Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Today was my first run since Thanksgiving. It was nice to have a little recovery break but I was anxious to get back outside. I timed the rain pretty well - it was pouring when I arrived at the park but a minute later it stopped (except for a light mist). Every now and then the rain would pick up for a few minutes and die down again. It was 43°F out and it took a mile or two to start feeling warm. I had to go through some deep puddles covering the entire greenway. My goal was an easy 40 minute run but I felt good and stretched it out to 60 minutes. Total run of 10K. Shoes are now sitting stuffed with newspaper to dry out.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    So, I last went out for a run on Tuesday morning. Then I went to work. I have basically at work apart from sleeping since then... I also managed to catch lurgy, possibly from one of you. Sinus infection. No voice at all. (none, not even a squeak). Lung chunks. It has been the opposite of fun because I still had to do the 14+ hour work days with nothing that resembled meal breaks just lots of being very droopy and feeling sorry for myself... Also horrible windy weather here in Scotland -not cold, just wild.

However, I woke up feeling better today and the weather seemed normal and I was only working 9 hours today so yay! A Santa Dash was starting just a mile from my flat. So I jogged along to it and joined the queue of about 20 folk to register (with another 50 or so people appearing at my back). The DJ was saying there were about 3300 people there in their santa suits. Then when I was 7 from the front of the queue they ran out of santa suits so I had to choose between running without one and looking like the ultimate killjoy, and also standing around for 45 minutes until it started in the one thin layer I had worn out thinking I would be covered up or just abandoning ship. It seems Santa Dash races are not for us this week...

So I went for a run on my own. Not great speed and I ran out of steam and had to start doing walk/jog intervals to get home after about 40 minutes, but better than I had any right to expect considering how miserable I felt a couple of days ago!

Still not made it to the gym I joined (see earlier work and lurgy excuses) but I will this week. I WILL.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good to hear you had a great run Tim, it was cold a bit further south too but not 43!

Sorry to hear you were/are also sick, Solar.... And for the missed Santa race ;( glad to hear you got a run in anyway! That's quite a work schedule you have, you are a tough chick!

I woke up today and it felt like little elves had ice picked my entire shin area to death, so hubby and I went shopping, then I put on the new shoes and new running hat and went out with no goal in mind, other than to run and see how they felt. They felt great, but my socks were apparently pulled too tight because my middle toes on each foot were barking!!!! It was very aggravating but I didn't let it bother me, just thought about how annoying it was for every, single, step! Decided on 4 sock-burdened miles, got home, grimaced for a few minutes on the foam roller, and now I'm sitting on the couch thinking about the evil elves with their ice picks! Apparently, when you run downhill on a 5.5% grade it hurts your shins the next day ;) I'm excited to go back out with the new shoes and my actual running socks tomorrow. New rule, no more running without proper socks ;)
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Managed my first winter race today, a 5k in 22 degrees. Brrrr...... Thank goodness for an awesome run buddy! I think, perhaps, my toes have finally defrosted. The race in the cold was tough, but mostly it was the waiting around and in the chute FOR the race that was so cold!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've been busy and neglecting these forums. I'm sorry!

I'm on week 9 of 1 hour runner. I rand 49 minutes and 5.02 miles yesterday at an 11:26 pace. I'm slow, but hopeful that I'll be able to run my 10k on January 1 in under an hour.

I'm not always posting, but I do read, and I thank you all for all the information you post.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well St. Jude was cancelled. So got to get my own treadmill run in. I hate the treadmill, so ended up doing a 35 minute hilly run. Something about staring out into the parking lot at a stop sign for 60 minutes just isn't appealing to me. I need to figure out another half marathon and get back into the running grove lol. I feel my motivation slipping a bit. Maybe the Mississippi River Half Marathon, will have to check the date and find one around here.

