30 Day Shred and Nordic Skiing

Options

Replies

• brackenmh
    brackenmh Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    LMV and MITM, I think Jillian would really be proud of you for the tremendous effort you are giving that workout. As she would say, you are not just phoning it in. PB, sometimes the first step is the hardest and you have just done that- terrific. BM, day 3 already. You'll be through before you know it. I loved hearing about your horse past and your dreams. Don't give up hope that there could be a horse in your future someday. I read recently that the fastest growing sector of 'new' riders was made of mature woman, who had raised their children etc. and were either returning to riding or starting to ride. I'm glad you have donkeys in your dream sanctuary as I always think they have had a particularly hard lot in life through time. Today my exercise consisted of a 2 1/4 mile walk with Nellie. I also did my Nordic track and put in a good effort I thought. However, I am starting to itch to find a way of getting in some Jillian after getting all of your reports.
  • PortiaBentley
    PortiaBentley Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Day 2 - done. Knee hurt - but I put a support bandage on and it was OK - but will probably feel it later in high heels. Need to shower now and eat breakfast before going to work. Couldn't manage to keep up with some of the cardio - I feel it very much - but keep moving seems to be the motto so even if I can't do it the way she says I'm doing something. Hopefully that will improve over the days of this.

Will do day 3 after work tomorrow.

PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Lovemyveg Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Morning Shredders,

Day 14 - done

For some reason it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. I still feel like I am going to die! Why oh why did I like level 2 last time? I must have been so much stronger in my core, or, I wasn't doing it properly. I was glowing so much today that it was trickling into my ear - very unpleasant lol!! I've made an effort to do it a little earlier today as I have Pilates at 10 today and I wanted to have a bit of time to recover before punishing my abs some more. That final ab move is a killer. Incidentally MITM - have you fathomed out what the sit up in plank is yet? Did your daughter shows you at half term?

PB - well done, day 2 done already. Fabulous! So are you a Jillian lover or hater? I hope your knee is OK, take care of it.

Bracken - you are doing fantastically well with your exercise. You are so consistent in your walking and NT'ing and I'm sure you are feeling the benefit of it.

BM - hope the aches gave disappeared today.

Right breakfast now, I've earned it!

Keep Shredding!
    xx
  • 77Bailey77
    77Bailey77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Day 4 Done.

Oh Dear, today was HARD. It does not seem to be getting any easier. I did manage the whole 30 seconds (is it really only 30 seconds??) of jump rope which was a first for me. I am finding the cardio very difficult. As Bracken and PB do though, I keep moving! I had to giggle at almost the end of it, my poor dog has been keeping out of the way whilst I am shredding, I think all the grunting and "ouches" scare him. But today he leaped on my head and started trying to lick my face. It made me wonder was he trying to do CPR on me!!
    LMV I really feel for you, I am so impressed you and MITM are on day 14 but for you to find it hard quite scares me! I have to go to the Mall now for some shopping, so will say bye. (I am still aching so much I doubt I will buy a lot for fear of having to carry it! I will also have to buy everything at eye level as I have done enough bending and stretching for one day!)

Happy shredding! (Is that some sort of oxymoron!! :happy:)

BM x x
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Afternoon Shredders!

Well I don't know about it getting any easier, but I sure know it's not going any quicker!! At the end of each exercise, I'm groaning at the next set - oh not that one! Ooh! When she said her line about dying today of course thinking of LMV had me grinning from ear to ear - I couldn't laugh because I was doing double jumps at the time! And I only realised today (I must block her out half the time!) that she herself calls the last exercise a killer. Total agreement from me as I collapsed onto my mat, like a mad woman muttering it's all over for another day, it's over, it's over!!!!

