Jo's Packing It On Journal!

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Same. No lifting last week (per my program) and it was TOUGH! Sadly, returning to lifting on Monday was equally tough...but only because the routine changed and I'm learning to front squat (my form is gawd awful!)

it's hard- I'm going to be in a world of hurt tonight but i'm GOING- no questions asked!!! I think I'll go dead lift- maybe. Not sure- but I'm going god damnit.

front squatz are awesomez. I like them- I actually prefer them to back squats- but I think it's partially my ego- I know front squats are lighter than back squats- so it's acceptable for me to have a shoddy front squat... it's actually only like 20-30 lbs off my back squat.

Which is what's embarrassing- my back squat is about the same as my bench. :( jesus. WHY.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your bench is insanely good :wink:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Hahahaha, maybe!!! I'm back squatting close to my weight, but my bench is only a little more than half! My front squat is...I don't even know because my first time was a total fail!
  • JoRocka
    Options

it's just breaking body weight- I wouldn't call it insantely good- it's just okay- 170 was my last max. My friend is convinced my form is off.. I'm not sure I feel weak the way he is tryign to fix it (And yes he actually knows what he's doing- he's the ONLY person I will actually lift with)

... we did Bench and Squats last night.

Bench was meh- I squeeked out one partially assisted 165- again form issues coming into play. I don't work the things I'm not good at so progress here is slow.

Squats- Friend decieded we were saying EFF it- and he just loaded the crazy fast- and we went 135- 185-205 and just did as much as I could.

The first 205 was a fail- but I am still fighting for *kitten* to ankles- not 'barely legal'- so he said- stop trying to force it- we are only doing this to convince you that you CAN do a squat with this weight- so I did 3 barely legal squats (if they were legal at all) I felt like a big fat phony.
    sigh oh well.

Going down was better weight wise- I did 3 at 205 and then back down to 185 and 135- they felt good- felt like real squats.

I'm debating doing SMOLOV starting January. not fo rthe faint of heart- but I think I need it.

Weight 161- 165 yesterday
    162 this morning.

Meh- I have been kind of all over on food- my protein isn't where it needs to be- I need to buckle down.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly impressed with your strength. You'll have to tell me what SMOLOV stands for. :wink:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm incredibly impressed with your strength. You'll have to tell me what SMOLOV stands for. :wink:

Aw thanks! I feel like I started at an advantage- I grew up on a ranch and have been tossing hay my whole life. My father is a Marine- I did not grow up in a 'delicate' home LMAO. I've been lifting for many years too- I love it- it makes my heart explode out of my chest- I just get SO excited about lifting.

SMOLOV is a Russian Power lifter- it's designed to add TONS of weight onto your squat- you squat 3 days straight. It is NOT for the faint of heart- it's actually miserable.

It's Russian power lifting- where the weights squat you- not the other way around.
    some articles to read- my friend was talking about doing it too- we might start this in January.
    http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3615/articles/smolov-squat-routine

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-add-100-pounds-to-your-squat-smolov/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smolov_Squat_Routine

But my squats are pathetic- like I'm embarrassed FOR myself.

Weighed in aroudn 162/163 this morning.

Not sure I caught it last night- yesterday was 160/161. I'm definitely losing definition and feeling squishy- but the scale hasn't really climbed- I'm afraid I've just lost muscle mass. Grumble grumble.

I will not give up- this is not even half way through the second month!!!! MORE FOOD_ MORE WEIGHT!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yesterday
    Hang Cleans-
    1 set of 8 x 45 lbs- warm up
    3 x 5 at 95 lbs
    Lateral Delt Raises
    3 x 10 @ 10 lbs (much wailing and gashing of teeth here)
    Reverse incline fly/rear delt
    3 x 10 @ 15 lbs

20 minutes of finger cymbal practice
    25 minutes of dance.

Successful night. Don't think I really ate OVER- well maybe I did- not sure- doing a crappy job of tracking- but oh well.

Dirty bulking is my middle name. Eating ALL the cookies!!! OMNOMNOMNOM

no weight on the scale today- slacking!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    You're a beast and I love it!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    LOL thanks.

I literally had to drag myself to the gym tonight- literally drag myself- working on a sewing project and two bowls of chili- just delicoius, and warm and outside was cold and ucky- but it got done!!! WOOT WOOT.

3 minute warm up
    30/30 second split
    SB swings 25 lbs
    Box Jumps- 9 risers

80% deads- ladder
    4-3-2-1-2-3-4

not pretty- but whatever- done and done

2 rounds following
    Box jumps- 11 risers
    80 lbs walking lunges fwd/backward

45 minutes solid dance
    Enta Omri
    No finger cymbals.

happy I got some work on my belt- happy about sewing project work- started taking it to work to work on it at lunch. 15-25 minutes of work. yay me.

