2014 MFP LeTour Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options

Take care...pay attention to your body! Neither pro cyclist nor soccer player is a particularly good role model for how to handle injury as a "regular" person.

Guess it's catching as I crashed too this morning coming into work. Luckily I work at a hospital so supplies to mend the road rash are plentiful. Bike looks ok, but I am going to have one heck of a bruise on my thigh tonight! Consequences of letting one's mind wander a bit too far astray whilst riding!

Ouch! Hope that doesn't last long. I work at a veterinary ER so I had plenty of supplies as well. I love dermagel. :wink: :wink:

Make sure you check for wounds the second day that you didn't notice the first day. I got in the shower after yesterdays ride and my shoulder started to burn. I told my wife and she said, "Well duh. You have a road rash on your shoulder." I didn't even notice. The raspberry on my shin stung when the sweat ran into it so I didn't realize I had a rash on my shoulder. It did feel good to get out and relax and spin out the inflammation though. I feel better today.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wow, lots of spills on here, but not much thrills. Take care everyone, don't take any silly risks, just play it safe and make sure you get to your destination in one piece.

Woohoo - just noticed although I'm propping up the leaderboard with regards to distance logged, I've not got the lowest "elevation" figure - that's thanks to Yorkshire and the Grand Depart !!!

red-lantern.jpg - maybe last but not FLAT last... :laugh:

Haha, I'm having that as my profile pic when you hand out the jerseys :laugh:

We are just happy that after what you went through that you were able to come back. It's good to see you putting miles on again. You deserve some kind of an award for that. :drinker: :drinker:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @ Thebigyin - I just wanted to let you know that we really appreciate the effort you take in making this happen and all the great stats you put together. It has really been fun and has really helped me to reach further in my goals that I would normally have reached. Days when I felt like packing it in and not riding, I just would remind myself that you hadn't missed a day yet and so I better get out there and do the same. You are a great ride host and a great team mate! :drinker: :drinker: Thanks for all the work and effort. :drinker: :drinker:
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    @ Thebigyin - I just wanted to let you know that we really appreciate the effort you take in making this happen and all the great stats you put together. It has really been fun and has really helped me to reach further in my goals that I would normally have reached. Days when I felt like packing it in and not riding, I just would remind myself that you hadn't missed a day yet and so I better get out there and do the same. You are a great ride host and a great team mate! :drinker: :drinker: Thanks for all the work and effort. :drinker: :drinker:

Hear, hear!!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options

Guess I've some bad news then... I went out again today :laugh: - seriously - I'm pretty much overwhelmed at the response this year - I guess it's just reached critical mass now, and got a bit of a life of its own...
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Take care...pay attention to your body! Neither pro cyclist nor soccer player is a particularly good role model for how to handle injury as a "regular" person.

Guess it's catching as I crashed too this morning coming into work. Luckily I work at a hospital so supplies to mend the road rash are plentiful. Bike looks ok, but I am going to have one heck of a bruise on my thigh tonight! Consequences of letting one's mind wander a bit too far astray whilst riding!

Ouch! Hope that doesn't last long. I work at a veterinary ER so I had plenty of supplies as well. I love dermagel. :wink: :wink:

Make sure you check for wounds the second day that you didn't notice the first day. I got in the shower after yesterdays ride and my shoulder started to burn. I told my wife and she said, "Well duh. You have a road rash on your shoulder." I didn't even notice. The raspberry on my shin stung when the sweat ran into it so I didn't realize I had a rash on my shoulder. It did feel good to get out and relax and spin out the inflammation though. I feel better today.

I got in the shower yesterday when I got home from work and scrubbed all the spots again and everything looks much better today. Wish I could go out but I can hardly walk up steps/get up from sitting due to "damage" to my thigh. I don't think anything is torn/busted but I took a very hard hit at the top of the quadriceps/hip flexor area (think I landed on the handlebars as I went down with it) so any sort of lift at the thigh is painful (muscle pain, joints are fine).

That said, I'm in the team car, my tour is over :cry: Logged the rest as DNS since after I looked at the bike last night and the front wheel is going into the shop so I'm not getting it back until next week. I really need to get on the N+1 thing.

Huge props to Mark for running another awesome edition :drinker: , to my teammates :drinker: (sorry to let you down at the end!) and all of the competitors! :drinker: See you for the Vuelta!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    sorry to hear it finished that way for you mate - just look after yourself and get yourself fit and well again. It's quite worrying how we've just seemed to have a spate of falls and accidents as the challenge is winding to a close.

And to everyone else - STAY SAFE - STAY HEALTHY - AND IF YOU'RE TIRED, DON'T RIDE...ITS NOT SAFE.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Since the Vuelta isn't until September, can we run a short quick one in August based on the USA Pro Challenge?

http://www.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/

It seems like August is such a long spell between the Tours. What does everyone think?
  • verdemujer
    Options
    I was just reading the posts above. Tom - get well! Take care of yourself and the bike! At least you aren't like DCmat who posted his ankle after his wreck as his profile picture. I don't want to see the bruising - its sounds bad enough.

TBY - I guess you are so amazing with all you do for the challenges, that I'm just a little over excited and wanted to continue in August too. But I know this is a lot of work and a month off is probably what you need. Ignore me. I'm just over- excited. I'm so over-excited that I actually volunteered to be a Course Marshall for Stage 7 of the USA Pro Challenge. What better way to see the riders go by then to have front standing room keeping the folks out of their way? :bigsmile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    extra points / kudos to Clive for actually going over to France to finish off his stint on LeTour...

http://app.strava.com/activities/170647577
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I was just reading the posts above. Tom - get well! Take care of yourself and the bike! At least you aren't like DCmat who posted his ankle after his wreck as his profile picture. I don't want to see the bruising - its sounds bad enough.

