2014 MFP LeTour Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    Just finally updated my log, sorry for the delay TBY but it's been way too busy in my household lately. Thankfully a rest day today so I can refocus on finishing the Tour strong with a ride every day for the remainder.

If I had been able to go to San Diego Comic Con this year like I have for the past 10 years, it would have been a sorry end to the Tour for me... but I was unable to secure tickets to the event this year, so I'll be using the Tour Challenge as a way to ease my suffering at the loss :)

Here's to finishing strong!

What! Ease your suffering?! The tour is a way for us to embrace suffering and learn to be it's friend. We come to know suffering as a way to know ourselves and by doing so, learn our limits. By learning our limits, we discover that suffering is not our enemy, it's our friend and guide to the experience of the universe, making us one with the universe. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All true... and the suffering I'm experiencing during Le Tour is easing the suffering I'm feeling by missing SDCC ;D One type of suffering can ease other types of suffering... which is why when your finger hurts, the cure is to have someone stomp on your toe! :D

ROFL!!! :laugh: :laugh: I love it. :drinker:
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Team 2 ..... the team that not only goes the distance but also rocks the climbing:

article-2057402-0EA218DB00000578-488_634x755.jpg

Talented mountain goats indeed .... 6,985m to go (at last count) :)

Video of said crazy goats just in case you think the above was photo shopped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQev3UoGp2M :)
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...looks like I'm in contention for the Lantern Rouge...

Because I'm certainly not in the running for anything else!

No chance - that Lantern is all mine - although I am hopefully sticking a few more kms on the board this week!!! :wink:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Ended my day with a crash but my hat is off to my LBS. They had my bike fixed and back on the road in no time so that I could ride tomorrow. I told them next time I'm going to have them just get the car and have one of them lean out the back window and fix the bike while the other one is driving and I'm hanging on to the front window. They thought it was a great idea. :laugh: :laugh:
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ended my day with a crash but my hat is off to my LBS. They had my bike fixed and back on the road in no time so that I could ride tomorrow. I told them next time I'm going to have them just get the car and have one of them lean out the back window and fix the bike while the other one is driving and I'm hanging on to the front window. They thought it was a great idea. :laugh: :laugh:

Hope you are OK
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

Hope you are OK

I'm a cyclist, not a soccer player. I'm fine and will be back on the bike tomorrow. :laugh: :wink:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options

Hope you are OK

I'm a cyclist, not a soccer player. I'm fine and will be back on the bike tomorrow. :laugh: :wink:

^^^ Loving both your attitude, and the guys at your LBS. Can they follow me with a supply of "sticky bottles" when it comes to a steep hill as well :laugh:
  • Frannybobs
    Options

Hope you are OK

Glad you're OK and hopefully back on the bike...!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

Hope you are OK

You know, I think I pulled an Andrew Talanski. I felt pretty good after the crash but my back is starting to tighten up. I'll have to make sure I stretch more before riding so I don't pull out like the pit bull did. :laugh: :wink:

Glad to see you are getting a new bike. That's always fun and exciting to get a new bike. I think psychologically it makes me go faster to have a new bike. :smile: :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    well - right now i'm pretty much cooked...3 riding days into the week, 255.4km and 10h10m in the saddle (considering my normal goal for the week is 8h!) and 3 more days to go... I set out for the Giro aiming to ride every day the pro's did, and to try and hit 1/3 the distance they covered. I managed it (just) but swore I'd not try it again in LeTour.

Guess What... Haven't missed a day yet, and I'm counting down to 1/3 distance (look in cell d30 on page 3x9 of the spreadsheet :laugh:) - i must be absolutely barking!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    well - right now i'm pretty much cooked...3 riding days into the week, 255.4km and 10h10m in the saddle (considering my normal goal for the week is 8h!) and 3 more days to go... I set out for the Giro aiming to ride every day the pro's did, and to try and hit 1/3 the distance they covered. I managed it (just) but swore I'd not try it again in LeTour.