=D
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Ugh, it is so hard to drag yourself out when the weather sucks. It's 17 F here right now. No fun at all! I go straight to the gym after work, otherwise I'd never make it there. Once I'm home, I'm home!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Ugh, it is so hard to drag yourself out when the weather sucks. It's 17 F here right now. No fun at all! I go straight to the gym after work, otherwise I'd never make it there. Once I'm home, I'm home!

Yeah- it was REALLY hard last night-normally it isn't a HUGE issues but last night was a push. I should not have had my 2nd bowl of chili- one was enough. But I was really behind on food. In retrospect there was no way I was winning the battle- I was behind on food- and one bowl wasn't going to fuel my work out- two just bogged me down- oh well. It is what it is- this is why I pre-prepare my food... so I don't wind up eating snickerdoodles and coffee all day LMAO. Anyway- it was like 20* when I left- was dropping down to the low teens! So yup- hard to do.

I need to push my deads- I'm having grip issues still and I realized I'm letting it stall my work. Oh well. I am going to a new gym this month- they keep chalk out all the time. WOOT WOOT.

My issue is I dance- I have to do the work- and that means I can't be there till 9 PM when the aerobics room opens up after classes. So I come home- do stuff- then try to pack up and leave around 730- I didn't make it- last night I got there at like 850... but - still 9-11- could be worse- could have just stayed home!!!!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    No kidding...wow.

Yeah, I have grip issues too, which is totally stalling my dead. Moving to the new program with more sets, less reps, will defintiely be beneficial for me there.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    No kidding...wow.

Yeah, I have grip issues too, which is totally stalling my dead. Moving to the new program with more sets, less reps, will defintiely be beneficial for me there.
    edit... I have no life- all I do is work and lift and dance- my BF is out of town and only is here once a week- so I have flexibility and no family to be home for so dont' feel like I'm a dediated nazi.. .I'm not- I'm just.. bored and lonely and have no life. And I love lifting. :D

that's what I did- now I'm trying to dial it back down to build a better base- a month ago there were times I had 15 or more sets in my workout- it takes a while- **** gets REALLY heavy- know that you WILL fail and it's okay- but it's a ton of fun to move that much weight. :D

Keep us posted on how it goes!!!
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Too funny! I, on the other hand, work 50+ hours/week, go to grad school, and have a 3.5-year-old son.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Too funny! I, on the other hand, work 50+ hours/week, go to grad school, and have a 3.5-year-old son.

oof- gurl- get it.

I have 3 jobs- done with school. no kids- no thank you- well- I have a 30 year old roommate who might as well be a kid- he is useless- barely cleans up after himself- leaves a mess EVERYWHERE.

BF is out of town- he is cleaner than I am (more tidy I should say- I'm not dirty- just messy)- but still - relationships take work too... not like grad school and a kid.

ick kids- better woman than me. I can't do it!
  • TriLifter
    Options

Hahahaha...I saw your other thread. I love my kid, but if I could go back in time, I wouldn't have one.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Hahahaha...I saw your other thread. I love my kid, but if I could go back in time, I wouldn't have one.

yeah- I have an unnatural hatred for children. I'm a suprisingly angry person- and they just bring it out even more- but it's not even anger- it's mostly disgust. They just- yeah no.

Plus- I'm honest with myself- I'm selfish- I want ME time- I like being at the gym till 11 PM. kids mean none of that- no going away when ever you want- no quiet nights with the man- life changes- drastically- I know this. I accept it and chose to NOT accept that life. I'm selfish and I know it. :D
  • JoRocka
    Options
    162 this morning
    Starting to considering upping the food consumption- highest I've seen was 165 and hasn't stayed there.
    Pants have filled out- I need to take measurements and pictures- I was supposed to do that at BF's house at Christmas (full length mirrors are at his place) but I'm only up there once a month or so. Which is nice- not every day- but I like getting consistent pictures. And measurements- needz take measurements.

No lifting last night- I had a lot of errands to run and was on the fence about it anyway- feeling very crunchy lately. I did dance for 45 minutes- that was mentally hard- my musicality seems very off to me- so that's frustrating- I have a gig Saturday and then an in-house performance Sunday- making me nervous because it's students/teachers there. But it is what it is. BF dearest is coming- that will be nice- he never gets to see me dance any more- he works weekends.

I need to be better about protein- that is probably my biggest most glaring error.

Front squats tonight I think- maybe some BB glute raises and hammy things- or maybe split squats- I dunno. Feeling ambivalent today. Stupid winter- I hate winter- makes me depressed.
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Stupid winter- I hate winter- makes me depressed.

QFT
  • JoRocka
    Options
    164 today.

I"m not doing very well at the scale- still seems to be stuck around the same band of weight. NEEDS MORE FOOD.

I haven't been as consistent with the tracking- but I haven't been working out quiet as much so I'm definitely not going crazy with it.

Dead's today. GO ME!