From splasher to swimstar...I hope!

Options

Replies

• holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    ProfessorOwl - Right?! I find I also am not a mouth breather but without a nose clip (or mask) I would inhale and drown.
    Welcome. I have bad knees so swimming is just perfect for me. You can find lots help and good motivation. Keep swimming.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Holly, currently in central BC, Canada in the mountains, so a lot of snow and glacier melt right now. There are other places to swim that are warmer right now, I just wasn't in any of those locations at the time. I am hoping to try a local smaller lake this weekend. There can be some beautiful warm swimming locations you just have to search for them.

I am from southern Ontario so I grew up swimming in Lake Erie. That water is a lot warmer.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wear a nose clip so my breathing is through my mouth except on flip turns when I still exhale through my nose a bit, the clip is not so tight so as not to allow for that. I never really thought about if there was a right or wrong way, I have plenty of other areas to focus my technique concerns on so its not a top priority as seems to work fine.

Thought I'd give a bit of an update on how I have been fin dining kicking since my last posts about hating it and not knowing what the heck I was doing etc.

I feel like I have had a major break through! First I tried the two beat method, or whatever it is called when you do one kick per arm rotation, that was great to get into the rhythm and I am still using this some of the time. Then I started with the 3 kicks per arm rotation. I found some advice talking about counting one, two three etc which really helped and came naturally to me as I'm a musician. Now I feel like my whole body is working and moving for the same purpose. And I'm definitely faster, not super fast mind you but I'm happily swimming 2500m in an hour, Yay!

Thanks to those of you have offered some pointers :-)
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    ProfessorOwl - Right?! I find I also am not a mouth breather but without a nose clip (or mask) I would inhale and drown.
    Welcome. I have bad knees so swimming is just perfect for me. You can find lots help and good motivation. Keep swimming.

Thanks Holly
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I've been away for a while but getting back into it. Went for a refresher swim last night and it felt so good!
    Finished the physio for my back so feeling ready to go.
    I have my 1 mile swim on 23rd August in Loch Lomond which should be great!
    I'm not going for any time as this will be my first open water swim event so just looking to complete it safely and go slow and steady.
    I'm looking to practice some open water with a wetsuit over the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone had any tips re the wetsuit? I know you get swim/triathlon specific ones. Money is a bit tight at the mo so I can't decide between hiring one or actually just buying a cheapish one.
    All advice welcome :)
    Lxx
  • holly1283
    Options
    Good for you laurochka. Glad to hear your back is in shape. Remember to not overdo it. I will be swimming my first mile in open water in Aug.10 in a lake here in Pennsylvania. We can do this. I think I could be your mother so it's nice to see you getting started much younger than me.:wink::wink:
  • ashenriver
    Options
    Hey Laurochka, I have also been away.

My open water swim is in less then a week, I will have more tips after I find out what doesn't work for me.:laugh:

My advice so far is to hire a wetsuit. It is not something you want to be cheap on. Also try different styles and brands. I went and tried on several before I found the one that fit me best. I was also able to get it on sale since it was last years model. It is meant to be very tight and have no lumps or folds. Also I was told you use body glide. I took mine out for a test drive and its amazing how buoyant it makes. But after awhile I could tell that I needed some more adjustments. I had it too loose behind my knees.

I will be sure to update next week after my swim.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Best of luck in the swim, Ashen, looking forward to the after action report........
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Thanks Ashen,

All the best with your swim. I'm really excited to hear how you get on and any sage advise you acquire.
    Holly 1283 - Your swim is a week or two before mine so all the best and I look forward to hearing your report too.

I have been researching wetsuits and will go and try some at our local Tri store in the next week or so. I can't decide whether to hire or buy. I may use it again in the future - anyway I'll keep you posted.

I had a great swim last night 40x25m lengths so 1km in about 28 mins. I'm not fast but it felt good and steady and like I could have done more but the pool was closing!

Problem today is that my back is killing me - similar pain to the issues I had in April. I wonder whether I overdid it? It's my lower back/sacroiliac joint area and I'm pretty uncomfortable and stiff today and can't help but think it's linked to last night's swim.

When I was getting physio they said I tilt my pelvis forward so compress the joints in my lower back, I got core exercises to strengthen and also train my glutes - apparently my hamstrings kick in to early in some exercises. I've been doing them but maybe need to build up more so I'm not hyperextending my back when swimming?

Any advice welcome!
    I really enjoyed last night's swim and want to get on with serious training for August but a bit disheartened at my back.

Thanks everyone :)
    Lxx
  • swimdeb1
    swimdeb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try alternating using fins/no fins.
  • ashenriver
    Options
    After action report of my 2.1km swim.
    I put a list of tips at the end of the post.

My goal time was 45 minutes, I would have been happy with anytime before 60 minutes. Instead my official time was 2:18:43, The means I was swimming for over 2 hours.

The one thing that took me by surprise was the mental hurdle I had to get over at the start. It was there, it was nasty, and it wanted to win. I had to fight the battle to not quit right at the beginning. I had to believe that I could make it across. And I did, even if took over twice as long as I predicated. I went slow and took my time at the beginning, every so often I would stop and get my bearings. We were spaced enough at the start that there was not a lot of congestion. A few times when I stopped at the beginning someone almost ran into me. The water was colder then expected.

I really enjoyed my swim, even though I was tired and fighting the current, I loved the way I was moving through the water and being out in the open swimming away. When I would get tired I would stop, or swim breast, or just go on my back and kick to get my breath back.

