Marilynsretired Posts: 5,454 Member
    Options
    7y6tzfaxnp9f.jpg
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 906 Member
    edited January 16
    Options
    Don't apologize !!
    It is nice to get some news even if you don't feel your best at the moment.

I was also quite defeated in regards to my weight - going up and 2kg above maintenance now.
    But I am feeling better. The week-end was fabulous ! I managed the food quite correctly. No deficit but stayed within maintenance calories.

This week, I am at a work seminar. There is food available literally every where. I have skipped the breakfast to sleep half an hour more. I had some food around 10 a.m. (mix of healthy food and not so healthy one) then a generous lunch and again some snacking in the afternoon. The day finished at 8pm (Hugh) and there was a drink with appetizers until 9pm.
    Now all my colleagues are having dinner but I said I was too tired and I am in my hotel room. So happy I took this decision ! I am not hungry anymore, I ate my calorie budget and I will be able to read and go to bed early.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    Got weighed officially today = down 3.3 pounds in the week. Goal for January was to lose 3 pounds so have made that goal - now to work on keeping it off and see if I can add one more poundd to it.

ze40lubni5as.jpg
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 901 Member
    edited January 17
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 That's a lot to deal with and you're being very caring about your BIL's wellbeing. Thanks for sharing. My parents are aging and it's been hard to watch from afar (and when visiting). Last year, I ended up eating my feelings about the situation and gained 10 pounds before I decided it's time to take better care of myself (since life will probably not get any easier).

@Marilynsretired congrats on the weight loss and doing what needs to be done! Totally agreed on that last quote!

@Maya440 if you feel good - maybe that's a good weight for you? Well done skipping out on unwanted overeating.

I've been busy. It's very cold here right now (-20C/-7F) - my new veggie box arrived with frozen lettuce and cilantro (most of which had to be thrown away). I would have complained, but they're probably suffering enough with produce freezing on the delivery truck. Most of the vegetables were ok (the bok choy had a bit of frost bite). I've been ok with food (fell back on foods I can rely on), but had to skip two gym days to deal with a work deadline. Anyhow, tomorrow, I'll figure out how to get it done.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    tx99nk2g569t.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Congrats @Marilynsretired on your weight loss. And an monthly objective achieved in half the time predicted !

@henridw2095 I am ok at this weight but I don't feel as I would like to. Some of my clothes are definitely too tight and I am too heavy when running.

I weighted myself this morning and I didn't put on weight during the seminar. With all the food that was available, it is already an achievement. I am still 2kg above my maintenance range as on Monday.
    Now it is time to work to go back into my maintenance range.
    1st objective: no more pass days (meaning at minimum I respect my calorie goal every day)
    2nd objective: on a weekly average, being 700kcal under my calorie goal.

It would produce a very slow weight loss but I am a bit afraid of going back to restricting/bingeing so I will start this way.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Maya440 I like your plan. I still have 8-9 pounds to lose and my weight loss has slowed for some reason, at the same deficit. It’s still moving, but quite slowly. I‘m not sure if it’s a monthly quirk or if I burn fewer calories, but I‘ll just lose more slowly if needed, since I don’t want to eat less. Feeling deprived will lead to poor choices for me as well (including evening snacking), which is worse than slow weight loss.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    heizog0rdm6x.jpg
  • Maya440
    Options
    Hello hello !

Yes going slowly is great. We have the life in front of us ahah.

I had an excellent day today. I ran 14km in the snow ! It was a race with friends otherwise I would never have done so much. At the end my knie and ankle hurted but I think it was more due to the cold and tiredness than actual injury.
    Tomorrow I have planned to go for a swim session followed by a strength session. So that should be ok for my knies. If I feel I need it I can rest on Monday and/or Tuesday.

On the nutrition front I did well especially with the run.
    - chocolate banana omelet
    - stemed potatoes with raw carrots and red cabbage, cooked bell peppers + almonds
    - after the run, !1 banana, 1 apple, bretzels, Brazil nuts
    - cheese and raw fennel then pasta with steamed brocoli and spinach, basic cashew sauce. A handful of cereals.

