palate will change and you will develop other go-to foods, and I don't have craving for it anymore. I eat a lot of fruit, but do ok with sugar in my diary.

I have also reduced my sodium to less than 1.8 g per day (from over 3g/day) and its going well. Yesterday I mis-measured the reduced sodium soy sauce on my dinner (used more than I wanted) and I struggled eating it, my palate has already recalibrated somewhat. Doing this to support @Marilynsretired but also for my own health.

• Maya440
    Options
    Yes I know it is feasible to get used to eat without refined sugar.
    But I don’t have any motivation to do so.
    I am very happy with eating chocolate every day !!

I believe I eat very healthy otherwise so I am taking care of myself.

Of course I find it great that some people do avoid all sugar (and or flour), it is just not for me.
  • henridw2095
    edited January 1
    Options
    as someone who routinely eats more than 300g carbs a day I’m not going to argue 😜. For me this was more of a natural evolution, I crave more salt than sugar.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @Maya440 half ironman is very impressive!
    @henridw2095 I'm working towards an unassisted pullup too. It's been slow progress, probably because I wasn't 100% with my ST workouts last year. The challenge you mentioned above looks interesting, but I think my January is going to be a bit hectic so I might look into it for next month.
    @Marilynsretired good to hear you haven't been put on dialysis yet. I'll be rooting for you to get your number up this year.

My 2024
    Early 60s, 5'-8" (ish)
    SW (02.10.22) - 150 lbs
    CW - 151.4 (01.01.24)
    January GW - 146.0
    Final GW - 125 lbs (or may possibly stop at 130, depending on how I feel and look)

I had lost about 15 pounds last year, but the last couple months I have really not been taking such good care of myself and the scale is showing it. I posted on the December thread, but I'll repeat here.

I'm making a commitment to start in January vegan-forward - basically 100% vegan at home and as vegan as I can when out. I've done it for weeks at a time, but just always fall back to eating cheese. I'm also going to cut out the processed food - it might be giving me a lot of protein, but it's also giving me a lot of sodium, sugar and preservatives. So 2024 is my year to truly go Whole Food, Plants Only!

I also have to commit to a regular gym routine - it's been pretty inconsistent since mid-September and I need my workouts back! A couple days of step classes, couple days of treadmill, ST 2x/wk and a few yoga and Tai Chi classes.
  • Maya440
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69

Good weight goal. I found that for myself not going too fast was key to stay consistent and happy.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    7jzn43y8saq5.jpg
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year my lovely herbivores!! Hope you all had a fantastic Festive season and excited for the new beginnings this year.

Sorry I've been MIA - December is a busy old month for me at work...coupled with extra home/life issues and it was pretty full on. Something had to give and inevitably it was food logging & MFP. I honestly don't think I went far off track though. Possibly a few handfuls of pretzels etc over the season I could have done without but this year felt so healthy compared to years gone by, as my 1st Xmas as a vegan. No Baileys, no ham in cola, no pigs in blankets and no puddings (as they all contained dairy). Was I hungry? No! Did I feel like I was missing out? No! Did I save money? Yes! Did I save kcals? Yes! Did I lose weight? Hmm...well I put on 1lb from 25Nov to 25Dec, so not too bad considering it is probably all Prosecco weight!!!

Trying to catch up on all the chats I missed, but too much to reply to all at once, so I'll just say It's great to be back and Hello to Spring! Nice to have another friendly team member 😀

Goals for 2024:
    SW: 147lb
    GW: 140lb
    Sleep - 7-8hrs
    Water - 2L
    Steps - 15k day
    Strength train/HIIT 3x week
    Dance & laugh whenever possible!
    Monitor all my nutrition & supplements, make sure I meet daily requirements
    Cut alcohol down
    Continue to grow & eat my own veggies

Sam xxx
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @maya440 I agree about the goal weight. I usually set goals for 8-10 a month and then get disappointed and frustrated when I don't meet them.
    @Curvykinkycurls good to see you back. Glad to hear you weathered the issues. Like you I also have had some life stuff going on, unlike you I gained about 10 Prosecco pounds not just one :p
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    1st three days of January have been great - following a plan for eating to help with my kidney failure. The plan is from a fellow whose kidney failed 5 years ago, he was told he needed dialysis immeditaly as he was in ICU. He asked for 2 months to do some research and to make some changes. In that time he talked to many doctors throughot the USA - top doctors in the field - changed up his eating completetly, started walking 30 minutes every day and drank 2 -3 L of water every day and uses absolutely no salt. He has a website with lots of information that he willing shares for free for others in the same condition. In that 2 months he asked the doctors for his kidney numbers went from 13 to 37 and has not had any dialysis in 5 years. He suggests a couple of books to read and on his website is a family cook book of 144 pages that a person can either download or just go to to get healthy foods that are all ok for the kidneys.

On Monday I made some soup from that cookbook - Beef (I used chicken) and Vegetable Soup. It was delicious though we put just a little chicken in it but had lots of vegetables and well spiced. We are having it for lunch today -there is no salt in it but the spices and herbs suggested made it so tasty.

Anyway am doing well and have lost 0.7 pounds since the 1st of January (3 days)

j15g29rh5tcm.jpg