Share Your Sweets!

Options

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    My boyfriend's brother was in town this weekend for his birthday, so I was excited that we were getting a tres leches. I was less excited that we ended up with a chocolate one, and that it was tainted with fruit (I'm not a huge fruit lover). It wasn't bad, but definitely did not satisfy the tres leches craving.

Are those strawberries dipped in strawberry coating or something? They look like peppers.

Luckily it was consumed at a brewery. They only had 3 beers on tap, a pils, a wheat IPA, and a double IPA. I was happiest as I was the only one who like IPAs.

That's pretty much a complete beer menu - not much else needed (I kid, I kid. I also enjoy IPAs, though some of the California IPAs / doubles are getting ridiculously over-hopped).

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    My boyfriend's brother was in town this weekend for his birthday, so I was excited that we were getting a tres leches. I was less excited that we ended up with a chocolate one, and that it was tainted with fruit (I'm not a huge fruit lover). It wasn't bad, but definitely did not satisfy the tres leches craving.

Are those strawberries dipped in strawberry coating or something? They look like peppers.

Luckily it was consumed at a brewery. They only had 3 beers on tap, a pils, a wheat IPA, and a double IPA. I was happiest as I was the only one who like IPAs.

That's pretty much a complete beer menu - not much else needed (I kid, I kid. I also enjoy IPAs, though some of the California IPAs / doubles are getting ridiculously over-hopped).

Ha, yeah, strawberries in some kind of sauce with peaches. And I hate pilsners, so I was slightly disappointed, but I definitely got the better end of the stick.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    One of my almost 13yo daughters undertook a cookie baking challenge from us -- there is a cookie exchange among her friends tomorrow, and we basically left her to her own devices (with necessary ingredients and a recipe) to prepare snickerdoodles. She wasn't the best at following directions clearly, and the blobs of severely irregular dough on the cookie sheet did not look promising. She skipped several steps and sort of winged it at the end, all the time with pretty good humor and lack of drama at how disappointing the effort looked like it might turn out.

Last night, a few minutes before the timer went off (she subsequently used a toothpick to determine that they needed several more minutes), I walked out of the kitchen and exclaimed "Holy crap, Sophie! Your cookies actually look like real snickerdoodles." We had been expecting them to look like some mix of cookie and roadkill. She responded gleefully "I know, right? How did that happen? I can't wait to taste them."

Not the best I've ever had, but nowhere near the worst. We had one or two last night, and I surreptitiously stole one this afternoon. I like snickerdoodles and she is now empowered to make more whenever she likes.

6pnkrae0vfod.jpg
  • auddii
    Options
    This is how I'm spending my day tomorrow:
    20141211_184106_zpsncanonjs.jpg

20141211_184047_zpseqrmyyf2.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    One of my almost 13yo daughters undertook a cookie baking challenge from us -- there is a cookie exchange among her friends tomorrow, and we basically left her to her own devices (with necessary ingredients and a recipe) to prepare snickerdoodles. She wasn't the best at following directions clearly, and the blobs of severely irregular dough on the cookie sheet did not look promising. She skipped several steps and sort of winged it at the end, all the time with pretty good humor and lack of drama at how disappointing the effort looked like it might turn out.

Last night, a few minutes before the timer went off (she subsequently used a toothpick to determine that they needed several more minutes), I walked out of the kitchen and exclaimed "Holy crap, Sophie! Your cookies actually look like real snickerdoodles." We had been expecting them to look like some mix of cookie and roadkill. She responded gleefully "I know, right? How did that happen? I can't wait to taste them."

Not the best I've ever had, but nowhere near the worst. We had one or two last night, and I surreptitiously stole one this afternoon. I like snickerdoodles and she is now empowered to make more whenever she likes.

6pnkrae0vfod.jpg

Awww they don't look half bad. Good for her! Baking is excellent practice for following directions: if you don't you pretty much see the consequences immediately. <3
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Have fun!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

Looks like it'll be a blast! That's what my work needs.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

6pnkrae0vfod.jpg

Snickerdoodles are my favorite and I've had some really sub-par ones this week at work. I may have to bust out a batch at home this weekend just to redeem the cookie in my mind..

Well played on getting her to bake one of your favorites. You are diabolical Cortelli...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

That looks fun! Is that for a work team building?

• Cortelli
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Snickerdoodles are my favorite and I've had some really sub-par ones this week at work. I may have to bust out a batch at home this weekend just to redeem the cookie in my mind..

Well played on getting her to bake one of your favorites. You are diabolical Cortelli...

I cannot claim to have made the decision on the cookie choice, though I may have influenced it >:)

I am working from home today and just went to try and steal another before the girl scout cookie exchange happens after school today, only to learn that the cookies are already safely at the troop leader's home :'(

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

That looks like so much fun! Post a picture of your completed one!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Today's job:

971648a6-e916-4874-bfd9-3b93d778823f_zpsc240e63a.jpg

Not my best photograph. I was in a hurry, but I wish I had rotated it so you could see more of the snowflakes.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Today's job:

Not my best photograph. I was in a hurry, but I wish I had rotated it so you could see more of the snowflakes.

Looks fantastic!
  • auddii
    Options
    Today's job:

Those are gorgeous!

Gingerbread houses are a fund raiser for the choir at the church where I ring bells. I did four houses today, and I'll post pics when I get home.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Today's job:

That's gorgeous! Love the wrapper too. Every part of the decor is in sync.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Today's job:

That's gorgeous! Love the wrapper too. Every part of the decor is in sync.

Thank you! Thanks to everyone else too.

I never thought I'd use so much of what I learned in art school while doing cupcakes.
  • auddii
    Options
    Finished products:

20141212_145301_zpsxdikdngc.jpg

My contributions:

20141212_145311_zpssk9sc1aq.jpg

20141212_145323_zpsv7kyl2pu.jpg

20141212_145338_zpsn148p6ph.jpg

20141212_145400_zpswacfeyhr.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Wow those are so awesome!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Yay! I'm glad they got there alright. Dora and I were speculating on whether the postal workers might have eaten them all. :laugh: