30 Day Shred and Nordic Skiing

Options

Replies

• mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Evening Shredders!

Thank you BM for posting, for when I got up this morning I could actually feel that added effort I put in yesterday and had you not posted, I may well have not shredded today!!

Day 17 completed and of course once I started I loved it!

LMV - congratulations on getting into your hot LITTLE sundress - I hope you did a big twirl in front of the teacher!!!

My daughter told me yesterday she's the only girl in her class who was able to do a press up in PE! Now that is down to the lovely Jillian of course as my daughter introduced me to her DVDs, plus at her old school here, in Italian if you got an answer wrong you had to do 5 press ups in front of the class and again she was the only girl who had the strength! Thank goodness my school days are over I'd be doing a modified version!!

BRACKEN - do take care and don't slip up either!

Right well I shall be thinking of you tomorrow LMV as I remember absolutely HATING level 3!!!!!!! But this time round you may love it!

Be good Shredders!
  • brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hello Shredders. Pleased to say I managed some exercise today- there is nothing like thinking you should or couldn't do something to make you want to do it. Strange psychology, eh. So I did not exercise outdoors today and Nellie had to be content with being in the back yard. Fortunately, she seems comfortable at these cold temps and I have a coat for her if it gets really cold. She is loving the snow and spends a lot of time digging and nosing as if she is searching for something. I only hope there are no mice as the last thing I need is for her to take in a mouse. I did my time on the Nordic track, a bit moderated but not too bad and also got back on my treadmill for 1 1/2 miles. That seemed enough for today but I felt better for it. I went out for a short time in the afternoon to do a couple of errands and I am glad I did as I do not know if and when I'll get out tomorrow. It has started heavy snowing late this afternoon and already there is over a foot of new snow. All that shovelling and blowing my brother and neighbour did now is starting to look as if it was never done!
    LMV, you must be very pleased that you decided to make the smaller dress- your faith in yourself has paid off.
    Hard to believe that the 30 days are well over half way finished.
    Take care all.
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Day 9 Done!

I think my fitness levels have improved! I managed the last 2 minutes of cardio today straight through with no stopping, even the HATED jump rope. till am not finding it easy, especially the first 5-10 mins.

Bracken, so glad you are back to health, I know you are pleased to be active again, but maybe not too much too soon? x x Also have to say, although I know it's a right pain for you, I envy your snow! lol x

MITM, I just love your optimism! There is as much chance of LMV loving level 3 as me losing 7lb this week!! lol x x The only reason I can think she may possibly like it is that's it's nearly over!! I think I am possibly in the middle of you both and neither a lover nor hater of Shred. I just see it as something that has to be done! Congrats on day 17 completed.

LMV, You must be having such a good week as a result of your dedication to "The Shred".4lb and now your lovely dress fits! I would have just loved to see your tutors face! I am so happy for you that it is paying off, you deserve it and rather selfishly it inspires me. I only started it because of you and MITM and I am so glad I did. Your support and encouragement is much appreciated. Thank you both x x

Keep Shredding, Love BM x x

PS Bracken, had to giggle at Nellie and the thought of her bringing a mouse in. I have the same fear but with a lizard! x
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Well no shred yesterday - just didn't have the heart after a really difficult day at work. eventually walked away and came home as I was so angry and frustrated I couldn't concentrate. Still went to a dinner last night with wine tasting and although I obviously ate and drank far too much I really enjoyed it (taxi home). Have to catch the bus to work this morning as I left my car in the car park at work. Parents arriving this evening - could really do without that but they are determined to come and stay. Babysitting tonight so will be out fairly late and then 8,00am meeting with the Finance Partner on Friday (the main cause of my anger and frustration).

Sorry you had a funny turn Bracken - its pretty scary when that happens. Any idea what caused it?
    Really quite worried that my ball gown won't fit when I get it home tonight but will have to face that one when it comes to it. I think the shred is working but I'm not losing much in the way of weight - I think I left it a little too late which is unfortunate. Still I'm in a better position than I perhaps would have been. Need to get back into full focus after Christmas though.

I have Christmas week off which is a good thing as I think I really need a break. My stress levels are way to high.

Well talk to you all soon. Take care and keep shredding!

PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Morning Shredders,

Day 21 - done!

Well I'm here to tell the tale but I do feel just a little bit shattered! As I thought, come back level 2 all is forgiven - enough said. I now have an hour I which to recover before Pilates. There is a point in level 3 where Jillian says " Your six pack should be starting to show right now" absolutely no chance in my case as there is too big a layer of fat still, but I do hope there is now some muscle underneath it!

