Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Zanne, congratulations on your 10K race and the great time! You rock!

Tim, you and your wife are amazing. So dedicated and always encouraging each other. I'm really enjoying your trail series races. Trail running sounds incredible.

Romy, high five! Running 5K after a bit of a break is nothing to sneeze at. That's great time, too.

I had a good run this morning. I'm on-call at work, which means I have to stay close to home in case I'm called (the pager is for emergency cases only so I'm supposed to go in to work right away; no delays). I ran around the block a few times; found out that it's 1.25K a round and, going the direction I was, about 3/5 of it is uphill, 1/5 is level and 1/5 is a steep downhill. That's not a bad workout. I did that 3 times, then ventured out a bit further to the next city block (which is more level). In total, I ran 5K (40:00) + another 1K (8:10) and walked the rest.
    The sun was shining and the temperature was perfect. It was a very good morning.

I haven't been working at increasing my speed. My last couple of weeks of runs have been "easy" and casual. I'm really enjoying them. The "rest" is doing me good.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My original plan for this month was to increase my long run. I have increased my running and am doing more miles per week than I have ever done, but not by increasing my long run, but by increasing my number of runs per week. This is working for me, so I guess that next month will be the increase my long run month.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Wow Tim & wife - amazing trail run! And that would be an unachievable pace for me on a flat road, so extra kudos to running in on a trail!

Romy - that's a great 5K time considering your lack of training - you should be proud of that!

Plex - great work running those hills - that's a tough workout on its own. Hills are brutal, but so good for improvement!

BTS - good for you for increasing your monthly distance - if it's working; keep doing it!

I'm a day late posting this - my 10K race (Marden Marathon) was yesterday. I did everything right - ate a good dinner, went to bed early, was well hydrated, organized in the morning, and still...I came out flat. Not sure why - the vibe was great, I had friends there, the weather was pretty much perfect. The only thing I can think of was I ran with a friend - maybe that diverted my focus from the running. Or maybe it was the moderate rolling hills I hadn't anticipated, as this was a new race for me. At any rate, at about 7 km in I was really struggling - I knew then that I wasn't going to break the hour barrier like I had hoped - I just didn't have that strong, speedy feeling in my legs. Not gonna lie - I had to really grit my teeth and endure the last 3 km - I wanted to stop SO many times, but didn't give in. I finished in 1:01:50.5, which was disappointing, but still a PB as it was my first timed 10K. I can only get better, right? :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Wow Tim & wife - amazing trail run! And that would be an unachievable pace for me on a flat road, so extra kudos to running in on a trail!

Romy - that's a great 5K time considering your lack of training - you should be proud of that!

Plex - great work running those hills - that's a tough workout on its own. Hills are brutal, but so good for improvement!

BTS - good for you for increasing your monthly distance - if it's working; keep doing it!

I'm a day late posting this - my 10K race (Marden Marathon) was yesterday. I did everything right - ate a good dinner, went to bed early, was well hydrated, organized in the morning, and still...I came out flat. Not sure why - the vibe was great, I had friends there, the weather was pretty much perfect. The only thing I can think of was I ran with a friend - maybe that diverted my focus from the running. Or maybe it was the moderate rolling hills I hadn't anticipated, as this was a new race for me. At any rate, at about 7 km in I was really struggling - I knew then that I wasn't going to break the hour barrier like I had hoped - I just didn't have that strong, speedy feeling in my legs. Not gonna lie - I had to really grit my teeth and endure the last 3 km - I wanted to stop SO many times, but didn't give in. I finished in 1:01:50.5, which was disappointing, but still a PB as it was my first timed 10K. I can only get better, right? :)

