Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Day 5 Week 2

Tried to go golfing yesterday. It is about a 40 minute drive south of here. But there was so much fog that it was impossible for anyone to golf. Warm weather and cold lake water are combining to create fog the moment the sun comes up. We are going to try again on Friday which is the last day before the weather drops to freezing during the day and the last day of the course being open.

Ate well yesterday even though the day was spent Christmas shopping for books for my family and then on the sofa binge watching Game of Thrones. I like rice cakes too much but I still stayed with my limits. I have also rediscovered dried figs. Lots of fiber, no fat.

I saw a new number on the scale yesterday and it was there again today so I think it will stay! AND ..... it matches my lowest number to date! (So, back where I was when I wandered away. ... I have be almost there for so very long.) I am hopeful for a new low shortly. Unlike @gaylebodine , I did not have the guts to 'reset' to my higher number so I have not been able to track properly for months and months.

I hope all is going well for all of you.

M
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Day 6 Week 2

Well, it is Thursday. And I am still here, talking to myself! :'(

We have an Ohio low bearing down on us on the weekend, so the weather is going to change from really, really warm to really, really winter overnight. Haven't got the snows on the car so I think that is today's activity.

Weight in tomorrow and after closing the books yesterday, I took some cashews and some cheese. They were there and calling to me! I wasn't hungry but they were there. Darn. Up half a lb this morning. Why do I do that????? :/

Bearing down again today and maybe tomorrow, weigh in will be a happy dance.

I am also struggling because our fabric shop has a 50% one day sale and some lovely sweater knits. I have enough fabric! And, on Monday I am going to the city with my SIL until Thursday just to have a girl's time. I am sure there will be some shopping and fabric there. As well as transportation, hotel, eating and entertainment costs. So I don't need to spend before I go. But they are 50% off! I must be strong against temptation of all sorts. o:) (But I am old and life is short) >:)
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    oh Marney - you're not talking to yourself! I haven't been posting much myself but I do listen in and admire your daily effort to hold yourself accountable. I am at 135.4 this morning, a bit more than I want to be though the endocrinologist who saw me last week for my thyroid number check said I was doing great!

Fabric & yarn - made me smile... we have much in common. On top of my own collection, some from when I was a kid, I took in some of my mom's stash while emptying their house. And I have a 4-drawer dresser of fat squares and batiks...

pqr9xlhtam0o.jpg
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Day 7 Week 2

Yeah!!!! Scales were down.

Nov 4: 164
    Nov 11: 164
    Nov 18: 163 (-1)

I am trying to stay with logging. Even going back a day to complete the logging. I am also trying to stay really honest about the log. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday because I was still on track despite a surplus of rice crackers (apparently there is little food value in them!)

Today is a beautiful warm sunny day. We were supposed to golf. Last day. The course will be closing. The storms are a coming. But ...... 3 days ago, I woke up with a stiff neck and even with pills it still hurts .... alot. So not golfing, not walking, not exercising. And today I want to because it is BEAUTIFUL out and it changes on the weekend.

However, we got the snows on the car so we are now within the 'regs' of our insurance discount. (They want the snows on from October 31 to April 30). The discount is so small, I am wondering if the wear on the tires in really worth it! But we are ready for the weekends blast.

How about everyone else? @gaylebodine , have you found a new place? How is your son doing? Are you logging your food?

Looking forward to hearing from others!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    1/06/16:193.9
    11/13/16:194.2
    11/20/16:195.5
    Really am out of control, a lot of comfort eating. Every morning vow that I will get back on track and every day comfort eating takes the fore. I think that my stress related to the move may not be entirely managed until after the move. Great resources in the neighborhood (rec center, great place to walk) after the move. Still not sure about the date--some time between the 1st and the 17th of December. Think when things are more definite I will feel better. Will look into seeing the acupuncturist this next week. She might be able to help. Think the big goals will be for the new year. Hate that I've cut my losses from 50 pounds to in the 20's. But can make that progress again, no reason to "give up" and don't intend to.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Oh, people, there are people here! So excited!

Pam, @MapDancer , your cupboard is so beautiful. And it is a purpose designed room too. My cupboard is part of our diningroom and I am always concerned about moths and other gremlins so my fabric is all in plastic ziploc bags and jammed into my cupboard. Not near so pretty. On top of that, I have to move diningroom chairs to even open the door to dream!

I did not go to the fabric sale. My back has been so awful, a headache that was a helmet of pain for days unless I was on pain killers which muted it. I am finally more myself today. DH has been picking me up and allowing my back and neck to crack and crunch into alignment again. 5 times yesterday and today, cut the pain killers in half and much, much better. All stemming from a back accident in my youth. I really do know how to keep my back and neck in alignment. Internet research here I come! Because of said back, I gave up yesterday and snacked all day on rice cakes and things. Gained 2.5lbs! It should go away again fast, but that is never possible, is it?

