2014 MFP LeTour Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    Leave any deleting to me (or my wonderful assistants who have mod. Access in the group)

I can read past the odd dupe post, it's when people post a single line and expect me to go out of my way to add the old posts in for them that I want to go medieval on their *kitten*...

Got it, thanks!
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Today was my last ride for the challenge...sorry team 2. Heading off on a cross country trip to watch baseball in Pittsburgh and Philly before going to the baseball hall of fame induction. I gave some thought to taking my bike along but was too worried about something happening to it and having to ride in such big cities scared me. Awesome effort everyone and Thanks to TBY for another great tour!!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Today was my last ride for the challenge...sorry team 2. Heading off on a cross country trip to watch baseball in Pittsburgh and Philly before going to the baseball hall of fame induction. I gave some thought to taking my bike along but was too worried about something happening to it and having to ride in such big cities scared me. Awesome effort everyone and Thanks to TBY for another great tour!!

Thanks for your miles, you've been awesome :)
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    These challenges are wonderful for pushing you to your boundaries if you get into them, a real sense of achievement, I wanted to hit an average of 100km per day and I'm constantly behind lol, one final week to go to give it a push, good luck in your efforts, your milage has been fantastic!

Thanks Jason, I've enjoyed chasing you every km and up every hill LOL!!

Today was a good example of how the challenge gave me a shove. I went out this morning with a friend who is learning to ride and we did a nice easy paced 30 miles. Once home I was about to post the ride when I noticed all the rides with big distances being logged. A quick check of the standings showed my team in the lead but by the narrowest of margins. So, a bit embarrassed by my meager offering to the team, I went back out and hit the hills hard!!

Sooooooo glad it is a rest day tomorrow!

Quite some hill climbing, enjoy your quest for the spotty jersey, would be well deserved.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options

Enjoy your Trip, and it's been great having you along again for the Challenge.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Entries thread has now been keyed to the logging spreadsheet - and a substantial amount of pruning has been done.

Hopefully, I haven't thrown anyones posting away completely - if I have, it was user error not anything malicious - give me a shout via PM if you need a hand in rebuilding things and we'll sort something out.

The whole "thread tidying" is a complete nightmare - every time I delete a post, it actually throws me back to the top of the page in the thread - so, when, like this morning, I had something like 60+ posts in there, with a maximum of 37 of them being valid, you can imagine the process gets a little messy at times, and errors can occur.

Anyhow - onto the good bit.

All four teams have now completed the full tour distance - amazing, with 6 stages still to go. At the moment, only Team 1 have completed every stage distance - though team 4 are still in with a chance - they're just under 5km short on one day, but have 3 riders still to declare their rides on that day.

The Jersey competition is beginning to hot up - finally we have 3 different jersey Wearers, with Allan managing to prise the Polka Dots away from Jason, Leaving Jason the Yellow. Green looks to be reasonably secure on Clive's shoulders - though I guess it only takes a couple of slow rides for everything to change.

On a personal note - it's really great to see how some of you fresh faces for the challenge seem to have embraced it. We're shaping up to have 5 or more people crack the 1,000km mark by the end of the challenge - ok, 2 nutters already have done, with a third getting very close indeed, but the whole challenge seems to have stepped up an entire level this year, first with the Giro, and now this. Hope you all burn yourselves out before the Vuelta, as it's going to be tough to try and defend my win from last year. :laugh:
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Green is always secure on Clives shoulders lol, speed demon! Great to see different riders in contention for the jerseys too. Can't argue with the nutters comment :) but we all should be pretty chuffed with what we have achieved so far, proud of Team 2 who's rocking the climbing as well as the distance!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Green looks to be reasonably secure on Clive's shoulders - though I guess it only takes a couple of slow rides for everything to change.
    Cheers for piling the pressure on! :noway:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Things are hotting up indeed! The team competition is so close with just 273km separating 3 teams after 5,000+kms riding, amazing!! It's going to be an exciting finish this week methinks!!