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you :(

Your time is still great though and your next one will be better.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks all - yes, I sniff Walgreens spray up my nose, take allergy meds (usually only when i'm feeling ick) and then vicks vaporub too. TONS better, all the symptoms are gone except the grossness in my lungs that is threatening to drown me! I didn't have to take anything yesterday so hopefully that means I'll be running again by the weekend. This sucks. I'm pretty much going to be starting the whole 10K program again I think as I've spent so much time this year sick and recovering. argh. At least I got a 3 mile walk in lastnight - made me feel better :)

Building to races and then having to restart because of illness made me crazy last year. However, my takeaway is that it worked out ok and my pulmonologist says that running makes everything better.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm barely breaking 11 miles a week in runs. I'm going to rearrange things (including running at lunch on Friday (if I have to) to start hitting 15 miles/week again.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Was very discouraged with Saturday's 5k. Just after I finished the first mile the top of my foot/front of my ankle, where the foot and leg connect (both of them) started hurting with every step. I had to walk about 1/2 mile before it let up some. I started running again, but it was at a much slower pace. Toward the end it was feeling better and I sprinted the last about 200 yards. I finished in 45:06, which is more than 5 minutes slower than my slowest 5k.

When I got home I wrapped it, iced it and elevated it and it was feeling fine the next morning. Not sure what that was about, I've never had that hurt before. I'm going to take is super easy for today's run and see what happens.
  • PaytraB
    Options

I think you did great, Zanne! Congratulations on NOT STOPPING! The hardest times to run are when our bodies are screaming at us to stop.
    Your time is wonderful and, as you say, it'll only get better. I think for a first 10K, you did great.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Was very discouraged with Saturday's 5k. Just after I finished the first mile the top of my foot/front of my ankle, where the foot and leg connect (both of them) started hurting with every step. I had to walk about 1/2 mile before it let up some. I started running again, but it was at a much slower pace. Toward the end it was feeling better and I sprinted the last about 200 yards. I finished in 45:06, which is more than 5 minutes slower than my slowest 5k.

When I got home I wrapped it, iced it and elevated it and it was feeling fine the next morning. Not sure what that was about, I've never had that hurt before. I'm going to take is super easy for today's run and see what happens.

Sorry to hear this, Rindy. You still did well because you finished. It's disappointing, though, to have something like this happen in a run. I hope your foot doesn't give you any more trouble.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Well done to you and your wife Tim, you are rocking this trail series!

Today I did the Prairie Dog Spring Fling virtual 5k. It wasn't a good run, I've only run twice this month so not really prepared for it, but I was determined to do it even if I had to walk it! There was a cold wind so had on a T-shirt over a long sleeved top, but the road where I was running was sheltered and I got too hot too quick. Had to stop at the half way point and take off both tops and just put my T-shirt back on, thankfully there was no traffic! Runtastic was playing up too, froze at the start, just short of the 3k point it said I'd only run 2.45k, and it crashed at some point after 3k, so I'm not sure exactly how far I ran but I did run at least 5k, probably further, in 34:20.

Yes! Congratulations Tim, to you and your wife! You two are burning up the trails.

Sorry, Romy. Prairie Dog? I didn't know that you had Prairie Dogs. Congratulations for finishing it! I know how aggrevating it can be when you misjudge what you should be wearing. Hopefully we all will figure it out with more experience. I also know how aggrevatiating electronics can be! Sorry that both had to happen to you in the same race. But you did it!
  • btsinmd
    Options

Sounds like you might have gone out to fast, Zanne. It great that you finished it! Terrific! And you're right, likely your next 10k will be as PR. It certainly wasn't a bad time for a first 10k.
  • likitisplit
    Options

both ankles is weird. Good job for finishing though.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Hope that whatever was wrong with your foot was temporary, Rindy, and that you don't experience it again.

