Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Anyone have experience with Three Twins ice cream? I've never had it. It's heavily discounted at my local WF this weekend in celebration of their store opening anniversary. Lemon Cookie sounds interesting.

Sadly they did not have lemon cookie or any of the flavors suggested. No Jeni's either which I've heard people say they get at Whole Foods. I think I'm going to have a hard time finding unique flavors in the wilds of Iowa. I did pick up these four:

2w3dgtv.jpg

Sea salt caramel, chocolate peanut butter cup, caramel truffle swirl, butterscotch pecan
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Anyone have experience with Three Twins ice cream? I've never had it. It's heavily discounted at my local WF this weekend in celebration of their store opening anniversary. Lemon Cookie sounds interesting.

Sadly they did not have lemon cookie or any of the flavors suggested. No Jeni's either which I've heard people say they get at Whole Foods. I think I'm going to have a hard time finding unique flavors in the wilds of Iowa. I did pick up these four:

2w3dgtv.jpg

Sea salt caramel, chocolate peanut butter cup, caramel truffle swirl, butterscotch pecan

Did you try their locator? http://jenis.com/where-to-buy/
  • fullersun35
    Options

2w3dgtv.jpg

Thank you! I wouldn't have guessed Target would have expensive ice cream.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

2w3dgtv.jpg

Your Target carries it?! None of the ones here do. But I have a few organic markets close to my office where I can get it. I'm curious how much it is there. It's $12 here.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Your Target carries it?! None of the ones here do. But I have a few organic markets close to my office where I can get it. I'm curious how much it is there. It's $12 here.

It's 10.99 here. I didn't think it was worth it, but I'm going to try making the base in my ice cream maker.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

It's 10.99 here. I didn't think it was worth it, but I'm going to try making the base in my ice cream maker.

I still have to make room in my kitchen for an ice cream maker! I thought it was worth it, just not really in my budget.
  • fullersun35
    Options
    Am I supposed to stand on my head to see that picture?

I'll try it bigger. The descriptions on the containers aren't that great anyway.

sz7kg6.jpg
  • fullersun35
    Options
    MrM - what's the best gelato/ice cream place in Manhattan? I'll be there for the marathon later this year and am planning to do pizza + ice cream afterward.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously not MrM, but I do live in NYC. Some of the best ice cream in the city is outside of Manhattan in the "outer" boroughs, so if you're planning on heading to Brooklyn or Queens I can give recommendations. For Manhattan though:

The ice cream from the Van Leeuwen truck is absolutely incredible. They've got a couple locations in Manhattan. They also sell by the pint at various stores:

http://www.vanleeuwenicecream.com/?page_id=15

Il laboratorio del gelato is pretty much considered the best damn gelato in this city. It's down in the LES.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/il-laboratorio-del-gelato-new-york
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

2w3dgtv.jpg

They don't in my neck of the woods either.

I end up going to this out of the way store that does a bunch of really great artisan brands. Their Brambleberry Crisp is worth the money and day.
  • fullersun35
    Options
    I'm obviously not MrM, but I do live in NYC. Some of the best ice cream in the city is outside of Manhattan in the "outer" boroughs, so if you're planning on heading to Brooklyn or Queens I can give recommendations. For Manhattan though:

The ice cream from the Van Leeuwen truck is absolutely incredible. They've got a couple locations in Manhattan. They also sell by the pint at various stores:

http://www.vanleeuwenicecream.com/?page_id=15

Il laboratorio del gelato is pretty much considered the best damn gelato in this city. It's down in the LES.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/il-laboratorio-del-gelato-new-york

Thanks! My sister lives in Brooklyn - Flatbush area, so I may spend a little time there too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm going to withhold my review of Steve's Salty Caramel until tomorrow, because the serving I got had almost no caramel in it. Hopefully they'll be more farther down in the pint.

I have tried a couple of flavors of theirs - not a huge fan.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

2w3dgtv.jpg

They don't in my neck of the woods either.

I end up going to this out of the way store that does a bunch of really great artisan brands. Their Brambleberry Crisp is worth the money and day.

I really need to try that one. I was going to head over to Balducci's, but I need to get to the gym. It's going to happen, though! :bigsmile:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Happy Saturday all my friends. Hopefully you guys have got some great things lined up.

Happy Saturday! I got some Breyer's chocolate chip waffle cone (the one Acrylics posted earlier) I'm going to break into, and the Electric Run tonight. :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!

The jambalaya the other night was so good I decided I should try to recreate it today and I think I'm going to make Almond Toffee Ice cream haven't decided yet though. I think I found the vanilla base recipe for Steve's ice cream too so that is on the list to try soon, if it comes out good I'll post it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday all my friends. Hopefully you guys have got some great things lined up.

Happy Saturday!

I'm attending a kids Birthday Party this afternoon, so I'm sure there will be all sorts of yummy cakiness.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

2w3dgtv.jpg

Found some today ($4 a pint at Shop Rite, which isn't on their store locator), but only sea salt caramel (I have some Talenti left), vanilla, raspberry and the lemon one and I'm not too fond of lemon, so I didn't get any... I got this instead

510-721756-Blsts_Smos_300x300.jpg

I've actually wanted to buy it forever so I figured they didn't have the chocolate waffle cone mentioned above (sadface), so I'd try this one. Pretty delicious for 140 calories a serving.