Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I had the Three Twins caramel truffle swirls tonight. I didn't take pics because it just looked like vanilla. I was underwhelmed. The flavor was good. The texture was grainy. There was only one truffle in mine and the rest of the pint looked similar. It was 230 calories for only 85 grams.
    Didn't even know that flavor existed.

You're having some bad luck with bad batches lately huh

Yep. I wonder on those two if the texture is a consequence of bringing them home in the hot car-- they were pretty melty and then refroze.

But seriously-- where are my mix-ins? :angry: :angry: :angry:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Saw this online today, and it reminded me of one of my all time favorite desserts: Cinder Cake.

I never thought about using different flavor combinations though, but I thought this group might come up with some creative suggestions. Like what could we put with everyone's favorite - Talenti Salted Caramel? I would vote for those Milano Salted Pretzel cookies... Or Pecan Sandies with Butter Pecan ice cream?

Sidekick-Inline-NEW-Ice-Box-Cake-Oreo-Mint-Cream-Dessert-Sweet.jpg

http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/national/17499/Oreo_Ice_Cream_and_Cool_Whip_Ice_Cream_Cake_Recipe.htm
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Wow that looks messy to make. :laugh:

I'd put my brown butter snickerdoodles with my Jeni's brambleberry crisp.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Funny you say that about the brown butter snickerdoodles - I was just looking up a recipe for those! I have a trivia night tomorrow night and think I'm going to take them. Either that or salted caramel brownies. Or chocolate gooey butter cookies. I haven't decided.

Does your BB Snickerdoodle recipe have 1 TBSP of Greek Yogurt in it? This recipe I found on Pinterest does, seems interesting.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Funny you say that about the brown butter snickerdoodles - I was just looking up a recipe for those! I have a trivia night tomorrow night and think I'm going to take them. Either that or salted caramel brownies. Or chocolate gooey butter cookies. I haven't decided.

Does your BB Snickerdoodle recipe have 1 TBSP of Greek Yogurt in it? This recipe I found on Pinterest does, seems interesting.

I'll look when I get home-- I can't remember.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had the Three Twins caramel truffle swirls tonight. I didn't take pics because it just looked like vanilla. I was underwhelmed. The flavor was good. The texture was grainy. There was only one truffle in mine and the rest of the pint looked similar. It was 230 calories for only 85 grams.
    Didn't even know that flavor existed.

You're having some bad luck with bad batches lately huh

Yep. I wonder on those two if the texture is a consequence of bringing them home in the hot car-- they were pretty melty and then refroze.

But seriously-- where are my mix-ins? :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm not having much luck with Three Twins lately either. I tried the Butterscotch Pecan, and my first bite tasted like I ate a spoonful of milk. It took me a couple of bites to realize that it was their butterscotch flavor. I googled reviews and came across the ice cream cleanse thread - lolbroscience gave it 7.5/10, so it must not be all bad for some people.

I also tried the Three Twins Chocolate Peanut Butter cup. It was a little light on the mix-ins, and they also tasted like generic imitaton peanut butter cups. Not Reeses. Big turnoff for me.

Sorry, no pictures. My SO looks at me like I'm nuts when I take pics of ice cream :-)
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Saw this online today, and it reminded me of one of my all time favorite desserts: Cinder Cake.

I never thought about using different flavor combinations though, but I thought this group might come up with some creative suggestions. Like what could we put with everyone's favorite - Talenti Salted Caramel? I would vote for those Milano Salted Pretzel cookies... Or Pecan Sandies with Butter Pecan ice cream?

http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/national/17499/Oreo_Ice_Cream_and_Cool_Whip_Ice_Cream_Cake_Recipe.htm

My husband's family makes a version of this every Easter for dessert. It's layers of Oreo cookie, vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce and cool whip. The sauce layer is an important addition.
    i'd recommend making it for a crowd or cutting the recipe in half. A 9 x 13 pan of it lasts forever in my house.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Huh. Reminds me of Diana Torte:

100_4066_1.JPG

Crushed macaroons (hard kind obviously), chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup, crushed heath bars, coffee ice cream, more heath bars and more chocolate sauce.

ETA: Random photo off the internet, so I'm not quite sure what else is on top in this version.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

My husband's family makes a version of this every Easter for dessert. It's layers of Oreo cookie, vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce and cool whip. The sauce layer is an important addition.
    i'd recommend making it for a crowd or cutting the recipe in half. A 9 x 13 pan of it lasts forever in my house.