I ran a quick 2.5 mile run last night after getting back home after a dog event. I found it interesting to compare it with my 10k training run on Friday. On Friday, by the end, my legs were feeling like rubber, bending down and picking things up was hard, and sitting and then standing again while I took my shoes off was hard. All my muscles were sore! Yet, I was breathing hard, yet fine, throughout. Last night, my legs felt fine, during and after. A little achy, but basically fine. On the other had, trying to breathe through the last bit was difficult. I was sending air in and out like bellows. I was trying very hard to set up a rhythm for my breathing and keep it steady, but kept dropping back into just getting air in and out any way I could. Friday's run was actually easier for me to finish, as long as I didn't stop, my exhausted legs just kept plugging away. Last night, my mind was yelling, "Stop" throughout the whole last bit, even though I was allowing myself to slow. My mind kept telling me that running just wasn't that important, and shouldn't I just walk until I could get back home? One would think that running less than half the distance that you had just done, two days before, would be easier, but it's not. I'm not even deliberately trying to run faster. I just do and then get caught in the too fast of a start problem.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Today I did the Prairie Dog Spring Fling virtual 5k. It wasn't a good run, I've only run twice this month so not really prepared for it, but I was determined to do it even if I had to walk it! There was a cold wind so had on a T-shirt over a long sleeved top, but the road where I was running was sheltered and I got too hot too quick. Had to stop at the half way point and take off both tops and just put my T-shirt back on, thankfully there was no traffic! Runtastic was playing up too, froze at the start, just short of the 3k point it said I'd only run 2.45k, and it crashed at some point after 3k, so I'm not sure exactly how far I ran but I did run at least 5k, probably further, in 34:20.

Yes! Congratulations Tim, to you and your wife! You two are burning up the trails.

Sorry, Romy. Prairie Dog? I didn't know that you had Prairie Dogs. Congratulations for finishing it! I know how aggrevating it can be when you misjudge what you should be wearing. Hopefully we all will figure it out with more experience. I also know how aggrevatiating electronics can be! Sorry that both had to happen to you in the same race. But you did it!

No Prairie Dogs here, only a Border Collie! The race was in Colorado, I had entered the virtual race, I ran it in Scotland :happy:
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Congratulations on your race, that is a fantastic time for your first 10k!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I'm still so psyched that you ran our race virtually in Scotland!!!!!!! I can't get over it. I'm sorry it wasn't a better experience. My "live" Prairie Dog Spring Fling half marathon was rather dreadful also (weather-extreme winds, hail & snow = cold, wet, muddy) but the company was nice so it wasn't too bad I guess. Got to cross the finish line with a friend who ran his first half so that was fun!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Went out for a run tonight, originally planned 6-7km but then scaled back because it was so late before I headed out. Did my warmup walk, got going and started running, not the half shuffling excuse I normally do for a run, but that thing where you kick your heals up and actually resemble one of those professional fast runners.
    Turns out I was moving along at around 3:40min/km pace and it felt easy... well for the first km of it, it got harder for the next 495m at which point I had to stop due to traffic and between catching my breath and just walking took another minute to walk the last 5m LOL. Walked for a bit and then headed off at a much more sustainable 6:20(ish) pace
    It was only about 8 months ago I started C25K, Now I think I could do a TT and get my 2k time down under 8 min, maybe even under 7min.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I'm still so psyched that you ran our race virtually in Scotland!!!!!!! I can't get over it. I'm sorry it wasn't a better experience. My "live" Prairie Dog Spring Fling half marathon was rather dreadful also (weather-extreme winds, hail & snow = cold, wet, muddy) but the company was nice so it wasn't too bad I guess. Got to cross the finish line with a friend who ran his first half so that was fun!

You should get a map and pin all of the different places where your friends have run 3W races.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    No running for me lately, but here are my weekend cycling stats:

MS150_zps16e112b4.jpg

And me after the ride with my certificate:

[img]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/ctoons/Mobile Uploads/e850df10-890e-41a3-85d9-9b7beb14bc54_zpse2646cb0.jpg[/img]

I'm running a 5k on Friday!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 5k on Friday!

Wow - that's some serious cycling!! Good luck on your 5K!