Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Glad you're starting to feel better, btsinmd.

Andiebean, you've got this. You'll run 60 minutes next time. I've managed it a couple of times. It's a good feeling. Come fall, I plan on adding more longer runs to my routine.

Varda, trail runs sound like fun. There's one short trail in my neighbourhood and it feels so cool compared to the rest of my running routes. Unfortunately, it's less than 1K long and just connects two neighbourhoods. The rest of my running routes are open to the sky and sun. That's not a bad thing; it's just warmer on these hot days.

Today seems a bit cooler around here. Looking forward to my run after work today.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Had a hard week. After a good run last Friday, I had a flyball tournament throughout the weekend and came back from it feeling miserable. After three days sick, didn't go to work, didn't run, didn't go to my trainer workout, I stumbled back to the living yesterday and at least got some stair climbing done. This morning, Fells and I got in a 3 mile run. It was cool this morning and very pretty. It felt so good to get out!

I don't know what I had. Maybe shingles. Maybe just a really bad poison ivy reaction.

I'm glad you're feeling better!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I didn't get my run in yesterday because I suck.

Oh, I have a list of excuses that I won't post here because any one of you could shoot them down with any of the challenges you've overcome in the past month.

I'm getting it in on the treadmill (natural punishment) today so I can see how I'm doing on my weekend long run.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It's been a pretty good week so far even with the hot weather. Tuesday was a nice 6.4 mile run with the regular group where I got to test drive the ASICS GT-2000. Did not love the shoe but didn't hate it either. Wednesday was an easy (but hot) 7.5 mile run by myself in lieu of speedwork. No fast running until my achilles tendon pain totally goes away. And last night was another easy but very hot group run of 5 miles. I'm actually enjoying slowing things down for a while but I need to be ready for my 10K on Labor Day.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    C210k W9D1, the first workout post the C25k graduation. It was hard work at the end of the working week. However I was so pleased that I finished it and worked in my normal HR range. And the weekend starts!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Almost 30 miles on the bicycle yesterday. Will probably ride again today. Running a 5k tomorrow- the anniversary of my first ever 5k!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was supposed to be a rest day but I took a couple of days off with a sore knee earlier in the week so I swapped my 3k run that I missed to yesterday. It didn't seem worth getting sweaty just for a 20 minute run so I did strong lifts first, big mistake!! I almost died on the first km, it was so hard, and probably the slowest km I have run this year! Today we are going into the city for lunch and the cinema so a lot of sitting around and a lot of eating!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Beat my PB 5k by 2 seconds!

Official time 30:22, first in my age group!

I love smaller local races. This was in conjunction with a grape festival, so my "trophy" is a very nice wine glass with a medal attached.

:drinker:
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @Ceci_O_K Well done and congratulations on getting first in your age group. I may get to raise a glass to you today although it is more likely to be next Friday.

@ romyhorse At least you were able to run afterwards, doing it the other way round really messes up the weights session. I try to keep SL5x5 and C2xk apart by at least 12 hours to have any reasonable success with both. However running after SL5x5, I think is beneficial, not from a time perspective but from the fact that you legs are already fatigued and you need to work through it. I would be more concerned that you did a a double session a couple of days after having a sore knee. I would have taken it really easy until I had done a session of each. Each to their own, I suppose. Well done and I hope you enjoyed your lunch and cinema trip.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    C210k W9D2 completed. Not as I intended though. On the last interval I caught up with a chap who was going at a slower pace, he asked for a tow. I slowed down and we talked for 10 minutes while still making progress. Before we split I had managed to help him speed up, he had struggled in the first half of his run. Although the session was not the one I planned, I wanted to see how my stamina was at the end of the run, it did help me understand the HR range I need to be in to run and talk. And for that I am truly grateful. Have fun with whatever you plan to do over the next couple of days
  • romyhorse
    Options
    @Ceci_O_K Well done and congratulations on getting first in your age group. I may get to raise a glass to you today although it is more likely to be next Friday.

@ romyhorse At least you were able to run afterwards, doing it the other way round really messes up the weights session. I try to keep SL5x5 and C2xk apart by at least 12 hours to have any reasonable success with both. However running after SL5x5, I think is beneficial, not from a time perspective but from the fact that you legs are already fatigued and you need to work through it. I would be more concerned that you did a a double session a couple of days after having a sore knee. I would have taken it really easy until I had done a session of each. Each to their own, I suppose. Well done and I hope you enjoyed your lunch and cinema trip.

I did think it would be beneficial to run on tired legs, I didn't expect it to be so hard though! My sore knee wasn't anything serious, I just tweaked it walking up stairs, something I had done several times before. After injuring my knee last summer and having a suspected stress fracture of my femur at the beginning of this year I am very careful and tend to take rest days for even the slightest niggle. And we did have a lovely day out yesterday thanks, ate lots and only took 4000 steps. Thankfully we are hillwalking today and I will running later in the day.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    C210k W9D2 completed. Not as I intended though. On the last interval I caught up with a chap who was going at a slower pace, he asked for a tow. I slowed down and we talked for 10 minutes while still making progress. Before we split I had managed to help him speed up, he had struggled in the first half of his run. Although the session was not the one I planned, I wanted to see how my stamina was at the end of the run, it did help me understand the HR range I need to be in to run and talk. And for that I am truly grateful. Have fun with whatever you plan to do over the next couple of days

Well done and great job for helping out a fellow runner!
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Well done and great job for helping out a fellow runner!