Bracken, so pleased to hear that you have managed some indoor exercise and that Nellie is happy pootling around in the snow. Do take great care of yourself though. I feel for you with all that additional snow coming down, clearing it must be like painting the Forth Bridge - a never ending job!

MITM - you must be so proud of your daughter's fitness levels. It must really help her confidence in settling into the new school as well. Being the best at something, especially fitness related, will give her a certain amount of kudos with her schoolmates as well.

BM - Go girl! You seem to have taken to the shred like a duck to water. Why did you resist doing it so long? I am absolutely certain your fitness levels will have improved already as it really is surprising how quickly Jillian knocks us into shape. The fact that you can do the cardio without stopping demonstrates that.

PB - you do sound terribly stressed and I think you did the right thing in leaving early yesterday. You probably needed the release of that night out so I hope you enjoyed it. Roll on Chrstmas (by which time you will be shredded) and that week off!

I'm off to my parents' tomorrow and have a night out in London for a friend's birthday celebration. We're going up to London early so I can find a bar to watch the Wales Australia rugby match in and then on to an Italian bistro for a meal. I must be wise and not blow the good week I had last week. I really don't want to put that 4lbs back on!

Right, I've recovered enough for a little breakfast before Pilates now.

Keep shredding
    xx
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    A very enigmatic post BM!! Lol xx
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Perhaps BM tried level 2!!
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Lol x Sorry to disappoint you both! There was no enigma and I am really scared to even watch level 2! I started a mail then had to run out with the dog, so tried to delete it til later, unfortunately you cannot delete, only edit. Hence the ..............

Bm x x
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello all. Another day indoors after last night's dump of snow and -7C today. However, I did manage again to do the Nordic track and did 1 3/4 miles on the treadmill- I'm still a bit below the level I'd like to work at but feel much better for doing that. I finally managed to get an appointment at the Dr.'s office today. I have been trying for over three weeks and every time I phoned I had voice mail saying the mailbox was full and not taking any more calls. This is probably because my regular Doc of about thirty years is off until mid-February after having hip replacement surgery. There is a stand-in but only for mornings. Anyway, managed to get appointment for next Wed. which is not too long to wait. I spent a lot of time today doing research to help the student I tutor. He is having great difficulty writing an essay for his English class which also requires research of critical opinion on his book. Fortunately, I am familiar with the book and read it a couple of years ago. It is The Kite Runner by Kaled Hosseini . I highly recommend it- great plot and very interesting as the author grew up in Afghanistan where the novel is set. Tomorrow I begin the first of a few volunteer shifts for manning the kettles for the Salvation Army. They do good work and have a good reputation here for not frittering away their money but directing it well to their charity work.
    BM, it must be very satisfying to feel you are getting some fitness results- well done. And I would love to send you some of our lovely snow if I could!
    PB, your feeling of stress is very evident. Don't be discouraged. We are all pulling for you.
    MITM, nice to see that you are happily shredding again and seem to be over your recent soreness.
    Regards.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Day 10 Done!!

Whoo hoo, level 1 completed. I am "chuffed!" lol.

I do however have quite a sore elbow, probably because I have done 5 days in a row. So I am going to rest it for a day or 2 and maybe do level 2 at 3 days on, one day off. I just watched level 2 and am looking forward to the change. I was so pleased there appeared to be no jump rope. (I am apprehensive re the oblique twists). Then, just when you least expect it, DOUBLE JUMP ROPE!! Oh joy....... I notice there are a lot of moves using the arms weight bearing on level 2 so will just have to see how my elbow holds up. Hopefully all this exercise will strengthen it and improve the arthritis. I can't believe I am actually going to say this but, I am looking forward to level 2!

Bracken, that is a ridiculously long wait to see a GP! Hope the locum gets you sorted. Sometimes if you have a good one they can be fresh and up to date with lots of new drugs and treatments. Older (although more experienced) GP's can tend to continue using tried and tested treatments, which are fine, but sometimes a change is as good as a rest! Take care of yourself.

PB I think you should take yourself off for a holiday for a few weeks. Then the GP's etc will realise just how much work you do when they have to cover you, and see just how much you are needed and valued!

LMV and MITM....Please keep inspiring me with level 2, I think I am going to need all the help I can get!

Love BM x
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Morning Shredders,

Day 22 - done!