When we had it as kids I am pretty sure it was something like this:

Oreo cookies mixed with melted butter and pressed in a 9x13
    Vanilla or Mint Chip Ice Cream
    Crumbled Oreos on top
    Hershey's syrup drizzled over the whole thing

I don't think we had Cool Whip, but that was fine, I'm not a Cool Whip fan.

A friend informed me she makes something similar in a loaf pan - cookie layer, ice cream, then chocolate sauce or caramel and freeze. She said her favorite combo is shortbread cookies with cherry garcia ice cream and chocolate sauce...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Finished off my Jeni's and my Talenti toasted almond. Down to 7 flavors to finish. lol

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt a chocolate malt with Jeni's base recipe.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm about to head out of the office and go to Balducci's to pick up some brambleberry crisp and Gelato Fiasco! *giggity* I'm going to bring it back to the office, since they have more room than me, plus I eat more ice cream at work than I do at home. :wink:
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It's not just you - Jeni's is ok but not worth the high cost to me. Steve's on the other hand - less expensive and way better in my opinion. Jeni's has a cookbook though - so if you are a big fan you can make it at home without the cost. Steve's Mexican Chili Chocolate is so good - I would try others but I always go back to that one.

eta: From what I have seen here it looks like if you are going to go with Steve's go with the dairy - the non-dairy didn't get good reviews (I didn't realize they had non-dairy until I was looking at the site online a few days ago). The Salty Caramel and the Mexican Chili Chocolate are both dairy. And apparently I need to get some talenti because everyone seems to rave about it - saw it today when I was out but didn't get it which I am now regretting.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    It's not just you - Jeni's is ok but not worth the high cost to me. Steve's on the other hand - less expensive and way better in my opinion. Jeni's has a cookbook though - so if you are a big fan you can make it at home without the cost. Steve's Mexican Chili Chocolate is so good - I would try others but I always go back to that one.

You just reminded me to check to see if they got Steve's Sunday Morning yet. Thanks! :drinker:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I think I'm going to try another pint of Steve's. It got such great reviews I think I must have just gotten a bad one. Usually MrM and I like similar things-- there are a couple of exceptions but not many.

I really enjoyed the Jeni's I bought but it's just so expensive. I'll let ya'll know how my concoction turns out.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing much in the ice cream department lately. I've had a pretty rough past few days... car accident and all that.
    Anyway, went to the State Fair and one of the local creameries had a truck out with homemade ice creams. Hubby got an Orange Pineapple ice cream. I got the Salted Caramel, which ended up having surprise bits of pretzel in it. It was REALLY good.

icecream.jpg

Also had Talenti Fudge Brownie the other day. Shoprite had Talenti on sale this week and I couldn't resist picking up some. :)
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options

You just reminded me to check to see if they got Steve's Sunday Morning yet. Thanks! :drinker:

Oh I just looked at that at their site - that sounds so good!
  • sunburntgalaxy
    Options

I think I'm going to try another pint of Steve's. It got such great reviews I think I must have just gotten a bad one. Usually MrM and I like similar things-- there are a couple of exceptions but not many.

I really enjoyed the Jeni's I bought but it's just so expensive. I'll let ya'll know how my concoction turns out.

From what I have seen the dairy flavors of Steve's are great and the non-dairy not so much (the ones in here that were meh were all non-dairy flavors) so if you can get one of the dairy flavors I would say go with that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

From what I have seen the dairy flavors of Steve's are great and the non-dairy not so much (the ones in here that were meh were all non-dairy flavors) so if you can get one of the dairy flavors I would say go with that.

I got the salty caramel. The flavor was great but there was almost no caramel in it. It looks like most of it pooled in the bottom so I bet I'll like the last serving.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I haven't been doing much in the ice cream department lately. I've had a pretty rough past few days... car accident and all that.
    Anyway, went to the State Fair and one of the local creameries had a truck out with homemade ice creams. Hubby got an Orange Pineapple ice cream. I got the Salted Caramel, which ended up having surprise bits of pretzel in it. It was REALLY good.

icecream.jpg

Also had Talenti Fudge Brownie the other day. Shoprite had Talenti on sale this week and I couldn't resist picking up some. :)

Oh no I hope you're okay and resting up. :frown:

How did you feel about the fudge brownie? I liked it alright, better than double dark chocolate, but not as well as chocolate peanut butter cup.