Still haven't gotten to try the tights I bought...well I did on Friday, but it was only a short 15 minute mile (1/2 down and then back from the St. Jude Expo), so don't want to review the tights on such a short run. I will do it tonight, going for 4 miles on the Riverfront tonight, or maybe around Harbortown (which will make it closer to 5). I have really gotten into the Galloway method of things and really trying to hone those skills. I go faster when I Run/Walk split things.

I have pretty much figured out my coldness clothing needs, and there is a new Pearl's running jacket over at Breakaway I want SO BAD lol. But it is $110....but would be great if I ended up going to Alaska or being stationed in the Northern states. After the holidays I might just save up some for it and buy it...even if I dont' use it much here in Memphis lol. Hopefully it snows this year. Sounds weird, but I love snow and miss it....and the rumor mill here is that Memphis is due for a nice snowy winter. Crossing fingers. If I need to I will invest in the snow tracks for shoes.

ETA: Signed up for the Germantown HM on March 16.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 9 of 1 hour runner. I rand 49 minutes and 5.02 miles yesterday at an 11:26 pace. I'm slow, but hopeful that I'll be able to run my 10k on January 1 in under an hour.

Ha ha ha "slow". That's my easy pace and my 5k race pace isn't much better.

I just skimmed "Brain Training for Runners"

It's interesting for the viewpoint, but I think its only 85% there on application. The author is trying to operationalize Tim Noakes's "Central Governor" theory of running performance. He breaks it down into simple terms nicely.

Basically, your brain says, "Ok, we're going to run a 10k. In order for you to do this without running out of fuel/heating up and dying, I'm going to let you run at this pace. If you try to run faster or harder, I'm going to make you tired so that you stop."

The feeling that you get when you do this is that you are "holding something back" until you see the finish line.

I think that's why runners always feel slow. They KNOW they CAN run faster. However, their brain/body won't let them.

The book suggests various training techniques to help the brain realize that a faster pace won't kill the organism, and the running plans look interesting. The cross training and mental cues he recommends need a little more research, in my opinion
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Apparently, when you run downhill on a 5.5% grade it hurts your shins the next day ;) I'm excited to go back out with the new shoes and my actual running socks tomorrow. New rule, no more running without proper socks ;)

It should hurt your quads. :)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I did it, I did it!!!! And it was so awesome!!!!!! ;) no fear, no stress, it was just epic and beautiful and I'm so happy I did it and that I was able to - no calf pain, no pain or strain of any kind, and boy was the downhill fun!!!!' Officially 36.57 - 1298th out of 2988 in the 5k!

Terrific! Congratulations! On so many levels, you did well, you coped with your fears, there's nothing you can't do!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It good reading about how everyone is doing. Some really nice accomplishments! Some not as great mainly due to weather. Hope everyone continues to get through December the best that they can and with less illness and ice!

Wednesday is my next scheduled run and I'm happy about that as right now everything outside seems to be glazed with a fine layer of ice. Hopefully by Wednesday the ice situation will be better.

I hope to get some water aerobics in tonight in addition to my regularly scheduled Tuesday and Thursday water aerobics/swimming lessons days. I bought a month pass for as many water aerobics classes as I can get to this month, so December will be my water month. Unfortunately they get cancelled if less than 5 people show up and the weather isn't looking good for tonight so people, who might have come, might stay home.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

That's great time! I ran 6K yesterday in 49:10. You did more than a mile more distance than me in the same time. You were flying. Well done!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Boy, my lower calf just above the Achilles tendon is pretty sore today! I noticed a little soreness Saturday morning while in yoga class. Then it was bugging me during yesterday's run. Now it hurts with every step. Must have done something on the elliptical during my running break last week. I doubt the stationary bike would have caused that. I think I'm going to stay away from elliptical machines from now on. And I need to back off my running schedule again this week.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Thanks to 9 inches of snow my workouts have involved moving snow and boxes (helping my in-laws move).

