30 Day Shred and Nordic Skiing

Options

Replies

• 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Whoo hoo! I am now the proud owner of lovely deep pink and silver Adidas trainers and a rather fetching shade of pink yoga mat. These should co-ordinate wonderfully with my pink hand weights!! lol x OH thinks its hysterical and keeps humming, "I'm a Barbie girl" to me!. I am almost ready to start, just need the measurements taken now. I have been worrying as to how I will manage if there is a lot or something I can't yet do. So it was such good advice LMV to just keep marching on the spot. I feel a tad better about it all now! I do however think it is a bit sad how apprehensive and unsure I am about it. When I told my Dad what I was starting he just thought it would be easy for me considering I was a gymnast (at international level) for so many years. I reminded him that was over 30 years and 3 children ago!! I think maybe parents always see us as "children".
    I have also planned to make a casserole in the slow cooker tomorrow for OH in case I won't be able to after shredding! lol x He asked me how long this "shredding" would last and when I told him 20 minutes daily his look of disbelief was so funny. He thought it was for an hour or two a day. He obviously hasn't seen the video! He has been so supportive whilst I have been preparing for this shred that although I don't feel pressurised, I would like to complete it for him as well as myself.
    Will report back tomorrow how it has all gone.
    Bm x x
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    International gymnast? INTERNATIONAL GYMNAST!! You kept that quiet and quite frankly now I know that there is absolutely no reason at all why you shouldn't be able to gradually build yourself up to do the shred BM. You are obviously very talented! Love the sound of your Barbie outfit. I have a purple mat, purple top and lilac weights myself and I hadn't realized they were coordinated until you mentioned yours! I shall think about you in pink now, just like I think about MITM in her gold Kylie hotpants!

PB - welcome, so glad you found us. Bean cans are great as weights, I used those at first or MITM mentioned that bottles of water are good too. Will be great to have you shredding as well.

Looking forward to hearing how you and BM get on with it! xx
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Lol LMV!! I never actually competed at International level, just trained at it. it was fun, hard work and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I don't think I was ever "hungry" enough to push myself further. I had my horses which were the biggest love of my life so never really put the time in Gymnastics that it deserved. I am writing this now but really I am just procrastinating re the Shred! Will pop in later x x
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Day 1 Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did it, I did it, I did it!!!!! Yay !!!

Hard work....yes. Sense of achievement.......Enormous!!

Have to say, I have only just finished and my whole body seems to be trembling! lol x I enjoyed it in a very weird kind of way. No doubt that novelty will soon wear off! I definitely found the hardest thing was the jump rope, I had to revert to "single leg jumps" a few times but other than that seemed Ok with a modified version of other things. I could practically hear my muscles groaning with the effort but I expect they will get payback when I ache tomorrow!

Now......a question to the other shredders. Is it normal to really, really want a glass of wine after each shred??? lol x I could murder one but am going to have a bottle of Evian instead!

1 down 29 to go x x
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Oops! On such a high I forgot to say the push ups were horrendous. Took me so long to get in the correct modified position I didn't have to do many!! lol x Definitely don't have the strength for those....yet! :happy:
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Morning Shredders!

Day 11 - done!

Yay BM, you're a shredder now! I can't believe you fall into the "enjoy" it camp!! You might find you ache a bit tomorrow as I think both MITM and I ached for the first 3 days when we started but it wears off after that.

I can't remember why level 2 was my favourite last time, it seemed pretty awful today. I struggled to complete the second lot of oblique jumps, had to put my weights down for the second set of some squatty press movement and the jumps in the plank were horrendous so I stuck to the modified move. I did love the skating though and I seem to find that really easy. The sweat was dripping off me by the end! I bet you're glad I shared that with you, what a pretty picture I paint!

BM - even I (who loves a glass of wine normally) don't want a glass after a shred, I just need a gallon of water. You must be feeling so proud of yourself, well done. It's great to have another shredder, what a team we are and hopefully we'll have PB on board soon as well!

Keep shredding!

xx
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Oooh LMV, the 2nd level sounds scary! I am not even going to look at it til I have finished the first. I am not too sure if I actually enjoy it, I am so relieved to have started it that I felt really good. I am reserving judgement for a while! OH took my measurements last night and they read for horrendous reading, I think if shredding can improve those numbers I would do it on a loop!
    Also had to give in and after the Evian had a fabulous glass of Chardonnay, it did fit in with my calories so I figured I deserved it! lol x If the thought of a glass of wine at the end of 20 minutes keeps me shredding I am all for it!! x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Afternoon ShredderS - remember the days when there was just you and me LMV?!!!

Well there was a very good reason why I couldn't remember the exercises!! I've joined you LMV and jumped camps - I was in shock, I absolutely HATED level 2. I cannot believe I ever said I liked it because with every new circuit I was detesting it more and more! The ice-skating is the best bit but if we were on ice, I'd have slipped up I was so shaky by then!

