Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2024

Replies

• DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,979 Member
    Saturday steps
  • DaffyGirl88
    Good morning all! I know that I haven't participated as much as I would like, with the house problem and my MIL passing away it feels like I've spent the last two months in the car. 😞 It's been all I could do some days to post my steps. With all of the traveling, eating poorly and not exercising I've gained almost 10 pounds since early June. Hoping to get back into a groove starting tomorrow. Yes, I am driving again today. 😕

Like the others I enjoy reading your posts. I rarely reply from my phone (old eyes and fat fingers) so typically only post during the week when I'm at my desk.

I wouldn't have thought the news feed change would affect the forum participation. 🤷‍♀️ I rarely went to the feed because it was another place I had to click on. I'm already in 3 groups here so just go to those groups. I guess I am in the minority there Not surprised. 😂

Anywho, long winded way of saying that your posts are read and appreciated, especially when we don't have a chance to post ourselves. I think groups like these sort of ebb and flow with people coming and going. We appreciate you @Pupowl and @jessicakrall8 being our anchors. 💕
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 1,146 Member
    n1bx52w74edw.png
    s54f5rvczcnl.png
    hyt4obcv705q.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    ztsteedok14z.png

By Pounds
    k490ubuis6t6.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    0t6n6vzetyfp.png

By Pounds
    alqf70y2y00y.png

Honorable Mentions
    s6wxhqazlggv.png

Team Winners
    38zf34wzyabc.png

Percentage of Members in the Green!
    495gp774a92h.png
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,436 Member
    Congratulations on leading the Shape Shifter team this week @Krysless2, @cre804, and @frankwbrown! At a time when the overall F2F group gained weight, you all managed to represent us in the winning categories — lost pounds, percentage of body weight, honorable mention, etc. — Keep up the good work!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,839 Member
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Fri 7/26: 10,392
    Sat 7/27: 10,270
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,436 Member
    Hi Shape Shifters! I’m back from my camping trip and appreciate everyone reflecting on what we can contribute and get out of this community forum space. I didn’t use the news feed very often because it felt limited to me. Most people just seemed to post superficial comments like — “way to go” or “good burn.” Maybe I wasn’t creative enough to come up with quick motivating comments, but I feel more connected to this group when there is an active core of people sharing ideas, triumphs, and tribulation. I agree that there’s been less interaction lately, with most updates documenting steps or weigh in reports.

So, I welcome the opportunity for self-reflection and ideas for reinvigorating the group.

We don’t really need the MFP staff to provide another forum if we shape the community and interaction to meet our needs. In fact, I like having one less place I feel obligated to visit in order to support MFP friends/ members. I think this space can be anything we decide to make it.

What can we do to make this space more enjoyable, motivating, or [fill in the blank here about what would better fulfill your vision or need]?

When I was one of the team motivators, I posed some questions to the group. I’ll try to dig up those responses so we can see if they still resonate with the current Shape Shifters. The group definitely changes over time as people meet their goal or leave for other reasons. Thanks to everyone who is reflecting on what we each bring to the group, and what we value about it. For me, it’s a way to intentionally spend some time thinking about my vision of the person I want to be in terms of nutrition and daily movement.

I used to look at my weekly tracking data once a week and check my progress toward my goals. So, I’d like to revisit that habit again to see if it helps. This year, I set goals for each of the 8 dimensions of wellness. As a result, I’ve been concentrating on other areas of my life I want to improve and it’s interfered with my physical health goals, which I reflect on here. I set up separate calls with a friend and another person I met through an alumni network for accountability in the area of my financial wellbeing. I also joined a class for entrepreneurs since it’s been a real learning curve for me to move from public service and non-profit work to establishing my own consulting business. I’m not sure if it’s the right path for me because I have trouble with business development and asking for money, but those skills are absolutely necessary for spreading the work I really believe in for making a positive difference in the lives of children, families, and communities.

Anyway, I know we all have competing interests, commitments, and obligations that require our time and attention. So, I try to keep my comments here focused on physical health, nutrition, and exercise. Is anyone interested in the other struggles I face exploring and shaping my identity now that my children are adults and nobody wants to hire a 58 year old woman despite feeling I have a lot of experiences to contribute? If so, I have plenty of jumbled thoughts and insecurities I’m working through 🙃 but the topics aren’t really on point for this forum — as many of us chase that elusive life balance!

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,433 Member
    Heads up, Garmin users. I just happened to learn this today. In honor of the Olympics, Garmin has introduced a few challenges that run from July 26th to August 11th. There are challenges for running, cycling, swimming and strength training. You can read about them here:
    https://blog.garminbadges.com/2024/07/august-2024-challenges-and-badges.html

That page also mentions all the upcoming challenges for August, but those won't appear in Garmin Connect for a few more days. When they do, be sure to check out the challenge named Therabody Sleep Challenge. That's something we can all do pretty easily. 😂

Thanks for the info @frankwbrown ...I'm already working on the Stage 3 Walking one...nearly halfway done with it. Will look for the Olympic-inspired Strength one...appreciate your efforts in keeping us informed.

