Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    JW, how long did it take you to be able to nail down the talent of making your own ice cream? I wonder if for me it will be like when I learned how to make rice. I burnt or under cooked at least 15 pots before finally getting it.

To get an easy base took me 2 tries, now that I've been having fun experimenting with different things some work, some don't. My advantage to that is I don't use an egg base in mine, so even my failures can become really good shakes.

There's some really basic recipes you start with those, and build from there. Hell I still burn rice that's why I get the microwave ones, my attention span sucks

ETA: Because obviously I can't spell or type this morning
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Latest ice cream creation: Almond Toffee ... might like this one better than the caramel

2112tk3.jpg

Since all the GS ice cream discussion, think I might see if I can come up with either a Samoa or Thin Mint Ice cream recipe .. will take lots of experimenting and taste testing

Yum. I love Toffee-- I made these awesome toffee cookies at Christmas that were absolutely divine. In ice cream they'd be divine squared.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had a Twix ice cream bar. Man I love those.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Got this the other day and I finally got to it tonight:

haagen+daz+gelato+tiramisu+pint+2014.jpg

It's good. It's definitely got the tiramisu flavor down. The ladyfingers aren't too bad either. They're not crunchy, which you kind of expect with ice cream sometimes.

By comparison though, Breyer's Tiramisu gelato is better. It's lighter/fluffy, has the cocoa dusting and the ladyfingers are spongey. BUT, Haagan Dasz definitely has the flavor down. So yeah, I'd eat it again. But if both were on sale and I had to choose, I'd go with the Breyer's. Plus Breyer's is alot less calories. lol
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Tiramisu Haagen Dazs gelato.

It's what's for dinner.

I really like it.

10274198_10152118884050811_7233514494975669092_n.jpg

lol how did I miss your post?!! Great minds must think alike.
  • Ninkyou
    Options

It's good. It's definitely got the tiramisu flavor down. The ladyfingers aren't too bad either. They're not crunchy, which you kind of expect with ice cream sometimes.

By comparison though, Breyer's Tiramisu gelato is better. It's lighter/fluffy, has the cocoa dusting and the ladyfingers are spongey. BUT, Haagan Dasz definitely has the flavor down. So yeah, I'd eat it again. But if both were on sale and I had to choose, I'd go with the Breyer's. Plus Breyer's is alot less calories. lol
    I'm lost, are you saying that you would prefer the lady fingers to be sponge or crunchy?

Spongey. I'm not into crunchy cookies.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    It's because you have them in a folder called Mobile Uploads. The space freaks MFP out. Try putting them in your main bucket or create a folder with no spaces in the name for them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I felt the same way about the Ben and Jerry's version. Except it had better ladyfingers than the Breyers, but the rest of it didn't measure up.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Speaking of, I saw several ice creams at Target today which I didn't buy:

Ben & Jerry's
    Rockin Blondies
    Peanut butter world
    Peanut butter jam session

And...................

5du088P.jpg?1

Looked interesting.

It's very good. We have a bodega two blocks away that sells it from time to time. But then again I am very biased toward Haagen Dazs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    MrM (or whoever :wink: ) is the caramel cone HD worth the calories? 320 seems excessive even for really good ice cream.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I had this one this morning. I won't be able to buy Jeni's for while, so I'm trying to make it last. I hope it resized.

IMAG0693_zpszyf4wxdw.jpg

...why is this not in my freezer? I feel like a lot of these amazing ice creams you guys are posting aren't around in Canada! Haven't tried gelato or talenti I feel so left out now haha, I may need to do some exploring, I wonder if I'll have some luck at this one store here, like a grocery store but I believe it's Italian or some sort of specialty store... maybe I'll go there in the near future and see if I have any luck...
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I don't have a pic, but I polished off a container of Coconut Almond and Chocolate Chip ice cream from HEB this weekend. YUMMO. It's the store-brand, but they are friggin delicious. They make the best peanut butter cup ice cream I've tried!

Next on my list is to find some of this Talenti everyone raves about. I can't find it anywhere!! :cry:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Just made some Coffee Ice cream can't wait for dessert tonight! :heart:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Combining two of your loves... I think it is B&J that makes a Coffee Heath Bar Crunch ice cream that I love... haven't seen it in a while, not sure if it is still available.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Combining two of your loves... I think it is B&J that makes a Coffee Heath Bar Crunch ice cream that I love... haven't seen it in a while, not sure if it is still available.
    '

Our Walmart carries it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

I've had that it's pretty good.

For a few days I want to stay away from peanut butter (that's gonna be hard) so figured the coffee ice cream would be a good replacement.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm a big caramel head too. What are you top three favorite carmel favorites MrM27 and what brands?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    The only caramel ice cream I've had that I didn't like was HD salted caramel-- I thought it was just too much.

I'm still torn on Steve's-- trying to decide whether I want to try another pint.