Positives; I do remember last time round on the warm up not being able to touch my feet - I can now! And yes I managed the exercises but with 1.5kg weights and it was not pretty. I was one dripping, red faced, sight at the end moaning and groaning loudly!! Still I must have burnt some calories though as I was standing in a pool of sweat! And I was still trembling from the sheer shock an hour later!!

Well done BM great to have you on board. After today level 1 has suddenly become a distant happy memory - I fear there is now 9 days ahead of sheer torture for LMV and me! And yes, I totally felt SHREDDED today!!
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Morning Shredders,

Day 12 - Done!

Like you MITM, I am still shaking and "gently" glowing ( to put it a bit more delicately. My husband came into the kitchen when I was half way through today's workout and was pootling round. When I'd finished he just said "I think you ought to sit down" and gave me an enormous glass of water. I don't remember Level 2 being as intense as that before so maybe I wasn't doing it properly last year or maybe I've lost some core strength after not doing as much Pilates this year. I had to put my 2kg weights down and resort to cans of butter beans for some of the exercises. But, I got through it. Just 8 more of this workout to go - groan!!

Keep shredding!!

xx
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Day 2 - done!!!

LMV Your post made me giggle!! I wonder what our poor husbands think of all this pain and torture we are putting ourselves through! lol. Your's sounds very supportive too. I was out walking earlier and had left my phone at home. OH was trying to ring me and started to panic after a few attempts in case, (his words)" I had done myself an injury doing Jillian!" I laughed so much at his choice words I couldn't answer him!
    I have done day 2. Am exhausted but happy. Used my wine bottles for weights too today. As for glowing, I got up of the floor and a splash of my "glow" landed on the TV!!! I swear I perspire more doing this than on my 50 min walk in 35c+ heat in the mornings. I rather wisely finished all my laundry and housework before shredding today because I think I was still trembling when I went to bed last night. I also ached in so many places this morning, particularly the front of my thighs. I am sure I prefer the strength to the cardio sections, I find them much easier, or maybe that should read...not as difficult! I am sure I am doing them right though because every time I get up off a chair or the sofa I emit a groan from the pain in my upper and lower abdo. No complaints though because this must mean it's working, Yay!! lol x
    MITM you have me intrigued with the skating. I am however not going to peep at the next section in case it intimidates me too much! Can I just ask you both if you moved on after 7 days, or 7 days of part one? Did you have days off? last one! Did you know when it was time to move onto the next level?
    Happy Shredding,
    BM xx
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Hey BM, you've got the "Jillian" bug! Well done on completing day 2.

Right, your questions. As it's a 30 day shred with 3 levels, I do 10 days on each level. I do have some rest days usually on a week- end when my routine is different and we may be away etc. I tried last time, and am trying this time, to make sure I do Monday to Friday and if possible get one shred in over the week-end as well. However, I think it's really important to listen to your body and if after 3 days you need a rest day then take one, but make sure you get back to it the day after! I'm not sure if I knew when to move on, I just decided to try the next level after 10 days and do what I could. I think I only realized how much I had improved at the very end when I went back and did level 1 and it was so much easier. To be honest, it feels like a struggle every day, but it is worth it as it definitely improves your fitness levels.

It does feel good to know that you've worked so many muscles in your body doesn't it? And as you say, it shows it's working!

Well done!

xx

ps yes my husband is extremely supportive!
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Thanks LMV, that's cleared it up for me. I think I got a bit confused when either you or MITM said at the end you went back and did the three levels for one day each again, (if I am remembering correctly) and I wondered if you incorporated that into the 30 days or as extra and completed a 33 day shred!! lol x The 10 day each is a good guideline because I know if I get "comfortable" with level one I won't want to leave it. I was also planning on doing Mon-Fri with the weekends off. Unfortunately then though I won't finish by Christmas. It's good advice to maybe do a few days and if needed have a day off. I found TheFitHookers blog and she did alternate days from the beginning. Her story is, as you said, so inspirational.
    Tonight after a bath I am aching in every muscle in my body, I thought I would have to get OH to help me out of the bath! That would have been a struggle because I am no lightweight! :happy: Instead I just grit my teeth and tried not to grunt! However as weird as it sounds I see this pain as a good part of it and whilst not enjoying it am proud I worked hard enough to experience it! (Hope I am making sense),
    Am not going to measure until I have completed the first level no matter how tempted I am. Hopefully I will have been as successful as you with the inches lost.

Have a good evening all shredders......BM x x
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    I have just been online on Amazon and have now put Ripped in 30 on My Christmas List!! I figure if I start that after a short rest on finishing the Shred it will take me up to my UK Holiday! yay!! I know I may be running before I can walk but I always seem to need a plan to keep me motivated!! LMV I think I will become a "finisher"! :happy:
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    BM - Bracken and I would strongly recommend Jillian's BANISH FAT - 6 minute fixes!!! Bracken introduced us to it (needless to say LMV loves it as much as the SHRED ha!) but it is now my all time favourite exercise DVD. I'm intending to return to that once the dreaded SHRED is completed over the winter months after Christmas. If it helps the horrendous pain you are experiencing down the front of your legs I had for the first 4 days last year and I was in sheer agony every time I moved! Getting up and down the stair case was nearly impossible but it just disappeared overnight 4th day.

LMV - I haven't shredded yet today!! The central heating packed up and the engineer was here and there was no way I was going to be squealing in my hot pants with an audience! Amazingly I'm not in pain which I half expected to be after yesterday.

Having read the posts I'm now going to meet with Jillian!
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    P.S. BM - I hunted out my little book of weights and inches and the last time I shredded; I lost 4 pounds (and this was during the run up to Christmas!) and 2.5" off my waist, 2" off my tummy button, 3" off my stomach, 1.5" off my hips and an impressive 1.5" off the top of each thigh, so I could slip into my ankle skimming trousers and slinky red top on Christmas day. Which is why I got my kit on again today and did day 12, day 2, of nasty level 2 when I really, really didn't want to do it but surprise, surprise it wasn't as bad as yesterday and of course I feel so much better for it! So roll on tomorrow.
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hello Shredders. This thread is really humming with energy. Well done MITM and LMV, with moving into level 2. "Bring it on" seems to be the motto of the moment. BM, wow, you are on fire too- terrific. As LMV said, "INTERNATIONAL GYMNIST." But also, what about those horses you slipped in a reference to? I do not recall previous mention of such. I'd love to hear what you did horse-wise. I do know a younger woman who started out as a gymnast and then switched to horses and became a very competitive show jumper. Everyone always said her earlier gymnastics training had so much to do with her excellent balance. I did not post here yesterday but did mention my exercise, somewhat curtailed during the weekend, on the Getting Started thread yesterday. I had felt tired and a bit out of sorts. Today was much better as I did a 2 mile walk with Nellie. I was rather pleased as it is only 2C. I had a nice ride on my horse and did my Nordic track. I had hopes of doing at least a little Jillian but I had my student for tutoring so it really was not possible. However, reading here really makes me want to get my share of Jillian torture again.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Day 3-completed!

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement! I am going on Amazon after this to check out Banish Fat. Looks like a definite for my Christmas list! 6 Minutes sounds a lot better than the 40 of Ripped. I have just done my 3rd day, I managed to do more jumping Jacks today, however I HATE , I repeat, HATE the skipping rope. I find it by far the hardest thing to do.
    MTIM, my front of thighs are still screaming today, getting up or down off a chair is a nightmare, and don't even mention trying to get in and out of the bath. Hopefully it will soon go, overnight as yours did.
    Bracken, I had my first horse at a young age and was fortunate my 3 children loved horses too and could all ride before they could walk. I've had horses most of my life until my ex-husband decided the grass was greener (AKA the woman was younger)and then I just could not give them the time they deserved, as I was nursing full time in Intensive care and had 3 young children to bring up. My dream however is to have fields full of horses, donkeys, alpacas and a goat/sheep or two! I want to wake up on a cold frosty winter morning, look out of the window and see my 16.2 Hanovarian looking over his stable door waiting for me! And that is more than I think my family/friends know of my dreams! lol x (I miss my horses far more than I ever missed the ex!). If I ever won the lottery (even though I don't do it) I would have a place in the country for abandoned horses/donkeys etc and would make that my life's work.
    LMV.. I just know you will fit in those trousers! and after shredding (twice) you deserve to. MITM will be in her slinky red top, and Bracken, just 4 ibs from your lightest is amazing. I am still well over half a stone away from mine. x x

Keep shredding Ladies! x x
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Morning Shredders,

Day 13 - done!

Horrible person that she is, Jillian actually says towards the end of level 2 that she wants us to feel like we are going to die. Well she got what she wanted, I felt like I was going to die today. During the final cardio section I had to drop to my knees in the plank jacks and I couldn't manage my 2kg weights in the V raises, my arms were trembling so much I had to put them down! But another day over! I've just made myself a mug of warm water with a slice of lemon and fresh ginger in it. That seems to be reviving me!

Well done MITM and BM on another day done. BM I'm sure the stiffness will disappear very soon if you keep going with it. Well done on getting your exercise in too Bracken, esp in 2 degrees brrrrrrrr.

Lovely hearing about your dreams BM. I hope your dream place is somewhere in the rolling Welsh countryside!

Right, I'm off to catch up with the thread.

Keep Shredding.

xx
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Afternoon Shredders!

I know that line so well LMV - it sticks in my throat everytime she says it as I feel like I could be dying!!!

However today when Jillian ended with 'amazing job' I thought it was absolutely amazing that I was able to get up off the floor!!!! That final exercise I have to have my mat underneath me to catch me as I collapsed from the sheer effort. Any exercise with the word plank in it I hate! But I can already see results so I'm not giving up!

Day 13 done and dusted hurrah!!!!
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    OK - day 1 completed. OUUUCCCHHHHH!