Chat room - what's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Thanks @takinitalloff
    Making him laugh seems such a good idea but not so easy. I am usually quite patient and don’t loose temper easily. Mostly I just ignore him sulking and continue talking to him gently even if there is no sound from him.
    But this morning he HAD to go to school… that was really not comfortable.

We have had a good discussion tonight and he said “since mom annoyed me yesterday evening, I wanted to annoy her”.
    Well I suspected that lol.
    We have find a compromise for the thing that annoyed him for the future and tried to explain that discussing with us was the best way forwards…

He is going to be 14 in February so I have some years to look forward to 😅😅
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,084 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Maya440 wrote: »
    But this morning he HAD to go to school… that was really not comfortable.

We have had a good discussion tonight and he said “since mom annoyed me yesterday evening, I wanted to annoy her”.
    Well I suspected that lol.

Haha well in that case, you can flip the script by not being annoyed. Walk away if you have to, at almost 14 years old he knows that he needs to go to school, and you can choose to let him deal with the consequences of missing school if he decides to be annoying ;) But you can't annoy someone who doesn't play along, you know?

Just to be clear, I'm not telling you how to raise your kiddo. Just because you asked for advice. My point is that with this kind of power struggle, doing the unexpected can defuse the situation because everyone's prepared for battle and you can turn that dynamic on its head by refusing to engage in the fight. I'm glad you had a good talk and hopefully he learned something useful from the event, too :)
  • Maya440
    Options
    I like very much this exchange, it helps. And you're very good with words, make me smile often.

Yes, I think he learned something. Me too. I believe I would have let him not going to school eventually but that was clearly annoying me. As you pointed out, using strength was not an option. Next time, I will try to actually ignore his tentative to annoy me and let him face the consequences.

Yesterday at the moment to go to bed, I tickled him and he laughed. Then we hugged. Which he obviously found too long but it was, oh so good, for mom ;)
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone -

I don't have any insights into dealing with teenagers, but was a difficult teenager myself. I tried to get out of school for about two years straight by saying I have headaches, but it almost never worked. I also didn't do any homework for several years. In retrospect, I wish my parents would have talked to me about what's wrong with going to school rather than just telling me that I have to go - I would possibly not have wasted as much time sabotaging myself if we would have gotten to the bottom of the problem. In my case, I probably wasn't feeling engaged, interested, or challenged and all of that could have been fixed. Anyhow, I turned out alright in the end.

Heading on my trip today and will see how it goes. My flight is in the late evening, so I'll eat dinner at home and skip the food on the plane. I'll pack a snack for breakfast or might eat the breakfast. I'll be staying at my sister's the first night and she knows I'm tracking and is on board (she's tracked in the past). We're also going to get groceries for me to carry to my parents. Since I'm the only vegan in my family, they're used to me being semi-independent food-wise. For exercise, I plan to do some bodyweight stuff, yoga, walking, and will carry my resistance band. It's a short trip...
  • Maya440
    Options
    My sister was a nightmare for my parents and I believe I compensated being really easy...

ENJOY your trip and your family @henridw2095
    I am sure you will make the good choices for your health and if a meal is not ideal... well it is only 1 meal and 1 short trip, it is not going to derail you.
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,504 Member
    Options
    1qkc0yb1eyxj.jpeg
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've not been on mfp for a bit, life has become very busy & logging sometimes takes too much time (especially when cooking 2-3 separate dinners for the family!) I have been good though, not snacking, watching my portion sizes, taking my supplements, etc. The scale has gone down, so that is brilliant! I find logging helps me recognise what I'm lacking though, especially protein which I still feel like I should improve.

Hope everyone is getting over their colds, flu & surgery and getting ready for the festive season.

What are you all having for your Christmas Dinner? I saw a recipe for a Mushroom Wellington which looked delicious so I might trial it beforehand to see how it turns out.
  • Maya440
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Yeah welcome back 🥰
    Congrats on the weight loss.

