Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was the 1st annual Peach Jam Half Marathon at a local greenway. I was nervously watching all the rain fall on Friday because the greenway is prone to flooding often. Even as we drove to the race early Saturday morning we weren't sure the race was going to happen. When we got there they assured us everything was OK, just some deep puddles here and there covering the entire path. Oh well, shoes were definitely going to get soaked. We did our typical lunge matrix and warmup run prior to the race. It was cold and raining lightly so I wore a light waterproof jacket over my singlet. As we waited for the start I was thinking the jacket was too much. Fortunately we ran right by my car as we made our way towards the greenway and I tossed the jacket on the hood. From the start to the greenway path it was all downhill and everyone was going fast. I kept looking at my Garmin and seeing a 7-something pace and thought "this is not good!" When we hit the greenway I slowed down a lot until I started seeing the pace get up to about 8:50. That's where I wanted to be for the first 3 miles. I settled into the pace and avoided water as much as possible until it covered the path. Shoes were soaked before I even hit 2 miles.

At the 4-mile mark we hit the north end of the greenway and the first turnaround point. I started picking up the pace a little here. My ideal finish time was 1:50 and I needed to average 8:24 pace to hit that. The only two numbers I was looking at on my Garmin were lap pace and average pace. By the halfway point I noticed I was already getting close to that 8:24 average pace. That was the point I thought "hey, I can finish in the 1:40's!" I got behind a big buy running just slightly over an 8:00 pace and drafted behind him for several miles. That really helped pull me through the hardest part of the race - miles 8 thru 10. When I hit mile 11 I turned on the afterburners and passed that guy and many others. That last 5K was the fastest 5K I have ever run (23:31). The last 10K was also my fastest at 48:37. On the return we had to go back uphill to the park where we started. They have a track there and we finished with about half a lap on the track. When I entered the track my wife had already finished and ran alongside me yelling at me to pass the people up ahead. I gave it all I could and was running a 6:00 pace for the last 300 meters.

I saw the clock at 1:46:26 as I rounded the last turn and crossed the line right at 1:46:30. Blew away my old PR of 1:53:53. My wife set a new PR of 1:42:34. She was 2nd in her age group and the 5th female overall. I was 7th out of 40 guys in my AG. Today I'm a bit sore and tired but pretty happy.

Amazing run!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I haven't really been posting because I haven't been doing anything exceptional. Just trying to get my weekly mileage up to 15. Sigh. That's it - longish easy runs. That's probably going to be my year. Just trying to lay a foundation of consistency.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Once again I just caught up on several pages worth of updates. Sorry I've been MIA, but it's great to catch up with what everybody is doing.

Welcome to all the newcomers to the group!

My first two runs post-surgery (4 miles on Wednesday & 5 miles Friday last week) were horrible. I ran 2 miles before work on Monday and they were okay. I ran 3.5 miles before work on Wednesday and they were better. My trainer has me running 9 miles this weekend, so I'm curious to see how that goes.

Don't give up. It ill get better. It always sucks for me coming off a lay up. I think though that it's my confidence more than my ability that has failed. :-)

My 9 miles was awful. I think you're right though that at this point it's mostly my confidence. Need to get out of my own way mentally.

Congrats Tim on an amazing race!

Romy did you wear the shirt to work?
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I now have my number for my first "race" it's a charity fun run in the village I live in. The course is around 7.4 km , I've run it a few times and today was my best effort at 42:08
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I now have my number for my first "race" it's a charity fun run in the village I live in. The course is around 7.4 km , I've run it a few times and today was my best effort at 42:08

Woo Hoo!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My 5k on Friday went good. I ended up 5th (out of 23) in my age group and 207/ 486 overall.

Time 31:06 (PR)

Well done, that's a great time!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Once again I just caught up on several pages worth of updates. Sorry I've been MIA, but it's great to catch up with what everybody is doing.

Welcome to all the newcomers to the group!

My first two runs post-surgery (4 miles on Wednesday & 5 miles Friday last week) were horrible. I ran 2 miles before work on Monday and they were okay. I ran 3.5 miles before work on Wednesday and they were better. My trainer has me running 9 miles this weekend, so I'm curious to see how that goes.

