Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Today I ran 60 minutes straight! I feel great. I took it slow (an easy run) and just kept going.
    I went a new route today. Started with my hilly route and at a junction turned right instead of left. Turns out, that's quite a hilly stretch! At one point, I thought I'd have to stop and walk but then I crested the hill and saw a downhill, then a level stretch and these were great for a recovery period before the next hill, so I could keep on running.
    It's days like today that really make me feel like a runner.

Such a fabulous run!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Today I ran 60 minutes straight! I feel great. I took it slow (an easy run) and just kept going.
    I went a new route today. Started with my hilly route and at a junction turned right instead of left. Turns out, that's quite a hilly stretch! At one point, I thought I'd have to stop and walk but then I crested the hill and saw a downhill, then a level stretch and these were great for a recovery period before the next hill, so I could keep on running.
    It's days like today that really make me feel like a runner.

That's a major accomplishment! How awesome!!!! (I feel ever so much more love for hills on the downhill side! LOL!)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Terrific run, Petra!

It interesting to read how we all go through slumps and good runs and as long as we keep going, we keep improving. Everyone on here is doing much better than what they could do a year ago. Everyone is a winner!

I had RunSmart class this morning. I'm so glad that I was moved to the 7 am class rather than the during lunch one. I like exercising in the morning, but only do it when I "have to" due to a class like this or hot summer weather last year. I just need to arrange my schedule so that I have to exercise in the morning more often. Tuesday is core day, so we mixed up a little treadmill running with workouts focusing on the core.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Last night's TM run sucked. My calves were tight immediately and never loosened up, which is unusual for me. I did run/walk intervals - walk 1/4, run 1, walk 1/4, run 1, walk 1/2, then gratefully quit. I felt tired the entire time.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Last night's TM run sucked. My calves were tight immediately and never loosened up, which is unusual for me. I did run/walk intervals - walk 1/4, run 1, walk 1/4, run 1, walk 1/2, then gratefully quit. I felt tired the entire time.

How are your
    - Carbs
    - Iron
    - Potassium
    - Magnesium
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It interesting to read how we all go through slumps and good runs and as long as we keep going, we keep improving. Everyone on here is doing much better than what they could do a year ago. Everyone is a winner!

This is so true.
    I've started writing down my run times & distances this year. I hadn't done that before and I think it'll be good to look back next year (or the year after) and see how far I've progressed. It's sometimes hard to remember where I was a year ago.
    I'm glad I found such a great group of dedicated runners that keep me motivated and interested. It's fun having you all on my journey.

Thank you, everyone! I'm still grinning from running an entire hour.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I joined this group back when I finished my C25k program and I'm not sure I ever posted here :( I'd love to give some awesome reason but the embarrassing fact is that I didn't scroll down to "groups" on the community boards and forgot all about it. Geesh....so I kept pluggin on by myself and finally here I am with you all. I am signed up to run my first 10k in May so I'm hoping to find others training for the same goal so I'm not all alone anymore :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    We're training for all sorts of things :)

I did my first 10k last year, but my next "serious" race (as opposed to ones that I got talked into by a friend) is a 10k in June.
  • likitisplit
    Options

This is so true.
    I've started writing down my run times & distances this year. I hadn't done that before and I think it'll be good to look back next year (or the year after) and see how far I've progressed. It's sometimes hard to remember where I was a year ago.
    I'm glad I found such a great group of dedicated runners that keep me motivated and interested. It's fun having you all on my journey.

Thank you, everyone! I'm still grinning from running an entire hour.

As you should be!

Hey! Group HUG!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

How are your
    - Carbs
    - Iron
    - Potassium
    - Magnesium

Carbs are good. Iron should be good (I've always tested in the high end of the normal range.) My potassium could be low - I do get calf cramps if I don't eat a banana every day and looking back through the past week or so of my diary my potassium is typically under half of my allotment. I've been taking a magnesium supplement my health food store recommended (for digestive issues), so that should be good.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Ahhh....4.35 miles easy @ 9:50

fitbit had a fit...logged my run as being 1:00 in the morning instead of 6 in the evening...just edited it to make it right, but wonder why it was confused
  • likitisplit
    Options

How are your
    - Carbs
    - Iron
    - Potassium
    - Magnesium

Carbs are good. Iron should be good (I've always tested in the high end of the normal range.) My potassium could be low - I do get calf cramps if I don't eat a banana every day and looking back through the past week or so of my diary my potassium is typically under half of my allotment. I've been taking a magnesium supplement my health food store recommended (for digestive issues), so that should be good.

Maybe take an extra rest day then? Be good to yourself!

(MFP always underestimates potassium, so you're probably good.)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    So my PT, who has run Boston, says that the Marine Corps Marathon is the best. They have marines at each mile with icyhot and vaseline. And you get your own personal one at the end to help you with the space blanket and water.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    So my PT, who has run Boston, says that the Marine Corps Marathon is the best. They have marines at each mile with icyhot and vaseline. And you get your own personal one at the end to help you with the space blanket and water.

Yeah my wife really wants to do that one!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Group run tonight - 4 miles @ 9:26 pace. Super windy & cold! Winter is not done with us yet!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Yeah my wife really wants to do that one!
    So ... where and when is the Marine Corps Marathon?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Dc in October.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Dc in October.

And it's a lottery (and they go quick!).
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My brother just retired from the Marine Corps last year. He has run the Marine Corps Marathon a few times- loves it.

The most memorable run I've ever had was with him in DC. We ran around the National Mall, stopping in front of various monuments to snap pictures. It was a great experience!

I took the bike for a 14 mile spin around my National Park yesterday. It was COLD!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    102rnz4.jpg

These are sooo addictive. My coworker walking group keeps bringing these in for my birthday!

Looks like additional cardio on this rest day for me.

There are 1200 calories in that bag!!!! They are so evil!