I felt better last night so started on a chenille bathrobe. A butter yellow which should go with my light blue and yellow PJs that I bought at SOMA in the states year ago now. Chenille leaves bits everywhere! Don't know if it will stop or whether I have to back track and finish the seams different. Not what you want to play with in your dining/living area the night before guests! We are expecting my brother and SIL so my SIL and I can take off the city tomorrow. It is snowing and freezing out and they don't like winter driving so I am watching for them and hope they arrive soon. Will try to log in from the city to keep my streak going.

Gayle @gaylebodine , you are doing OK on your stress eating, after all, I caught up to your two week total in one day! Around here, it is always finding a place at all versus finding a place you like. Your new place sounds fantastic. I am weird, I like the actual moving process. I don't like change much but I like packing and sorting an admiring things that are meaningful to me and getting rid of stuff that isn't useful anymore. I know weird.

My lonely Christmas just changed. My niece will have her DH home from the hospital for the weekend so her parents have decided not to leave the province in case they are needed (last year, we had to rush into the breach) but they want my niece/husband to have some time together and with his family so they have asked to spend Christmas with us! So things are looking up for guests.

Talk soon. Good to hear from you!
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,. Not weighing this week, I know Im over, haven't really been dieting much, I have had the grandkids and running to hospital for SIL. Tired week, hope to get back on a somewhat normal track this week.

Hope everyone has a great week.

See you all Friday.......Beth
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Beth @gmabethof3 , your load is a bit heavy at the moment. Dieting takes a back seat to all else. Just take care of yourself in all of your activities.

I am better this morning (although not completely mended) but I stepped on the scales and I am down a lb and 1/2 overnight. Just so you what stress and inflammation will do to weigh.

Off to the city in an hour. Wind, snow etc etc outside. Brrrrrr.

Keep well all. Talk soon.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    11/4 - 187.0
    11/11 - 186.8
    11/18 -
    11/25 - 189.8

UGH!!!! was hoping to get down to the 170's before this challenge was over, don't see that happening. When I entered my weight, MFP congradulated me for loosing over 100 lbs...LOL... I went back and redid it and it showed the correct weight, so if you see I lost 100 lbs..Didn't happen.....I was shooting for less than that...

SIL is still in hospital, I am babysitting after schools each day. They are moving him to a rehab hospital, his memory is still not all there and they are hoping that this will work.

Hope that those who celebrate Thanksgiving had a great day. I am sitting at home today, (walking as much as possible...need it after yesterday...LOL) Its Black Friday and I do not do Black Friday crowds, not for me.

Well hope everyone has a great week, and I am going to work on getting very serious this week. Don't have left overs in the house, so hopefully that will be easy.

Good Luck to all, and hope to see you all next week......Beth
  • MapDancer
    Options
    11/25 136.0
    I was naturally hesitant to step on the scales this morning, but not too bad. I look forward to making Turkey-Lemon-Barley Soup with leftovers .. tomorrow.

I haven't even had breakfast yet and have already spent $$ shopping. I don't do the crowds either but online sales make it easy to get some deals without getting out of my pjs. My treadmill sneakers are 30% off today on amazon.

Keep well, keep active - the coming weeks can be very challenging, even maintaining is an accomplishment.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi all,

Good to hear from you! Black Friday isn't a 'thing' here although we are importing it a little to keep Canadian dollars from leaking over the border. But with our dollar's fall in value against the US dollar over the last 2 years, it isn't such a worry anymore.

I am back from the big city. We enjoyed our holiday with lovely meals, visits to Norstom's, Saks and Winners. (The only one I could afford was Winners and just got a sweater). We did get some sewing supplies like fold over elastics and zippers and I did get a yard of fabric while in one store. A couple of books for Christmas presents and we were done. Very cold and wet and we did a good deal of walking so my legs are tired. Ate what I wanted though and .....

Nov 25: 163.5 (+.5)

So, not bad for a holiday return. I also am off the pain killers for my neck and back. Still there a little but so much better and as Peter says, I am not bent anymore. Phew! Almost back to normal aches and pains.

Have the best Thanksgiving you can! Turkey-Lemon-Barley soup sounds awesome, @MapDancer. I hope the rehab hospital helps your SIL, @gmabethof3 , they can work wonders. And I am thinking of you packing up @gaylebodine .

Talk soon.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Well.... 4 days of trying to stay consistent. I have to admit, I am discouraged. My neck woke me up again last night. Pain is gone this morning but lack of sleep never helps my mood.

I walked yesterday again. A good thing, I went about 4 -5 kms uphill out to the highway. Peter was in town mailing Christmas packages to Oz so I picked up a ride on the way back. It felt good to know that I can do uphill and a fair distance still. It is grey, around freezing and overcast today. Not appealing for a walk but I think I will make the effort later.

Weight will not budge this week and it is frustrating.

