Starting Nov 1

Replies

• bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Started Stage 3 this past Monday....liking everything but the single arm overhead squat and the DB snatch....we'll see how Workout B spans out tomorrow..whew!

For Workout B YWTLs, do you do 6 reps of each (Y, W, T and L) for a set or do you do a complete YWTL and then repeat six times?
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    I do a complete YTWL and then repeat. Although I'm not entirely sure what an L is LOL I do it both ways - left arm up and right arm out and then right arm up and left arm out.

That overhead squat is a killer! All form goes out the window as soon as you're holding something over your head :laugh:

I tried upping my weight to 20lbs on the snatch - was OK on the right hand but couldn't get it past my chest in the left hand. So I did 15 in the left and stayed with 20 in the right.

Looking forward to what you think of "B" BPJ :smile:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I am also going to start stage 3 today. I took a week off between 2 and 3 and did some P90X workouts, then spent the weekend skiing, so I am already sore today. Blueberry, you have me scared!
  • Blueberry09
    LOL keep in mind that I'm a really big wuss when it comes to weightlifting :bigsmile: So take what I say with a grain of salt (and maybe some tequila :laugh: )

I am so scared of getting injured I probably only lift at 75% of capacity. I will get there, it'll just take me longer :smile:
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    I both envy your progress and am relieved I can't do anything terrifying like an overhead squat. :)

NSV today--I got some pants in the mail that were a little tight but a small size and without stretch; it reminded me that I had some Levis in the closet that haven't seen the light of day since 2009 or maybe 2010. I put them on and they fit! The muffin top's a bit more than I'd like but they fit! And I can even sit in them. Bonus points :)

When I was younger, my tummy was always the first to go when I lost weight; now it's everything but. Fascinating.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Hi Ladies!

Did Stage 3 workout A1 today. Blue you were right, lot's of squats, but I didn't actually mind them all that much. I certainly cringed when I realized lunges were in the BWM though...

I used to do crossfit so the snatch was actually fun to get to do again! I could certainly use work on my form I'm sure. The overhead squat was definitely tough and it's hard to keep the weight behind your head (mine would creep forward quite a bit). Not sure how much I'll be able to increase on some of these, but here's where I started:

Snatch: 15lbs
    Overhead dumbell squat: 5lb/10lb
    Incline dumbell press: 15lb dumbbells
    1 leg romainian deadlift: 10lb dumbbells
    bent over row: 20lb bar
    Woodchop: 30lbs
    Plank: Have a hard time with these, can only do one at 60 sec, the other at 45
    BWM: (only did one due to time) 5:30. Wanted to die

Interested to see how I feel tomorrow...
  • ramalem

NSV today--I got some pants in the mail that were a little tight but a small size and without stretch; it reminded me that I had some Levis in the closet that haven't seen the light of day since 2009 or maybe 2010. I put them on and they fit! The muffin top's a bit more than I'd like but they fit! And I can even sit in them. Bonus points :)

Yay Jen! :drinker:
  • Blueberry09
    Nice NSV Jen! I had a similar one with a pair of pants I had bought probably last year when they were on sale. I didn't need them at the time so they sat in the package for a long time. When I tried them on, the fit perfectly! Not even any struggle to get them done up! It won't be long till I'm down another size (I hope!) Unfortunately they don't make those pants anymore :sad:

Good Job Ramalem!! I felt my first workout A for days afterwards :bigsmile: Now my muscles are mildy achey from yesterday. Nowhere near the DOMS from the first time.
  • sleepyjen
    Thanks!

I benched the Oly bar the day before yesterday, and I think my hand grip was too wide/ the bar not quite where it should have been, and I felt my right pec pull like hell. Kinda brutal DOMS yesterday and today, just on my right side. lol. Glad I can join you in feeling the ache!
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Wtg Jen!
    Minter balls killed me today, and it was only 3 min total of running. Holy wow!! I like 2A better than B.
  • sleepyjen
    I realized those jeans might have appeared in 2011--mfp wasn't showing my loss in the ticker b/c it remembers when I was 123 in spring '11. I'd forgotten how many times I've been on this merry-go-round.

Today I had a scale victory--when I started losing this summer I was at my highest weight--about 147.5. I'm down 15 today. Yay!
  • bepeejaye
    Jen...congratulations!!! :flowerforyou:

Blueberry, yep...I think for Friday during Workout A, I will squat with no weight, till I get the form right (for the Single Arm Overhead Squat)... I am so sore from Monday's workout! Maybe it is the numerous squats that one has to do, or the fact that I had taken a week's rest...whew!!!

Thanks for the YWTL thought, I will do a full rep afore starting on the second rep. I watched some videos and cannot wait to try it today! But so sore....I guess heels are out today for work :grumble:
  • Blueberry09
    YAY Jen -a scale victory! I haven't had a real one of those in almost a year!

BPJ - I was sore for a long time after my first A (and I rested the week before too!) As with everything it does get better :smile: Including intervals (minter balls??) Terrie!

Stage 3 is officially DONE! :bigsmile: I was able to bump my YTWL weight up to 8lbs but it wasn't pretty! I'm pretty sure my form sucked LOL

Stage 4 starts Monday! Not looking forward to all those lunges again :grumble:
  • ramalem
    Holy DOMS. Not looking forward to B tomorrow... gonna have to push through the pain.

@Blue way to go!

@BPJ- I also opted out of heels today for work, and took the elevator down as stairs are tough hahaha. I think it is due to the amount of squats, but I also things since my weight is so low (compared to my highest in stage 1) my form is better. I feel like the only thing that I'm not good at with form in the single arms is keeping that weight behind my head. Having a mirror really helps.

@Jen - YAY! I haven't had a scale victory in quite a long time :)
  • Blueberry09
    I think you'll find B a walk in the park compared to A :laugh: THe YTWLs are the hardest part - I recommend lower weights to start and work your way up.
  • sleepyjen
    Way to go Blueberry, finishing stage 3! And thanks for the love.

Did I tell you guys that the issue with my knees is one the book alludes to? My quads are strong, my hamstrings and adductors less so--so my quads are pulling my kneecaps out of alignment. I think they're getting better. Pain's pretty rare, not even on the stairs or anything.
  • ramalem
    @Jen, I think I have a bit of that problem as well...
  • Blueberry09
    Jen, are you going to continue on your own program then? Or pick up where you left off on the New Rules?
  • sleepyjen
    Ramalem, you might think about finding stuff you can do to strengthen those adductors--I have a whole roster of exercises but squeezing a pillow or ball between my knees/thighs is helping.

Blue, I was wondering the same thing--I don't know that I can pick up where I left off, or perhaps should start at the beginning of Stage 2 again, or maybe start the whole program again….no clue. Any advice?
  • bepeejaye
    Jen...maybe start from Stage 2?

Like I had posted on another thread, I di Stage 3 Workout B yester - all was well save for the YTWL - need to revise it...

The workouts quickly get complicated as one goes into a new stage. Sometimes before one can master the form, the stage is over! I was contemplating modifying/tweaking the workouts (incorporate simple/compound lifts, chin ups/pull ups, push ups...)...but for now, I will stick with it....