Don't give up. It ill get better. It always sucks for me coming off a lay up. I think though that it's my confidence more than my ability that has failed. :-)

My 9 miles was awful. I think you're right though that at this point it's mostly my confidence. Need to get out of my own way mentally.

Congrats Tim on an amazing race!

Romy did you wear the shirt to work?

I didn't, it was in the wash as I'd been wearing it out running, but I did wear my medal!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My 5k on Friday went good. I ended up 5th (out of 23) in my age group and 207/ 486 overall.

Wow! Ceci, that's so fantastic!!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options

That is amazing. You are a hair away from under 30.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Congratulations! It went so well. That's great time!
  • PaytraB
    Options

Nice!! That's a super time! Well done!
  • romyhorse
    Options

Awesome time! Well done.
  • AlbionOakley
    Options

Awesome time! Well done.

the actual race is may 4th I will post my time after that!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Way go Ceci!! That's awesome!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Today it's back to work and back to training. I took a vacation day yesterday to watch the Boston Marathon coverage. My running coach and a couple of other friends were running so it was exciting tracking their progress. And I watched the finish line camera for hours. It was so inspirational seeing the emotions of runners crossing that famous finish line, and others needing to be carried across the line. Many made it across the line only to collapse seconds afterwards, or walked in random directions before hitting a wall or someone else. I can't yet imagine what it feels like to finish a marathon.

My coach finished in 2:54, a PR for him but of course he wanted better. His quads cramped up past the halfway point and he couldn't go all-out in the last 10K. My other friends did well and re-qualified for Boston with their times. We finished the day meeting up with a lot of people from our running group to run/walk in honor of one of our member's father-in-law who died just 3 weeks before he was going to run Boston. He was 55 and died of heart failure the day after his last long run before he was to start tapering. His son-in-law ran 55 miles yesterday. It was a very emotional time for everyone as we remembered him and those that died and were injured last year in Boston. My wife & I were still recovering from a hard half marathon effort and my hamstring was sore so we walked 2.62 miles as most everyone else went out for a run. It was a very emotional way to end a very emotional day.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Today it's back to work and back to training. I took a vacation day yesterday to watch the Boston Marathon coverage. My running coach and a couple of other friends were running so it was exciting tracking their progress. And I watched the finish line camera for hours. It was so inspirational seeing the emotions of runners crossing that famous finish line, and others needing to be carried across the line. Many made it across the line only to collapse seconds afterwards, or walked in random directions before hitting a wall or someone else. I can't yet imagine what it feels like to finish a marathon.

My coach finished in 2:54, a PR for him but of course he wanted better. His quads cramped up past the halfway point and he couldn't go all-out in the last 10K. My other friends did well and re-qualified for Boston with their times. We finished the day meeting up with a lot of people from our running group to run/walk in honor of one of our member's father-in-law who died just 3 weeks before he was going to run Boston. He was 55 and died of heart failure the day after his last long run before he was to start tapering. His son-in-law ran 55 miles yesterday. It was a very emotional time for everyone as we remembered him and those that died and were injured last year in Boston. My wife & I were still recovering from a hard half marathon effort and my hamstring was sore so we walked 2.62 miles as most everyone else went out for a run. It was a very emotional way to end a very emotional day.

:cry:
  • likitisplit
    Options

I never expected running outside by myself would make me a part of such a community.

A 55 mile run was a great way of honoring your friend's father and I know it meant a lot to their family that you all witnessed his passing. My prayers to them.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Tim, that's a wonderful tribute to your friend's father-in-law.

A personal best today: I ran 5K in under 38 minutes (37:48)!! Sometimes I feel as if I'm spinning my wheels but days like today show me that I am making progress.
    I don't expect to do this every run but, from experience, once it happens it will occasionally happen again and....eventually....it becomes more the norm and finally it is the norm. :happy:
  • AlbionOakley
    Options
    10k run in 1:01:43

felt rotten since. I have felt nauseous all day since, and had cramps earlier too. Pretty sure i didnt rehydrate soon enough/enough and have been drinking water constantly since
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Excellent tribute your friend did for his father Tim.

After two days of agonising back pain as a result of over doing a wonderful (at the time) horse ride and backing it up with a second the day after I finally got out for a run again tonight. Legs felt tired, but I pushed on. A few walk breaks, but happy with my over all run.