• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good work.

Hopefully no back issues.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yea Laurochka! Hope your back is still good today.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Great job, Laurochka, congrats on the mile!!!!!!
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey Ashen,

How was your 9th Aug Swim?

I've got my Great Scottish Swim next Saturday!!
    Going for an open water swim this Saturday too.
    So excited about it!
    Lxx
  • holly1283
    Options
    This is for anyone out there who wears a wetsuit. Last week at my OW swim some of the swimmers wore wetsuits; most did not. While we were waiting for the results one man mentioned that by wearing one even when you are tired it helps keep your legs more bouyant. This is not meant to be a criticism. I'm just wondering if that is true. I will probably never wear one. One lady had songs on her iPod. Any info out there?
  • swimdeb1
    swimdeb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with stopping way to much. You will build stamina with practice. Better to stop and rest than keep swimming and get sloppy with your new stroke techniques. Kicking can seem very slow. Keep going.
    You will be amazed at how quickly you will advance
  • Laurochka
    Options
    hey all,

So I had my first open water practice this Sat morning. It was so worthwhile. I've never really seriously swum in a wetsuit before and it is quite different.
    I'll be doing breaststroke for my mile swim as my front crawl isn't up to standard yet!
    I noticed a HUGE difference in the bouyancy of my legs - they lay much higher in the water and I struggles to get a good position to find "purchase" for my kick...if that makes sense?
    I kind of worked it out towards the end of my swim that by mostly keeping my head out of the water I could ensure my legs lay lower and that gave me a better push from my kick.
    Definitely glad that I've had at least one chance to practice in the wetsuit so it won't be totally unfamiliar come Saturday.
    Any tips/ advice gratefully received. Otherwise cross your fingers for me this Sat! Lxx
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all

(adding the southern US flavour since that is where I am currently) I am on vacation and the first week I have had no wifi, phone, internet. I have been spending time with family at a beach house so I got to do a little bit of ocean swimming. I don't recommend it, too salty.

This is the first chance I have had to be on MFP since my swim on August 10th. I completed my 3.1 km swim in 1 hour and 15 minutes, much faster then my 2.1 km swim. I also won free entry into the 2.1 km swim for next year. I am hoping to beat my time (2 hours 18 min).

Holly I hope your swim went great and you enjoyed it.
    And yes a wet suit will make you more buoyant over all. I can just float there and it will keep me up. Buoyancy is another reason aside from warmth that wet suits are worn.

Laurochka, Good luck for your swim this Saturday. Have fun and don't forget to lube up. Lubricate anywhere you think you might chaff and most especially your neck. Most swimmers exit the water with red marks along their necks for hours after.
  • Laurochka
    Options
    hey Ashen,

Thanks for the tips! Well done on your 3.1km swim - awesome time. Keep enjoying your holidays!
    Lxx
  • holly1283
    Options
    Well done Ashen!! Woot woot = )
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Great job, Ashen, congratulations!!!! Enjoy the rest of your vacation, we'll all be here when you get back......
  • holly1283
    Options
    Any tips on how to get more out of my flutter kick? After my OW swim I was paddling around on vacation and noticed when I float and just kick I wasn't going very far. thanks
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Point the toes back toward where you came from & kick from the hip (not the knee) so that you use the big muscles in the leg. The other thing I would suggest is extra kicking when you practice, do some kick sets & concentrate on getting the feel of the feet fluttering on the ends of your legs......
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Just bumping this topic as it had disappeared in the new forums and I'd be sad to lose all this great content.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm not Mac, but they say the distance you would ordinarily swim in a week, you can swim in a day!
    Try swimming 1/2 the distance at least twice one week, 3/4 the distance at least once in the following week... and so on!
    Don't know much about Open Water swims though!
  • Laurochka
    Options
    Thanks for the info :smile: