9/23-188.8
    9/30-187.4
    10.7-187.4
    10/14-186.0
    10/29-187.0
    11/4-187.0

Starting challenge November 4 through January 6
    11/4-187.0

I am happy staying the same, it has been a rough week, but I made it.. My goal for the Holiday Challenge is to keep eating my fiber and exercising more. I would like to lose or stay the same each week. I know that this is a tall order, but I would like to try and get out of the 180's before the new year. Believe me, I will work on it. This would not only be a great challenge, but also a great start to new me in 2017.

Gayle - I am ready for the new challenge, and will work my hardest to make these next 9 weeks my best ever.

Marney - Good job on your loss, we are getting there. If we continue these baby steps, it wont be long till we reach our goals.

You Ladies have a wonderful weekend and week. Lets get rid of those lbs. and work towards not only a great new year, but a great new us.... :) Beth
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm still hovering around 134.8.
    Darn- and the Horizon Organic Eggnog was on the shelves the day before Halloween.
    But as always my goal has been a healthy BMI and that means under 136.6.

I saw your question about gluten and went to this article.
    Marney, who makes the gluten free oatmeal? I am going to have to try it. Are all Gluten free products better for you weight wise than the regular?
    webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/truth-about-gluten?page=1
    Basically,
    Many people may just perceive that a gluten-free diet is healthier." In fact, it isn't. For people with celiac disease, a gluten-free diet is essential. But for others, "unless people are very careful, a gluten-free diet can lack vitamins, minerals, and fiber," says Green.

I'm off to the treadmill. Since March 2014 I have watched 120+ Korean dramas - though probably a third of those have been with my husband on the couch. He plays goalie in ice hockey but can still get engrossed in a saguk (historic drama) with me - he's a keeper!

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Sept 2: 166 (-3.5)
    Sept 9: 166 (-0)
    Sept 16: 166 (-0)
    Sept 23: 163 (-3)
    Sept 30: 163
    October 20: 165 (+2)
    October 31: 164 (-1)
    Nov 4: 164

Overall a 2 lb loss. Too slow for 2 months but I was away from home for a good deal of this past challenge and I am still working on accepting my new diet of no gluten, no lactose and low fat. I have been chaffing against it all the way because I am so much hungrier than I was on higher fat. But, doctor's orders. Higher fiber does help a great deal, I have found.

Starting challenge Nov 4 through January 6: 164

For this next challenge:

Lower cholesterol.
    I have to stay the course for low fat. I have a doctor's appt in early Jan and if there is a medication change, as she had threatened, then our trip to Oz may be cancelled.

Weight
    I want to get into the 150's by the end of this challenge.

Holiday Management
    Holiday season isn't that hard for me. Let me revise that. It isn't hard because of parties and food. It is hard because of no parties. I can get down and comfort eat. It is quiet time here with us usually going elsewhere for Christmas. That is all up in the air because of my niece's husband's issues. So my challenge will be to make a good Christmas with possibly just the two of us.

Action plan:
    1. Keep on my high fiber diet. I have to accept the 'old school' thinking of my nurse in the doctor's office. I don't think all fats are bad for me. But that is what she said and for this period of time, I have to accept that.
    2. Try to find a cholesterol test at the drug store so I can have an interim reading to get an idea of where I stand.
    3. Exercise. Determine why I cannot get this done.
    4. Log in every day and report here as to how the day went. I know we are doing only weekly check ins now but I find this isn't enough. Even if others check in weekly, it helps me to check on progress and goals daily.

Nine weeks to a "new me"! Good luck ladies. Meet those challenges head on!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Day 1 of the New Challenge done.

Neither good nor bad. Every item on my food diary in the red except protein and that may have been the problem.

Did fine all day. Dinner was late (like 9pm) because the roast beef was frozen. I was OK because of cheese and crackers that Peter served me with apologizes. But somehow the appetite wasn't satisfied with dinner and I went on to rice cakes and peanut butter around 10:30pm. I am not usually a late night snacker. So I ate back my exercise calories plus 100 more.

Good news? I went for a walk. Fiber was high, fat wasn't bad. Bad news? Ate back the calories at night.

Tomorrow, I am going to watch the protein level more because I think it will keep me more satisfied.
  • dasher602014
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Day 2

Golfing today so exercise got done in a big way.

Breakfast was lunch really and I had some back bacon and yogurt with fruit so I was good to go all day.

Logged what I ate but ..... we got into snacks when we came home from golf and decided that we would "graze" for dinner. Trouble is I really only had one real meal today with 'brunch' and then a snacking dinner.

I stayed within my quotas with apple and cheese and avocado dip and crackers but it was a license to eat all night. So again eating rice cakes and peanut butter at 10:30pm. Got to stop the late night snacking! Haven't done it for years.

Tomorrow is a chore day raking a tonne of leaves so meals should be more regular. Leaves are an all day affair even with tractors and blowers. We are booked for golf on Monday.

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    9/04/16: 191.1
    9/11/16: 190.9
    9/18/16: 189.5
    9/30/16: 188.5
    10/09/16:190.7
    11/06/16:193.9
    Hi Guys, so great to have you here. I realized today that I am not able to really see beyond my current worries: my son going through mysterious angst, needing to pack and simplify and find a place to move to by Dec. 14th, and my nerves being jangled by the ridiculous election. Trying to rein in the comfort eating, but you can see that I've been losing the battle, to some degree. I don't know if I will be able to lose weight this 9 weeks, but my goal, at this point, is not to gain. After my move I will set further goals.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Actually, I would like to add two goals: 1) to record my food daily, 2) to keep my food choices simpler (protein, vegi, whole grain or health shake).
  • dasher602014
    Options
    hi @gaylebodine

I hope you find a new place soon and your son gets through his rough patch. Believe me, I know what you mean about the election and I cannot vote in your election. But I wish it would be over soon. It has been a very difficult one to watch from over the border here. I don't want to get into politics here because it is not my business, but please vote, whatever you do, vote.

With all that is going on in your life, Gayle, I think you did well over the past challenge. Hang tough. It is difficult to keep your weight on project notice when other things in life are more important and urgent. Do keep eating as well as you can.

Day 3 of New Challenge (and I will stop the play by play when I get better on track).

I thought if I report my day now, I will not engage in late night eating today.

I spent 4.5 hours welding a leaf blower and rake today while Peter ran the lawn tractor with sweeper. I logged it as a slow walk. We are only about 1/3 the way through all the leaves but this week promises to be good weather so we should get it done before ice. Peter found someone to clean the eavestroughs which is great. Keeps us off ladders. Golf tomorrow so exercise is again taken care of.

Food today was good. I went over the fat grams by just a little but it was an egg for breakfast and avocado dip for lunch so not bad fats. I stayed under my calorie goal etc so I am happy and at the moment, my tummy is full. No late night eating tonight! I am determined.

I hope you too had a good day.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Well, another day in the challenge. I hope the above "like" wasn't for the comment that I would stop the daily update soon!

Day 4

No late night eating yesterday! Yeah! No change on the scale either but ....

Golf day today. Empty blue skies and just in a long sleeve golf shirt for some of the day on course. Beautiful. We lost a great many balls in the leaves though. The hazards of late season golf. After playing so well two days ago, we both had dreadful games today. We are booked for Thursday again because it will be the last day before the temperatures finally fall off on the weekend. Exercise today, done.

I ate lunch on the course and it wasn't enough. Tried popcorn when I came home but I got stuck into the cashew jar while I was making dinner. Sigh. However, with the exercise, I am allowed exercise calories and therefore more fat. All macros go up when calories increase. According to mfp, I still hit my targets today. Although, I did not eat back any of my exercise calories, I did eat back 1/2 the allowable fats. Therefore, I am well over 30% of my diet in fat!

We tried the NuPasta product with dinner tonight. (Hungarian Pork Goulash) Nupasta is the zero noodle stuff (equal carb and fiber and no other negatives or redeeming features ) so Peter can eat it and it isn't wheat so I can eat it. Rinse and add to a sauce to heat. As long as your sauce is good and hot, it works. A bit like Chinese rice noodles. On their own, slimy but in a sauce, OK.

Leaf cleaning up again tomorrow.

Another day done. And still on track, except for nuts which always stall my weight loss even if they are within my allotments. Thanks for listening!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Day 5 Yesterday

I needed retail therapy so I went and bought some double sided fleece and I am making a shrug. I fell for some knitted trim for it. It was 50% off so without thinking, I added it to my pile. At $8 a meter, and trimming a large circle of fleece, getting 6 meters sure added to the cost when I got the register! Already cut so no backing out but lesson learned and the shrug will look like a million bucks. Could have got there by spending half as much though.

Did not log all my food. Got sidetracked with watching the US election results.

Not much food in the house. Lunch was a struggle with two tortilla and a smear of cream cheese on one, a smear of avocado on the other.

Dinner was mine to make. Hard to make lemon chicken without a lemon (somehow only one got bought and I used it in the goulash recipe) but with a lemon being a 40 minute drive, I made do with a bottle of lemon juice. A covering of tomatoes, some olives, parsley and a marinade used as cooking liquid, it was good. Had to toss the beans and the salad making after checking the fridge, leaving only cabbage being edible so lemon chicken over stir fried cabbage it was. With 2 glasses of wine as we watching CBS news.

Still getting stuck into the nuts too much. But I have changed from cashews to almonds. Now I just have to reduce the number of times my hand dips into the container in the cupboard.

Weight steady this morning.

No nuts beyond my required 12 almonds today.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Day 6 Yesterday

I made my new shrug and I like it and it will be warm. I did not use the expensive trim. I did not like the look so I am going to save it for something else. Peter thinks it is OK as long as I don't wear it anywhere but home!

Food yesterday was OK except that I ate too much so I only had 130 calories left for dinner. I ate dinner anyway. A good stroganoff but we put it over mung bean noodles to meet Peter's Low Carb need and my no wheat need. They were not good. So not again and we are going to toss the rest of the package. You win some and lose some in the "alternative" food selections. So well over calories.

Day 7 Today

Went golfing and had a reasonable game. Calories and food went well. Carried lunch with us and stopped on the way home and bought dinner at a grocery store. I got salmon, roasted brussel sprouts and roasted spagetti squash. Yummm.

Hopefully weigh in goes OK tomorrow.

Talk to you then!
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    11/4-187.0
    11/11-186.8

I know its not much, but it is suprising me. My Son-In-Law was put in ICU Sunday night and probably will be there for sometime. I am going up to the hospital and babysitting the grandaughters, Needless to say, when the grandaughters want to go to McDonalds, Subway etc. not always easy. Doing alot of salads...LOL

The holidays are a tough time for me. I am doing my own challenge through them, to eat right and to watch my portions as well as my fiber and exercise. One nice thing about this year, my youngest daughter is having Christmas, so I do escape those leftovers. I hope to be in the 170's for the New Year, and I plan to work hard at getting there.

Marney - Looks like you are really working hard on this challenge, Congrats...

Gayle - Hope that your son gets through his rough times, and things get better for him soon.

Well, everyone have a great week and I know that we all have our personal goals to achieve, so I wish you all "Good Luck" and have a great weekend/week, and see you all on here next week... :)
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

Beth, I am sorry to hear of your SIL being back in hospital and ICU too. The granddaughters must be upset. Good for you for looking after yourself in this and being a steadying influence for them. Tough times.

I will be cheering for you to be in the 170's for the New Year as I look from the 150's.

My scale stayed the same today which isn't unexpected with the amount of nuts and cheese I have been eating. Nothing beyond what I should except for one day but it tells. So next week, nuts are off limits except for my 12 almonds a day. And cheese is off the menu completely.

Gayle, I hope things get better for you and the week wasn't too bad.

You both have greater challenges that weight loss at the moment but we all know that if we stay the course with the best food choices we can during difficult times, that we are better able to face what comes. Thinking of you both.

Marney

Nov 4: 164
    Nov 11: 164
  • dasher602014
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well Day 1 Week 2

Not so good ..... Ate a homemade soup for lunch and was in the bathroom for the afternoon. So soup hit the garbage. I froze it, it thawed, it upset me. No idea.

We were invited to neighbours who were up for the weekend to do their leaves and they won't be back until January. That marks the end of any neighbour's at this end of the road so winter will set in shortly.

The visit got me off track big time. 3 glasses of wine (I avoided the cheese) and another glass with my dinner when I got home. Then I have a vague memory of popcorn (with some buttered flavoured PAM - so not too wild). I haven't logged things. I suspect it wasn't too bad as far as calories because dinner was small but substituting alcohol instead of food!? I should know better.

I did get the house cleaned yesterday though. I also dreamed for the second time of leading a group of beginner canoeist down the Niagara Gorge with the falls ahead of us! Weird.

I hope you guys had an OK day with improvements in the health of those dear to you.

We got good news about my neice's husband. Since his mental illness is classified as a workplace accident, the WSIB (Workers Safety Insurance Board) has to approve his placement in residential care. They have been on holidays, losing papers and generally arguing since his suicide attempt in July. After hearing of more lost paperwork, my niece lost it on the phone and gave in to tears. They approved him within the hour and he is slated to go into care on the 15th. The hope for a 'cure' is high. Not sure how fast that will happen but at least something is being done for him.

M
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Day2 Week 2

'No nuts for a second day and the scales budged a little!

I did Ok with food (even took the crispy coated skin off my chicken) but I couldn't fall asleep. 3 episodes of Games of Thrones got me wired. I took magnesium (I have a hot drink) but that did not help. Go into the crackers. Ate about 400 calories worth of unsalted rice crackers after 1am. They don't even taste that good! But the scale moved this morning anyway.

I did do some leaves yesterday. About an hour's worth. More leaves today and stationary bike ride planned.

Have a good Sunday you guys!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Day 3

I just cannot get on track. No nuts but I ate chia pudding as well as going out for lunch. I had a beef pattie without a bun and a salad. But too much fat. Apparently chia seeds have a good deal of fat. Sigh. I was trying to add milk and fiber and I thought chia seeds were good for me.

I went to see my brother and SIL and enjoyed the day. It is about just over an hour drive to their place but I am glad I did it. We all enjoyed it. Too much time in the car though and no exercise. So leaves and stationary bike ride did not happen.

Tomorrow, tomorrow there's always tomorrow.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    11/06/16:193.9
    11/13/16:194.2
    Not much change, but things are looking up. Think I have found a new place that will be nice and it is close to a lake I like to walk around and the rec center. Glad that you guys are here--especially Marney and Beth!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hurray! @gaylebodine I am so glad you found a place. The lake and rec centre sound fantastic. I hope it becomes a sure thing soon. You need a break.

There is someone on my roof at the moment clearing eaves of leaves and scrapping moss off. I guess I could get the blower out and do leaves but his truck is in the way. I guess I could get on the stationary bike but I want to listen to something as I pedal and I need to hear when he is finished so I can pay him. There is always an excuse, isn't there?

Lovely mild, sunny day with no wind. Good for walking but I need to stay to pay him.

I hope this afternoon is still nice.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I just found this and although it is geared towards low carb dieters, I think it applies to all dieters and I guess every change we want to make. It is a podcast but very short; less than 5 minutes.

So, I have added a step towards goal. I am going to review my profile and see if my "whys" are still true and still resonant with me.

https://www.ketovangelist.com/episode-1-start-with-why/#
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Day 4 Week 2
    Changed my profile goals a little to more reflect me. It did help to redefine things more closely.

I stayed the course today. Exercised by finishing our leaves. Ate appropriately. Feeling stuffed so I think I over ate at dinner but I did log everything and it says I am within all my goals.

Golf tomorrow.