Shape Shifters Team Chat - August 2024

Replies

• DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,966 Member
    @Pupowl I'm exhausted just reading your post! LOL
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,393 Member
    edited August 10
    The August Week 2 Group Challenge is open and ready to begin on Sunday, Aug 11th, so please join us for the Stress-Free Me Challenge! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10921646/august-week-2-group-challenge-stress-free-me-challenge#latest

See you in the chat thread!
    Jessica
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 330 Member
    Good afternoon shape shifters!

Here's my saturday weigh in

190.6 lbs

I don't know what's going on. I lowered my calories from over 1750 to 1550 in the past couple weeks, and log my food consistently and always meet my caloric goals.

I go to the gym, lift weights, increased protein intake, eat whole foods, and walk a few times a week. Then I get on the scale and I'm like 3 lbs heavier, and I don't know why. I thought it was just bloat, but like, it has been too long.

I'm not pregnant, I just got off my period 2 days ago.

• LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,422 Member
    Good afternoon shape shifters!

Here's my saturday weigh in

190.6 lbs

I don't know what's going on. I lowered my calories from over 1750 to 1550 in the past couple weeks, and log my food consistently and always meet my caloric goals.

I go to the gym, lift weights, increased protein intake, eat whole foods, and walk a few times a week. Then I get on the scale and I'm like 3 lbs heavier, and I don't know why. I thought it was just bloat, but like, it has been too long.

I'm not pregnant, I just got off my period 2 days ago.

You could be retaining water from lifting - do you mix in other things besides lifting during the week besides walking? And make sure to be drinking enough water to push out the fluid build up
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited August 11
    Missing a few weigh in, please check in asap!
    @tahm42 2x
    @lolakinks
    @TashieB24 2x
  • Pupowl
    @frankwbrown Looks beautiful! I am sure the swim in the lake was a nice reward after all that hiking.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,439 Member
    @Pupowl - I’m impressed by the way you are taking on the extra task of removing the peeling paint, sanding the walls, and re-painting. I think one of the reasons I put off tasks is due to the possibility of uncovering the layers of related tasks that emerge — like the situation you uncovered when you just wanted to move your bookcase. You seem to be taking the extra work in stride, which is inspiring me to get started with tasks I’m avoiding. The task isn’t going to get any easier by ignoring it! 🙈🫣🙈

Thanks! 🙏🏼

@DaffyGirl88 and @looneycatblue — Nice idea to support one another during the 75 day challenge. @Pupowl - I looked at the link you sent about the previous group challenge and saw that you did a fantastic job. Congratulations on sticking with it until the end! 🎉🎉🎉 I could definitely see a positive difference in your before/ after photo! Best wishes to everyone taking on the current challenge!

@tatilove1988 - I agree with @LaurieWrobo that you could be retaining water for muscle repair following your weight lifting workouts. There is a lot of good information about how to deal with water retention, like drinking extra water (as suggested), reducing sodium intake, and eating some specific foods (e.g., bananas and avocados, I think). Your body should adjust as your muscle tears repair so it’s a good idea to keep monitoring what’s working and not working. Hang in there!

What a beautiful hike @frankwbrown. Thanks for sharing the photos and I hope your sore muscles recover quickly! ❤️‍🩹 Great work!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,487 Member
    n1bx52w74edw.png
    oort3uknuv54.png
    awry3qsl1anv.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    a4sp1k06x6q7.png

By Pounds
    70jyzgtf9mrr.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    p6ube1zkik7j.png

By Pounds
    g6u2g20sx833.png
    1d5zjjgmzmm2.png

Team Winners
    do9qbxqxsc6w.png

Percentage of Members in the Green!
    e0xzq2ulwjkj.png
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,465 Member
    Good morning all!

Great day on my first day of 75 soft and ready to get a jump on day 2. The question is what will day 15, 27, or 36 look like. 🙃
    Great Day DaffyGirl88!
    75 Soft Challenge Rules
    Day 1, 8/10
    1. Eat well and only drink alcohol on social occasions. - Ate well, did not indulge in A.
    2. Train for 45 minutes every day, with one day a week for active recovery. - Took a nice 1 hour+ walk in the morning... wiped out after that.
    3. Drink three liters of water a day. My goal 80-100 oz... drank 100 oz
    4. Read 10 pages of any book a day. - Kinda, read through a magazine, and then opened my book when I went to bed, but only got though a couple of pages. I was really tired.

I'm only posting Day 1 here with some details... I won't fill up this group with my daily's. I think I will enter these on the monthly / daily goals google doc that we already have.

Started off right today, got my walk in earlier before it got too hot... (my mistake yesterday).
  • looneycatblue
    Can someone tell me where I can find the Habit Tracker for August?
    Thank you.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue
    Sun, Aug 11th
    PW: 169.6
    CW: 168.6 better :)
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue - Steps
    8/8 4,319
    8/9 8,504
    8/10 9,382
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited August 11
    It’s been fun and motivating to follow the Olympics. The athletes train so hard for so long, and make many sacrifices. I was happy that Noah Lyles won the gold in the 100 meter race because he’s worked diligently to improve his starts, but I felt badly that he wasn’t healthy enough to compete as well as usual in the 200 meter race, which has been his best event.

I don’t like athletes’ showboating, especially elaborate celebrations after a touchdown before they even win the game in American football. To me, it feels a bit unsportsmanlike and I prefer when the athletes let their skills - and the scoreboard - demonstrate their success. But Noah Lyles went to high school with my sons and I know he has struggled with depression, so he has given me new insight on self-celebration. Now, I see that he might need to psych himself up to compete at such a high level, under such high expectations — and the pressure that accompanies those expectations. Noah and his brother Josephus (also a talented runner) have done a lot of work to reduce stigma and promote mental health. I appreciate their support for the local children in our community and their broader international work to enhance wellness.

I guess it’s not surprising to think about how the showboating behavior is likely a way to compensate for self-doubt and anxiety, but I hadn’t really considered that perspective when watching major competitions. I identified much more with the honest vulnerability of someone like Simone Biles. I think she handled herself well and showed tremendous resilience! After my father died, his close friend helped us sort through his many books. His friend was surprised to see so many self-help books in his diverse collection on sports, training techniques, nutrition, health, military strategy and a vast array of topics that he used to inform his ice hockey coaching. My father exuded a quiet confidence but I explained how hard he worked to suppress his negative thoughts and turn them into positive energy, habits and motivation for continued self improvement.

I don’t think we all need to pursue such grandiose goals. In fact, the bigger the goal the larger the sacrifice in terms of available time and choices, I think, but we can learn so much from these examples of people who set out to accomplish something— big or small — and find a way to achieve their dream. Well, I guess I should get moving with at least one step forward on something today — onward!
  • Pupowl
    @looneycatblue Here is the habit tracker: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sgv4Yp3d0mI8iKLrX9NUONwYQDTnlLl3I_kOmn1h674/edit?gid=883245409#gid=883245409
    You are already on it, so you did manage to find it before!
  • looneycatblue
    Pupowl wrote: »
    @looneycatblue Here is the habit tracker: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sgv4Yp3d0mI8iKLrX9NUONwYQDTnlLl3I_kOmn1h674/edit?gid=883245409#gid=883245409
    You are already on it, so you did manage to find it before!

Thank you Pupowl, I saved the link at work, couldn't remember where I found it. For some reason I couldn't find it this morning at home. Where does this link originate from?
This discussion has been closed.