Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2024

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited August 1
    Good morning

A little over on calories and under on steps, I think there's a connection there. 🤔😁

😂🤣😂

In my view, 8,249 is a solid number of steps @DaffyGirl88. It’s insightful to see the pattern and act on what you’re learning about your own experience though. Good for you — insightful AND funny!

I was playing pickup soccer with some women last night and heard the women on the USA team won their match against Australia. I hope your Royal Australian Air Force colleagues took it in stride. It was a close score so I’m guessing it was an exciting match to watch together. A little rivalry can make it more interesting and fun, I think — as long as everyone is a good sport!

My father was in the Winter Olympics and coached a number of national teams (World Cup, Olympic teams, junior levels). That was years ago (20+ years!) but I still have vivid memories of the friendly and electric atmosphere of the international competitions. Our family experience had its highs and lows but it was always memorable! The athletes are amazing and work so hard over so many grueling training hours.

I usually find myself cheering for the underdog or the first-time medalist but I’m in awe of all the dedication and skill each athlete brings to the sport. There are some favorite repeat athletes I like to follow for their individual character though — love Simone Biles for her strength and compassion on the mental health aspects of dealing with all the pressures. Anyway, I didn’t mean to start rambling on but thanks for prompting my meandering walk down memory lane!
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited August 1
    Good morning

A little over on calories and under on steps, I think there's a connection there. 🤔😁

😂🤣😂

In my view, 8,249 is a solid number of steps @DaffyGirl88. It’s insightful to see the pattern and act on what you’re learning about your own experience though. Good for you — insightful AND funny!

@PatriceFitnessPal Funny is my strong suit. Ask @Krysless2 how many times I've made her spit her coffee out on her monitor. 🤣🤣

And while I'm thinking about it, Happy Birthday Krystal! 🧁🥳💐
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Many of you know I enjoy rowing. The Olympics topic motivated me to share this video that my coach sent to our rowing group yesterday.

It’s an inspiring lesson in never giving up. This team clearly had a plan and followed through perfectly. I think @izzyred9400 will especially enjoy it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?si=SYSzPCBkVyUOfTUb&v=2FCOhAbsarQ&feature=youtu.be
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,916 Member
    edited August 2
    Good morning Shape Shifters. Here is my tiny recap for Wednesday. Have a lovely day everyone. <3
    [ Sleep ] 6h 55m ~ 76 score (I was in bed on time, but started to feel really sick and I couldn't sleep)
    [ Movement ] Nothing, a hot & lazy day
    [ Food ] Overate
    [ Steps ] 13.878
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited August 1
    g1rw8qkkucj9.jpg
    Happy August😊
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited August 1
    @LaurieWrobo - Thanks for sharing the article about goal setting. This year, I set a number of annual goals that align with the eight dimensions of wellness:
    1. Health/Physical,
    2. Emotional,
    3. Learning/Intellectual,
    4. Social/Relationships,
    5. Life Purpose/Spiritual,
    6. Career/Vocational,
    7. Financial, and
    8. Environmental.
    I use a project management program for work so I created a workspace to track my progress in meeting the short-term objectives. For the Health/Physical area, I try to step back and review my weekly MFP data every Friday evening or Saturday morning. I sometimes make adjustments or add to the workspace goal sheet at that time, and I focus on some of my other goals with ‘accountability buddies’ on a weekly or monthly basis. For example, my two sons are becoming more independent as they near graduation from college. So, we all developed our personal budgets for the Financial dimension and also make overall family decisions together during a monthly work meeting.

My overall goals don’t change much but I’ll set a new objective once I accomplish something. It’s always a work ‘in progress’ but it feels good to check off some of the objectives along the way. I also have a printout of 10 values I try to embody in daily life. The values help guide my decisions. I’m thinking about making a more attractive version of the values list and making it the screensaver view on my computer so I’m reminded of them each time I login. My goals are probably relatively simple compared to others so I should probably make them more aspirational. It’s never too late to dream, right!? 🧐💭🤔
  • DaffyGirl88
    Yes, thanks for the link @LaurieWrobo good article.

I typically set my goals at the beginning of the year. I break them down loosely into the following categories:
    • Financial and Career
    • Physical and Health
    • Mental and Educational
    • Social and Cultural
    • Family and Home

I have a reminder on my calendar to review them the 1st of every month. That helps to keep them in the forefront of my mind and helps me reassess where I am in meeting them. I find some easier to reach than others, like financial or the # of books I want to read this year. Others are more difficult. Unlike @PatriceFitnessPal I don't set new objectives once I cross something off. I like the look of my list being either crossed off or getting shorter. LOL I don't typically set monthly goals but decided to this month because I've gotten so far off track physically. My daily goals for August are:
    • meet or exceed my step goal
    • meet or exceed my water goal
    • be under my calorie limit

I haven't used a habit tracker in the past but may try it this month. My goal for tomorrow is to head over to the August thread and do my introduction. LOL

• CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 593 Member
    @jessicakrall8 great job!! That’s a hard one.
  • DaffyGirl88
    Good morning!

Thursday Steps

Those aren't syncing with MFP for some reason but still managed to stay within my calorie goal.

Friday weigh in
    PW: 156:1
    CW: 156.2

@jessicakrall8 great NSV!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,839 Member
    edited August 2
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Tue 7/30: 11,354
    Wed 7/31: 8,596
    Thu 8/1: 15,274

I messed up on Wednesday. I hadn't reached my 10k steps but planned to get them in that evening. However, I ended up going out for sushi with my brother and sister-in-law and my niece who was visiting from Portland (this is the niece who built her own guitar, and it's beautiful!). I woke up Thursday morning with a dread, knowing I probably fell short, ending a 20-day streak. Oh well, back to square one.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,839 Member
    frankwbrown
    July week 5
    Weigh in day: Friday, August 2
    PW: 256.0 lbs
    CW: 259.6 lbs (↑3.6 lbs; 1.41%)
    This month's LTD: (↑2.9 lbs; 1.13%)

Well, I had managed a 0.7 lb loss this month until last Friday. I might have mentioned this here, but my weight jumped up almost 5 pounds last Friday, because I changed the batteries in my scale and/or was retaining water after a Sierra Club hike on Thursday. That gain wasn't fully reflected Friday because I use a 7-day average. I'm assuming it had more to do with water weight, based on my scales readings for fat mass, lean mass and water weight, and it took days to come back down.
    So I end July almost 3 pounds heavier based on a 7-day average weight, but I'm looking forward to a good August.
    My goal has changed from a daily calorie limit or calorie deficit to simply "weigh less than yesterday". That's been true for the past 5 days. Let's see if I can make it a full month.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,863 Member
    Angmarie28
    Fridays
    Prev weight-187.6
    Current weight-188.2

Ugh, busy week and there was some stress eating. Trying hard to get back on track
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,916 Member
    @angmarie28 Missing your steps for the 27th, thanks!
  • DaffyGirl88
    Good morning!

Friday steps

Have a great weekend everyone!
This discussion has been closed.