I had mixed feelings to start with, but I figured nothing depended on my time and so if it helped him out then it was worthwhile. It cost me nothing to help out someone who reached out for help. Glad you enjoyed your day
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's been a few days since my last update, but I'm proud to say that I finally finished my 60 minute run...TWICE! Once was my c210k graduation run, and the other was this morning to kick off half marathon training. I doubt I'll actually fork over the money to run one this year, but at least I'll be able to build up a nice big mileage base before the winter kicks in and I can't go out anymore.

My goal for this month is to focus on getting my strength training in. I've been digging my heels in about it for a while now, and I really should have started months ago. I just hate it so much, and I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing twice. Hope you can achieve your strength training goals
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running 60 minutes twice! That's a wonderful start to your half marathon training! Way to go!

I had a good run on Friday, running 5.5K in 43:45. It was an afternoon run, so hot & a bit close.

This morning, I went out early with the intention of running an easy 60 minutes. I concentrated on keeping the pacing slow and easy, testing my speed by speaking the lyrics of my songs out loud and checking my Garmin for speed. I did it and covered 7.4K in that time. I haven't run 60 minutes since the heat started and I'm very happy that I can still do it.

Got a new pair of shoes yesterday: Saucony Omni 13. They are still in the closet. I'm going to finish the summer in my ASICS.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Ceci!! Nice race!

Sounds like a good run Robbie, helping out a fellow runner is always good.

Looks like you're getting some nice runs in Romy, and your daughter too.

Congratulations on the two 60 minute runs, Andie. It took me a while to find a type of strength training I liked and felt comfortable with. too.

I ran 10 miles today. The plan was to get out by 6:30 to 7 am and take Fells. I got up late, got distracted, and finally set out by 9:30 am. The whole run south I saw the shade on the other side of the trail and was happy that I['d have that on the way back. I ran the 5.5 miles to the ranger station (This sounds very out in the woods. It's a paved rail to trail. I wasn't trail running). Used the bathroom and felt good and thought about running the whole way back and doing 11 miles. After about a half mile going north I was hot, miserable and grumpy. I hate sun. My glasses were sliding down my nose. I spent the rest of the run alternating between carrying them and wearing them. I saw only two runners on the way home, 20 walkers, and probably 100 bicyclists. I got so annoyed with the bikers; just a reflection of my mood in general. They looked so comfortable and many were barely peddling, just gliding and all happy. I was hot, barely moving in comparison, and really annoyed at the world.

When I stopped running at the stop light going from the trail to my neighborhood I started seeing stars and wondered if I would faint halfway across the road. Then I couldn't see cars coming from my right as every time I looked that direction, the minivan sitting there ready to turn left blinded me with all the light it was reflecting. It was a bit scary as both of those things were really affecting my sight. I focused on the crossing indicator man and trusted that when he said I could cross the road, I could.

I'm going to try very hard never to run so late again in the morning again. I think I can actually take a higher heat as long as the sun is not so shiny. I'm an early morning or an evening runner!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I had a good run on Friday, running 5.5K in 43:45. It was an afternoon run, so hot & a bit close.

This morning, I went out early with the intention of running an easy 60 minutes. I concentrated on keeping the pacing slow and easy, testing my speed by speaking the lyrics of my songs out loud and checking my Garmin for speed. I did it and covered 7.4K in that time. I haven't run 60 minutes since the heat started and I'm very happy that I can still do it.

Got a new pair of shoes yesterday: Saucony Omni 13. They are still in the closet. I'm going to finish the summer in my ASICS.
    Nice run!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Had a good week of training totaling 39.6 miles - my highest weekly mileage yet. I ended the week with my longest run ever - 14.3 miles at 8:43 avg pace. This week I should finally crack 40 miles for the week. Got a 15 mile long run coming up this weekend.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Bad me for not keeping up here!
    Well done everyone!

Tim, mega miles glad you're travelling well.
    btsinmd - the vision stuff sounds scary, definitely try to avoid ;)

Patrya good work on nailing the 60min run!
    Andie Whooo to double 60min run :)
    Robbie, great work on helping out another runner
    Ceci - New pb and Age group winner WHOO HOOO!!!
    Romy - I hope your knee niggles vanish quickly!

An intended easy 11.7 tonight, one part of my goal was to never be faster than 5:30/k. I broke that maybe twice on downhills, but it was just super easy. Averaged a little over 6:30/k for the entire run. Tonight was the first time in a long time I've dealt with wind on my run. I had a head wind up every hill LOL. However because I had intended to go slow tonight I found it extremely amusing that I felt like I was almost running on the spot, as I refused to make it anything else than an easy run. Good run on semi tired legs after my trail (horse) ride yesterday.