I am finally feeling normal and my old self again. Today I went for a run with a friend and the weather is very cold and sunny. This was so good 🤩🤩🤩

For Christmas we will go to my parents in law so I have no idea what we gonna have for dinner. I must say it’s not very important for me. I will eat the vegetables that are available and certainly a bit of crackers and crisps and maybe there will be squash soup or mushrooms toast or similar. I love Christmas but what I mostly love about Christmas is the atmosphere and the warm feeling it gives me to be with the family so I don’t really think about food I just see what is there.
    Also, I don’t really like the food that we eat in winter. We try to eat seasonal food and that means leeks, mushrooms, carrots, squash and kale… I’m under the impression that I have already cooked all the variation you can think of with those veggies 😂😂

Yesterday we had friends and I made a Nazi Goreng with peanuts and carrots, pack choy, tofu and eggs (optional). It was a receipt from Anna Jones and this was absolutely delicious. I can send it on the appropriate post if you are interested ?
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    cjcm9648pn34.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    0cbcpot4p58d.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Good morning friends !

I had such a good night of sleep 😍😍😍
    I feel good in my skin. Energised. Weight this morning is 66,4kg. It didn’t budge since Friday morning which is quite an achievement with the weekend we have had.

The last days, I have snacked a lot on bread and chocolate.
    I don’t want forbidden food but I do want those to be more limited.
    I don’t work on Mondays so I will batch cook this morning:
    - overnight oats
    - Savory oats
    - Steamed potatoes
    - Lentils and sweet potato korma
    - Soup

The oats should help me to have better snacks.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    itfb9ooes4hl.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Batch cooking on Monday is working so far, I ate mostly healthy food both yesterday and today.
    I slept very well also, this is great.

Eva, I hope you enjoy your trip in Germany. I suppose the weather is similar to the one I have in Belgium, rainy snow, cold, humid…
  • henridw2095
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Yes, weather where I'm at (just North of the winter mayhem) is around freezing, grey, and either snowing or raining. I am doing well with daily walks and either yoga or mobility training. Food is good enough and trackable, but nothing to look at!

I love batch cooking but have not been great at it recently. Something to do next weekend. I did prepare Muesli to eat here every day (just mixed quick cooking rolled oats, raisins and unsalted mixed nuts, with a bit of cinnamon to eat with plant milk and fruit in the morning).
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    yzqglv9ryhdk.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    zk9b02kujs10.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    I was wondering about calcium.
    For those of you who are in the UAC group, I was asking for tips again calf cramps and I got the answer that it could be due to a lack of calcium.

I was already mindful to water, potassium and magnesium.
    But not calcium.

I am vegetarian but I don't eat that much dairy. Only at restaurants or friends.

@henridw2095 I see in the post on nutrients that you take a supplement.
    What about the others ? Do you supplement as well ?

I eat a lot of broccoli (200g certainly 5x/week) and green veggies (green peas, brussels sprout, kale or spinach) and a little bit of soy product (soy yogurt or melk) but otherwise don't know where the calcium in my diet would come from.
  • henridw2095
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi Maya @Maya440 , sorry this is happening. I will make a new discussion on calcium, since this is an area I am actively researching. I think it's nice to have this as a new topic, since it's a tricky and important one. Having it separate, we can add research and chime in. Eventually, it can go into the resources (I wasn't confident enough in the research to post it there yet).

I love that you're taking potatoes on your bike rides by the way. Personally, I love potatoes too. When I used to run, I never liked long runs because of the need to fuel and I could not make myself eat gels. I used to pack energy balls and have considered packing sandwiches...I'm getting close to the weight I want to start running at again - it's possible I'll be there by the end of January. But I doubt I want to run more than 10k again, it's too time consuming. Right now I think I'll eventually do 2x 5k during the week and 10k on the weekend (after a longer period of ramping up to distance).
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    o8iso1qlk78t.jpg
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    q8i5f4s1kfur.jpg