Guess What... Haven't missed a day yet, and I'm counting down to 1/3 distance (look in cell d30 on page 3x9 of the spreadsheet :laugh:) - i must be absolutely barking!

Ah the madness is catching I see, nothing like a challenge to bring out the crazy :)
  • Frannybobs
    Options

Hope you are OK

You know, I think I pulled an Andrew Talanski. I felt pretty good after the crash but my back is starting to tighten up. I'll have to make sure I stretch more before riding so I don't pull out like the pit bull did. :laugh: :wink:

Glad to see you are getting a new bike. That's always fun and exciting to get a new bike. I think psychologically it makes me go faster to have a new bike. :smile: :smile:

You watch your back - injuries can get worse after any crash 24-48 hrs after the incident...so be careful and if it hurts...rest!

Yeah I got new bike excitement but having to wait 3-5 weeks is gonna kill me! Should have it in time to smash the Vuelta though and remove myself from the Lantern Rouge spot! :laugh:
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Hope you are OK

Take care...pay attention to your body! Neither pro cyclist nor soccer player is a particularly good role model for how to handle injury as a "regular" person.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Hope you are OK

Take care...pay attention to your body! Neither pro cyclist nor soccer player is a particularly good role model for how to handle injury as a "regular" person.

Guess it's catching as I crashed too this morning coming into work. Luckily I work at a hospital so supplies to mend the road rash are plentiful. Bike looks ok, but I am going to have one heck of a bruise on my thigh tonight! Consequences of letting one's mind wander a bit too far astray whilst riding!
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Today's submission will sadly be my last for the challenge as the family and I are headed out towards the beach for a much needed weekend of R&R. Can I just say that I thoroughly enjoyed this super well organized riding challenge and it certainly did get me outside and in the saddle....I have the cycling tan lines to prove it!:laugh: Thanks for letting me participate and I love the fact that everybody brings a little something special and unique to the challenge and their respective teams. Big Thank you to TBY and Team 2!! :flowerforyou:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    hope you're feeling okay mate, forgot you were in the right place to get fixed...

wish I knew someone who worked in the hospitals over here... a UK place to source that mesh-grip stuff that is de-rigeur on the pro-scene would be great... not that I'm planning to fall, it's just that after 20+ years of being the "office first aid" person (but properly trained I should add, not just "heres a plaster, go see your doctor..." this was in 132kv electricals and factories, so the training was 2 weeks a year with the local paramedics...) I like to be properly equipped for the worst eventuality...
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    With any luck going into the Vuelta the weather Gods in the sothern hemisphere will have had enough of the cold and it will start to warm up. Or at least ease up with the incessant rain.:smile:

Still, it's given you a flavour ow what we rode the Spring classics in, and most of the Giro for that matter - I think I was beginning to develop webbed feet by the end of that one...

I'm having quite the opposite issue here - too blasted hot! I was fully preparing to get a nice ride in to pick up my car from the shop... until the temp climbed into the 100s! Even now at almost 6PM, it's 90 degrees :p
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Wow, lots of spills on here, but not much thrills. Take care everyone, don't take any silly risks, just play it safe and make sure you get to your destination in one piece.

Woohoo - just noticed although I'm propping up the leaderboard with regards to distance logged, I've not got the lowest "elevation" figure - that's thanks to Yorkshire and the Grand Depart !!!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Wow, lots of spills on here, but not much thrills. Take care everyone, don't take any silly risks, just play it safe and make sure you get to your destination in one piece.

Woohoo - just noticed although I'm propping up the leaderboard with regards to distance logged, I've not got the lowest "elevation" figure - that's thanks to Yorkshire and the Grand Depart !!!

red-lantern.jpg - maybe last but not FLAT last... :laugh:
  • Frannybobs
    Options

red-lantern.jpg - maybe last but not FLAT last... :laugh:

Haha, I'm having that as my profile pic when you hand out the jerseys :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.