TBY - I guess you are so amazing with all you do for the challenges, that I'm just a little over excited and wanted to continue in August too. But I know this is a lot of work and a month off is probably what you need. Ignore me. I'm just over- excited. I'm so over-excited that I actually volunteered to be a Course Marshall for Stage 7 of the USA Pro Challenge. What better way to see the riders go by then to have front standing room keeping the folks out of their way? :bigsmile:

Hey - i'm quite happy for someone else to run a challenge - Not sure if I'd be up for even entering it personally - i've a couple of weeks of decorating at a rental property I own in my near future, which is likely to put me off the bike completely for the duration (hence riding myself into the dirt like I've been doing this last week....)
  • verdemujer
    Options
    Hey - i'm quite happy for someone else to run a challenge - Not sure if I'd be up for even entering it personally - i've a couple of weeks of decorating at a rental property I own in my near future, which is likely to put me off the bike completely for the duration (hence riding myself into the dirt like I've been doing this last week....)

I would if I had a decent computer. We were scheduled to upgrade to IE11 at work but that's now postponed until they can fix the security patch that Microsoft did just recently that totally blows another major program for our agency into complete 'we can't work' stage. My son playing Minecraft at home has cause that computer to be the most painful and slow thing in the world. I'm not going to fix it either - not worth it. I would rather just keep saving funds and buy him a Mac so the virus junk goes away forever. Stupid Minecraft - it comes with stuff on its coat tails that I can't ditch. I hate games, innocent as any of them may seem, stuff is buried in the code that just blows the Windows op system up. Oh well.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    our yellow jersey rider is highly computer savvy, and has run the occasional challenge before now, perhaps he could be railoaded/persuaded to run something...

(i'm happy to share any spreadsheets that'd help... maybe it'd be a nice franchise deal....)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

I got in the shower yesterday when I got home from work and scrubbed all the spots again and everything looks much better today. Wish I could go out but I can hardly walk up steps/get up from sitting due to "damage" to my thigh. I don't think anything is torn/busted but I took a very hard hit at the top of the quadriceps/hip flexor area (think I landed on the handlebars as I went down with it) so any sort of lift at the thigh is painful (muscle pain, joints are fine).

That said, I'm in the team car, my tour is over :cry: Logged the rest as DNS since after I looked at the bike last night and the front wheel is going into the shop so I'm not getting it back until next week. I really need to get on the N+1 thing.

Major ouch! Take care of that thigh. Since you can't even turn over in bed without using that muscle, I hope it heals quickly. Tough way to exit. However, it was in the noble pursuit of conquering the tour so my hat goes off to you and I raise my glass in your honor. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Major ouch! Take care of that thigh. Since you can't even turn over in bed without using that muscle, I hope it heals quickly. Tough way to exit. However, it was in the noble pursuit of conquering the tour so my hat goes off to you and I raise my glass in your honor. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

+1, no FFS, plus many.....
  • mdstamand
    mdstamand Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sorry team 2, it looks like I got booted for not posting. I was on vacation and returned today. I went to log my rides (3 of them) but I no longer have a working template to update. I'm not going to try to rebuild one as that would be too time consuming and I have to start my work week now. (I am at work 13 hrs a day which means if I ride I can't do much of anything else).

I was a good challenge I wish you all the best of luck for these remaining days.

Regards,
    mdstamand
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Sorry team 2, it looks like I got booted for not posting. I was on vacation and returned today. I went to log my rides (3 of them) but I no longer have a working template to update. I'm not going to try to rebuild one as that would be too time consuming and I have to start my work week now. (I am at work 13 hrs a day which means if I ride I can't do much of anything else).

I was a good challenge I wish you all the best of luck for these remaining days.

Regards,
    mdstamand

No, that was me making a **** up and deleting your post by mistake... Post your updates and I'll back edit all the old posts in for you mate... I'm really sorry, it was my mistake... Nothing sinister just a **** up.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Seriously mate... I feel bad enough about making the initial mistake, I'm happy to reconstruct all the prior postings for you... I did actually post something I. Here to that effect a few days ago... The spreadsheet even has a note saying you are on a "road trip" so nobody nuked your postings...

You took the time to PM me and inform me you would be away, I would have to be a grade a, copper bottomed, fur lined , ocean going pillock to bump you after that...

I'm not going to grovel, but, I think you should reconsider, and post the last 3 days rides... For your teammates if nothing else...

Once again. I'm sorry i happened to make a mistake on your post... I'm a big enough buy to admit I'm far from perfect.... But I do try!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    our yellow jersey rider is highly computer savvy, and has run the occasional challenge before now, perhaps he could be railoaded/persuaded to run something...

(i'm happy to share any spreadsheets that'd help... maybe it'd be a nice franchise deal....)

Ah I'm all challenged out now until the Vuelta lol, as it's on the 23rd of August it's not far away so sandwiching another one in the middle feels overkill really, I'll now be looking more for riding for a bit of weight loss then endurance and that's challenge enough for now I think :)
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Seriously mate... I feel bad enough about making the initial mistake, I'm happy to reconstruct all the prior postings for you... I did actually post something I. Here to that effect a few days ago... The spreadsheet even has a note saying you are on a "road trip" so nobody nuked your postings...

You took the time to PM me and inform me you would be away, I would have to be a grade a, copper bottomed, fur lined , ocean going pillock to bump you after that...

I'm not going to grovel, but, I think you should reconsider, and post the last 3 days rides... For your teammates if nothing else...

Once again. I'm sorry i happened to make a mistake on your post... I'm a big enough buy to admit I'm far from perfect.... But I do try!

Easy mistake to make, I've PM'd Mike to explain, with half the team on holiday etc we need those miles and more specifically the climbing as we are very close to hitting that target.
This discussion has been closed.