What is your biggest non-physical challenge?

Options
Grimmerdhore
Grimmerdhore Posts: 66 Member
The non-physical challenge I face most frequently is insomnia. It is very persistent. But I have begun taking small steps in overcoming this challenge.
  1. Turn off all social media at least one hour before bed.
  2. Discontinue all mental activities at least one hour before bed (this includes reading books, studies, working on issues/problems, or online activities, etc.).
  3. Avoiding physically challenging activities at least one hour before bed.
  4. Perform 9p.m. routine (making sure all the doors and windows are locked, car locked)
  5. Perform bedtime routine (washing face, brushing teeth, brushing hair, applying cologne, etc.)
  6. Check my phone alarms and alerts.
  7. Refuse to use phone after I get into bed.
  8. Get up out of bed when the alarm sounds (usually 7 a.m.)

It took me about 2 weeks of deliberate effort to finally begin doing these things consistently. I started with just one or two of these and then added others as I began to identify more things that were making it difficult to fall asleep.

These steps have proven very effective in helping me fall asleep at a reasonable hour (before midnight). I have noticed that getting up when the alarm sounds (regardless of when I fell asleep) gives me more energy throughout the day. This really works for me.

What is your biggest non-physical challenge, and how do you overcome it?

Replies

• Grimmerdhore
    Options
    Today my greatest non-physical challenge is frustration. I don't know why today has been so bothersome, but it definitely was. My wife kept getting frustrated with me, and I don't know why. I tried for 2 days to get ready for the weekend, and when nothing happened in time, I got frustrated. I was all excited about my weekly zoom meeting this evening, and it wound up being a total waste of time, so I got frustrated and abandoned the meeting.

Usually when I get this frustrated and upset, I turn to sweets. Today, I refuse to do that. I'm just going to try to relax and find peace again. Maybe I'll just watch another episode of The Waltons (one of my favorite TV shows).
  • Grimmerdhore
    Options
    Lately I have been struggling to sleep again. I have only been sleeping every other night, so in six days I only slept 3 nights. The other 3 nights I was awake all night. Fortunately I was able to be productive during those hours and completed a lot of study. I'm not in University or anything, I just really enjoy digging deeper into many things. Last night was the first time I have slept two nights in a row since last week. It sure felt good.