I went harder and pushed myself the most right at the end. I could see I was so close to the end and wanted to make it. I honestly couldn't figure out why it was so tough to finish. I would look up and see the finish line and think, "It has to be closer" "Its closer then it looks" Turns out I was lying to myself and didn't know it.

The reason why it took so long to finish was there was a stronger then normal current that pulled you far off course. Even the fasted swimmers finished at a longer time (around 30% longer). 200 of the 740 swimmers (25%) were pulled from the water. I was disappointed I didn't even make it close to my goal finish time. But I made it, I didn't give up and I am now more prepared for next time.
    I didn't know how strong the current was, or how far off I had most likely pulled off course, until after the swim. I had to mentally push myself to keep going knowing I had been swimming for 2 hours.

If you have any other questions you can ask, and I may add more later, but my batter is about to die and I am almost at my destination (I write this in transit)

Tips:
    -Learn and practice sighting while swimming, it will save you time and energy
    -Did you know you can buy swimming gloves, booties and caps to keep you warm in addition to the wetsuit.
    -Make sure you make it in time for package pickup so you can get your shirt and other swag.
    -Use ant-chaff/body glide. Use is any place you think you might need it and don't neglect your neck, many swimmers had marks around the neck from chaffing. I actually rubbed the back of my neck raw due to no body glide in that location and I misaligned my velcro flap.
    - The cap they give you is latex and clings to your hair, you can wear a silicon cap then put the latex one over it.
    - One of the great ideas I saw was one swimmer had put those running arm warmers on her arms over her wetsuit to make her more visible to her spotter (hers were bright pink). I am totally going to use this for my next race.
    -Make sure you eat something for breakfast, you will need that fuel.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Ashen, thanks for the report & congratulations on such a great swim. You fought through & made it!!!! I'm really impressed you stuck with it at the beginning, when the demon thoughts were trying to convince you to do otherwise - that is a VERY tough hurdle to overcome. You stuck it out when over 25% of the swimmers who started had to be pulled out - that is fantastic!!!! You passed along some great tips & advice for those doing OW swims, I'm sure they will be used & greatly appreciated. You should be very proud of yourself, you were terrific!!!!!!!!!!
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Ashen - you're a superhero! 2 hours is amazing - that's a gruelling swim,
    I think you did great to finish it sounds tough - well done.
    Thanks for the tips too - I wouldn't have thought of anti-chaf but am away to look for some now!!

CONGRATS!!!!!
    Lxx
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Quick question......I got my wetsuit today and just wanted some feedback as to fit. It seems to fit ok but I'm actually wondering if it's too large. I'm not that tall but I went with the measurements from the sizing guide that were for waist, hips weight etc and cause I'm a bit overweight these fell into the size category for someone taller. The suit's pretty snug but maybe a tag long in the leg, it crinkles a little at the ankles and behind my knees. It feels snug round my arms and chest but isn't completely flush at the arch of my lower back, there's a wee space. I think a smaller size might be a struggle to get into but am interested in your thoughts?
  • ashenriver
    Options
    As a clerk at the running/tri store I went to mentioned that the fit is in part the size/weight of the person because of the buoyancy factor.

You do not want to feel too and you don't want and rolls, or loose rubber. Because that is where you will chafe the most. It should be smooth along your skin. For the crinkle behind your knees, double check that you are putting it on properly, and you might be able to work them out.

If you have a tri store or club I would maybe ask if they can check your fit for you. Sometimes I think its hard to tell. I think the space at the lower back might be fine. If you can maybe order the medium and return the one that doesn't fit you the best.

*All my advice is given with the caveat that I am by no means an expert.

PS: I loved how sporty my wetsuit looked on me and when swimming seeing the design on the arm.
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Thanks Ashen,

Yeah I've ordered the medium so I can compare and maybe return one. I read somewhere that the gap at the back might cause water to collect there and you'd feel cold.
    I'll keep you posted!
  • holly1283
    Options
    Good job Ashen! I guess I'm next up on Aug. 10. I'm not going for the win and it's warm enough for no wetsuits. Having never done anything like this before, should I be doing anything different these last 2 weeks in preparation as far as training? Remember I'm in my 60s so don't be too harsh. Thanks.
  • ashenriver
    Options
    My next swim (3.1km) is Aug 9, then I am completing the fun by flying overnight to the East Coast.

I am just keeping up with my regular swimming schedule 2-3 times a week. Ideally you should at least be swimming your distance or more, I have just been swimming around 2.5km per session.

A friend of mine who is a part time professional athlete (wrestling and arm wrestling), he would take it easy the week before. I think the last thing you want to do right before an event is push yourself too hard and then get sore or fatigued.

It sounds like you have been practicing and getting your sessions in. Just keep up the good work. Just make sure you get enough food and sleep in the days before, that should set you up well.

Good luck on your swim. It is totally ok to hang back at the start a bit and to take your time. And just remember you can do it.
  • holly1283
    Options
    Thanks Ashen. I envy your enthusiasm. :wink:
  • Laurochka
    Options
    So I got a smaller wetsuit and it's definitely a better fit. I was meant to go outdoor swimming tonight with a friend but she couldn't make it so I went to the pool instead.
    Swam 1 mile, breaststroke in 53 min, nice and steady. It felt good, I got a nice rhythm and didn't feel to tired or anything. There is the tiniest twinge in my back but almost negligible, I was much more aware of my core and pelvis position so we'll see how it feels rookeries. This was my first non stop mile so really pleased to get one done and I feel good about how it went.
    Lxx