I joined the gym on Thursday and it has been closed ever since due to the icy conditions. My truck is stuck in the driveway, had to get my husband to bring me to work today! We don't have internet at home or I'd be working from there!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Boy, my lower calf just above the Achilles tendon is pretty sore today! I noticed a little soreness Saturday morning while in yoga class. Then it was bugging me during yesterday's run. Now it hurts with every step. Must have done something on the elliptical during my running break last week. I doubt the stationary bike would have caused that. I think I'm going to stay away from elliptical machines from now on. And I need to back off my running schedule again this week.

That's not good Tim, you probably thought the elliptical machine would benefit your running. I hope your back on your running schedule soon.

Small NSV today, one of my coworkers said I was looking very slim. It's nice when people notice you've lost weight, even though I still have quite a bit to lose. Unfortunately there is a downside, I've just spent a small fortune replacing most of my wardrobe. I've dropped 2 dress sizes and can no longer get away with wearing a belt to hold my trousers up!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks to 9 inches of snow my workouts have involved moving snow and boxes (helping my in-laws move).

I joined the gym on Thursday and it has been closed ever since due to the icy conditions. My truck is stuck in the driveway, had to get my husband to bring me to work today! We don't have internet at home or I'd be working from there!

Send some my way please, I love the snow especially at this time of year.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Unfortunately there is a downside, I've just spent a small fortune replacing most of my wardrobe. I've dropped 2 dress sizes and can no longer get away with wearing a belt to hold my trousers up!

It's the problem that you love to have, even though it complicates life sooo much. :)
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

That's not good Tim, you probably thought the elliptical machine would benefit your running. I hope your back on your running schedule soon.

Small NSV today, one of my coworkers said I was looking very slim. It's nice when people notice you've lost weight, even though I still have quite a bit to lose. Unfortunately there is a downside, I've just spent a small fortune replacing most of my wardrobe. I've dropped 2 dress sizes and can no longer get away with wearing a belt to hold my trousers up!

It's a good problem! Be sure you buy them small enough. I had a bit of trouble. I kept buying smaller things that were still too big, or got too big too soon after buying them. :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Ha ha ha "slow". That's my easy pace and my 5k race pace isn't much better.

I just skimmed "Brain Training for Runners"

It's interesting for the viewpoint, but I think its only 85% there on application. The author is trying to operationalize Tim Noakes's "Central Governor" theory of running performance. He breaks it down into simple terms nicely.

Basically, your brain says, "Ok, we're going to run a 10k. In order for you to do this without running out of fuel/heating up and dying, I'm going to let you run at this pace. If you try to run faster or harder, I'm going to make you tired so that you stop."

The feeling that you get when you do this is that you are "holding something back" until you see the finish line.

I think that's why runners always feel slow. They KNOW they CAN run faster. However, their brain/body won't let them.

The book suggests various training techniques to help the brain realize that a faster pace won't kill the organism, and the running plans look interesting. The cross training and mental cues he recommends need a little more research, in my opinion

This sounds VERY interesting! I'm intrigued. You always find the best stuff.
    (P.S. How do you find the time to read AND run?)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Bummer, Tim! Hope you heal up fast and can get back to your regular training.

Becky - I heard about the marathons (including the one in Memphis) being cancelled due to weather. I just can't stop thinking about all those people who trained so diligently for so long , the mental build-up, and then the let-down...breaks my heart. But I'm glad you got a run in. I am making peace with the treadmill, but I still prefer the monotony of the 10th mile indoor track.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the ice and snow issues everyone is having.... ;( and sorry about your leg pain, Tim. I'm very proud of everyone for keeping on going and trying to find ways to beat the crappy weather and/or personal obstacles..
    way to go romy! I hear you about the clothing, I'm in the same boat, so I wear yoga pants and sneakers everywhere lol

Nice 3 miler for me tonight with the five fingers... I was a bit hungry and a bit tired, but trying to work my shins out - they seem to be doing better, but don't want to overdo it as I have an 8k reindeer run this Saturday to do!!!! Under the bridge we just ran across this past Saturday!