I hope all of you are having an OK week. I have to get into the Christmas spirit because I have to get shopping online to get it here in time and get other things mailed to get them there on time. Bah Humbug.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Dec 2: 163.5 (no change)

I saw 162.5 on the scales this week but not this morning. Sigh.

I keep thinking of you @gaylebodine and @gmabethof3 and all that you two are going through. I know it is difficult to add to your 'to do' lists but I have to admit, I am lonely here. I have reached out to more active groups to fulfill my need for more encouragement. I tried to add some one here but we aren't active enough to create interest. Do we need to add some point games and weekly challenges to create more interest for ourselves? Or create different discussions around research topics or something? Or is life just so overwhelming at the moment, and I should wait until people have more time? Or have we lost focus on weight loss so it just isn't important at the moment and we should stop? Or this group should stop? Or should I just keep blathering on here, posting for myself?

help gang.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    11/4 - 187.0
    11/11 - 186.8
    11/18 - did not weigh
    11/25 - 189.8
    12/2 - 190.0

What can I say, sure not going to hit 170's this challenge.. Maybe I'll do better without goals, worth a try, what could I lose?

Pam, you sound like me, I am on line picking up deals even before breakfast... Amazon has been my favorite shopping, and I can even do it in PJ's..LOL

Marney, Thank you for thinking of us. SIL is still in hospital, not sure how long he's going to be there. He is showing signs of getting better mentally, we are all hoping and praying that he will be better soon so he could come home for Christmas. His girls have been able to visit a few times, but they want him home so bad. Its really sad, the youngest is having the hardest time.

My son who lives out of town will be in next weekend, so we will be having our family Christmas, I looking forward to my son being here, but I just can't believe that it is Christmas already.

This time of year is so hard to be on the diet, but we are all doing the best that we can, and we can't expect any more than that. So lets all have a good week, and try our best, I know I will (try). that's all we can do.

Probably will not be weighing till next Sunday, We are having Christmas at my daughters house, and I will be staying there for a few.

Everyone have a great week and I will see you next week. :)

• dasher602014
    Options
    @gmabethof3 , thanks for checking in. I am so sorry that things are so difficult for you and yours. The children are so lucky to have such an engaged grandmother. Your son being home will be a help, I am sure.

Have a good week, or at least the best you can in the circumstances. I will be here next week (and perhaps during the week) as usual. Thinking of you.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    1/06/16:193.9
    11/13/16:194.2
    11/20/16:195.5
    11/27/16: did not weigh
    12/03/16: 195.9
    Actually the 195.9 is a big win because I actual saw 201.5 on my scale since I checked in on the 20th. I have been doing some serious comfort eating but think I might be returned from my long fall of the path. Recording again and seeing the results. I sign my lease today (finally) and not feeling so frantic. Moving either the 10th or 17th. Will know when I sign the lease. Man, the older I've gotten the more punishing it has become to move. Thanks so much for being here!!!!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I am going into Toronto for a visit and a lunch with friends. I will try to sign on but if I cannot, thinking of you and I will be back Saturday night.

Marney
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    11/4 - 187.0
    11/11 - 186.8
    11/18 - did not weigh
    11/25 - 189.8
    12/2 - 190.0
    12/11 - 191.2

Hi Ladies, didnt do that great this week, but only gaining 1.2 lbs. celebratng Christmas and still sitting with the grandkids each day. So I guess I am ok with the results.

It was so good to have my son and daughter in law come in for our Christmas celebration and it was so good to see all the kids together again. My son and daughter in law are coming here today and stay all night before heading home early tomorrow morning, we are planning on going out to Long Horn Steak House, and spend time together (back to the diet tomorrow)! :)

Two more weeks of shopping left to do, is everyone ready? There are a few things left for me to do, I have another Christmas on Christmas day with friends.

Hope that all you ladies are having a great week and I look forward in seeing you all back here next week...Beth :)

• dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am so glad you got to see all the family, Beth. It is nice to make Christmas a movable feast. Not great on the diet, but wonderful for the spirit.

4 days in Toronto with friends and ..... 163 when I got home so

Dec 2: 163.5 (no change)
    Dec 11: 163 (-.5)

I seem to be in maintenance mode at the moment. I wanted down so I have to work a little harder.

Gayle, I have been watching you log your exercise. Physical work does that for you but moving just isn't my idea of fun! I hope you get settled soon.

Talk later.

marney
  • MapDancer
    Options
    This article sounds like it had me in mind - and most appropriate for women over 50.
    https://verywell.com/the-best-form-of-exercise-for-preventing-weight-gain-2509625?utm_campaign=wilat&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=8351213&utm_term=

I am looking forward to my second annual Weight Control Registry Questionnaire. Last year I was surprised when they asked how many flights of stairs you go UP in a week. So, I have been tracking that for the last two weeks so I'll be ready this time. Week 1: 106, Week 2: 124. Each flight of stairs in my house is 14 steps. You can see how that can really burn some cookies!!