Chat room - what's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Not every day but very often I thank myself for taking care of myself.

Big party this Saturday for me.
    We were in bed at 5.15am
    My legs are sore from all the dancing.

Next Saturday some friends organise an half marathon, I am still not decided if I will participate.
    Knowing I will probably have a bike session on Monday and a run session on Tuesday already…
    I will stretch this afternoon.

What are your plans for today ?
    Wishing you a great Sunday.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,504 Member
    Options
    beyurcuf3i0y.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    wrpo7jc7o88w.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Today is Day 1 of followin Dr. McDougalls 12 day program - I am having to learn to enjoy a variety of vegetables. With chronic kidney disease I am having to change things up - have been blessed with no dialysis for the last 15 months but it is time to really change up my lifestyle to get the numbers to be healthiers. So as of today am plant based ( hard when you are a meat eater) but am going to do it and hubby is backing me on this. Am using the menus from the 12 day program to start this journey and will go from there. So my anniversary meal next week and Christmas the week after is going to look somewhat different for me without the animal protein but I have to make this change otherwise I will be on diaylsis before I long (they thought I would be on it 12 months ago but have avoided it

7fge86payrlv.jpg

• Maya440
    Options
    Oh that is so great. Congratulations on taking this decision for your health. I read his book the starch solution I think it’s from him ? I loved it. I’m still eating every lunch based on potatoes and steamed vegetables and I apply many of the advices.
    I have made it easier with including a little bit of dairy and treats (can’t do without chocolate) but I think the principles are quite good.
    Let us know how it goes. I’m interested to know how you feel !!
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    @Marilynsretired we’re rooting for you! Hopefully this type of diet will grow on you 🫂. I find that my tastes gradually drift as I eat differently. (I struggle with salt, but now often skip adding more in solidarity with you.)
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    c5t4l7jetmpp.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    6vuie6iunnsn.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    eea825w3x83d.jpeg
  • Maya440
    Options
    How is your 12 day program going on?

Om my side today I had a half marathon planned and I don’t know what to do.
    I hate cancelling and doing an half marathon was a winter goal I had in mind.
    On the other side, i have a persistant headache for 3 days and not feeling my best. Half of my colleagues have covid.

I am sur I cqn finish the race if I go slowly. But don’t know if I will take pleasure nor if I will regret…
    If I do it I have to go in one hour.

🤔🤯
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    I am on day 5 of the 12 day program and all is well. Am surprised that I am not in withdrawals with no animal protein such as beef, chicken or turkey especially at dinner. Now to get through our anniversary on Monday and Christmas and all should be ok.

Am looking on line for a few receipes especially soups or stews that are vegetarian as I really like that in the winter but am enjoying the salads a bit better. I know the veggys would increase if I had homemade soup or stews on these cold days.

m2lqzdq3n68z.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Love soup. Definitely a good idea in winter.
  • henridw2095
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @Marilynsretired I’m glad it’s going well. I love soup too. I made lentil soup twice last week (very simple: lentils, potatoes, onion and garlic) and was impressed by the amount of protein in the dish. I’m now looking for more lentil stew (and maybe lentil salad) recipes.

I will try this next week I think:
    https://www.themediterraneandish.com/vegan-lentil-soup-recipe/#wprm-recipe-container-15487

it sounds like salt/broth is optional in this dish and there are a lot if spices to add flavor.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    There's a trick IMO for "creamy" soups that can be helpful: Blending in soft tofu, and/or beans of a blend-y color to other ingredients. (White beans, like navy or great northern or white kidney beans are good in something like pumpkin or squash soup, for example. Red kidney beans or pintos might be more complementary to something tomato-y.)

I've made pumpkin or squash or sweet-potato soup with blended-in tofu/white beans, usually with either a warm smoky spice (chipotle powder or smoked paprika) or sage to season, plus some caramelized onions and a bit of garlic. Adding a calorie-manageable amount of shelled pumpkin or sunflower seeds, blended in or sprinkled on top, is nice.

There are a bunch of good squash or sweet potato stews and soups easily found via web search; I like the ones with peanuts or peanut butter especially much (could use defatted peanut butter powder to reduce the calories). Any of the blended ones would become a decent protein portion with some tofu blended in, and the flavorings increased a bit to compensate for that added volume.

A similar thing I made and liked was this: https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252458/sweet-potato-peanut-bisque/

Can you tell that I really, really like squash? :D
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Thanks for posting the last 2 links re soups - going to give them both a try.
    Today is day 6 and all is well - am enjoying the salads I have been eating but due to it being winter I think soups and stew would be better - just sound so much warmer for this time of year.
    Tomorrow being our 40th anniversary we are going to have spaghetti - I have a receipe fromthe 12 day program that John McDougal has in his book and will make it (husband is going to balk at having mushrooms in it but that will be ok) He will make beef meat balls for him and our daughter.

Didn't go to church this morning - so strange not go to - miss the fellowship - but our daughter has been down with a cold all week and I feel like I might be getting it so we are staying in where it is warm.

rhoazvud5ys7.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    40th anniversary is that your birthday or the time you are married ?
    I am sorry, not being English native I am not sure.

I hope your daughter gets weel soon.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    40th anniversary = we are now married 40 years.

qqjbnk0xtxft.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    congrats @Marilynsretired a 40-year marriage is a great success!!!
  • Maya440
    Options
    Yes indeed ! Congratulations !
    I hope I get there. For us it is 22 years together of which I am already proud.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    2kcc1uf6dqna.jpeg