Love the guitar picture! Wow, that was an awesome crafty project...gave ya'll some new memories together too...that's terrific!
    Jessica
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited July 28
    To continue on with the conversation, I'm sorry I haven't been more engaged as the Team Motivator
    So as we come to the end of July, that means August is the last month of the 3rd Quarter and that much closer to the end of 2024
    How are you doing with the goals you have set? Do you set new goals every month? Or do you continue with the ones you are working on?
    Here's an article on Setting Goals

https://www.betterup.com/blog/how-to-set-goals-and-achieve-them

Let us know what you do to keep going, give your goals a refresh and where you are with them
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,861 Member
    7/27-12,134

I'm shocked it isn't more, I walked around the farmers market, got called into work.. AGIAN, then took the family to the hot air balloon festival, that's a lot of walking, lol. Maybe my watch didn't pick up all my steps.

Anyways, I'm trying to do intermittent fasting again I tend to do better if I don't start eating until lunch time. It seems if I start eating earlier, I just feel hungry and have the munchies all day
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,465 Member
    edited July 28
    I purchased Daisy brand 2% Cottage Cheese from Costco, good price... however I can't stomach the texture, seems as if they added some sour cream to it... just too creamy. I love Knudson's with chopped cucumber, salt & pepper for lunch... but this one just doesn't work for me.

I don't want to waste it. Does anyone have any ideas what I can make with it? I saw a cheesecake recipe that sounds good... but I am hoping for something more calorie friendly :)

@looneycatblue You can use cottage cheese instead of ricotta in lasagna, either with meat or veggies...hope this helps. Only thing I could think of...
    Jess

I ended up making the cheesecake, it was egh... :s might have been better if I had used granulated sugar as it called for, thought I had some but was out and substituted powdered sugar... I still have 1.5 cups left to use up, might try making a smoothy with it. B)
  • looneycatblue
    Steps 🚶‍♀️
    Wed 7/24 6,514
    Thu 7/25 6,965
    Fri 7/26 5,449
    Sat 7/27 10,192 Now that's more like it!
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue
    Sun, Jul 28
    PW: 168.8
    CW: 167.4 :)
    This week's reflection: I've been really focused this week on water, logging, sleep and getting some steps in... seems like it is paying off. B)
  • DaffyGirl88
    Congratulations on leading the Shape Shifter team this week @Krysless2, @cre804, and @frankwbrown! At a time when the overall F2F group gained weight, you all managed to represent us in the winning categories — lost pounds, percentage of body weight, honorable mention, etc. — Keep up the good work!

Way to go Krystal!! :)
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 388 Member
    Cyncia85
    No change in my weight.
    PW = 194.4
    CW = 194.4
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 128 Member
    CasandraW wrote: »
    @ganival 1gr/lb would be a lot of protein

A weight loss and metabolic doctor I saw set mine at 120-188g
    That’s .5-.8 gr/lb his preference is to keep it close to .8 gr / lb when you have a lot of weight to lose or are trying to build muscle.

I also can’t stand cottage cheese. I eat a lot of Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese and chicken. When I don’t have enough protein I make a protein shake using protein powder, water and frozen mixed fruit.

I struggle to get 100 g most days, but I do find on the days I try hard that I have no interest in snacking or snacky carbs. Protein really curbs my hunger. I also do yogurt and eggs, and a protein shake when I remember. Is there a brand you like

@Pupowl i would def like to view your YT channel!

someone above asked what we'd like to get out of the group and for me it's primarily health, fitness, nutrition, weight - talk, tips, struggles, wins, support, etc... i find alot of the posts are social, vacations, life events, and when there isn't that connection to "shape shifting" I will scroll past, but sometimes i also feel like i'm interrupting a social conversation with health/weight talk so I keep my updates to weigh in day. i understand completely why some are in need of social connection, but it's not the main reason i'm here. sometimes i will go over to the weekly challenge thread or even the main MFP forums for more focused reading.

i like the idea someone mentioned of having thought topics/questions around health and i will like to engage.
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 128 Member
    Well I officially have lost 5lbs in 3 weeks due to my new workout program using only body weight and flushing out inflammation- I wore a skirt today to church that I haven't been able to fit in for over 3 years
    I'm pretty proud I was able to finally get going again it's been very hard & frustrating to not be able to lose weight just the same 2lbs on & off

Well done! I also have a stack of clothes that I can’t wait to fit into again. How often do you do the workout?
  • DaffyGirl88
    Sunday steps

@Pupowl I love that orange flower!

@LaurieWrobo well done!!
This discussion has been closed.