At least it is until tomorrow! However LMV and I will be half way tomorrow!!!!! I have to say SHREDDERS if I was not reading this blog daily, and hearing everyone else moaning and groaning I would never get as far as putting the DVD on, let alone doing it - so thank you SHREDDERS for your pain!! BUT it does work, I saw my abs in the mirror today as I was getting dressed!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Way to go all! Despite moans and groans, I can see you are all finding satisfaction- even abs- albeit maybe at the moment grim satisfaction. Today went well for me. Nellie and I walked 2 1/4 miles over two walks. The second was really nice as my next door neighbour joined me with her dog. It doesn't work out that often that we are walking at the same time. Nellie and I went to the stables and I had a nice ride. My coup for the day was I actually worked in my Jillian video as well as the Nordic track. I was definitely inspired to do the Jillian by all the Jillian talk here. I'm feeling a bit sore so hope that is just evidence of decent effort.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Well done Bracken, NS and Jillian in one day would probably tip me over the edge! Lovely for Nellie to have company on your walks. I don't often have company to walk the dog, but it is lovely when it happens.
    MITM, LMV, congrats on being halfway through...Respect to you!........ Your descriptions of what you are going through gives me nervous giggles!:happy:
    You were quite weirdly right re my aches and pains MITM. My thighs and arms are just so much better, and it would be day 5 for me today. However I am taking today and tomorrow off instead of Sat and Sun. I woke with central chest pain and scared the life out of both myself and OH. I have since realised it is more than likely muscular. I have it worse on deep breathing and movement, with no pain at all on rest. So not worried about it, but will rest it. I have wondered is it because even though I have a good fitting, supportive sports bra I still have a lot of "movement" with my boobs. They are quite big and particularly the jump rope and star jumps are quite uncomfortable. I have been trying to "hold them" as well whilst jumping but yesterday tried to manage without. Has anyone else experienced this? I am a bit miffed not to complete day 5 today, but think it would be foolish as it quite painful when aggravated.
    Keep shredding, Love BM x
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Well that's slightly annoying - I had written a whole paragraph when it all disappeared and my pooter jumped to a different page (no idea why, but it keeps doing it). So back to what I was saying. will be doing day 3 this evening when I get in from work and before I go out to a party. Won't be drinking though as I'm driving. I'm hurting in some interesting places at the moment after two days - but my knee, after wearing my support bandage yesterday, is much better. Will be wearing the bandage each time I think to give it that support. Eating has been mostly under control - but I'm not seeing any results yet - still its early days again.

Its good to know I'm not the only one finding it tough. Bailey as you say I'm sure its muscular and you are probably doing everything you can with a good sports bra. A good idea to rest though even if it does feel like you are breaking the cycle. No point in hurting yourself.

It's been a wake up call to me that when I'm bouncing up and down there is still so much fat bouncing up and down independently - I've lost so much weight that its been easy to think that I've actually done everything and I now have the figure I want when in fact I'm still fat and need to lose more.

Well need to get organised - 8.00am meeting with the Finance Partner - who is currently trying to do my job for me - he clearly doesn't have anything of his own to do!!!!! grrrr

PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Morning Shredders,

Day 15 - done!! Half way through, hoorah!!

Jillian's had me screaming back at her on the "This move is INTENSE" comment. It sure is! I'm now collapsed on the sofa with not even enough energy to make a drink. Luckily I can drink my water weights - I used Evian bottles on the V raises as I simply cannot manage the 2kg weights on that one. Quite pleased I can manage 2kg weights on all the other exercises now. Couldn't do the double jumps today so stuck with the single jumps . BM I think I need your dog to resuscitate me as well.

PB - I know what you mean about all the fat moving with you. It's a real wake up call isn't it? My belly has a life of its own BUT I know it has shrunk since day 1 which is encouraging. As I'm halfway now I shall do a proper measure and let you all know what progress I've made.

Bracken - well done! You are putting the rest of us to shame, niot only are you walking, riding and tracking, but you are also Jillianing now as well. Good for you, you'll soon be back at your lowest weight and then on to new lighter territory. How exciting! It's fantastic that everyone is so motivated.

MITM - so impressed that you can see your abs. I can feel that my stomach muscles are developing but sadly still have too much fat covering them. If I keep this up though then when the fat disappears I should find a nice surprise there for me.

BM - my sports bra is a Shock Absorber (available from John Lewis and many other places). It is enormous but does the job and holds everything in place. If the cup sizes aren't big enough, then go to the Rigby and Peller website and I'm sure you'll find something there. The first time I went to R&P and got fitted properly for underwear was a revelation. It's expensive, but worth it. I buy all my bras from there now (apart from my sports bras!). If you haven't been there, next time you are in the UK, treat yourself. Very sensible of you to take a rest day and I'm pleased to hear that the other aches and pains are disappearing.

Right, I've recovered enough to move again now.

Keep shredding!
    xx
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Day 3 - done! what a relief. THings are hurting - but some exercises were not so difficult. More able to keep up with the cardio today with only a couple of moments pause. Stuff bouncing up and down though - ouch....

PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Go PB - well done!

In case I don't "see" you before, hope the concert is a triumph!

xx
  • mummyinthemountains
    Options
    Evening Shredders!

