Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile wake up call :)
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    jumped in for what I thought would be a mild session and did a solid 50+ minutes. I thought I'd add a bit more kick to my freestyle and separated out that section and my tracking watch told me it slowed me down considerably. Quite interesting.

@NoelFigart1 -- intrigued about adding some weights to my routine based on your results

@fishgutzy -- some day I'd like to find the time to attempt those distances!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Quick Noon Hour Splash & Dash
    250m Back
    250m Breast
    500m Crawl
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    At last a decent swim this week

1k crawl, 30 mins

(I thought it was a PB, but in fact on checking later discovered did it in 28mins back in January...l don't much enjoy doing all crawl... And I guess I have not done it since then. How on earth do you freestylers just keep it going ... ?! I much prefer mixing it up - a lot! But anyway, after a tiring month and losing my swimming mojo a bit glad to have a 'good for me' result.)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    @gentlygently, unless you're competing in an event, I don't really think anything but a good "for you" pace is anything you need to worry about! (The only person I ever compete against is me... yesterday)

I am not the world's biggest fan of crawl, either. I know, given my goals that sounds nuts, doesn't it? I do mix it up a great deal. I don't think I ever do a set of more than 500 yards crawl. And in Masters practices, there is a lot of mixing up done. That's how you get better and avoid injury.

So, yeah.... Celebrate that good for you result!

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great to see all the swims.
    I've been swimming about 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks, but not been logging them.
    Due to battling niggling issues (flu, minor injuries) the distance has been varying between half and two thirds of my usual 2.5km workout.
    I also started airbnb which has led to some inconsistency in logging as we try to get settled into the whole hosting thing.
    Well hopefully I'm back to consistent logging, and by next week the flu I currently have should be gone.

Great improvements Stephen and Noel.
    It's exciting for you both as you have been consistently seeking out those dropped times and your work is paying off.

Noel, I find weight trainng sometimes has the opposite effect - lol - but maybe with more consistency in the weight training department, I may see gains in time, rather than the slowing down that I often experience after the gym.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Another km down today. Good things include the fact that my physio has given me the ok to swim as much as I want on alternate days (no breaststroke though) and transition to ocean swimming as I feel comfortable. I also realised that this week is the first time I did 1 km of freestyle. Last year I was trying to get to doing that but breaststroke is my happy go to stroke, then I got into MMA fitness classes and swimming fell out of my training program. When I got back into the water, firstly I noticed that I sink when I am not swimming (thanks to all my pretty new muscles) and quickly found that 1 km of crawl is easy with my new fitness level! I will keep swimming going this time although I am keen to get back to all the other training as well. 5km Ocean Race in the first quarter 2017 is my goal...
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    2250m in 62 minutes, mixed strokes, 30 lengths sprint

I'm thinking I may need to give up the idea of doing a triathalon. I'd need to be able to sustain speeds of 30-40% faster. While I've seen incremental improvements over the last few months it would take several years to get to 'triathalon' pace which is about 3200m/hour. And rate of improvement is likely to slow down rather than speed up. I'm also nearing the end of my weight loss journey and cant expect to see big gains from body shape change.

Heading for vacation in the morning, likely to be out of the water for the week.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    2250m in 62 minutes, mixed strokes, 30 lengths sprint

I'm thinking I may need to give up the idea of doing a triathalon. I'd need to be able to sustain speeds of 30-40% faster. While I've seen incremental improvements over the last few months it would take several years to get to 'triathalon' pace which is about 3200m/hour. And rate of improvement is likely to slow down rather than speed up. I'm also nearing the end of my weight loss journey and cant expect to see big gains from body shape change.

Heading for vacation in the morning, likely to be out of the water for the week.

Have a great vacation!

I know several triathletes who swim no faster than you. I swim next to one most days. He isn't any faster than me. Lots of our masters group was made up of triathletes. They tend to make time up on the bike and or run but don't necessarily give up the tri idea for swim speed. The Augusta half marathon, which several of them just did, has a swim that goes with the current of the river. Also, wet suits make a difference in speed. Now, I've never done a tri but this has been my observation.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    @stephenrhinton As a turtle myself, don't be too sure. I have done several swims I am "officially" too slow to do. IF that's something you want to *ahem* tri, maybe you should anyway.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @stephenrhinton I did a Sprint tri this year and it was a lot of fun. A sprint Tri is only 750m swim and the slowest person was about 22 minutes - I was 18:36 and was the fastest in my lane and was actually the 6th person out of the water in my group of 18. The fastest person was a member of the swim team and did 750m in 12 minutes - but had trouble on the bike because he burned to much energy in the pool. The lesson go slow and consistent to save energy for the Bike and Run.

Go Register for a Sprint Tri-Athlon as they are really designed to introduce people to the sport. Or register as a 3 person team.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    45 minutes or so of uninspired, unrewarding swimming. Not sure of distance. Some days are like that. :neutral:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Competed at the North Islands this weekend. Six wins from six races, and five PBs including 3s off my 200 back and 7s off my 200 IM.

Day off today then onto the next challenge.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1500 yards 43:33. Honest, it didn't FEEL slow...

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    After being land-locked for 6 days for "Return of the Thing That Ate the Insides of Alice's Intestines," I had an awesome swim today! 63 laps (1 3/4 mile, or 3,150 yards) in ~80 minutes-- feelin' good all the way!
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    An hour of swimming. Didn't count yardage but it was a good swim. One of my previous masters swimming team members was in the lane next to me and we were sort of pushing each other. I didn't cut the hour short like I have been because I didn't want to get out before her!

On a really positive note, I went to the doctor yesterday because I haven't been able to kick the aftereffects of the cold I had (diagnosis-sinus infection) but she said "you've lost 8lbs since you were here last December" and that made me happy. I knew I had and worked to do it but it was good to hear someone else say it. :smile:
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Competed at the North Islands this weekend. Six wins from six races, and five PBs including 3s off my 200 back and 7s off my 200 IM.

Nice work!

1500 yards 43:33. Honest, it didn't FEEL slow...

Sounds good to me!
    After being land-locked for 6 days for "Return of the Thing That Ate the Insides of Alice's Intestines," I had an awesome swim today! 63 laps (1 3/4 mile, or 3,150 yards) in ~80 minutes-- feelin' good all the way!

Glad you are feeling better!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile wake up call. :dizzy:
    A little bit faster today.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I got in for MsJ's workout + enough to make it a full mile (plus one lap--thinking of Mac). Turns out I can't do math in the pool. Later last night, I figured out it was 7 laps longer. It took me a long time to feel in a groove yesterday. I really started to feel it toward the end of my workout. I'd like to be able to hop in and start swimming well: rhythm with breathing, strokes, kicks, etc, rather than finally getting around to it after 45 minutes of swimming...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Another 63 laps (~83 minutes). Was a little pokier than yesterday, but two 1.75 mile day sin a row makes me happy nonetheless!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I wish there was a like button or the ability to comment on individual posts! (Without having to use the quote process)