Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Went out for a run tonight, originally planned 6-7km but then scaled back because it was so late before I headed out. Did my warmup walk, got going and started running, not the half shuffling excuse I normally do for a run, but that thing where you kick your heals up and actually resemble one of those professional fast runners.
    Turns out I was moving along at around 3:40min/km pace and it felt easy... well for the first km of it, it got harder for the next 495m at which point I had to stop due to traffic and between catching my breath and just walking took another minute to walk the last 5m LOL. Walked for a bit and then headed off at a much more sustainable 6:20(ish) pace
    It was only about 8 months ago I started C25K, Now I think I could do a TT and get my 2k time down under 8 min, maybe even under 7min.

Wow, that's fast!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    No running for me lately, but here are my weekend cycling stats:

MS150_zps16e112b4.jpg

And me after the ride with my certificate:

[img]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/ctoons/Mobile Uploads/e850df10-890e-41a3-85d9-9b7beb14bc54_zpse2646cb0.jpg[/img]

I'm running a 5k on Friday!

Congratulations! I bet you had a great weekend! Good luck with your 5k on Friday ????
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Went out for a short run last night, was going to do 4k but I only managed 3k. Felt like I was running with a heavy rucksack on my back and felt lightheaded and nauseous, not been feeling right for a few days now ????
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Had a great & emotional group run last night. We held a moment of silence for Boston. And our group run leader returned after losing his wife last week. It was nice to see him back. And we also discussed the hopeful recovery of another Big Peach Running Co. runner (Kennesaw branch manager) who was critically injured last week in a bike accident that took his brother-in-law's life. Been a sad week for us.

I just had an easy 3-mile run on the schedule and took it very slow. I'm saving my energy for this Saturday's half marathon.

The local CBS news station was at our group run. Here's a link to their report. They got a brief shot of me doing lunges at the beginning.

http://www.cbs46.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10057861#.U05Z2Gg1Dg0.gmail
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    graduated C25k a few weeks ago and have just been running a lot since. Did my first 10k training run this morning in 1:00:53
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

MS150_zps16e112b4.jpg

[img]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/ctoons/Mobile Uploads/e850df10-890e-41a3-85d9-9b7beb14bc54_zpse2646cb0.jpg[/img]

That is such an amazing thing to do! You must be so proud if yourself. And...look...the certificate is bigger than you are.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    graduated C25k a few weeks ago and have just been running a lot since. Did my first 10k training run this morning in 1:00:53

Welcome in! That is a blazing fast 10k time...did you run before?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Went out for a short run last night, was going to do 4k but I only managed 3k. Felt like I was running with a heavy rucksack on my back and felt lightheaded and nauseous, not been feeling right for a few days now ????

Hope you feel better! Were you hydrated?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Had a great & emotional group run last night. We held a moment of silence for Boston. And our group run leader returned after losing his wife last week. It was nice to see him back. And we also discussed the hopeful recovery of another Big Peach Running Co. runner (Kennesaw branch manager) who was critically injured last week in a bike accident that took his brother-in-law's life. Been a sad week for us.

I just had an easy 3-mile run on the schedule and took it very slow. I'm saving my energy for this Saturday's half marathon.

The local CBS news station was at our group run. Here's a link to their report. They got a brief shot of me doing lunges at the beginning.

http://www.cbs46.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10057861#.U05Z2Gg1Dg0.gmail

Great clip!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    That is such an amazing thing to do! You must be so proud if yourself. And...look...the certificate is bigger than you are.

I have the biggest grin on my face right now! Thanks for pointing that out!

:happy: :bigsmile:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm new but I will jump in on this. I love reading these. :)

I have my first 10K in 6 weeks (memorial day weekend). I have done a number of 5Ks and just completed a 5K mud run recently so I've been running somewhat regularly. I made a little 6-week training guide for myself to slowly increase my milage. I've never run longer than 4 miles before!

Last night was my first run on the training plan. Easy 2 miles. I ran it in 17:03. I was a little shocked to see my time at the end of the 2 miles since I usually run a 10 minute mile, but I also usually run 3 or 3.5 miles so I'm sure that makes a different. I've also cleaned up my diet a lot in the past week and I've been feeling great.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Welcome in! That is a blazing fast 10k time...did you run before?

No but I have done 4 years of strength training and been on cardio machines loads
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

MS150_zps16e112b4.jpg

After a 150 ride, a 5K run will be a breeze for you!
  • aliciadalicia
    aliciadalicia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, Alpine! and Hi to everyone! I'm new too.

This is now my second year of running. I was a part of a C25K group that I loved and really encouraged me to run. Now 5k is my easy run. I did a nice 8km run yesterday. It feels great! I have only done a 5km and 6km race. Maybe I'll sign up for a 10km but I'd like to have some buddies (online or nearby) who will be doing the same.

I like reading everyone's check-in's! It helps me keep my mind on running so I can make more time for it! I don't spend that much time online, but hopefully I get some time to check-in on here.

Looking forward to getting to know you a bit more as runners and learn your goals! - Ali
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Hey Alicia and welcome.

Quick update for everyone who isn't a MFP friend..(and again, why not?)

Sunday I ran my second 5K... finished 3rd overall(was a small local 5K, but I still feel real proud :)) my time was 24:27.

I think I talked in another thread somewhere about how i ran the race due to the wind and also talked about the training program that I used. Gipis predicted a 25:06 and I am extremely pleased with the training program even if I am a little disappointed in the low weekly mileage.

I took Monday off, then ran last night for 25 minutes. I wanted to pull down gradually from my race pace so I ran @ 8:40 and was surprised how less hard it was than I thought it was going to be. Tonight I will further taper the pace to around 9:00-9:20 for 25 minutes. Thursday, I'll jump back into my easy pace of about @10:00 for a hour to an hour and a half long run.

Half marathon is coming up on May 10. I hope to finish it.

It's been so nice reading about everyone's experience with running here

oh...and no kidding CeCe...that is an amazing amount of cycling... all I can think about is being saddle sore
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Oh by the way, here are my splits... I was hoping for a 7:52 throughout the race, but I had to modify due to 16MPH winds with 30+gusts on the back portion...ended up with a 7:53 overall :)

1h9n34.jpg
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Nicely padded bike shorts + nice gel seat = not really saddle sore!
  • romyhorse
    Options

Hope you feel better! Were you hydrated?

Yes, I've been getting alot of headaches so I've been making sure I drink plenty, I drank half a litre before I went out. I think the warmer weather isn't helping, I've been out running the past 2 nights and it's been much colder and it has been easier.

Hello and welcome to all the newcomers!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hi, Alpine! and Hi to everyone! I'm new too.

This is now my second year of running. I was a part of a C25K group that I loved and really encouraged me to run. Now 5k is my easy run. I did a nice 8km run yesterday. It feels great! I have only done a 5km and 6km race. Maybe I'll sign up for a 10km but I'd like to have some buddies (online or nearby) who will be doing the same.

I like reading everyone's check-in's! It helps me keep my mind on running so I can make more time for it! I don't spend that much time online, but hopefully I get some time to check-in on here.

Looking forward to getting to know you a bit more as runners and learn your goals! - Ali

Hey, Alicia - I remember you. Welcome in!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Nicely padded bike shorts + nice gel seat = not really saddle sore!

When I biked 30 some miles, it wasn't my butt - it was my hands.