Feels great to wear the Polka dot jersey even if it's just for one day :-)

Super proud of all my teammates for keeping Team 4 in the lead. Go Team 4!!!
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I will have to travel Colorado for work later this week. I will be bringing my bike with me so I can keep my rides up, I plan on continuing my riding, it just may not be the milage that I have been doing.
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just finally updated my log, sorry for the delay TBY but it's been way too busy in my household lately. Thankfully a rest day today so I can refocus on finishing the Tour strong with a ride every day for the remainder.

If I had been able to go to San Diego Comic Con this year like I have for the past 10 years, it would have been a sorry end to the Tour for me... but I was unable to secure tickets to the event this year, so I'll be using the Tour Challenge as a way to ease my suffering at the loss :)

Here's to finishing strong!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Just finally updated my log, sorry for the delay TBY but it's been way too busy in my household lately. Thankfully a rest day today so I can refocus on finishing the Tour strong with a ride every day for the remainder.

If I had been able to go to San Diego Comic Con this year like I have for the past 10 years, it would have been a sorry end to the Tour for me... but I was unable to secure tickets to the event this year, so I'll be using the Tour Challenge as a way to ease my suffering at the loss :)

What! Ease your suffering?! The tour is a way for us to embrace suffering and learn to be it's friend. We come to know suffering as a way to know ourselves and by doing so, learn our limits. By learning our limits, we discover that suffering is not our enemy, it's our friend and guide to the experience of the universe, making us one with the universe. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    With any luck going into the Vuelta the weather Gods in the sothern hemisphere will have had enough of the cold and it will start to warm up. Or at least ease up with the incessant rain.:smile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    With any luck going into the Vuelta the weather Gods in the sothern hemisphere will have had enough of the cold and it will start to warm up. Or at least ease up with the incessant rain.:smile:

Still, it's given you a flavour ow what we rode the Spring classics in, and most of the Giro for that matter - I think I was beginning to develop webbed feet by the end of that one...
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Team 1, I'll have ridden about 58k by the end of today. I know it's a big one so just wanted to give a heads up to y'all! :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Team 1, I'll have ridden about 58k by the end of today. I know it's a big one so just wanted to give a heads up to y'all! :wink:
    90.7 already in... :wink:

ETA: make that 129.1 with Tom's efforts.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...looks like I'm in contention for the Lantern Rouge...

Because I'm certainly not in the running for anything else!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Hmmm...looks like I'm in contention for the Lantern Rouge...

Because I'm certainly not in the running for anything else!

It's tough this time, I'm shooting for 1/3 race distance as my goal, and I'm pretty sure that won't get me within champagne spray reach of the podium ... :-(
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have to apologize to my teammates for team 4 especially today when the KMs are the most. After last Sunday’s ride my left calf has had a dull “Charlie horse” type discomfort and is slightly swollen up. I was hoping it would be better after Monday’s rest day, but it was not feeling any better when I got up at 4:30am to do my ride today. So I wanted to give it another day off. I’m leaving on my trip tomorrow, and will be staying in Albuquerque the first night and have already scoped out a place to ride, and in Denver, I will be staying at a place that is only a couple blocks from the Cherry Creek Trail which I so enjoyed on my last trip to CO. In any case, I hope to be back on the bike again by tomorrow afternoon.
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

What! Ease your suffering?! The tour is a way for us to embrace suffering and learn to be it's friend. We come to know suffering as a way to know ourselves and by doing so, learn our limits. By learning our limits, we discover that suffering is not our enemy, it's our friend and guide to the experience of the universe, making us one with the universe. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All true... and the suffering I'm experiencing during Le Tour is easing the suffering I'm feeling by missing SDCC ;D One type of suffering can ease other types of suffering... which is why when your finger hurts, the cure is to have someone stomp on your toe! :D
This discussion has been closed.