I was getting a little ahead of myself yesterday when I said how today would be day 15 and halfway.... Got out of bed awkwardly this morning and twinged something in my back. Not helped in the least by 40 minutes of hard snow shovelling (I looked like I'd done a Shred), so I decided not to chance Jillian actually 'killing' me with all those strength exercises for the back!

So the nearest I got to a plank exercise today was asking the daughter LMV about that move "Oh mum, I never said a sit up!" "Didn't you dear?!" "No! You're in a proper plank position like Bob does not Jillian, on your elbows and you do a stomach crunch using just your ABS!" Got that LMV - I'll let you try this one out!!

BM - So pleased to hear the first pains have disappeared! I too have experienced periodically chest pains and I have Kylie size boobs (still working on the bum!) but I've always put it down to using hand weights, as it only happens when I start using them again after an extended break.

PB - I have a large mirror and when I salsacise as I know the steps by heart, I can face it and Rosemary is reflected into it from the tv and is dancing beside me. I made the mistake of doing this with Jillian during the double skipping jumps, it does make you really think!! Her stomach and her girls don't move the same could not be said for mine!

BRACKEN - so pleased you got your DVD out! There certainly is something about all this fighting talk that inspires you on, I really want to Shred today but I shall be sensible and rest.

Have a good weekend all!
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Shredders. My day started well with a two mile walk. It was very misty and damp but not cold. This afternoon the temps really dropped so I was glad to have done the walk early. In the early afternoon I met a friend at the stables and had a good ride. Perhaps too good of a ride as my touchy knee is now more sore than I like. I did more cantering and circles than usual and brought on a fairly bad attack of reflux and its complications. ( Every site I have looked at about managing reflux mentions "avoid horse back riding" so I suppose I am fortunate to do as much as I do. However, it is frustrating because physically I feel I have considerably more endurance and strength than before and my horse is so willing and honest over jumps.) I decided therefore to skip the Nordic track today. However, weather forecasts for tomorrow are for rather nasty weather so if I am in all day I've decided to do either the NT twice or else once and some Jillian- there certainly are segments that do not compromise my knee or shoulder. MITM and PB I hope your enforced rest helps your sore spots. I think you have made a good decision but can see it is frustrating to you both too. B.M., I have had pains I'm sure were because of boobs and exercise so think the advice on the best bras is a good tactic. Take care all and remember we are here for the long game so watch out for those injuries.
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    snow MITM??? Oh dear. 40 mins of snow clearing sounds like a good reason not to shred to me - but its unlikely we'll get any here. Have a day of housework planned today and will have to go shopping at some point then its back to do Day 4. Tomorrow I won't be riding as Ed is still lame - he had an abscess in his foot it was discovered in the end - but its on the mend now. All that means that Maria would have nothing to ride if I went so she will ride Harley and I won't ride next week as it is the Hunt Ball on Saturday and nobody is going to be fit for anything on Sunday morning......

Mum called last night to announce that she and Dad will be coming on Thursday for a few days (despite the fact that I have such a busy weekend ahead). Not sure how I am going to do the shred with them here as they will be sitting in front of the TV when I want to do it. Wondering if I should take the kit to work and do it in the attic before coming home. Could be done there is a room upstairs that I can use and a shower for afterwards.

Friend just called to ask if I fancied a walk this morning instead of tomorrow morning as the sun is shining - but to be honest I had a late night and I've only just got up so don't quite feel ready for a walk yet. Will go tomorrow and suggested it might have dried out a bit by then too as it was pretty muddy last time.

Sorry to hear about all the injuries/chest pain. Reflux is horrible too - I have had trouble with my gall bladder in the past which led to reflux - but thankfully I changed my diet and I don't get the problem very often now. Still, these things are to be expected - we are human and our bodies are sometimes not ready for what our minds imagine we can do. We just need to do what we can and NEVER GIVE UP!

talk to you all later!

Love
    PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Morning Shredders!

Day 16 - done!

I don't normally shred at the week- end, but I am away for a few days next week-end when shredding will be difficult so I'm getting the sessions in now while I can. I took my measurements yesterday but I've left them upstairs and quite frankly I'm too weak after the shred to go and get them. It was good news though, so keep at it everyone, that nasty Jillian knows how to get results. I had some wine last night (within my daily calorie allowance) and I'm wondering if that's why I found the shred even more difficult today. I might have been a bit more dehydrated than usual and I was certainly shakier at the end. I've had my porridge with plum and blueberry for breakfast now so my strength is coming back.