I have pre-packed the cereals in 40g portions. It should help me not to eat too much of them in the coming days...
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,349 Member
    Options
    I own that I cannot see as plainly as others do, and as I should wish to do, evidence of design and beneficence on all sides of us. There seems to me too much misery in the world. I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created the Ichneumonidae with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of caterpillars, or that a cat should play with mice. -Charles Darwin, naturalist and author (12 Feb 1809-1882) [Ichneumonidae: The family of parasitic wasps that deposit eggs inside or on top of the larvae of other insects. Once hatched, the ichneumonid larva slowly eats its host alive from inside out.]
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I wrote this for another group because someone asked me about some of my recent walks. I figured I might as well share it here too. We've had some really bad winter storms - they say the worst in three decades. One person died when their car started to slide, they got out and tried to stop it, they got pinned between the car and a rock, and they froze to death. Three adults and a baby were in a car that a big branch fell on bringing a power line down with it. The adults exited the car and were electrocuted to death. A woman died when a tree fell on an RV and it caught fire. It's been bad. The authorities sent out warnings to please don't go on the roads, and probably stay home because both EMS and the hospital were overwhelmed with crashes and slip/fall injuries. One man died in a slip/fall injury because he went out literally, "...to see just how slippery it was."

The ice started to melt, so the rivers rose.

This is what I saw the last couple days....

I seem to keep taking walks. I grabbed a few images along the way. The ice has mostly melted off except in sheltered areas. The rivers have come up. Yesterday's walk was in part to do some reconnaissance and see how much garbage was going into the rivers from the camps and elsewhere. I am sad to report that there was a lot. Bagged garbage. Empty beverage containers. Garbage cans. Propane bottles. You name it.

lnzs1h7hjvb3.jpg
    86pct6cep7dy.jpg
    f21g3mwlrc6b.jpg
    fv9mwsv4khz8.jpg
    fvnxoa3rmagh.jpg
    ub80c02pvf6c.jpg

I walked back south along the highway, then down a side street and through the cemetery where I could look down on an old area that at one point was connected to the river and is now called a lake. It really only has water in the winter. I walked down into the park, but I couldn't even get into the parking lot. The river was flowing in the lot. It was actually pretty interesting because the river flows up into the parking area and then up the road into the park, and only from there does it flow what would otherwise be "upstream" into the sports fields. I was wearing muck boots, and I tried to find a shallow way across to get out to the fields and walk some more, but I couldn't find a way to get through that wouldn't have flooded my boots. I considered walking home and putting on some waders and going back. Instead I got on my bike.

I rode to the south entrance to the park, then rode the bike path up to about a place about a half mile from my house that I was maybe 20 yards from during my walk - less than a half mile from my house. I rode about three miles to get to a place a half mile from my house. I had to ride about a half mile through some slush where the paved path is protected by trees. That was "interesting." The river was up for sure. Note that sign; "Boat and trailer parking only." Yesterday it was only available for boats.

a7hxpni7w7ai.jpg
    li8lx7a3psuq.jpg

On the way home, instead of going back out to the street from the park, I continued on the paved path to the south end to the City Limit. There was one small area of inundation, but I was pretty sure I could ride through it without getting my feet wet. Yep. Probably about four inches deep. I went all the way to the City Limit, then ducked back out onto the street system and worked my way back. I stopped several times to observe things and eventually to knock on the door of a house that had a truck parked outside with the headlights on and the doors locked. No answer. Bummer. My hands eventually warmed up about five minutes or so before I got home. Total about 7.5 miles.

Today I walked downtown to check mail, stopped at a thrift shop on the way home, and walked back down to the park. The water level was falling. You could get almost to the boat ramp, but part of the paved trails were still under water. Two portable toilets were missing - probably downstream. Very sad. Also a portable hand washing station.

There was a little stick that had washed up against the picnic tables there.

jdcjy6u91ccv.jpg
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 just wanted to ask if everything is going OK? It can feel like a big life changing event & be more worrying than you actually admit to yourself. We built an annex for my MIL &FIL 6yrs ago to cope with elder care. This last month we've been on rota as FIL has been stuck in hospital and 3x daily trips there with MIL has pretty much taken over our life for the mo (hence why I'm quiet). Equally though...my mum is in first stages of dementia too. It's so upsetting to see the person you know disappearing 😞 You're doing the nicest & kindest thing bringing your BIL home to assist with his care. My hope is to build another annex on the opposite side of the house for my mum & dad, so dad still feels like he has his own space but we can help him look after mum. It's a lot for one person to deal with. Wishing you all the best with your next chapter.
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    rry2ht6d57jp.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    “We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

― Richard Dawkins
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    “Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man?”

― Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Maya440
    Options
    Dear both, while we appreciate all words of comfort. I believe this discussion is about nutrition (and weight loss) ...