"If you feel like turning this DVD off .................. remember all the reasons why you want to be fit and healthy" I definitely wanted to stop and switch the DVD off, but I didn't, so another day completed. That was tough today and I am shaking and feeling like jelly. Is it really doing me good?

Bracken, well done on managing to exercise despite the weather conditions. Your commitment is amazing!

BM - llongyfarchiadau! Level 1 complete. How good does that feel? On level 2 I picked up and put down my weights and changed from 2kg to water bottles depending on how I felt. Listen to your body. It us surprising how these exercises can help things like knees and elbows by strengthening them. Do you remember when I started I said I was being very careful with lunges because one knee was a bit dodgy? Well it's fine now. I suppose it does depend on what is wrong with it the first place though. I'm sure you are more than ready for level 2, so enjoy it ( esp the double rope jumps!) tbh, I don't think I completed a full set of those apart from once, I reverted back to single jumps when I felt I was going to die!

Right, got to dash as need to get ready for trip up to London. Won't be shredding for a couple of days but will check-in to see how everyone is doing.

MITM - where are you? Hope everything's OK. Is it weigh-in today? Good luck if it is.

Keep shredding
    xx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hi All

well apologies as my life at the moment is pretty stressful so I'm being very self-centred. I managed to go in to work yesterday but spent a lot of time crying. Various conversations with various people but really the person causing problems wasn't in yesterday - I'm supposed to have a meeting with him this morning but I've ducked out of it. I really can't face another argument with him. I think the senior partner was going to have a talk to him - although I don't think that will help - but he is determined to try and help. Basically, the finance partner will not let me do my job he keeps interfering and doesn't know when to shut up - so he embarrassed me in front of the staff on Wed at the education meeting. We do have these problems with him. He's a control freak and he is currently in overdrive.

I do need a break but I'm trying to keep going until Christmas. I'm hoping I won't be in tears again today. As long as the partners leave me alone I'll be fine.

By the way I'm so proud - my final score for the channel swim challenge is just over £1000. Thanks to everyone who helped by donating and/or supporting me in the swim.

I know I will be fine. these periods in our lives are designed to strengthen us and I read my stars this morning and it said something along the lines of don't give in to a difficult emotional situation. Rather pertinent I thought!!

take care all - will be back shredding in a few days.
    PBx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Short pop-in to as I got home from my volunteering early evening. Seriously considered doing no exercise as it was so late and had not been able to do anything earlier in the day. However, I compromised with myself and did a moderate 10 minutes on the ski machine and an easy 10 minutes on the treadmill- not a huge amount of calories but does help me keep focus.
    PB, I am so impressed with the amount of money you raised through your channel swim and more so, think you should give yourself a huge pat on the back for persisting in all that swimming despite the very stressful time you are having with your job.
    Good luck with your next Jillian level, BM.
    Regards.
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    So today there will be no shredding again. However, tonight there will be serious dancing and no one will be able to see the support bandage on my knee....... Dress still fits - but need to go and buy a new bra as I tried on several last night with the dress and none of them are suitable including the one that I bought for the purpose. Drat. Will take it into the lingerie shop in Ipswich and she'll help me find the right one there - she is a brilliant fitter.

Terrible disaster in Glasgow this morning - really quite frightening - so sad for many people this side of Christmas.

so no work for a few days now. Time to get myself back on track. Avoided the partners yesterday (or they avoided me) and was very busy and got lots of work done which I didn't really expect as my concentration was shot to pieces.

If I can I will try and relax a bit now.

PB
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Just a quick pop-in at the end of the weekend. Saturday did not go really well. I felt tired and decided to not exercise. This probably led to some poor eating, especially from a nutrition point of view, but I seemed to keep fairly aware of amounts of what I was eating so at the end of the day did not feel as if I had done a lot of damage. Today. I ventured for a walk with Nellie and did 1 1/4 miles and then did the Nordic track. I had hopes of also getting on the treadmill but had instead a nice surprise drop-in from one of my sisters. I also spent a lot of time on the phone and computer helping the student I tutor to revise his essay. My eating was much more on track and organized so overall not too bad. I hope the weekend has gone well for others.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Day 11 Done.

OMG! I am so wobbly, nauseous and weak! lol. Not too sure what to think of level 2 at the moment. A bit too much on the hands was quite painful for me. I have skinny wrists and a fat body! However I think I prefer it to level 1. I like the abs and strength parts and totally dislike all the jumping around with cardio. I tried one or two double rope jumps, but am at an age when I know when to quit! :happy: I stuck with single jumps which I still find a chore. It has rained for at least 12 hours here, so no chance yet of a nice long walk. So in that respect it feels good to be shredding because I feel like I am doing something about my weight, rather than just moaning about it!