MITM - really sorry to hear about your back and all that shovelling can't gave been good for it. Look after yourself. Thanks for the info about the plank thing, I understand what she means now and might even try it on a day when I'm feeling strong. I disagree with her about the "proper" plank position though, my personal trainer was happy with either position (elbows or hands) it's a question of what is more comfortable for each individual.

Bracken - sorry to hear about your knee and the reflux and hope both are better soon. You are right when you say we are in this for the long haul so we need to pace ourselves. I myself admit though, I hate it so much I just want it to be over as soon as possible!!

PB - it's a shame you are missing out on your ride but you seem to be so busy maybe it will do you good to have a little bit of time to relax. I'm sure it will be lovely to have your Mum and Dad with you but it does disrupt your routine doesn't it? I hope you find a time/place where you can continue to shred.

BM - hope your soreness is improving. Remember, no pain, no gain lol!

Going to have a nice relaxing day now

Keep shredding!
    xx
  • brackenmh
    Options
    Hello Shredders. Weather somewhat impacted my day today, at first in a good way. The predicted snow squalls did not come as early as predicted so this morning I took Nellie for a mile walk. It was cold though and I was not as patient as I usually am for the sniffing stops! I did get in my Nordic track but wasn't able to get in a second as I had visitors in the afternoon. The good thing is also that my back feels quite good today after yesterday's demanding ride and today's NTing. By late afternoon the snow was so heavy it was hard to see clearly across the street, the wind was roaring, and the radio reported it was -9C so I have not gone out again. LMV, you are giving us hope by reporting that your Jillian workout is yielding results- yeah you, the hard effort is paying off. Also it is helpful to see you and others working around their constraints. Getting workouts in while you can is very proactive and PB, I like your idea of doing your tapes in your workplace. MITM, hope your back is feeling better- snow shovelling is very hard exercise. Only a month, folks, and it's Christmas eve. Regards.
  • 77Bailey77
    Options
    Day 5 done!

So happy to be back in the swing of things. Had missed 2 days, but aches and pain have almost disappeared so I was quite eager to Shred(!!!). Wouldn't go as far as to say I enjoyed it, but it's done. Will definitely check out new sports bra's but the two I have seem to fit well. The one is like a puzzle to get on and I feel like a trussed up turkey in it, but it does seem to keep me in check quite a bit! Did today without my hand weights as MITM mentioned so hopefully the chest pain won't return. Bracken, I am so envious of your snow! It is 36c at 10 am. I have started to read some of my Christmas novels as it is very hard to feel festive in blue skies and this heat ridiculous humidity!
    Wishing everyone a good Sunday. Bm x x
  • PortiaBentley
    Options
    Hi Everyone = didn't shred yesterday as had it all planned for the afternoon after a trip to the supermarket at about 3.30pm when friend Susie rang and said did I fancy going to the pictures to see Philomena. Of course I said yes, the showing was at 5.00pm then it was well past 8.00pm by the time we got home. Resisted the popcorn and a drink though so at least it wasn't so bad. Have to go into Ipswich to get to the cinema. Good film though!

went for a 4 mile walk this morning in the forest - rather muddy but enjoyed it. Will do my shred shortly when I've replenished my water levels. Then breakfast then shower etc to be ready to go out to rehearsal by 1.30pm.

Another busy day. My silver knight called me last night (Just after I'd gone to bed unfortunately) - still we talked for a good hour (he talks for England so I didn't have to say much). Keeping an open mind though.

I have to say I wouldn't like to live in that kind of heat though Bailey I'd much rather have the cold. You can always put on another layer but there are only so many you can take off........

Don't feel I've done an awful lot this weekend but in a way that's a good thing. Sometimes its nice to have a bit of downtime and of course I will be busy this afternoon and evening.

well that's all for now - speak soon Crackers
    PB
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Morning Shredders,

Day 17 - done

Boy it was tough again today, but another shred done.

Well done BM on getting back to the shred and I'm so pleased to hear the aches and pains are easing. Similarly, good news about you back Bracken.

PB - I'm not at all surprised you chose the cinema over the shred, absolutely no contest in my mind!

Here are my half way results in inches
    Bust - -1.5
    Under bust - -1
    Natural waist - -1.25
    Biggest belly - -1
    Hips - -1
    Thighs biggest - no change
    Mid thigh - -.5
    Knees - -.75
    Calves - -.25

I'm feeling pretty pleased with those half way results, by the end I might be approaching a full dress size down which is incentive to keep working hard!

Keep shredding!
    xx
  • Lovemyveg
    Options
    Wow, 45 minutes since I finished and my arms are STILL trembling. Is this really good for us? Lol xx