Good day today for me.
    A peaceful week ahead.

What are your plans ? @henridw2095 do you have less work ?
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Maya440 wrote: »
    Dear both, while we appreciate all words of comfort. I believe this discussion is about nutrition (and weight loss) ...

Good day today for me.
    A peaceful week ahead.

What are your plans ? @henridw2095 do you have less work ?

Thank you @Maya440!

I couldn't agree more. It would please me to no end if we could keep it on topic. We're here to share information and experiences about plant based nutrition, and as you suggest, weight management is probably also appropriate, whether it's loss or maintenance.

As a newer member of this group, I very much thank you for your post.

For some good news over here, I seem to have lost just a bit more than six pounds since the first of the year. I was at a "healthy weight," but I was near the top or over my maintenance range. Plenty of plant-based foods helped as did long walks, strength training, and paying attention to HOW MUCH I was eating. In other good news, my bio-impedence analysis function on my scale tells me that I've lost a few percent fat. I know those devices are notoriously inaccurate as far as the absolute number, but I think using them to assess trends is still valid. Because I'm a data nerd, I use my mass and body fat percentage to estimate the pounds of fat I'm carrying. I'm pleased that I've lost just about six pounds of fat. That suggests that during this short period of weight loss that really would be unhealthy over a long term, I didn't lose much muscle. Keeping adequate plant-based protein (and for me a little fish) and strength training probably helped.

I'm going to celebrate by going to the gym now that the ice is all melted and it's safe out.
  • henridw2095
    edited January 22
    Options
    @Maya440 thanks for keeping us on topic. Life obviously sometimes spills over, especially during health crises. I found religion to be a tricky topic; also on the accountability challenge Maya and I participate in, where members often mention their religious beliefs and activities. I think at least one member unfriended me after I responded to a prompt regarding our holiday traditions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I will be very busy for at least a few months - there are a few big projects I need to finish at work. Staying on track will need planning since I know that getting too busy and exhausted can derail me. Yesterday I was cooking to use up vegetables before my new veggie delivery today. Cooking a few meals reminded me how nice it is to have cooked food on hand and I decided to start meal prepping again.

My new veggie box is here; for some reason, the radishes were again frozen, and I had to eat them on the spot. I had a Koginut squash in my box, apparently a cross between a kabocha squash and butternut squash, and am excited to cook it. I will probably slice it and roast it without much spice to see what the flavor is.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Maya440 also interesting to hear your take on protein intake in the UAC thread. Protein is so overhyped, and it's reassuring to hear that your intake is well below some of the often-floated recommendations. I seem to remember that your body composition was pretty amazing 🤩🤩 and I have read similar thoughts by Brendan Brazier and some microbiome doctors (i.e. to not overthink the protein). I have upped my protein recently, mainly to experiment, but it's a pain and I have not lost weight since then (or built more muscle, although I take my personal body fat scale data with a massive grain of salt). I also don't feel better or less hungry. I can easily hit 65-80 g per day without trying, but after that, it requires effort.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @henridw2095 and @Maya440

I'd love to hear a redux on what you're learning about protein. Back in 7th grade, that consumer reports article that encouraged me to try to forego meat (which I did for decades) showed that we can get all the protein we need from plants. It went on to explain how most Americans at least ate far more protein than they needed. Excess protein is extra work for our kidneys.

That was a long time ago, and even today the US RDA for protein is 0.36 grams per pound of body weight (0.8 grams per Kg). I am fairly certain that's total body mass, not lean mass. That is indeed pretty easy to meet. I see plenty of recommendations for 0.8 to 1.2 grams per pound is the "Holy Grail." Sorry. Couldn't resist :wink:

That's a huge difference. Is it possible some people just see the 0.8 grams per kilogram and neglect to recognize that a Kg is 2.2 pounds? Or is it possible that the US RDA is wrong? I bet the optimal amount is probably somewhere between 0.4 and 0.8, and it might be closer to the low end except for body building. Another exception we know is that the number can increase with age as our bodies have a little harder time assimilating it.

Anyway, I'm interested in a synopsis of what you've been reading if you have time.

I do use a supplement on days I do strength training with the expectation that it might aid in muscle repair from my workout. Otherwise I just eat. Only recently have I even been paying much attention to the number. One advantage of MFP Premium is being able to set a hard goal in grams. I am not positive, but I think that goal won't increase with increased calorie allowance from exercise. It sure does if protein is set as a percent of calories!