LMV, Hope you had a fab time in London. I won't mention the match!
    PB, hope you have a much better week in work. Hope you found a good bra! One that fits well really does make all the difference.
    Bracken, you continually inspire me, you muster the energy to exercise no matter how you are feeling...... I, like yourself, can now get quickly back on track after a bout of poor eating. Whereas before if I had one bad day, or even one bad hour, it was enough to blow any diet I was on. I credit that to our cracker circle who listen, advise and never judge. Also I think the logging in on this site has helped me enormously.
    MITM, A busy time for you with the Advent Sunday. Hope you are OK and also busy shredding!

Happy Monday Shredders. Love, an exhausted BM x x
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hello Crackers

Like Bailey I am continually inspired by the attitude of all of my Cracker friends. You are such a great bunch and I'm hoping that I will be back on track on the food side today after a rather indulgent weekend. The Ball was fabulous - we all looked great and we danced the night away. There was a Carousel too - which was really hilarious and a great fun activity. We were all in and out to the Carousel in between dinner and the dancing. Supper was delicious with Smoked salmon for starters, followed by Roast pork and amazingly I wasn't overwhelmed by the pud and handed half of it over to my friends husband who was sitting to my right. I did have some stilton and crackers though. Far too much wine was drunk - with fizz at my place (3 bottles, 8 people) then another glass at the venue followed by wine with the meal then I bought a round of whisky's (oops - I was clearly 3 sheets to the wind by now). Dancing for a solid three hours though so I'm hoping that I used a lot of those empty calories that way!

Yesterday, I wasn't hung over (amazingly) - although I was very stiff and sore. I went for a ride in the afternoon - just a walk as Ed is still recovering from an abscess in his foot - and that helped. Home to roast lamb (and NO PUDDING!!!!) and then I found myself falling asleep in front of Tony Robinson (talking about 1066 and where the Battle was really fought. I've still got no idea as I kept drooping). Went to bed at 9.00pm and read for a while and (finally) actually slept quite well and woke up this morning feeling relaxed. Suspect tomorrow will be stressful.but Mum has just offered to take me out for lunch, I have to go to the bank and pay in the cash for the swim and then I can get the cheque sent off and then that's done. I also have to take the dresses back to Needham Market and I have a massage this afternoon - so a busy but enjoyable day ahead.

Take care all. I promise to get back shredding in a day or two.

PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Hello Shredders,

Day 23 - done!

I've had 2 days off while I've been away and I can honestly say that I didn't miss the shred at all! However, back to it today although I didn't get a chance to shred until late this afternoon. I much prefer getting it over and done with in the morning so the thought of it isn't hanging over me all day.

This is just a quick pop in as I haven't got much time. It's our wedding anniversary tomorrow so not sure if I'll be around, but if not, see you all Wednesday.

xx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Shredders. It looks as if you have survived challenging weekends and are back in form.
    BM, day 11 already for you and great to see things going well. You too have a lot of weather to contend with and are finding your way to keep exercising so you inspire me.
    PB, after your recent work stresses it is so nice that you had that lovely ball to attend to- and three hours of dancing surely would count against lapses in diet. I'm glad to hear you are back in the saddle and that Eddie is slowly recovering.
    LMV, you may not have missed the Shred but you couldn't stay away from it any longer, right? I hope you enjoy your wedding anniversary celebrations and look forward to Wednesday.
    MITM, I too expect you are very busy but am thinking of you and hope all is going well.
    I spent a lot of my day on getting jobs done including taking my vehicle in for its yearly undercoating that helps to prevent rust. It is very necessary here as so much salt and other chemicals are used on our roads in winter. While I was driving there, I saw a very disturbing sight. This occurred on a fast and major roadway, not a side street. A man driving a truck had a golden retriever riding in the bed of the truck (I won't even stress the cold weather) and the dog was unleashed and roaming across the truck. Not only that but the truck had no tailgate so had the driver stopped suddenly the dog could easily have skidded back and out onto the road. I managed to get behind him at a light and memorize his licence plate number. I am calling the police. I'm not sure what they can do but I know you can report dangerous driving and this situation could have endangered not only the dog but other drivers.Some things one sees truly boggle the mind.
    I was quite pleased to get my Nordic track done today and to walk 2 1/4 miles on the treadmill.
    Regards all.